Awoo.

Sonic Generations: New Screenshots and Arts [Archive]

Woun

It's not "stretch and squash," it's Squash and Stretch. O-O

*was peeving me for awhile*

And I like what they did in the Rider's intro, and the Unleashed opening, those are just different animation styles and techniques. The stuff seen in the Riders intro sure beats the whole of Sonic X as far as I'm concerned.

Have fun playing with your Betty Spaghetti dolls then.
Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 7

Sonic Team really can't help but to put emphasis on Crisis City being ruined Empire City

Edited by Cero

It has been common knowledge that hedgehogs have appendages. Anyone remember ShTh? That also explains why Sonic's arms get all scretchy as a werehog.

On the Facebook page:

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

You may not know this, but some people just don't like stretch-and-squash animation style. It's personal preference

However, as I already said, I really don't care. As long as its not glaringly bad, like Werehog's walking animation in Unleashed, I don't really care about how exactly the characters animate. It's all about the gameplay and sound, for me.

Squash and stretch isn't an animation style. It's an actual principle of the medium, and as such has been used innumerable times ever since the men at Disney figured it out. So permeated has it become in animation across the world and across almost innumerable mediums for the sake of achieving believeability in character motion that saying "I don't like squash and stretch animation" is basically akin to saying "I don't like animation."

Also, there is nothing wrong with the Werehog's walking animation...or any of his animations...or almost any character's animations in that entire game. =/

So I'm on the Facebook page, I see the screens, and man, I'm really excited to see how what they're doing with Silver will play... And then I see this comment on the stretchy animation still. The fact so many have "liked" it astounds me even further than the shortsightedness of the initial comment. Christ, people will moan about anything won't they?

SilverWTF.jpg

He looks like he's shitting it out. That's my concern, not the length.

It's also a tad thick, but that's just how he rolls.

• Thumbs Up 2

"Yeah, that's right, I'm stretching. You got a problem with that? I wanna fully enjoy taking you apart without some pulled muscle slowing me down."

This made my day, thank you very much.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 4

Wait. Silver's actually fast now? RUINED FOREVER! [/trollface.jpg]

Also, I think that screenshot could mean we get an elemental shield, but we can activate it whenever we want.

Squash and stretch isn't an animation style. It's an actual principle of the medium, and as such has been used innumerable times ever since the men at Disney figured it out. So permeated has it become in animation across the world and across almost innumerable mediums for the sake of achieving believeability in character motion that saying "I don't like squash and stretch animation" is basically akin to saying "I don't like animation."

Also, there is nothing wrong with the Werehog's walking animation...or any of his animations...or almost any character's animations in that entire game. =/

Okay, I'll take back everything I said about squash and stretch. Whatever.

But no way did the werehog's walking animation look good in the HD version. It looked like a jittery mess; even when the game was running perfectly fine, it felt like he was missing five frames.

Can we stop complaining about traditional cartoon animation techniques and go back to bitching about how terrible a character Silver the Hedgehog is? Because holy shit, he's bad

Can we stop complaining about traditional cartoon animation techniques and go back to bitching about how terrible a character Silver the Hedgehog is? Because holy shit, he's bad

Yeah, bashing a random character is so much better than talking about animation right..? =\

I hope you're joking. Anyway i will stick with Sonic's friends, stretchy legs, chase battles and pretty much everything we've been discussed in the last 2 pages if that's okay with everybody. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

No, because as Sonic fans it is our duty to bitch about the most ridiculous things possible. The animators doing a good job is a much worse justification for bitching than the arguable quality of the character.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, bashing a random character is so much better than talking about animation right..? =\

But of course! Silver is one of the most unnecessary, terrible characters in the Sonic series, and it warrants discussion. It can't be all OMG SONIC circle-jerk, ya know.

Its funny, because Silver isn't even supposed to be part of the Sonic franchise. His gameplay was copied over from another title that never got out of planning before Sonic Team was abrputly assigned to making a next-gen Sonic game. He was originally designed as a mink, but the team got worried about introducing a genuinely new character design and opted to recycle Shadow instead (hedgehog, golden bracelets and anklets, chest hair, ridges around the eyes; and that's not even getting into Mephiles the Copy/Paste Job).

