Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Oh, okay.

Not surprising, Sony being in the shitter was a popular topic a while back, they're probably still around that area or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sony is in a lot of businesses right now that are going down the shitter.

if I recall, most of their profits comes from insurance.

Sony is in a lot of businesses right now that are going down the shitter.

if I recall, most of their profits comes from insurance.

Yep. Playstation's one of their better divisions as well, though the PS3 was a pretty bad disaster for them.

The PS34 still sells at a solid loss, right?

fixed it, nintendos  about the only people who make a profit off a console purchase

fixed it, nintendos  about the only people who make a profit off a console purchase

No they're not. Wii U's already being sold at a loss. 

And no, I don't believe the PS3 is anymore. Not sure though.

The PS3 still sells at a massive loss, right?

Nah, the 3 sells at a profit now. However, it sold for a loss so long that it's still a major net loss for them.

To be fair, while the Wii U is selling at a loss, only one game is needed to recoup that loss.

No, It doesn't. 

It needs many games. One of Nintendo's biggest problems right now is thinking that it only needs one game to sell an entire console; a "killer app". They thought Nintendoland would do it, they thought NSMBU would do it, they thought Pikmin 3 would do it, they thought Wind Waker HD would do it and they thought Mario 3D World would do it. 

Smash Bros and Zelda U will increase sales dramatically, but those alone won't automatically fix all their troubles in a similar way that Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World are incredible games that still aren't selling the console as well as it should be. They've gotta deliver from beginning to end, thoroughly and consistently, with lots of variety. 

They can't just do what they did with the Wii again and release only 6 or 7 big-studio first party games in a span of another 6 years. They're not able to sell themselves this time.

disregard azoo being a POS that accidentally the posts out of the context

No, It doesn't. 

It needs many games-

Not to burst your bubble, but I think he just means that a game purchase would cover the loss the individual system is sold at.

• Thumbs Up 5

> Nintendo is valued as a bigger company than Sony

thats not what market capitalization means aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggh

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't take that article (the value one) as anything other than evidence that Nintendo is completely fine. Though I seriously doubt anyone in their right mind actually thought Nintendo wasn't doing well over all. But yeah, Nintendo isn't more valuable than Sony. Right now it's just more desirable to stock traders.

here is something interesting, a bit of a interview on Retro's relationship with nintendo

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=220332

Coming from an ONM interview with Retro Studios president Michael Kelbaugh and Nintendo producer Kensuke Tanabe...

Kelbaugh on working with Nintendo...

“Tanabe-san and his team at SPD are our primary contacts at Nintendo. Please let me be clear: games developed at Retro Studios are a collaboration between members from Retro Studios, SPD and other entities throughout the Nintendo family. It’s a symbiotic relationship that consists of members from all over the world; we are very honoured to be working with such a talented team.

When we worked on Mario Kart 7, we were working on Tropical Freeze at the same time. Part of the team was working on creating assets for Hideki Konno’s group, the Mario Kart team, and part of our team continued making progress on Tropical Freeze in conjunction with Tanabe-san and SPD.”

Tababe in Retro being 'part of the family', possibly working directly with Miyamoto...

“We consider Retro as part of the Nintendo family and a very capable game development studio. As a Nintendo development team, they will keep working not only with SPD, but also with the teams in Kyoto. They might even work on a title that Miyamoto-san leads directly in the future.

However, the SPD team assigned to Retro is working together with them as a single team and I hope that will continue this way- on Mario Kart 7, for example, SPD staff were involved as co-ordinators. I am saying this because a very interesting and stimulating chemical reaction occurs when the two parties from different languages and cultures are united under Nintendo’s game production philosophy, and that chemical reaction results in extraordinary ideas.”

Heh, this is beginning to remind me of when Square announced reason for KH3 not to be on the Wii U. Only for said "reason" to get debunked later on.

This is honestly beginning to sound like third-parties just taking pot-shots at the Wii U to reinforce and bolster their decisions.

Heh, this is beginning to remind me of when Square announced reason for KH3 not to be on the Wii U. Only for said "reason" to get debunked later on.

This is honestly beginning to sound like third-parties just taking pot-shots at the Wii U to reinforce and bolster their decisions.

Wha...? What does Retro's relationship with Nintendo have to do with the Wii U not being compatible with DirectX11 features?

I think he's talking about the issue we had on the last page, comrade.

Indeed I am.

Ok guys, I have a question regarding the gamepad, I keep noticing that little rectangular symbol to the left of the screen under the left thumb stick that looks like a screen and keep thinking it's some sort of button or something. Is it literally just a picture or does it actually do something??

Does the Wii U version of Skylanders actually use the NFC Reader rather than that portal of power thing? I know the Pokemon Rumble game uses the NFC Reader.

Does the Wii U version of Skylanders actually use the NFC Reader rather than that portal of power thing? I know the Pokemon Rumble game uses the NFC Reader.

No, neither Skylanders nor Disney Infinity use the NFC Reader. They both come with their own "portals" (or Infinity Base, in Infinity's case), just like the other console versions. Pokemon Rumble U is the only game that uses it currently.

Ahhh ok, thanks guys. I had kept pressing it to see if that was the off TV play button, and then I discovered the ACTUAL off TV button so I got to wondering