Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

But the way Generations seems to be going, and the only way that makes sense since the classic games and the modern games are in the same continuity, classic Sonic and modern Sonic are the same guy, only a few years and dimensions off.

I'm so getting nuked.

Dem eyelids man. THE EYELIDS- I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION :U

Edited by Inferno

It would be funny if the twist was that these "time holes" are not actually time holes, but dimensional holes. That would explain how Classic and Modern Sonic are the same character, but at the same time different.

Either that or Classic Sonic painted his eyelids blue.

That's possible. I guess that would make Classic Sonic 12 and Modern Sonic 15. Pretty big growth spurt if you ask me.

Angus T. Jones 2008:

06_angus_t_jones.jpg

Angus T. Jones 2011:

x350.jpg

It's a big growth spurt, but a very possible one. XP

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 2

It would be funny if the twist was that these "time holes" are not actually time holes, but dimensional holes. That would explain how Classic and Modern Sonic are the same character, but at the same time different.
Uuugh, just the thought of that is revolting. It's nothing more than an unnecessary complication that really only serves to give Sega the opportunity to milk classic Sonic more.

Uuugh, just the thought of that is revolting. It's nothing more than an unnecessary complication that really only serves to give Sega the opportunity to milk classic Sonic more.

But it gets better! Modern Sonic meets up with Classic Sonic in the same dimension as Blaze. In another ironic twist, Modern Sonic finds classic-style Blaze in his world which explains why modern-style Blaze is in Classic Sonic's world. Suddenly the two Sonics and the two Blazes find out that Eggman Nega was behind the whole thing. He releases a monster from a dimensional portal to eat all of the other dimensions, so both Sonics go Super and both Blazes go Burning. During the final boss fight with the monster, Silver comes from the future to help fight the monster. Silver absorbs the life force of the two Sonics and the two Blazes and becomes Hyper Silver. As Hyper Silver, he defeats the monster which causes Maria to come back to life and see Shadow for the first time since her death. Shadow hugs Maria and Cream goes "Awwww, how sweet" as Cheese goes "Chao, chao!" Then Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic go back to 1997 to race at the World Grand Prix where Classic Sonic was last seen.

I hope Sega considers this as the ending.

You know, one thing that bugs me about modern's quills is that... they really don't look like adequate weapons outside of some Ukewa art. They curve down and are super long. The classic design's shorter quills just seem more useful for busting robots.

That being said, I remember a theory on Concept-Mobius that the classic games took place four years before the modern ones, which explains eight year old Amy. I think it's certainly possible that it'll work like that. However, this also means that Sonic 4 should probably start using Classic Sonic as an option, at least, since it's shortly after S3&K.

Edited by Mega

Since DiZ directed the discussion here before I could respond;

I already brought up Megaman in that topic; the difference between that series and this one is that the different versions of Megaman are different characters, with different friends and enemies, in different settings (due to being in different time periods, or even alternate universes). Classic Megaman is not Megaman X is not Megaman.EXE is not Megaman Volnutt, so there's nothing wrong with having these several threads running simultaneously; each of them has their own separate story to tell. But the way Generations seems to be going, and the only way that makes sense since the classic games and the modern games are in the same continuity, classic Sonic and modern Sonic are the same guy, only a few years off.

You know what I mean. SEGA makes younger "Classic" Sonic go through some simple 2D adventures, and makes older "modern" Sonic go through some slightly more plot-heavy 3D adventures. I know very well that those are different Megamen, but it's the same franchise.

And really, why is it a bad thing if Classic Sonic is back? Because it panders to the whiny fanboys or something? So far that's the only argument I've heard, and quite frankly, it smells like rotten eggs.

Edited by Indigo Rush

If Classic Sonic is a younger Sonic, and yet Sonic had his modern appearance in Sonic 4, then that must mean that all old games with Classic Sonic took place before Sonic 4... despite the fact that Sonic 4 is stated to take place directly after Sonic and Knuckles.

Well gentlemen, let the wanking begin.

Bah, just have Classic Sonic appear in some Paper Mario-esque 2D games for the handhelds and let the Nicochi's of the world drool.

I'll go for Modern for the shear fact that's he's been around much longer than Classic. But in reality, they're the same exact hedgehog we know and love. And yet people really want to perceive them both as being different or no definitive reason. That's pretty much the worst thing Sega could say in the story of Sonic Generations. What would also be bizarre is if Sega tries to make this in-depth, complicated storyline of how Classic Sonic became Modern Sonic. A good base storyline could be that Classic and Modern simple hale from two different dimensions, but then again, just the thought of Generations having a story at all is bizarre in itself.

But yeah...

Modern Sonic - He's pretty much the more definitive Sonic we and newer fans know today.

You know what I mean.
Apparently I didn't.

SEGA makes younger "Classic" Sonic go through some simple 2D adventures, and makes older "modern" Sonic go through some slightly more plot-heavy 3D adventures.
I don't like that, for reasons I explained before.

I know very well that those are different Megamen, but it's the same franchise.
And in my eyes the only reason it works is because they're different Megamen. Megaman is clearly divided into several subseries, each with their own characters, setting, and story to tell. Sonic isn't, and classic and modern are too close to pull it off.

