Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

So? It's not like paying for additional services is exclusive to Microsoft. Several mainstream services used by everybody are subscription based.

Hell, Netfix on the Wii was a marketing point for a few years.

I don't even have 4G in the area where I live so that wouldn't work well at all! Not keen on paying for that either.

And a Nintendo phone would be the worst idea ever and Nintendo would be dumb as hell to do something like that!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I would rather not have to pay for my online services like that (specially since I like to enjoy the scenery while im in the car, not have my face looking at a screen), plus it would make parents have to pay for their kids online services next to paying for any other online services they may have, playing online at home isn't that bad and its honestly where I would prefer to do it.

I think an LTE (I dunno if 4G is fast enough) connection would be great, but the cost would be too high. Phone service providers take quite a bit of money per month, like $30 depending on your carrier.

We could set up satalites all over orbit. Internet connection everywhere, even in the Saharra Desert! :D

Sure, it'll block out the sun but.....internet everywhere....oh April Fools day was three days ago....

• Thumbs Up 1

...Why not? 

No, seriously, other than when you're in the car and can't even see the screen because of the sun, what is the disadvantage of being able to do online play where ever you are?

I could be bored out of my mind at a family reunion or something wishing they had wifi at that place. If the online experience happened no matter where you were, you wouldn't have to worry about entering seperate WPA keys and setting up new connections each time you're out.

Online play is really only applicable when you're on transport for long periods or you're sitting around at a specific location. When you're out walking or need to pause the game to do something while on the move, well, that's not exactly viable. That's more what I meant by 'on the go', when you're actually on the move.

Online play is really only applicable when you're on transport for long periods or you're sitting around at a specific location. When you're out walking or need to pause the game to do something while on the move, well, that's not exactly viable. That's more what I meant by 'on the go', when you're actually on the move.

I'm not sure I agree with this. There are plenty of times I've had opportunities to use my Vita when I'm out and about to actually play a console port, going to college and whatnot. I think that once the technology is financially feasible to implement it absolutely should be. I just don't think now is the time. Not until Google's air balloon WiFi plan or whatever it was they were doing becomes reality.

• Thumbs Up 2

An LTE connection is definitely fast enough. It can go beyond 70Mbps which is morrrreee than enough for online play. It's the ping you need to worry about, but LTE has better/faster ping responses than 4G, 3G and 2G.

P.S. - in EU, LTE is 4G and 4G in EU is 3G since 4G in US is 3G in steroids.

Also remember the Mobile market is dominated by apps that are free but offer tons of IAP and ads. Nintendo isn't going to have the same success with the current full priced model they have right now.

Imagine Animal Crossing on a smartphone. You pay $35 for the 3DS version, you get everything. On Smartphone, you download it for free but you pay $10 to unlock the island, $5 to access the clothing shop, $5 to unlock the DJ, etc.

Also remember the Mobile market is dominated by apps that are free but offer tons of IAP and ads. Nintendo isn't going to have the same success with the current full priced model they have right now.Imagine Animal Crossing on a smartphone. You pay $35 for the 3DS version, you get everything. On Smartphone, you download it for free but you pay $10 to unlock the island, $5 to access the clothing shop, $5 to unlock the DJ, etc.

That's fine. I actually prefer that pricing model for certain games that already do this. For instance - Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. I could pay $35 to get everything on 3DS, but what if I only really wanted to play my favorite songs from FFVI, VII, and X? That'd be saving me over $20. I haven't played Animal Crossing so I don't see how this pricing model couldn't work for it.

I'm also wondering why most games these days don't provide an "al la carte" business model for separating single-player and multiplayer modes, I don't think people would mind just paying for one or the other if they felt like it.

I'm also wondering why most games these days don't provide an "al la carte" business model for separating single-player and multiplayer modes, I don't think people would mind just paying for one or the other if they felt like it.

Hmm... that actually would be a good idea. But i'm sure if even half of the population that plays shooters will enjoy that. Unless they only want to play one of the modes, then that's good.

That's fine. I actually prefer that pricing model for certain games that already do this. For instance - Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. I could pay $35 to get everything on 3DS, but what if I only really wanted to play my favorite songs from FFVI, VII, and X? That'd be saving me over $20. I haven't played Animal Crossing so I don't see how this pricing model couldn't work for it.

No. No no no! Animal Crossing should NEVER have microtransactions!
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any sort of flow Animal Crossing has would be pretty much ruined by Microtransactions, so yeah.

• Thumbs Up 7

I hate having the flow of a game broken by pointless micro-transactions.

The only time I like Microtransactions is when it's things like TF2 where you can get all the weapons without paying for them and only accessories are the things that are easier to get with money or weapons that just track your kills which aren't very important. You can play Mann Vs Machine without the Mann Up tickets as well.

Paying for stores and features is asinine. If you could just buy everything instantly it would completely ruin what makes Animal Crossing unique. 

Companies don't do this stuff (the only real exception i remember was with Starhawk) mostly because they know tons of people will buy only one of those products, resulting in less profits for them. Instead, forcing players to buy a full package at an higher price benefits too much for them to abandon this practice.

In other words, companies won't do this because...

ibcwEzn2XHddRy.gif

Go in the corner and think about what you've done.

I should probably play Animal Crossing at some point, lol. Some day.

I could see this working with stuff like Mario, though. Have the game be a free download and then charge $5 per world or something, and offer a $35 "full game" option in the main menu. Capcom did this with their DS ports and it was fine. 

I could see this working with stuff like Mario, though. Have the game be a free download and then charge $5 per world or something, and offer a $35 "full game" option in the main menu. Capcom did this with their DS ports and it was fine. 

Ha right! What state is Capcom currently in? Seriously, leave micro-transactions out of my platformers.

Ha right! What state is Capcom currently in? Seriously, leave micro-transactions out of my platformers.

Then buy the full game up front. Why have this complete aversion to any and all new purchase options?

Wait, when did capcom do that?

Then buy the full game up front. Why have this complete aversion to any and all new purchase options?

It tends to depend on what sort of game you're thinking to apply to this procedure.