Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. U

SPvTGS

I really wish they had at least gone to the trouble of making the foreground 3D; the game looks really cheap as it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess the only awkwardness for Nintendo is mainly the fact that Yoshis can flutter jump easily in any envioronment. Unlike flight suits you can get an extra boost ANYWHERE, not just in areas that facilitate it, which they might not want.

This was obviously not a problem back in World, before the flutter jump was invented.

@Jez: So they limit Yoshi to certain levels so you can't get an extra boost anywhere, but they invent a propeller hat that is available everywhere and gets you an extra boost everywhere? That doesn't make any sense honestly.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Jez: So they limit Yoshi to certain levels so you can't get an extra boost anywhere, but they invent a propeller hat that is available everywhere and gets you an extra boost everywhere? That doesn't make any sense honestly.

Oh hey fair point. Totally forgot about the Propellor Hat. I was just thinking "flying stuff... uhh... racoon... tanooki... squirrel... cape... yeah they all need space to use".

But... yup you're totally right. Limiting Yoshi to certain levels in NSMBWii was pretty ridiculous.

But... yup you're totally right. Limiting Yoshi to certain levels in NSMBWii was pretty ridiculous.

Maybe they did it on purpose so as to make Yoshi's appearance in Super Mario Galaxy 2 in 2010 a whole lot more meaningful. Sure, you couldn't necessarily carry him over between levels, but he had a lot more screen time and a much bigger impact on the gameplay itself.

Or, in all likelihood, Nintendo were just too lazy to include the feature.

640px-Boost_Rush_Mode_NSMBU.png

I'm guessing this is Boost Rush Mode? It looks like it's going to be a speed-run mode of sorts, which I'm definitely excited for. I love speed-running 2D platformers, and a mode like this definitely would have done NSMBWii good. Glad to see it in this though.

My assumption is boost rush mode and the cannon levels on NSMB2 are basically Nintendo's response to Rayman Origins' style twitch platforming. It's nice to see some recognition of the modern platformer style.

That's a surprisingly valid point actually, as Propeller Mario was potentially way more broken than Yoshi's flutter jump. Maybe that's why they've limited the propelling this time around to those purple Baby Yoshis that swell up like balloons.

I bypassed half of the threats in Bowser's Castle with as Propeller Mario in Wii. so yeah it is broken

Yup, propeller cap was way broken. I used it for some tricky star coins, but other then that I avoided it. I remember simply refusing to grab it during the final stretch of the fight against Boswer. "No, I refuse to take Bowser down the pussy way!" lol

Ice Flower Power up confirmed. Looking at the last pic,what's up with that red bar under the coins icon? I also wonder what those Mii's are doing in the background. If they randomly show-up in the background throughout the game then I'd be okay with that nice touch.

The overworld sounds nice. It better have a good non-BAH BAH theme. I hope Boom-Boom isn't the mini-boss for every fortress.

I'm getting tired of fighting the Koopalings, wish there were new bosses in this one. And while I'm a little excited to see them try something new(ish) with the level tropes, I can't help but feel they'll pull something like this:

I've always liked the Koopalings, but that's just my Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 fanboy in me talking. Cheatsy, Bully, and Kookie 4 life.

I'd like it if they remixed the Koopalin/Boom Boom theme to be a bit more....tense I guess. Make their boss presence more notable.

Something like that, maybe, though less raunchy. But that's assuming they don't use a new theme entirely for the battles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always liked the Koopalings, but that's just my Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 fanboy in me talking. Cheatsy, Bully, and Kookie 4 life.

I'd like it if they remixed the Koopalin/Boom Boom theme to be a bit more....tense I guess. Make their boss presence more notable.

Something like that, maybe, though less raunchy. But that's assuming they don't use a new theme entirely for the battles.

640px-Boost_Rush_Mode_NSMBU.png

I'm guessing this is Boost Rush Mode? It looks like it's going to be a speed-run mode of sorts, which I'm definitely excited for. I love speed-running 2D platformers, and a mode like this definitely would have done NSMBWii good. Glad to see it in this though.

Same here, I love the Koopalings, but for me it's mostly due to growing up on a Koopaling-centric fanpage during my younger internet years.(RIP, Lemmy's Land) I can't help but chuckle at how different the posts here and the Lemmy's Land goers POV on bosses are. Here, everyone says the Koopalings are boring, and there, they say original bosses are boring.

But anyways, The levels mentioned in Game informer sound pretty interesting. Good to see the developers are changing it up with the levels this time around.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

Same here, I love the Koopalings, but for me it's mostly due to growing up on a Koopaling-centric fanpage during my younger internet years.(RIP, Lemmy's Land) I can't help but chuckle at how different the posts here and the Lemmy's Land goers POV on bosses are. Here, everyone says the Koopalings are boring, and there, they say original bosses are boring.

I've held both positions in a way that I hope actually makes sense. When NSMB came out, I was disappointed by the original bosses and wanted it to have been the Koopalings, who hadn't been around in a platformer for quite some time at that point. But now we've had NSMBWii and NSMB2 with the Koopalings in it, I think a third appearance in a row is pushing it and it's time for some more original bosses again. Ditto Boom Boom showing up again, actually. Yeah, it was nice having you over to visit, but the nostalgia rush only really works once... maybe in another couple of years... door's that way, guys...

I just really want bosses that challenge me beyond the first hit. It's just too easy to whack em the second and third times as soon as they're out of their shell. =C

With the series going for over 25 years, I don't think we'll be getting that as often. I mean, they already launched Mario into space.

Nintendo isn't short of ideas for what to do with Mario. The repetition of the Mario series is intentional. Whether its a good thing or a bad thing is certainly another matter.

Like you said, they launched Mario into space. They also sent him to a tropical island and had him clean up graffiti.

The next main series Mario game will probably be just as out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

More info on the game.

• Yoshi
  • Three Yoshi variations
  • Pink Yoshi: inflated with a GamePad/Wiimote shake
  • This can take Mario even higher than the flying suit can (Then why the hell can't we just fly with the Acorn suit!?!?)
  • Pink Yoshis don’t help in horizontal movement
  • Large surface area useful for collecting a bunch of airborne coins
  • Gold Yoshi: shake the controller to light up the immediate area
  • Also stuns nearby enemies
  • Gold Yoshis show up in the Fire Snake Caverns
  • Blue Yoshi: can shoot bubbles
  • Can ride the adult version of Yoshi in numerous levels (Not a confirmation that you can take him in other levels, just hopefully he will be in more levels then in the Wii version.)
  • Yoshi can still eat breaks (The fruit and stuff in levels)
  • Collect five to fill a meter
  • This rewards Yoshi’s rider with a power-up (Just like Wii)
  • Co-op and Boost Mode
  • Camera pans out a bit in co-op
  • This helps you see hidden star coins and pipes that you normally wouldn’t come across in single-player
  • Boost Mode: Place up to four floating platforms at a time
  • Use the GamePad touch screen in Boost Mode to pop friends out of bubbles, stun enemies, make it easier to reach the flagpole, manipulate environmental objects, swat Paratroopas
  • Turn on Boost Mode by powering up the GamePad – that’s it (Hmm...)
  • Players will go through pre-selected packs of levels in Boost Rush Mode (Just like Coin Rush)
  • Collecting coins makes the auto-scroll faster
  • Limited amount of lives given at the start of each pack
  • Dying doesn’t reset the clock (Sounds a bit challenging)

Edited by Nintendoga