Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. U

SPvTGS

That guy sounds really REALLY bored...

Anyways though, this is starting to actually look pretty alright. Still easier then a game ever should be, but not so bad..

Still hanging on to that tiny thread of hope that this game has online multiplayer, I mean a social console focusing on social interactivity with others is sure to have online multiplayer in it's 1st party most popular social game right?

Right?

Still hanging on to that tiny thread of hope that this game has online multiplayer, I mean a social console focusing on social interactivity with others is sure to have online multiplayer in it's 1st party most popular social game right?

Right?

Gonna quote Toy Story for this one.

"Don't count on it."

The magic 8 ball never lies.

Oh...well that's...okay

I have no problem with Nintendo....not trying to do online, for a social interaction console.

Nor do I have any problem if they come up with some excuse like "We didn't want any lag"

Nope. No problem at all....

tumblr_libtarcnQy1qzw68e.gif

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 5

That guy sounds really REALLY bored...

Anyways though, this is starting to actually look pretty alright. Still easier then a game ever should be, but not so bad..

The guy commentating isn't playing..

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario's model in the thumbnail of that video is really fucking lazy, just look at that psuedo arm

Looks great to me, even seeing the same few levels again and again it looks fun to replay for speed-runs, exploration, etc.

I have noticed whenever the player stops, Mario looks directly at them as an idle animation. That is a nice little detail.

Also I'm trying to figure out if the star constellations in the background of the ice level are a reference to any of the constellations that appear in Mario Party 9. I have only made out the smaller ones like the isosceles triangle and a flipped L like Waluigi's.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Super Mario Bros. U to be better then NSMB2.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/24/new-super-mario-bros-u-will-be-even-better-than-new-super-mario-bros-2/

New Super Mario Bros. producer Takashi Tezuka claims that Nintendo “raised the bar” with New Super Mario Bros. 2, which includes new features and modes that aren’t in any of the previous Mario titles. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told him that Wii U’s New Super Mario Bros. has to provide a better experience. Tezuka then acknowledged that it’s his job to make New Super Mario Bros. U, which will also be released this year, an “even better” game than Nintendo 3DS’s New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Well this gave me some hopes. Many probably won't agree with me, but I actually like NSMB2 alot more then NSMBU right now, though that's mainly cause we haven't seen that much footage. Plus the handheld NSMB are more suited to single player level design, which I find much more fun then NSMB's Wii levels. And if this game (besides having prettyier graphics) has the same kind of design to NSMBWii, then I'll probably like it less then NSMB2.

New Super Mario Bros. U to be better then NSMB2.

http://mynintendonew...r-mario-bros-2/

Well this gave me some hopes. Many probably won't agree with me, but I actually like NSMB2 alot more then NSMBU right now, though that's mainly cause we haven't seen that much footage. Plus the handheld NSMB are more suited to single player level design, which I find much more fun then NSMB's Wii levels. And if this game (besides having prettyier graphics) has the same kind of design to NSMBWii, then I'll probably like it less then NSMB2.

Let not start a burn war here that NSMBU will be better than NSMB2 ( not directing this to you Nintendoga) It should be clear that every dev would want the next game to improve apone what the predecessor did.

And I will agree with you that NSMB2 actually interests me ALOT more than NSMBU. I could probably atribute this to me never owning NSMBDS so NSMB2 is in my interest, and actually owning NSMBWii so NSMBU looks like a repeat of Wii.

But looking at a sort of level design perspective I think that some of NSMB2's level design is different to NSMBDS. The ruins levels, the totem poles in the sky, the idea that World 3 is a combo of beach and posion forest interest me in NSMB2, plus the coin rush mode. But to be honest the Snow level in NSMBU is practically the same as NSMBWii's snow level other than its at night, has slightly different backgrounds, and huge stars to fill in the gap. But I digress since some people will say the same for NSMB2. But that's just my honest opinion.

Also I will say that NSMB2 having new people design the levels thanks to the Mario Cram school, sort of breaths new life to the game. This game has the same designers from NSMBWii, so there might be alot of similar level designs.

