Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

It's actually a record breaking launch attach rate for Playstation, for what it's worth. Even the PS2 had a lower worldwide rate at launch.

Are you talking about the Japanese numbers? Do you have any comparisons or extra sources?

Are you talking about the Japanese numbers? What's your source?

If you're gonna say it's a record, you should back yourself up.

Right here. Worldwide, not including Japan.

Right here. Worldwide, not including Japan.

Yeah, that's the one source I listed man. And he isn't even comparing them fairly. He goes ahead and combines the attach rate for the 4, but splits up the attach rate for the PS3 between the US and the EU. (Doesn't even give numbers for the US.) It's good that it's making headways ahead of the PS2 for sure, but I can't fully trust a source that isn't giving out whole numbers.

I really need to get superstar saga, I was on a playthrough for it a while ago (had to alternate between two DS's just to make any progress though) and before I could finish it, the buttons that I needed to use stopped working on my ds lite (and the second one I mentioned) so I couldn't go any further.

Why didn't we have a 'Hug A Luigi Day' last year?

So M2 are behind the GBA VC? Sonic Advance is looking very likely to happen! :D

Wasn't a first-party title, though.

I mean I'd have loved to add that to the list to make my argument look bigger and better, but it wouldn't be relevant.

XenoBlade Chronicles IS a first party title, I think you're mixing it up with either The Last Story or Pandora's Tower. Monolith Soft is an internal development team, has been since they were bought (they're equivalent to EAD and actually help EAD make games no, including 3D World and ALBW).

Yes, because Nintendo's doing such great things with the Virtual Console on Wii U and 3DS. :V

Cycle accurate emulation you mean? Something that barely anyone even tries to attempt? Yeah, I'd say they are!

Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD, 1, and 2 are the only thing even trying to do that out of anything SEGA has put out; and he actually completely redesigned the games on the Retro Engine; so they're still not entirely accurate. Just better than the shit emulation SEGA mostly puts forth.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a little late to this but:

I'm surprised this argument is even happening, considering any sort of Nintendo games on mobile automatically devalue their own machines. Something they desperately need to avoid. If you're one of those people that want the Wii U to die faster instead not being a total embarrassment, then I guess it makes sense?

Maybe Nintendo should just make their own phone then?

Not even joking here, it should be something for Ninty to think about for their successor to the 3DS, or hell, even another model for it if it comes to that. They tap into the mobile market like investors want to, they still profit from their own hardware, existing fans can still rely on buttons so they're not alienated by the touchscreen exclusive bullshit smartphones pull, and I get to save pocket space by cramming a gaming device and a phone into one.

Is there, like, even a single drawback to an approach like this? I'd legitimately like to know.

Well, there WAS the NGage. It really depends on whether Nintendo partners up with a good service provider, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a little late to this but:

Maybe Nintendo should just make their own phone then?

Not even joking here, it should be something for Ninty to think about for their successor to the 3DS, or hell, even another model for it if it comes to that. They tap into the mobile market like investors want to, they still profit from their own hardware, existing fans can still rely on buttons so they're not alienated by the touchscreen exclusive bullshit smartphones pull, and I get to save pocket space by cramming a gaming device and a phone into one.

Is there, like, even a single drawback to an approach like this? I'd legitimately like to know.

I was actually thinking about this today, but it would honestly be hard for Nintendo to make their mark on an industry already dominated by people that are way better at making phones than they are.

It'd kinda be like Sony's attempts to enter the handheld market but even worse.

• Thumbs Up 2

They would really have to partner up with a phone provider that knows what they are doing, something Nintendo is unlikely to do. 

The fact that Nintendo's never made a phone in their life and would fuck up as bad as they fuck up the concept of an online service? Or the fact that iOS already has the most support so it'd just be the same situation in a different market? Or the fact that the handheld market is one of the few things Nintendo still leads in?

Smartphones aren't this infallible holy grail of profits, I don't get why people think it is.

• Thumbs Up 7

Or just make a _DS that happens to have some wireless cellular service attached to it. Sprint, ATT, Verizon, whatever.

Online gaming on the go for a small subscription fee.

Let it sync up with whatever home console they have out at the time.

Play your VC game on the _DS and continue where you left off on the Wii_.

Let indie devs make their own apps for it.

Maybe some social network integration.  

Partner with Google Voice or something. 

I mean it's not the best idea, but it's certainly an option.

• Thumbs Up 1

They already have those stupid Nintendo Zone hotspots all over the place. I don't get why they can't make their own 4G towers for their next handheld.