Also like Shadow is the fact that he makes sense in the context of one game and one game only, and has since lingered on in an increasingly confusing fashion without rhyme, reason, or purpose.

His story arc is a straight knockoff of DBZ. He's characterized as being a cocky guy with a strong sense of justice (Sonic), while still being naive and uncertain of himself (Tails) and more than a bit gullible (Knuckles).

He was an ill-conceived addition to an ill-conceived game, and it's time to let him go.

• Thumbs Up 1

No cause Silver's damned awesome kthnx =P

• Thumbs Up 4

Silver isnt to bad, he just needs to be a lot more likable. Id like to see his naivety be a lot more apparent, but in a cute, innocent way, no a dickish, asshole way.

He was an ill-conceived addition to an ill-conceived game, and it's time to let him go.

How about instead of being lazy cowards, they can actually work on him and make him and his gameplay GOOD!?

Edited by Soniman032-
  • Thumbs Up 2

But of course! Silver is one of the most unnecessary, terrible characters in the Sonic series, and it warrants discussion. It can't be all OMG SONIC circle-jerk, ya know.

Its funny, because Silver isn't even supposed to be part of the Sonic franchise. His gameplay was copied over from another title that never got out of planning before Sonic Team was abrputly assigned to making a next-gen Sonic game. He was originally designed as a mink, but the team got worried about introducing a genuinely new character design and opted to recycle Shadow instead (hedgehog, golden bracelets and anklets, chest hair, ridges around the eyes; and that's not even getting into Mephiles the Copy/Paste Job).

Also like Shadow is the fact that he makes sense in the context of one game and one game only, and has since lingered on in an increasingly confusing fashion without rhyme, reason, or purpose.

His story arc is a straight knockoff of DBZ. He's characterized as being a cocky guy with a strong sense of justice (Sonic), while still being naive and uncertain of himself (Tails) and more than a bit gullible (Knuckles).

Well like, he's not going anywhere, might as well get used to him.

He's here, he's queer, get used to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Yeah, that's right, I'm stretching. You got a problem with that? I wanna fully enjoy taking you apart without some pulled muscle slowing me down."

That's the best thing I've heard all day!

I got to remember that one! :V

Ahaha, I know, I've already written it down!

</Bandwagon>

EDIT: Also, I loved the stretchiness =3 It adds awesomeness and fluidity to the animations. They didn't use much in Sonic 06, if any at all, and that looked incredibly stiff and un-natural... ALSO, the Riders intro was/is one of my favorite Sonic game intros. I wish they'd do more traditional 2D animations with Sonic like that, especially with such a neat and different style like Riders'.

Edited by Aptiva

Silver isnt to bad, he just needs to be a lot more likable. Id like to see his naivety be a lot more apparent, but in a cute, innocent way, no a dickish, asshole way.

But this series needs more dickish assholes. Honestly, a lot of his anger is generally misplaced and overboard, as if he's trying to be the idealistic, commanding hero to the point that he's overbearing and annoying. It adds to the naivete people seem to like so much.

How about instead of being lazy cowards, they can actually work on him and make him and his gameplay GOOD!?

Silly Soniman; the fanbase doesn't believe in betterment and cultivation. It's called slashing and burning. Get with the program.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

I don't think that's being lazy, in fact I think the continual usage of a terrible, misplaced character like Silver speaks of plain ol' stubbornness and not realizing your own mistakes. On a concept level, he's just above Shadow the Hedgehog in awfulness and makes me wonder why he still shows up, especially since the one game he made any sense in got erased from continuity(but unfortunately, not from existence entirely).

Oh lawd, I wish the Werehog was in so bad. If this is the raeg from Silver being in, then the raeg from Mr. Fluffy Mouse making an appearance would've been catastrophic.

• Thumbs Up 1