Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

So you mean... dudebros then.

And now I feel dumb for saying something so redundant.

Though, thinking about it, how much of the whole 'dudebro' demographic is a US thing? I'm pretty sure it's practically nonexistent in Japan (they generally don't give two shits about shooters, the last shooter franchise I remember gaining any kind of traction there was Left 4 Dead (I also hear Hideo Kojima (or someone else, can't remember) enjoys those games)), and it's probably very much reduced dramatically in Europe and the UK.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

I think it's part of the "macho" part of US culture. I mean, we do glamorize the shooty guns.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

And now I feel dumb for saying something so redundant.

Though, thinking about it, how much of the whole 'dudebro' demographic is a US thing? I'm pretty sure it's practically nonexistent in Japan (they generally don't give two shits about shooters, the last shooter franchise I remember gaining any kind of traction there was Left 4 Dead (I also hear Hideo Kojima (or someone else, can't remember) enjoys those games)), and it's probably very much reduced dramatically in Europe and the UK.

They're manly, slammin games that a dudebro can show off to his bodacious booty-licious lady and not feel like a total lamer.

So yeah, it's a western thing.

They're manly, slammin games that a dudebro can show off to his bodacious booty-licious lady and not feel like a total lamer.

So yeah, it's a western thing.

Ironically, I suspect that ladies would probably be more interested in something like Super Mario.  Not universally so, but probably on average.

Nintendo needs a new exclusive franchise something that appeals across the board, Hardcore Nintendo fans, young gamers, mature gamers (doesn't have to been shooter based) that feels like a Nintendo game.

Nintendo is more than capable of making a great new franchise.

I am not against marketing their system towards family but it is a niche they have been filling for a while now. Like they have been saying if they want to bring back more 'hardcore' gamers and can't get more third party support then they need a new game franchise because a new Mario game and a Zelda Remake isn't going to cut it I am afraid.sleep.png

Let me stress again it doesn't have to been an FPS.

They need a strong direction and focus with a strong new franchise. With all this the Third Party Publishers and developers would have no choice to start taking Nintendo serious again.

Problem is it too late? Anyway for all we know E3 they might have some big surprises in store.   

Also, I wanted to jump back in here to say that while I really like Discord's ideas, I don't think the Wii-U's going to do badly overall this gen at all. All of you just wait until E3 and the end of the year when those games (that they showed at E3) come out, and I trust Iwata to make a massive focused marketing push at the end of the year when those games come out (Didn't he say that was the plan somewhere? I don't remember, correct me if I'm wrong.....). A 3ds-style comeback, if you will. 

So yeah, I'm nowhere near counting out this system yet. 

Chaos Warp is right. We might get a megaton of new stuff come E3, and once we know what new games are coming out for the Wii U (and 3DS) we will see if Nintendo's future will be bright or not. I really do hope it is though...

Edited by Gabz Girl

I seriously think Nintendo should have waited until they had at least a few titles for the Wii U completely finished before they released. That also would have also given them some time to see what their competitors are doing and tweak their tech/software to at least be somewhat on-par with what they're offering. It just seems like it's done them no good whatsoever by releasing last year.

• Thumbs Up 2

All of you just wait until E3 and the end of the year when those games (that they showed at E3) come out

Don't tell that to us, tell that to Nintendo. It was an unwise decision to waste a year head start and it's an even unwiser decision having to wait for a period in time when two new consoles are going to cannibalize themselves over which one can come out on top, even when the current ones are consistently outselling everything on the market. At that point, Wii U's relevance is going to have been diminished, if it already isn't.

I trust Iwata to make a massive focused marketing push at the end of the year when those games come out (Didn't he say that was the plan somewhere? I don't remember, correct me if I'm wrong.....).

He said the complete opposite and that they're not going to increase their marketing budget, instead relying on internet means such as Twitter and Facebook to push their console.

• Thumbs Up 1

Replies in bold. 

Don't tell that to us, tell that to Nintendo. It was an unwise decision to waste a year head start and it's an even unwiser decision having to wait for a period in time when two new consoles are going to cannibalize themselves over which one can come out on top, even when the current ones are consistently outselling everything on the market. At that point, Wii U's relevance is going to have been diminished, if it already isn't.

But considering what they will most likely reveal at E3 (New 3d Mario, Mario Kart U, etc etc), those types of games are system sellers, especially Mario Kart. The games revealed will bring it back into relevance alongside PS4 and ShitBox (if the rumors are true about Durango, then It'll be ShitBox)
He said the complete opposite and that they're not going to increase their marketing budget, instead relying on internet means such as Twitter and Facebook to push their console.

Oh....well that's not a bad idea either. Tons of people are on Twitter and Facebook. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

Replies in bold. 

The majority of the 5 - 12 year old demographics don't have facebook or twitter so how will they know if a new game is coming out. Perfect example of Nintendo's screw ups. I work at best buy, so I had this father come up to me and say. Where is the New Super Mario Bros game. His son was playing NSMBU. I said it here and its for the Wii U. he was surprised and said So its not for the Wii. He told his kid and he got really upset that he couldn't play it and the dad wasn't going to fork over more cash to buy him the new console.

