Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Due to the improved brand power of games like Mario Kart and Wii Fit, I'd be very surprised if the WiiU ended the gen with only Gamecube-like numbers. I don't think that's too optimistic.

If Nintendo are really smart they'll make a new Animal Crossing and Pokémon game that is as wonderfully advertised as their handheld counterparts. I honestly think the only reasons Pokémon Colosseum and Animal Crossing City Folk didn't sell that well is because Nintendo knew those games weren't up to consumer expectations or wishes, there was next to no advertising or hype and those games didn't generate word-of-mouth for being awesome.

Those games are megabig, so so many people want a true console Pokémon game.

I know Pokémon if GF's jurisdiction but.. couldn't Nintendo break that once to make a game that could be killer successful? Honestly now.

• Thumbs Up 4

I find it unlikely it will pull just Gamecube numbers. The numbers this generation were ridiculous, for all 3 manufacturers. Though there's a possibility of a "burst", the same would happen to the other 2 as well. So it wouldn't be that big of a deal (not like it was with Gamecube either, though).

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Gamecube numbers? Really? Lol... someone is in for a surprise!

Gamecube numbers? Really? Lol... someone is in for a surprise!

You're right. It's doing worse than that now.

You're right. It's doing worse than that now.

Because it's not like Mario, Smash Bros., and Zelda aren't all giant franchises who haven't released their big console games yet.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, let's be honest. Nintendo hasn't kicked off their advertising campaign (probably holding off till holiday season) and many of their games are coming out holiday season. There is little reason to own the system now. I'm sure sales will boost tremendously once games like Smash Bros, Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Wii Fit, etc come out. This is what I believe people don't grasp at.

In other news, Tank Tank Tank! is free on the eShop. Downloading it can give you a total of 70 coins. You can play it 3 times a day with the limit removed if you buy one DLC pack. I'm looking at getting Kong mode because it's 80% off and is supposedly the best part of the game.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 4

Because it's not like Mario, Smash Bros., and Zelda aren't all giant franchises who haven't released their big console games yet.

While I'm aware of increased brand awareness, Gamecube had practically all of Nintendo's major franchises and it didn't really save it. Also that had the bonus of having even better third party support than the Wii U had. Also, Wii U has the fucking "Wii" name on it. If that doesn't count for brand awareness then I don't know what does.

The reason the franchises mattered so much on the Wii is because of the base having been increased on account of the casual consumer. It was the only way to increase the tepid Gamecube base, but that isn't going to magically return to the Wii U, partially because of lack in marketing (which people need to stop using as an excuse because Nintendo has confirmed that it isn't going to increase it's marketing budget at all) and consumer confusion , but also because of lack of public appeal.

I never claimed they'd end up going under Gamecube numbers but right now its performing worse than the GC did in its launch aligned window, even with Nintendo hyping up that NSMBU on release. It'll recover, but don't expect it to come out on top this generation.

I'm not expecting the WiiU to top but GC numbers? I really don't think it's gonna do anywhere that bad by the end of the game.

While I'm aware of increased brand awareness, Gamecube had practically all of Nintendo's major franchises and it didn't really save it. Also that had the bonus of having even better third party support than the Wii U had.

During the GC era, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing weren't system sellers, nowhere near it. A majority of gamers hated the new Zelda style and it's since then grown a large fanbase.

These are just some examples, but during the N64 and GC eras, Nintendo's core franchises were nowhere near as iconic and successful as they are now. Nintendo has fully understood how to really capitalise the Mario brand by appealing to both new generations of gamers and the retro generation.

Nintendo's major franchises didn't save the GC because at that point in time, the majority of the market didn't consider them major, they didn't get big TV plugs and retail advertising, just like the rest of the GC games they were at the back of the shop. Now shops have entire sections dedicated to Mario games.

I dunno, I just think that Nintendo's big selling franchises have come leaps and bounds in brand power since the GC days.

