Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Social features in single player games. Awesome. You know what's even more awesome? MULTIPLAYER.

Not every game needs or would benefit from multiplayer. A singleplayer player experience is a wholly different one to multiplayer.

Not every game needs or would benefit from multiplayer. A singleplayer player experience is a wholly different one to multiplayer.

even so, adding "social features" to an ultimately single player game is kind of silly. Just saiyan.

Of course not every game needs multiplayer, but if Nintendo is trying to make a more social console, they are kind of missing the point. Take NSMBU for example. You get to leave messages for other players online to see. That's cool. But one of the main draws of the game is multiplayer, which is not going to be online. In that regard, Nintendo is really dropping the ball.

Interesting, Iwata says he wants Miiverse to be the Gamer's Facebook.

“Of course the Internet does provide a lot of that interaction, but it’s not built for that purpose. For example, Facebook is something that connects you socially with a lot of different folks, but that doesn’t guarantee that the people you are going to have interactions with via Facebook are interested in games. And what I’m saying is that I don’t believe that the life experiences that you have—and those might be with the people you are connected with on Facebook—are not equal to the gaming experiences you might have with a lot of different folks.”

“I feel that we need to create—or present—a gaming platform as the place to create that ‘social graph’ for folks who are in gaming circles, I guess. So that’s kind of the reason for creating Miiverse.”

Well I can see where they're trying to go with that, and while Miiverse is going to have to battle PSN and XBL for gamers' attention, I can see it going somewhere if they can handle Miiverse right. Plus isn't this the reason why gaming forums were made in the first place?

November 30 is the last date of the month so it's almost certainly a placeholder date. Stores are required to "guess" these things by default when doing a lot of these things and most of us are already expecting this to come November.

That said, it is a Friday, so it's feasible.

GAME and Gamestation are now taking £20 pre-order deposits on the Wii U in store.

Now taking £20 deposits for the #WiiU @GSDudley no confirmation on colours, price, release date as yet but global announcement due 13th Sept

https://twitter.com/...905487180066816

A few stores from various areas are posting on Facebook and Twitter about it, so I assume it's in every store. Also, it looks like that NOA news coming Sept 13th is global, so it's got to be launch details.

I think we were all thinking November sometime for launch since E3. Nov. 30 for the placeholder date seems weird since everywhere else I look it's Dec 31st.

GameStop Conference Leaks 18th November Date For Wii U Accessories

News has leaked from a GameStop conference that the popular retail outlet will be selling accessories for Wii U on November 18th. Although it’s not uncommon for peripherals for a console to launch early, it should be noted that the 18th of November is a Sunday. We should hopefully hear launch information and pricing for Wii U on September 13th.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/27/gamestop-conference-leaks-18th-november-date-for-wii-u-accessories/

• Thumbs Up 1

PDP Manager Denies Wii-U Gamestop Date Leak

“At this time we can’t confirm Nintendo’s dates and we don’t know exactly what was heard, but we simply do not know that this point,” she said.

“We are launching accessories, but the date for the accessories doesn’t mean a confirmation on the hardware. If you seek confirmation on the date that is something that is going to need to go specifically though Nintendo, but we can’t confirm or deny dates on any of their hardware.”

Tbh I could care less about the date right now, I just need to know the price. Still hoping for a $300 mark.

This better not be real. Oh god it better not be. *Hits himself very hard for the next 10 minutes*

Although Nintendo hasn’t announced anything just yet, rumors are pointing to a Wii U release by November. Online retailers such as Amazon.com are already taking preorders for the Wii U launch lineup, with each game sitting at a whopping $99.99.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nope. No way. There is absolutely no way in hell that a game for a system about on-par with the 360 and PS3 could even POSSIBLY cost that much.

Placeholders, that happens with every new console. Retailers put it for $99 because they do not know the price yet. Been happening with Wii-U since last year.

• Thumbs Up 6

I believe it's due to their policies, if you preorder it at that price you'll only be charged that price, do if they set the placeholder to $60 and in the unlikely event the RRP for games is $100 then they'll be selling it at $40 cheaper and not making as much money as they could've

Wii-U conference happening in Japan prior to September 13th

Shortly after today’s Nintendo Direct, company president Satoru Iwata sent out a tweet to let Japanese consumers know that there will be a conference in which Wii U details will be revealed. The conference will take place in Japan sometime during the next couple of weeks, and will be before the Wii U event in New York on September 13th.

Interesting, I wonder what they'll talk about there. Hope there's a livestream.

I can't imagine it will be much of consequence, simply based on how big of a deal has been made out of the 13th date to this point.

I can't imagine it will be much of consequence, simply based on how big of a deal has been made out of the 13th date to this point.

They can still announce launch details for Japan before the 13th. It wouldn't affect the 13th date announcing details for the US and Europe.

I hope it's free.

I love your responses because your avatar adds so much to them XD

on a related note...

I can actually wait for the Wii U since I made the mistake of jumping on the Wii XD. Here's hoping that Ninty keeps their games at a $50 price tag. I would imagine 3rd party developers would probably raise them to $60 however.

Edited by LunarEdge

This better not be real. Oh god it better not be. *Hits himself very hard for the next 10 minutes*

bullshit_detector4.gif

Maybe if it was $60-$70, this would would had been more believable, but $100? How idiotic are they overestimating their consumers to be?

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFan
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's just a placeholder price point. A really stupid placeholder, but one nonetheless. Plus Amazon has that "If the price drops you save" thing in place, so it's not too big a deal unless Nintendo walks out and confirms that's the price. Which I don't see happening.

Haha, this brings memories of the absolutely retarded FUD that was floating around at the time of the PS3s launch. One of those bullshit rumors said games would be $100 because something something Bluray something - surprising to see people would fall for it.

Don't read too much into retailer placeholders, folks.