The majority of the 5 - 12 year old demographics don't have facebook or twitter so how will they know if a new game is coming out. Perfect example of Nintendo's screw ups. I work at best buy, so I had this father come up to me and say. Where is the New Super Mario Bros game. His son was playing NSMBU. I said it here and its for the Wii U. he was surprised and said So its not for the Wii. He told his kid and he got really upset that he couldn't play it and the dad wasn't going to fork over more cash to buy him the new console.

Well yeah they don't have it often (you'd be surprised actually, Ughhhhhh), but Nintendo's core audience would probably have stuff like that. 

Well yeah they don't have it often (you'd be surprised actually, Ughhhhhh), but Nintendo's core audience would probably have stuff like that. 

Trust me I know. My now 17 year old female cousin had a myspace page when she was 10. Her uncle had to put a parental block on it so she couldn't get on it. She then resorted to coming over our house and tried to get on myspace here. But we knew what was up so we said the pc was broken. Plus before I worked at best buy I worked in an after school program. 8 year olds were using their cell phones and text messaging so yeah.

"Mario 3D" confirmed for October; CVG reports that other game launches and an advertising "blitz" will take place throughout the second half of 2012.

Nintendo plots Wii U resurgence with 3D Mario by October

Media blitz to commence after summer; string of major releases planned for 2013

Nintendo is internally lining up a string of high profile releases for the second half of 2013 as part of a major new bid to recover from Wii U's stuttering start.

Discussions with retail chains at executive level paint Nintendo's 2013 release strategy as extensive, with the headline draw being a new 3D Mario game released on Wii U by October.

Internal discussions have helped restore retailers' faith in the console, which has been hit by errors since launch. Global Wii U saleshave fallen two million units short of Nintendo's original forecast.

The firm's current focus on 3DS, coupled with the relatively hushed PR and promotional campaign for the Wii U in the first half of 2013, had left some retailers questioning the platform holder's commitment to its new console.

However, one person close to the matter has said Nintendo's executive circle was not comfortable fully promoting Wii U until the release of the system's spring update. In January, Nintendo said two updates would arrive before the summer is over.

The first update, which launched in April (details), appears to have halved waiting times on various system loading screens.

The underpinning theory is that word-of-mouth discussion about Wii U has not been particularly positive so far, with many users complaining about system performance. However, it is hoped that the recent firmware patch (along with an apparent second one releasing this summer) will improve the user experience and help stimulate positive responses.

Now with many of the Wii U's launch issues behind it, CVG understands Nintendo is preparing a significant global Wii U marketing campaign.

Further to this, it was claimed by one source that Nintendo is intentionally holding back the release of some games - from Pikmin 3 to The Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U - in order to bolster the second-half release list. However, a second source familiar with Nintendo's plans had denied the company is intentionally delaying game releases.

In April, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said the corporation initially intended to release "a few" Wii U games in the first half of 2013, but they were delayed because the company underestimated the development resources required to complete them on time.

A number of blockbuster Wii U games will be released from summer until the end of the year, one of which is a new 3D Mario title. Although CVG is not yet able to confirm what the others will be, a new Mario Kart will debut in playable form at E3.

The marketing campaign will commence at the Los Angeles event (although some claim sooner), where the 3D Mario game will also be playable on the show floor. The title will be released before October, pending development delays.

Shelly Pearce, the PR director at Nintendo UK, told CVG: "From July onwards we will launch a succession of Wii U titles and we will promote these extensively until the end of the year. Marketing activity will include TV, print, online and PR as well as comprehensive experiential and social media campaigns".

She added: "We have a strong line up planned for Wii U in the second half of 2013 including the likes of Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Wii U.

"We are looking forward to launching these in the UK and for the opportunity to showcase the full potential of Wii U."

Link: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/404493/nintendo-plots-wii-u-resurgence-with-3d-mario-by-october/

Well...........................look who was right about an aggressive marketing push........

Seriously though this was a logical thing to do and I'm glad that they are doing it.

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

They had no choice, they have to place all their bets on the last few months of the year and be as aggressive as possible, do viral marketing, loads of TV spots and banners, etc.

Also, 3D Mario and Pokémon in one month? I don't think my body can handle it.

• Thumbs Up 3

CVG has posted a lot of bullshit in the past so I'm not buying this rumor in it's entirety yet. 3D Mario in October is the most educated guess anyone could have made, and Nintendo's definition of "aggressive marketing" does not equate to effective, especially if Iwata's investor's meeting quotes are anything to go by.

This was probably covered months ago but, is there any other differences between Basic and Premium U's besides colour and flash drive space? You can still store stuff on SD cards right?

Premium has a bunch of stands and a discount service for Nintendo Network. Buy a bunch of things and you'll be able to get some money off on later purchases.

You can use SD cards but you can also use portable USB HDDs formatted for it.

This was probably covered months ago but, is there any other differences between Basic and Premium U's besides colour and flash drive space? You can still store stuff on SD cards right?

No there isn't, but an External HDD is much more recommended because they're much faster than SD cards.

You can't use SD cards for data. Only USB devices. I know.. it sucks.

So we can expect sales to be low until July, with a huge boost towards holiday season? Not bad.

You can use SD cards for anythin' if you use a USB converter for it, i.e. a USB SD Card Reader.

It works allegedly, a lot of people wouldn't suggest it (maybe for speed reasons?), but it works.

October? Wow, if its true that's pretty early. I sure hope they don't rush it!

It's Nintendo.

Meaning it'll be delayed 3 times and miss this year. rolleyes.gif