• Thumbs Up 4

I dunno, I just think that Nintendo's big selling franchises have come leaps and bounds in brand power since the GC days.

If that's so I'd like to see an explanation as to why NSMB meant far more to the 3DS than it ultimately ended up meaning for the Wii U.

To those guys saying this is a blow to the Wii-U: Well yeah, sorta. But EA is just such a giant screw-up at this point that it's hard to treat them anywhere near seriously. It just reads like one more stupid/petty decision after about fifty others.

Losing the EA Sports titles is quite a big blow, not a "well yeah, sorta" blow. A lot of sports gamers are casual gamers that don't follow the news like we do and don't give a shit about EA as a company. All they want to know is if they can play the new FIFA, Madden, Tiger Woods PGA Tour etc on their console of choice. This year is going to be decision time for a lot of people going in to the new generation of consoles and with EA not releasing their EA Sports titles on the Wii U this year, sports fans are going to go for the PS4 or the next Xbox.  

If that's so I'd like to see an explanation as to why NSMB meant far more to the 3DS than it ultimately ended up meaning for the Wii U.

It was released quite some time into the 3DS' lifespan, just like it was on Wii and DS. There was no advertising or marketing push for either the WiiU or NSMBU. Perhaps due to the increased amount in deals for DS, 3DS and Wii when their respective entries launched, the game was hugely successful on all 3 and helped boost console sales quite considerably.

Nintendo didn't take time or market context into consideration at all when launching the WiiU with NSMBU. The game is perhaps a system seller of something you can get for ~£150, a good fun game with friends and an entry game to the system, but something that was £300 at the time of marketing and hasn't had any real marketing push since?

People who wanted NSMBU for a fun blast from time to time weren't willing to buy an expensive console, even if they knew the WiiU even existed. NSMBU will continue to sell and be successful throughout the WiiU's life, but it won't sell the system in bursts like its predecessors because of ridiculously clumsy marketing and timing. It didn't have an audience because it didn't even understand the audience it already had; the WiiU doesn't yet appeal to that audience.

Edited by SuperLink

So... is this console doomed now? I mean, with all the hoopla about it lately, I don't know what to think anymore.

It was released quite some time into the 3DS' lifespan, just like it was on Wii and DS. There was no advertising or marketing push for either the WiiU or NSMBU. Perhaps due to the increased amount in deals for DS, 3DS and Wii when their respective entries launched, the game was hugely successful on all 3 and helped boost console sales quite considerably.

Nintendo didn't take time or market context into consideration at all when launching the WiiU with NSMBU. The game is perhaps a system seller of something you can get for ~£150, a good fun game with friends and an entry game to the system, but something that was £300 at the time of marketing and hasn't had any real marketing push since?

People who wanted NSMBU for a fun blast from time to time weren't willing to buy an expensive console, even if they knew the WiiU even existed. NSMBU will continue to sell and be successful throughout the WiiU's life, but it won't sell the system in bursts like its predecessors because of ridiculously clumsy marketing and timing. It didn't have an audience because it didn't understand the audience it already had; the WiiU didn't appeal to that audience.

In essence, you're contradicting your claim that the "big selling franchises" have more of an impact now than then. Yes, they have an impact; in proportion to how many units of the console are sold. But I haven't seen any signs showing that those "other" franchises are the magic be-all end-all cure. It helped the 3DS but the handheld market is vastly different from that of the console market, and to add onto that was a price drop which helped spur the sales in a market that is the only one Nintendo has consistently mattered as far as success goes ever since starting off. Is a 3D Mario and Mario Kart really going to push such a crazy substantial amount of units over the edge or is the increase in those titles' prominence for the Wii a by-product on that the Wii was just an evergreen console that meant there was a fantastic user base to provide content for?