Edited by Gold Mario

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=185000

Massive NSMBU info

- dozens of levels across one world map, like Super Mario World

- map can be panned around and explored at any time

- game features an auto-scrolling, Boost Rush mode for more of a challenge

- multiple branching paths that let you pick which way to go

- this is much more than the tradition level choosing, which usually gives you only two paths to choose from

- Game Informer spotted 7 worlds: Acorn Plains, Sparkling Waters (tropical), Frosted Glacier, Layer Cake Desert (complete with melting desserts), areas similar to Forest of Illusion and Sky World and a world surround by a tornado

- mid-world fortresses guarded by Boom-Boom

- end-level castles guarded by Koopalings

- Super Acorn power-up makes you a flying squirrel

- Bowser kidnaps Peach once again

So we have the Koopalings again and no Jr. ( guess he's to busy being in Paper Mario)

Oh and Boom-Boom again. Also the backgrounds may look sort of differnet but its the same old tropes. Still not interested though

• Thumbs Up 4

- dozens of levels across one world map, like Super Mario World

- map can be panned around and explored at any time

- game features an auto-scrolling, Boost Rush mode for more of a challenge

- multiple branching paths that let you pick which way to go

- this is much more than the tradition level choosing, which usually gives you only two paths to choose from

- Game Informer spotted 7 worlds: Acorn Plains, Sparkling Waters (tropical), Frosted Glacier, Layer Cake Desert (complete with melting desserts), areas similar to Forest of Illusion and Sky World and a world surround by a tornado

Now why couldn't NSMB2 have been like this? Considering that this is exactly the sort of game I want to play, but I won't be getting a Wii U. Finally they pay homage to my favourite Mario game, and it's on a console I can't use. (Disclaimer: My house and lifestyle aren't console-friendly, it's not that I have a problem with the Wii U itself.) ...Actually, considering how good a job they're doing here, that just makes the allegations that NSMB2 was a lazy cash-in seem more accurate.

It's pretty obvious NSMB 2 was more of a B-team project then the typical fare. EAD Tokyo just finished 3D Land not too long before the development started, and many of them were called on to develop NSMB U.

Ooh, delicious HD Mario screenshots :D

I must admit I'm warming to this game more now that we've had the new info, it sounds like it'll be a much more original and overall better experience than NSMB2 (and heck, I liked NSMB2). It's still not the amazing new Mario game we'd probably all want for the Wii U launch, but at least it's not looking to be the complete and utter rehash we thought it might turn out to be.

I like the new fortress background.. Graphically, the only problem I have is that the foreground is 2D. I wish it was 3D. It doesn't have to be detailed like Sonic Generations, but at least something like Return to Dreamland would be nice.

935607_20110824_screen007.jpg

Did we know that yellow baby Yoshi was a light bulb again? I think it was shown in that Nintendo Direct where it was first shown while it showed the world map and the Miiverse intergration., but I'm not sure.

Edited by MarcelloF

I think NSMBU is looking surprisingly great. There hasn't been a lot of time between NSMB releases, but this looks like a massive improvement over the others. I think NSMB2 looks like a fun sequel, but I can't say that I was hyped for it (hence why I have yet to purchase it.) This game however looks to be really well made.

Graphically, the game is a massive improvement over the other NSMB titles, but the level design is what really has me excited. The levels seem really big and open for a 2D game. This really looks the way a 2D Mario game of today should. The NSMB series has gotten some flack for repeating worlds and lack of creativity (and rightly so) but this game looks like it might be righting some of those wrongs.

The acorn theme for the first world is really nice. It's still somewhat familiar, but it beats generic Mushroom Kingdom. Also, the ghost house that looks like a painting has me really excited to see what else this game has in store.

• Thumbs Up 5

At first I was Skeptic about this game, but it has started to show me it can be very unique. It's level design seems so creative!:D definitely might pick this up when I get a WiiU.:)

Sounds pretty good. The only thing I'm left really wondering is if Yoshi can be taken outside of levels you find him in. If not, I will be disappoint.