Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I'm just surprised they aren't jumping on the game train like with the 3DS. They're really starting to turn that handheld around (even from the Gaf'ers perspective) by bringing back old franchises and such. I know it isn't all they should be doing, but it's a start. Showing off a LTTP sequel counts as huge news in the gaming community.

So why aren't they doing the same with the Wii U? I'm guessing the news will come eventually, but the clock is ticking.

Probably because the thing is less than half a year old. Nintendo sat on it with the 3DS for a considerable amount of time too.

The main problem is that I think Nintendo are too quick to make games that are good yet similar instead of games that are good but with ranging variety. I mean sequels of the NSMB series aren't the most innovative bunch, yet how many games do we have in that series?

They've shown they can bring back old franchises out of literally nowhere and make it something pretty damn cool. Kid Icarus Uprising was a good example of that. How about Ice Climbers? A downloadable Game & Watch-styled game? A new F-Zero in this day and age would be amazing, don't get me started on Starfox.

• Thumbs Up 1

Weren't people just complaining that they're taking too long to make games, though? If they listen to that, I expect a lot more NSMB type games. I mean, they're fun and all, but I don't want a Mario version of Madden.

Alright, let's storm Nintendo of Japan and up-rise against Iwata. Discord will lead the revolution. 

The only thing I don't agree with is that Nintendo needs a "dudebro" title to appeal to the COD/AC/"Mature Gaming" crowd. That could be taken care of by a third party exclusive, Nintendo doesn't need to go there. 

Third party exclusives are hardly even a thing anymore, though. Not enough payoff for the publishers nowadays, as far as I know.

I would sort of fall in the category of hardcore Nintendo fan. I've played their systems since NES and the only deviation that I've ever had from them is liking a blue hedgehog and getting the console where I could play the blue hedgehog's games. But the Wii U has never caught my tastes. NSMBU didn't do it. Yes it looks nice, but after NSMB2 ( which I love) I need a break from the series, just like I did with Mario Kart until recently when I bought MK7. Not even Yarn Yoshi is calling my interest. So This might be the first time that I actually skip a generation Nintendo console. (I almost skipped Wii if it wasn't for NSMBWii, DKCR, Galaxy 2 and Colors).

...You're calling a skip when the system has been out for like 5 and half months.

Read my last sentence, those games where near the end of the Wii's life span. That's how long it to me to upgrade my Gamecube.

And yet you said that this might be the first generation where you skip a Nintendo console, when there's barely any evidence to support that games you want won't be coming. There's a difference between saying "I'll wait a long time" and "Well, I probably won't get it". I'm sorry, but your words are just striking me as the things today's incredibly spoiled and never satisfied gamer that got us into this AAA game hell.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

And yet you said that this might be the first generation where you skip a Nintendo console, when there's barely any evidence to support that games you want won't be coming. There's a difference between saying "I'll wait a long time" and "Well, I probably won't get it". I'm sorry, but your words are just striking me as the things today's incredibly spoiled and never satisfied gamer that got us into this AAA game hell.

That's why I included the word  might  in the sentence. I never said I wouldn't but again we are starting to argue over pity things. My opinion shouldn't get you mad.

Never satisfied gamer, really, wow! I'm very tolerate with games. I like NSMB2 for all the flak that it got cuz of its design, I like Sonic Generations 3DS even with the nightmare that was the 3DS topic thread.

Then why count the Wii U out? All I'm saying is that, I've been seeing band wagoning every where I go with this thing. The system is like freakin' Conan O'Brien's Tonight Show or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

I should note that the 'dudebro' audience, while it does exist, is so ridiculously hard to capture it's almost just not worth trying most of the time. Only Call of Duty has really succeeded in doing so, with Halo to a much lesser extent. Most other publishers in the industry have been chasing this audience for a piece of that pie and are falling flat on their asses repeatedly trying to do so, while simultaneously watering down franchises at the same time. The dudebro audience only gives a shit about one or two franchises, and that's about it, and CoD got them on the hook by a complete fluke.

Trying to hook that audience takes a ridiculous amount of effort and money, way too much to really make it worth it when the chances of it actually working are so damn slim.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Again, maybe people just don't like it or think it's worth the investment. I own a Wii, and despite really enjoying some gems like Skyward Sword and Donkey Kong Country Returns, I got far more use and enjoyment out of my PS3 and PC. Judging from what we have now and the direction Nintendo's been going in for years now, I don't see it as a worthwhile investment and I would much rather put my money into the PS4 or upgrades for my PC. 