PEople keep talking about this huge load of money they have falling out of their ass, I'd like to see them use it for something practical.

PEople keep talking about this huge load of money they have falling out of their ass, I'd like to see them use it for something practical.

Nah they're better off keeping it in the bank so they can slowly piss it away over the course of five thousand years

even though that's really not how business works bu-

As for ideas... I dunno.

As far as dedicated handhelds go the best thing I could personally ask for is basically an upgraded Vita clone, really. Huge "Virtual Console" library available (playing Xenogears right now after marathoning almost the entire Metal Gear series on this thing), powerful hardware, multimedia stuff, etc. Unfortunately, there's just no market for that anymore thanks to smartphones and tablets, so that's out the window. 

A continuation of what they're doing now won't do well either, seeing as how the 3DS peaked very quickly and still didn't reach anywhere near the heights of the DS (mentioned it earlier in this thread, it's selling at a slightly higher pace than the PSP did, but will probably burn out before it reaches the PSP's 80 million). A new handheld along those lines would be good for us, sure, but I can't imagine it gaining any traction with the mainstream anymore.

I don't know exactly how possible this actually is, but they could try to build their next generational pair of hardware with a "super baby twins" sort of idea in mind. Architecturally identical, but with the home console scaled to be more powerful and the other a weaker version of the same thing. Make it so that one is perfectly functional without the other, but having both grants access to a Nintendo ecosystem that will steadily grow larger and larger as time passes. Make scaled down ports of console games very easy to develop (or at least as easy as possible), all games cross-buy compatible, and have everything connected through a single unified Nintendo ID.

Could be a crap idea but eh, it's not my job to figure this shit out lol. I'd buy it.

I don't know exactly how possible this actually is, but they could try to build their next generational pair of hardware with a "super baby twins" sort of idea in mind. Architecturally identical, but with the home console scaled to be more powerful and the other a weaker version of the same thing. Make it so that one is perfectly functional without the other, but having both grants access to a Nintendo ecosystem that will steadily grow larger and larger as time passes. Make scaled down ports of console games very easy to develop (or at least as easy as possible), all games cross-buy compatible, and have everything connected through a single unified Nintendo ID.

Could be a crap idea but eh, it's not my job to figure this shit out lol. I'd buy it.

Iwata has actually said this is pretty much what they're planning along these lines, if his comments from the investor meeting are to be believed - the next handheld and console will both have the same architecture (with some bits of the Wii U included, at least, according to Iwata), and judging by his comments on power between systems not being such a huge barrier anymore to consoles and handhelds playing the same games, I'm inclined to think the handheld could play less-pretty versions of the same games as its console brother.

They already have those stupid Nintendo Zone hotspots all over the place. I don't get why they can't make their own 4G towers for their next handheld.

I seriously doubt that would be viable unless they charge people to use their 4G service. Or are you ok with that?

All I know is that it's 2014 and the only fucking form of online that portable consoles have is wifi. I'd mention the Vita's 3G but it's a shitty bag of missed potential.

If Nintendo wants to be innovative with their next handheld (if this shitty industry even lasts that long), they should cut the bullshit should set up wireless access point designed for said handheld so you can dick people over in Mario Kart 23 anywhere you are.

It's so fucking pointless to put online features on a handheld when you can't even use them the way handhelds are ment to be used: On the go.

Then you're going to have to pay for it. Running free 4G hotspots worldwide, in plenty of areas, on top of the already free online pay is suicide.

And who the fuck would play online on the go? That's just asinine. Online play isn't suited to gaming on the move.

...Why not? 

No, seriously, other than when you're in the car and can't even see the screen because of the sun, what is the disadvantage of being able to do online play where ever you are?

I could be bored out of my mind at a family reunion or something wishing they had wifi at that place. If the online experience happened no matter where you were, you wouldn't have to worry about entering seperate WPA keys and setting up new connections each time you're out.

Example, I was at Applebees with my mom, and it was a busy day for them, so I wanted to use their wifi to do some online play on my 3DS. The idiots set up a WPA key and didn't even know what it was, let alone what a WPA key was.

Wifi on a handheld was innovative in 2004. It's time to move on.

Then you're going to have to pay for it. Running free 4G hotspots worldwide, in plenty of areas, on top of the already free online pay is suicide.

I'm fine with that. And considering everyone kissed Microsofts ass with XBLA Gold, I'm sure others would too.

I'm fine with that. And considering everyone kissed Microsofts ass with XBLA Gold, I'm sure others would too.

Difference is, that most of the gaming audience on XBL is different to the ones on Nintendo.