Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I think that's a pretty nice boxart case, I like how it's modeled after the GameCube boxart. Quite glad they didn't model it after the Wii U boxart like Doctor MK mentioned. I personally don't really mind the yellow outline below it. And I see the Nintendo Network logo below the Wii U border, so I guess it will replace the old "Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection" logo the Wii had.

It looks pretty nice, yeah, though I'm not sure how I feel about how colorful it is. A big pet peeve of mine is when the case or cover-art is obnoxiously flashy enough to actually take away some of the attention from the art for the actual game. It's why my favorite cover-art template by far is the original PS3 one, with a thin logo on the side and transparent plastic that puts all focus on the game's art.

Of course, this is nit-picking to insane degrees, so I can't say I've ever been particularly annoyed enough to get upset over it. The colors are a bit too flashy for my taste, but whatever.

Someone in the Eurogamer comments posted this:

0uQAA.jpg

http://www.eurogamer...-box-art-report

Don't know where they found it or if it's genuine or not. If it's fake, it's a good one.

I'm wondering what that logo next to the 'PAL' icon says. I can read 'Technology', but I can't read what the word above it is.

Setting aside the fact that this was posted by a GAFer amidst some photoshop sessions of the new Wii U casings, the PEGI, Nintendo and Wii U logo (spine) is not symmetrical, the console image and Nintendo logo has artefacts that aren't on the Nintendo Land screens, the Nintendo Land characters (particularly Sign Girl) are too sharp and not part of the print, the upper right corner is smudged and uneven and the spine is exactly the same as the Wii's. Besides, as far as I'm aware, PEGI rates most consoles a 7.

Definitely fake.

• Thumbs Up 7

Setting aside the fact that this was posted by a GAFer amidst some photoshop sessions of the new Wii U casings, the PEGI, Nintendo and Wii U logo (spine) is not symmetrical, the console image and Nintendo logo has artefacts that aren't on the Nintendo Land screens, the Nintendo Land characters (particularly Sign Girl) are too sharp and not part of the print, the upper right corner is smudged and uneven and the spine is exactly the same as the Wii's. Besides, as far as I'm aware, PEGI rates most consoles a 7.

Definitely fake.

Damnit. That actually looked pretty good.

.....I'll laugh if it's real though.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Wii-U box art posted is confirmed to be real.

Looking at it more, I wish the yellow would've been a bit more gold, but it looks fine the way it is to me.

Check this place out for some cool mockups of the box-art. You can even make your own! *Doubt anyone here is gonna do one though.*

My favorites

rayman.png

noonlyon.png

Edited by Nintendoga

I like the design, and I think the blue and yellow look great on the vibrant and colorful cover art, but I think it looks a bit unfitting on the more realistic games like Assassin's Creed and FIFA. They could lose the yellow, but I think it looks pretty good.

I do like how this looks. YES INDEED.

PnaFn.png

I kind of wish this was real, it looks so freaking cool.

also rayman legends is awesome 10/10 would bang

• Thumbs Up 2

Here come the minigames!

I can handle a few of them, especially Nintendo's own efforts as they tend to be of a high quality, but when third parties wade in, the quality plummets nearly every time. Fuck that shit.

So much for this console having a less minigame-centric array of games. Hopefully it's just a shot spurt of shit, but I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ninty's still supporting the Wii from what I understand, so it escapes me why anyone would specifically choose WiiU to offload shovelware onto when they could lower costs even further just by developing for a console with far lower graphical standards.

Then again, it's not like WB having plenty of spare change to throw around is any kind of surprise. We'll have to wait until the no-name devs make a move to see for sure if there's a shovelware magnet in the making here.

Ninty's still supporting the Wii from what I understand, so it escapes me why anyone would specifically choose WiiU to offload shovelware onto when they could lower costs even further just by developing for a console with far lower graphical standards.

Wii's been declining for a while now. On a new system launch they have much, much less competition and the "new shit" factor that'd net the shovelware more attention.

Besides, lowballing the graphics will be even easier on WiiU as they have considerably better CPU/GPU/RAM to get super lazy with optimizations.

Edited by Dobkeratops

The graphics actually look good in this shovelware game. Doubt the game itself will be any good, though.

The graphics actually look good in this shovelware game. Doubt the game itself will be any good, though.

I agree. This screen in particular looks nice:

gp5_table_hockey_3.jpg.jpg

Well, key textures are pretty low res, player characters are missing shadows, NPCs are hideously modelled, not much attention was paid to UV mapping, general lack of AA... it's definitely got the lazy touch.

But, has a good style and it's heads and shoulders above the usual minigame tripe, yes.

Wii U Release Date Possibly Postponed Until December Due to Manufacturing Issues

http://www.computera...europe-sources/

With just four months before the holiday season opens, people familiar with the situation claim that the Wii U release date will fall to early December across Europe, missing the November launch window initially intended.

Key to the issue is the manufacturing of the Wii U GamePad; a complex controller that features a 6.2 inch touchscreen display, a front-facing camera, motion-sensing and Near field communication technologies, its own power supply and the promise that the device will be completely wireless.

Nintendo has declined to comment.

The platform holder is determined to release the system in the US before the lucrative Thanksgiving holiday, CVG's sources have said.

In July, an executive at a major publishing firm working closely with Nintendo told CVG that a European release had at one stage looked likely to slip into 2013, though the platform holder has since assured that the 2012 deadline will be met.

The manufacturing issues - which are quite common for new console system launches - are believed to have hampered Nintendo's plans on announcing a Wii U launch date.

This is all just a rumor, but I suppose it could be a reason why Nintendo hasn't announced a release date yet. Also, "postponed" and "delayed" aren't technically accurate words for the situation, since Nintendo never gave a solid release date outside of "2012."

Isn't crap like that part of the reason the Sega Saturn lost a lot of third party support?

EDIT: my bad, it's actually because they released it several months earlier than the anounce release date, whi seriously pissed off 3rd party developers.

Edited by Solkia-kun

Isn't crap like that part of the reason the Sega Saturn lost a lot of third party support?

SEGA Saturn lost support because it was hard to program for compared to the Playstation. In addition support for SEGA was already low due to the failure of both the 32x and Sega CD, which were dead on arrival add-ons for the Mega Drive

Also, the PSX was slightly more competent then the Saturn at 3D graphics, another reason why it was less attractive compared to the competition.

EDIT: my bad, it's actually because they released it several months earlier than the anounce release date, whi seriously pissed off 3rd party developers.
This is a part of it, but the fact there were no 3rd party games around at launch is due to them not being finished in the first place, more then developers being pissed off.

I'm not surprised this is happening, it's generally always an issue. The thing is that we generally don't hear about it, and instead experience it through faulty launch day batches (looking at you, 360) or barely any stock.

In the case of the PS3 the cause of the launch delay was pretty well publicized, only in that case it was the Blueray components that were the limiting factor.

I agree with this one's guy comment on that page... how can something be delayed/postponed when it wasn't even given a release date to begin with?