Wii U's problems isn't just down to "poor marketing", and as I said, it's not going to be better because Nintendo has stated in their financial briefing that budget for it wouldn't increase later in the year. Why should it? The Wii U has it's fair slew of TV ads, has had spots and banners, etc. Is it that far fetched to just admit that perhaps it's the console is just an unappealing product as of now? Everyone banked on that "magic" combination of a "Wii" console and "New Super Mario" to keep it afloat, but it's not really doing that. That's for a plethora of reasons that aren't necessarily remedied by a few Nintendo franchises, some such as Pikmin that people are putting way too much stake into considering that the series never even sold that good. Wii U is constantly being thrown into the hum-drumming between current and next-gen, it's missing out on a plethora of vital games from vital third parties, it has no gimmick that's proved to be appealing for the mass consumer, it's commonly mistaken for being an add-on, it's pretty arguably overpriced and a lot of it's hardware and software elements are relatively archaic. The word of mouth is not that great for that matter.

I've said this but the console is Nintendo's attempt at wanting to have their cake and eat it, and that's not really working out for them. I enjoy using the console, but right now it's under a massive identity crisis that's plaguing it even in Japan where it's not even managing to hold up 10k a week, even with titles like Dragon Quest X and Monster Hunter under it's belt. It doesn't really gel with hardcore, it doesn't really provide much for casuals. Third parties don't want to develop for it since they're more excited about other consoles or don't see much of an opportunity cost. To have games, you need games, but it's a race at this point that Nintendo are not doing a great job in fixing and will have even more trouble to do once it goes on.

I'm even doubting Wii Fit being anywhere near as close to what it did with the Wii because people already have that game, but I could be proven wrong. I'd love to, since I love Nintendo more than any other gaming company. I'm satisfied with my Wii U in terms of what content it's provided, and as long as I get the quota of Wii U games that has been promised, I'll be happy. But I'm not arguing content here, and optimism for that is moot when faced by the other elephant in the room.

If the Wii U wants to be a success on it's own merits, it needs to provide something new. People like new things. It needs to be appealing in it's own way, and it's not doing that right now. You can't rest on your laurels when there's nothing in your product that's having much of a mass appeal.

So... is this console doomed now? I mean, with all the hoopla about it lately, I don't know what to think anymore.

Of course not. People saying this are morons. Never count out panic mode Nintendo. But if I were you I wouldn't start expecting the coming of the starborn ones.

• Thumbs Up 2

They just need to release a free art app or something, and then say "hey, lookit! you can use the wii-u as  your drawing tablet of choice!" bam, profit.

Nintendo are definitely trying to eat their cake, they have already made the mistakes and I *think* are learning from it. It's part of their """tactic""" to delay all their big games to Q3/4. It needs a serious momentum to roll and it doesn't have one at all yet. Even the Wii and DS had momentum at some points.

The problem is a plethora of things obviously too, not just marketing but also the price point and the lack of marketable games or features. The price point doesn't match Nintendo's usual demographic, maybe that'll change once Nintendo begin to price it competitively (like the thing that helped the 3DS do well and I'm sure the WiiU will drop come the PS4 and NextBox too).

A 3D Mario won't sell the console and I think Mario Kart will only help if it's marketed alongside games like Mario Bros and other things that are popular. The system is expensive, so unless they drop the price they can't sell the system on one popular game, it needs to be that fun party console you can get for kinda cheap if it wants that success, it still has time to become that but I'm worried that Nintendo's desperation to make systems at a profit will make them shoot themselves in the foot. It's a tactic that they haven't gone for before and it's showing, embarrassingly so.

And I don't think Wii Fit U will be nearly as successful either, but it's the kind of game that can be marketed and pushed after its release and last a while. I also don't think anyone ever thought Pikmin was going to be a system seller, Nintendo know it isn't either, they're just releasing it cause it's been in development for forever and is finally almost done. The system sellers here will be Mario Kart, Wind Waker, Wii Fit, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, but they need to be released in bunches, preferably with a price drop, if they're to make any sort of big ripple that'll get peoples' attention.

