Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

So when the server goes down, everyone's on to raise hell, but when it gets fixed, there's nothing to say? At least the situation's been resolved. (Aside from when NIntendo manually closes the eshop.

Hip hip hooray?

On that note I'm sorry if it seemed like I overreacted (I don't think I did, I think people blew my point out of context and assumed I was saying Nintendo was irreversibly doomed.) I was disappointed that Nintendo weren't more prepared for what was certainly going to be an extremely busy Christmas for them, but I was by no means shitting on Nintendo for the sake of shitting on Nintendo. I felt like they weren't taking the position they were in seriously enough and I felt that if any company wanted to avoid having dissatisfied customers over the holiday season it was Nintendo (digitally packaged games?). It's such a key time of year, and a key asset to a system. I may be assuming a bit much, but lack of preparation for something so obvious just seems a bit clumsy and unprofessional to me? Especially when it's now evident that they didn't have some easy backup, it seems to have genuinely genuinely taken them by surprise to the point they've been taken aback.

I think they've underestimated how important online is to western gamers. Maybe this will help them realise. That's my piece. I didn't intend to cause any drama and I don't think my criticism was unfounded or irrational. Perhaps the way I worded it was on occasion, but I didn't intend it to come across that way. A consumer who bought a WWHD pack has the right to play the packaged game they purchased, and they have the right to feel dissatisfied with service if they cannot do that on Christmas Day with their family through no fault of their own.

I wouldn't say the situation's been "resolved" either, but I hope it gets fully fixed soon for the sake of the consumer and by extension the consumer's impression of the manufacturer's quality.

• Thumbs Up 2

You can't fix server load ""quickly by optimizing"

Yes you can. One can prioritize caching and serving of objects that are being heavily accessed, or in extreme cases, drop a percentage of the incoming connections so that the service can be usable for the rest of the users. The number of people trying to use it at once will decrease after the initial rush, so the idea is to reduce the scale of the disaster.

Well at least the servers are back up and running. Now let's hope this doesn't happen again. And if it does, it better be just one day. =[

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo explains the situation

Thank you very much for your patience while we perform maintenance on the Nintendo eShop and Nintendo Network. We sincerely appreciate your ongoing support. We wanted to share some details on what is causing this downtime, and update you on the current outage in service. 

The initial outage was primarily caused by a one-time surge in demand over the recent holidays, compounded by the following:

1) An influx of new Nintendo Network accounts being created and accessing the Nintendo eShop.

2) Existing Nintendo 3DS account information being moved to new Nintendo Network accounts.

We are continuing to adjust our network to meet the needs of all our services and applications. To ensure our global audience has an expected level of consistency in service, we took the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS offline. We expect to have it back online no later than 4 a.m. ET on Dec. 29, but may have to perform more maintenance in the future.

We truly apologize for the inconsistencies in our online services. We are working hard around the clock to fully restore these functions, and will continue to keep you updated on our progress.

So about Nintendo's server issue - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94999810&postcount=1006

Anyone want to confirm this as well? Because if this is true, especially since it can be updated and almost never goes down, not sure if the defense for Nintendo can stay very high.

Nintendo do use CloudFront, at least for Miiverse. The image URLs for drawings on Miiverse's web interface point to CloudFront.

Huh, I didn't even consider the 3DS's role in things... so these downtimes were the result of server loads from two seperate consoles at once?

Huh, I didn't even consider the 3DS's role in things... so these downtimes were the result of server loads from two seperate consoles at once?

Yes.

And Pokemon Bank

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, it was a 3-hit combo. It's really not that hard to see why this happened when you think about that, especially since the 3rd hit was Pokemon Bank. The 3DS eShop suffered stability issues on the day Pokemon X and Y were released.

With big hits like that, you can't really have thought that something like this wouldn't have happened. Yes, you could have massively over-prepared for it to where it didn't happen but it would cost you a lot of money to do so. Which is more practical? Be over-prepared but have it cost your in server costs and such like that, or work on it as it comes and save money, but have some stability issues that have to be handled and will go down after that initial surge.

Hey, I just have one question to ask: is there any way to change the Wii U GamePad's display resolution in Wii Mode?

Hmm, like Bayonetta huh? In what way? Hack-N-Slash/Beat-Em-Up gameplay? A very sexualized yet strong female protagonist? This is intriguing......

It's not just any game, but an "exclusive". If this, and Hyrule Warriors are anything to go by, this is the way Nintendo's going to get third party support in the future. Well, they have the money on it, but I hope they use it wisely. 

Hmm, like Bayonetta huh? In what way? Hack-N-Slash/Beat-Em-Up gameplay? A very sexualized yet strong female protagonist? This is intriguing......

Kill La Kill: The Game confirmed. Seriously, that would be the most amazing thing ever.

But seriously, another third-party exclusive would be beneficial. We'll see how it goes.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's apparently a new IP.

So neither of those would fit the bill.

It didn't actually say that, it just said it was an unannounced game.

So Kill La Kill totally isn't out of the question. *Shot*

• Thumbs Up 1

You really have no idea how much I'd pay for a good Platinum Games-made Kill La Kill game. I don't even care if it's Wii-U exclusive or not, I just want it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You know how much I'd rather not have two of the same kind of game? One game like Bayonetta is enough, having another game about a scantily clad lady blowing shit up like a badass would just make it less unique.. making it some licensed anime game would be extra salt on the wound. 

Hoping that the "Bayonetta-esque game" just means it'll be as over the top. I'll take that in a hot second.