Awoo.

Sonic Generations: New Screenshots and Arts [Archive]

Woun

So I'm on the Facebook page, I see the screens, and man, I'm really excited to see how what they're doing with Silver will play... And then I see this comment on the stretchy animation still. The fact so many have "liked" it astounds me even further than the shortsightedness of the initial comment. Christ, people will moan about anything won't they?

SilverWTF.jpg

There is no desk left. My head obliterated it.

So I'm on the Facebook page, I see the screens, and man, I'm really excited to see how what they're doing with Silver will play... And then I see this comment on the stretchy animation still. The fact so many have "liked" it astounds me even further than the shortsightedness of the initial comment. Christ, people will moan about anything won't they?

SilverWTF.jpg

There is no desk left. My head obliterated it.

Why must this fanbase take microscopes and analyze every minute detail? Who cares about his leg. I LIEK IT. It makes his model seem more flexable and not so stiff.

It's called squash and stretch people. He's probably kicking off the ground right there, so they did that for a little emphasis. There's far worse deformations in the Unleashed and Colors openings. You will not notice it during actual animation.

Yes, the comment is silly.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Exactly. His left leg IS far too long. You can clearly notice that, especially if you look at his right leg. It looks ridiculous.

That said, I really don't care, because I'm not going to get this game for how the character models look.

• Thumbs Up 8

Exactly what I'm trying to say, Inferno and Blue. The lengthening is an animation technique and it looks much better for it when it's flowing. Why people must complain about every little detail when the whole game is shaping up so nicely I do not know.

That comment IS goddamn silly, the Modern Sonic games, since Unleashed, have used cartoony stretching and distortions in the animation. Hence why Sonic's leg looks long there, he's probably starting a boost or breaking into a run.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Seriously it's really nothing to go crazy about. I couldn't care less what a fella says about Sonic's legs etc. It's longer, it's shorter, it's too thin etc. :)

Edited by frokenok3

It's called squash and stretch people. He's probably kicking off the ground right there, so they did that for a little emphasis. There's far worse deformations in the Unleashed and Colors openings. You will not notice it during actual animation.

Yes, the comment is silly.

Edited by MarcelloF

Holy smokes, guys, he's a cartoony anthropomorphic character! Arms and legs stretch and bend like elastic noodles! They've in fact been doing that since Sonic Unleashed Sonic Heroes Sonic CD Sonic's original concept art. Just... wow. I don't even.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't see how. The leg does look a bit odd, yes, but that's not what I meant. I don't care about that.

I see nothing wrong at all with the comment. The person is just saying it looks too long, it's not like they're not whining and bitching about it.

The leg was intentionally made long because they're using proper animation technique to make Sonic look good in motion, e.g. the animators are doing what they're being paid to do. This isn't some oversight of the character's proportions, hence why I called the comment silly, although it's more so ignorant than anything.

And I didn't say the person who made the comment nor anyone who agreed with him was whining and bitching either.

Edited by Nepenthe

I don't see how. The leg does look a bit odd, yes, but that's not what I meant. I don't care about that.

I see nothing wrong at all with the comment. The person is just saying it looks too long, it's not like they're not whining and bitching about it.

Well it reminds me of a time a dude went crazy on YT after seeing the City Escape trailer... "OMG, Look at modern Sonic when he does his victory pose, his feet are slightly in the ground- I'm already finding glitches- screw you sega!"

Edited by Inferno

The leg was intentionally made long because they're using proper animation technique to make Sonic look good in motion, e.g. the animators are doing what they're being paid to do. This isn't some oversight of the character's proportion, hence why I called the comment silly, although it's more so ignorant than anything.

I know that and I don't care about how the leg looks, to be honest. This picture isn't in motion, so people can't see how it will look better in motion. In this screen, it does look oddly long, I can see why people would notice and mention it.

And I didn't say the person who made the comment nor anyone who agreed with him was whining and bitching either.

That was directed at the people facepalming and getting angry over this.

Edited by MarcelloF

I know that and I don't care about how the leg looks, to be honest. This picture isn't in motion, so people can't see how it will look better in motion. In this screen, it does look oddly long, I can see why people would notice and mention it.

• Thumbs Up 2

So uh.... Wasn't Silver's Boss fight supposed to be VS Classic Sonic O:?!

(I'm excited though! I love the way this looks. =D)

I can't believe you guys. Basically, the way Sonic is animated (and has been animated since Unleashed at least) sees his limbs stretching and shrinking all the time. Heck, even the sprites in the old games were like this! It's an effect that makes characters look much betterin motion, but that you don't actually notice unless you're looking at a still frame.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

You may not know this, but some people just don't like stretch-and-squash animation style. It's personal preference.

Because usually the people who don't care for stretch and squash are people who analysis animation in cartoons, not video games?

As I said, not a big deal. Lay off my opinion.

The reason I'm saying anything at all is because Sonic's model and animations have hardly changed between Unleashed and Generations. It's not something people noticed before.

Edited by Legendary Emerald