Of course, I can only speak for myself. Ask him why he doesn't want one and I'm sure you'll get a perfectly substantial reason. Ask anyone why they don't want one and depending on where you're looking (i.e. not YouTube comments) you should get completely legitimate reasoning. Some people don't care about Mario, Zelda, or Pikmin. Nintendo doesn't seem to be making the changes they want.

Why are they obligated to be optimistic about the Wii U?

Shy Guy said he thinks he'll skip this gen because he doesn't like what he sees. As of now I'd say the same thing. Of course, that statement is viable to change if Nintendo can make a PS3-esque comeback, and I really hope they do. But looking at past evidence and Nintendo's general air of disconnection from the rest of the industry (perfectly symbolized by their decision to bow out of an E3 press conference in exchange for doing their own thing, to use a recent example), I don't see it happening. We'll all be waiting and watching though. And I think we all hope to eat our words later on in the face of some genuine improvement.

• Thumbs Up 1

The main problem is that I think Nintendo are too quick to make games that are good yet similar instead of games that are good but with ranging variety. I mean sequels of the NSMB series aren't the most innovative bunch, yet how many games do we have in that series?

...But those were games made over a duration of a decade. Definitely not a short time.

Edited by Autosaver

The dudebro audience isn't going to buy anything called "Wii U", that's for sure. It's not a cool enough name. These are the same guys who came up with such sophisticated names as "Pii U" when Bayonetta 2 was announced an exclusive. As for other maters, maybe I'm too optimistic, but I really don't see any point in any of this armchair directing or any other thing that calls the Wii U out as some sort of failure when it's existed for only a few months. Even the Vita, which I counted out myself, and I'm ashamed that I did so now. It has it's thing, and the Wii U will have its thing too. Same happened for the 3DS. Same happened for the PS3, which was doing freakin' abysmal for its first year. I also would really like to see just how many of these people saying "well, this what I would do" even were going to buy a Wii U ever. People seem to find much more joy over talking about such things rather than actually playing with them. At least these days. Game comes out, people ask for more and talk about what's next. In that sense, maybe I do find myself disgusted with gamer culture a bit. Oh my god, what am I?

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

The dudebro audience isn't going to buy anything called "Wii U", that's for sure. It's not a cool enough name. These are the same guys who came up with such sophisticated names as "Pii U" when Bayonetta 2 was announced an exclusive. 

... Okay, I can't help but feel you're grasping here. While it's true that, as Shirou Emiya pointed out, that particular market is rather hard to hook, all it takes is one solidly built title that really appeals to them. Make it a franchise, and you've got an enormous market in the palm of your hands.

I don't think the name of the console matters. At all.

... Okay in the Wii U's case the name

is stupid beyond belief because it's confusing to people who don't already know what the damn thing is, but I digress.

Personally, I'd go for a Metroid-esque new IP (to avoid upsetting fans with a reboot) as the likeliest thing to rope them in, but that's just me hazarding a guess. Once they get that game they'll be satisfied; I highly doubt they have some kind of vendetta against Nintendo.

Even IF they did, like Shirou has said, what would stop them from failing? The "dudebros" belong to Call of Duty, it just happened to be out there at the right time and hooked that different bit of game players. All Nintendo would accomplish is wasting a huge amount of money, just like EA, Square-Enix, and others. Also, you seriously don't know how juvenile people are, do you? Now this probably is me being pessimistic, but there are plenty that discredit Nintendo consoles due to their look and names, comparing them to toys while being all over the Xbox and PlayStation lines. Hell, I even have a cousin who became a dudebro and said to me "Why do you own that 3DS? It's for kids! Look at it, it even looks like a toy.", and he grew up on Nintendo games. HE GREW UP ON NINTENDO GAMES.

(He's an all right guy. He was just busting my balls, even though that is the way he feels about Nintendo now.)

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

I will be honest here. It has come to the point where I don't even mention my preference of Nintendo's consoles. The only people that truly know my love for Nintendo are my parents, cousins, close friends, and a few of my co-workers ( and the Nintendo rep that visits our store). Nintendo lately hasn't done anything that makes me go out and confidently say I am a Nintendo fan.

Ironically, Madden is also one of the biggest dudebro games. All 'dat full circle.

But the fact remains that they wouldn't buy a Wii U for Madden, since they can get it on everything but the toaster oven.

And Wii U!

spf9c3.jpg

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Ironically, Madden is also one of the biggest dudebro games. All 'dat full circle.

If only because most people in the US who actually give a damn about any kind of sport have a massive goddamn hard-on for american football.

If only because most people in the US who actually give a damn about any kind of sport have a massive goddamn hard-on for american football.

So you mean... dudebros then.

• Thumbs Up 3

But I love football...and I'm not a dudebro tornado.D: although I hate most madden games.

Edited by Roxas