The marketing opportunity is there, I just hope Nintendo are actually smart about it because so far they really haven't been.

Also what Soma said that'd go over really well.

EDIT: The difference between the GC and WiiU is.. the GC wasn't expensive.. at all. And even then, it wasn't marketed with the mastery that was the Wii marketing, it didn't sell tons because of the new Mario Kart that everyone should want to be playing, a real party experience. Even though the thing was only £130, or less! The Wii was more than that and look how much Mario Kart shifted the Wii. Brand has definitely strengthened since then, of that I have no doubt.

Unfortunately, the price has also soared to a level that isn't usual for Nintendo.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh no. How tragic. What ever will Wii U owners do without a boring football simulator.

You would be surprised. It may not seem like a blow to you. But Sports Games are popular across the Board and they have a very wide appeal something the Wii U needs.sleep.png

I have said this before Nintendo need to make it clear who they marketing this system to.

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 5

It's only going to get harder for Nintendo as the year moves on.

I know there are plenty of gamers out there that were holding off on the Wii U for the sake of seeing which is the better buy between it and the competition. Nintendo hasn't taken advantage of the time it's had. The buzz around the PlayStation 4 and the soon to be revealed new Xbox are killing interest in the Wii U.

I really think the only thing that will keep the Wii U afloat at this point is if it ends up being considerably cheaper. If the these new consoles are priced close enough to the Wii U and the launch library for them isn't complete and total garbage then there's going to be a serious problem.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't give a damn how much "stronger" those brands are now (and Melee and Double Dash were the two best selling games on the system period, so...). Nintendo sold the Gamecube for two years for less money than the GBA cost while also giving away one of those big franchise games, and that didn't do shit to turn the system around. The industry is a LOT more dudebro then it was then, and EA still supported the Gamecube.

• Thumbs Up 4

^ That was an excellent post which everyone needs to read.

You pretty much nailed every key point that Nintendo needs to focus on in order for them to be viewed in a positive light again, outside of their core fan base.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wrote a shit ton. Whoops.

tumblr_inline_mlsam0QS9a1qhbu6x.gif

That may have been a shit ton, but I agree with everything you said.

Hmm, do you think a new Metroid game counts as something a "dudebro" would like? I mean, it is a shooter..

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_inline_mlsam0QS9a1qhbu6x.gif

That may have been a shit ton, but I agree with everything you said.

Hmm, do you think a new Metroid game counts as something a "dudebro" would like? I mean, it is a shooter..

I don't really think so, personally. Metroid's always focused a lot more on the exploration, backtracking, and puzzle-solving than the actual shooting. 

Of course, it could become something more focused on action, which isn't a bad thing in its own right, though I'd imagine fans wouldn't like that very much.

Alright, let's storm Nintendo of Japan and up-rise against Iwata. Discord will lead the revolution. 

The only thing I don't agree with is that Nintendo needs a "dudebro" title to appeal to the COD/AC/"Mature Gaming" crowd. That could be taken care of by a third party exclusive, Nintendo doesn't need to go there. 

I'm just surprised they aren't jumping on the game train like with the 3DS. They're really starting to turn that handheld around (even from the Gaf'ers perspective) by bringing back old franchises and such. I know it isn't all they should be doing, but it's a start. Showing off a LTTP sequel counts as huge news in the gaming community.

So why aren't they doing the same with the Wii U? I'm guessing the news will come eventually, but the clock is ticking.

I don't really think so, personally. Metroid's always focused a lot more on the exploration, backtracking, and puzzle-solving than the actual shooting. 

Of course, it could become something more focused on action, which isn't a bad thing in its own right, though I'd imagine fans wouldn't like that very much.

Not if you restrict it to a multiplayer mode. Never really seemed to be a problem in Metroid Prime Hunters.

Of course, if there were actually a way to integrate exploration and puzzle solving into a multiplayer Metroid game besides bog-standard co-op, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

Edited by The Cheese