And really, why is it a bad thing if Classic Sonic is back? Because it panders to the whiny fanboys or something? So far that's the only argument I've heard, and quite frankly, it smells like rotten eggs.
For this one game, it's not really a big deal. If they keep him around? Yeah. Classic Sonic doesn't provide any real benefit besides aesthetics, which people should've made their peace with some time in the last decade. Plus having two separate threads further muddles the already-muddled story. It's a cheap trick that only serves to put money in Sega's pocket, not to improve the series.

If Classic Sonic is a younger Sonic, and yet Sonic had his modern appearance in Sonic 4, then that must mean that all old games with Classic Sonic took place before Sonic 4... despite the fact that Sonic 4 is stated to take place directly after Sonic and Knuckles.
No big loss, there weren't any games between S&K and SA that needed to be canon. Chaotix was the closest, but they retconed that with Heroes.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even if it's cheap, it probably would make them money. Just tossing him in Episode 2 and doing a fixed release of Episode 1 with better physics and longer music would probably put people at ease.

Yeah, most people should have accepted it by now. I figure it won't be changing either, though I do wish they'd clip his quills and do something about his stiff browline that's almost always angry looking. That's just me, though. My mom gave some perspective when she saw me playing Colors. She said that the current look is really silly (quills and the side mouth in 3D were her problems), but it's a generational thing. Kids won't know any better or something. She's never played Sonic, so it's coming from an uninformed adult.

That being said, I actually prefer Robotnik's modern design by far, even if the old one has charm. The goggles and fancy clothes make him appear more dynamic. So, it's not just a matter of 'everything modern sucks'. I really don't get that attitude at all. :/

Edited by Mega

Does Classic Sonic's inclusion have to be story-related though? The classic Sonic games were never story heavy except maybe in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I guess you could count Sonic CD, but Sonic CD's place in the series "canon" is a little shaky. Does Sonic CD take place before or after Sonic 2? If after Sonic 2, where does the past version of Little Planet take place, before Sonic 1?

If the Sonic games between S&K and SA are not canon, would it hurt to make more games with Classic Sonic in them that are not canon? I know it would be purely for aesthetic sake, but games are a visual medium. They could always make non-canon 2D games with Classic Sonic in them. Canon is pretty much inconsequential to the classic games anyway. And since fiction usually has little to no concept of time, they could always squeeze as many games between S&K and SA as they want.

Bart Simpson remains 10 in spite of his 22 years of existence. Classic Sonic can remain 12 (if his age is retconned) in any of his future games with Sonic Adventure marking when he turned 15 and became Modern Sonic. Would that work?

Edited by Preston

For this one game, it's not really a big deal. If they keep him around? Yeah. Classic Sonic doesn't provide any real benefit besides aesthetics, which people should've made their peace with some time in the last decade. Plus having two separate threads further muddles the already-muddled story. It's a cheap trick that only serves to put money in Sega's pocket, not to improve the series.

If people are willing to buy a Sonic game simply because Classic Sonic is in it, I say SEGA should keep him around.

You can call it cheap or underhanded, but fact is, if there are people who are dumb enough just to hand over their cash because Classic Sonic is slapped on the box, then SEGA should take full advantage over it.

I mean based off of Generations, they engine they're using is pretty much good to go. They have the model, and all they need to do is keep recycling it and putting out games using the model and engine on handhelds with the odd console release.

A smart business decision

You can call it cheap or underhanded, but fact is, if there are people who are dumb enough just to hand over their cash because Classic Sonic is slapped on the box, then SEGA should take full advantage over it.

Like me! I'm stupid enough to buy and enjoy Sonic games simply because of Classic Sonic. That's why I genuinely enjoy Sonic R.

That and the music.

Edited by Preston
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Like me! I'm stupid enough to buy and enjoy Sonic games simply because of Classic Sonic. That's why I genuinely enjoy Sonic R.

Even Sonic Labyrinth? I like Sonic R for the music but that's about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't want C.Sonic to have his own series.

x350.jpg

Austin Powers?! :o

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 3

Even Sonic Labyrinth?

That wasn't a Sonic game.

I wouldn't want C.Sonic to have his own series.

Even if it was a part of the main series, only in Classic Sonic's time?

• Bad Quality Post 1

Okay, if that's not a Sonic game then what is it?

It's not just a Sonic game. It's a bad Sonic game. :P

• 3 months later...

...Am I the only one that finds it strange we are even talking about this in a civil manner?

If this same topic would have existed last month we would have been throwing swears, giving death threats and popping caps like mofos. :P

If this was at the Sega Forums I bet it would had been closed by now. :P

Well, both models are both pretty cool. Classic Sonic defines the classic era, talks with his expressions and actions, and is the combination of cute and cool. Modern Sonic's design looks more built for speed, and fits his personality, especially the part of a guy who's looking for adventure. They are both pretty cool. I kinda hope that is Sonic gets another redesign, it's a combination of the two.

I have no preference in terms of design. Both are more or less equal in expressiveness, character and attitude. The only way one can be considered superior to the other, is through personal preference. It really is that simple.

Gameplay wise. Modern. Without a doubt. You see classic is already excellent. The gameplay in the classics was so good, that it really left little room for improvement. Enemy placement problems possibly need improvement, but I can't see much else really.

Modern though, whilst still looking like it needs a lot of work, holds the most potential. This is simply because it is 3D. The extra dimension, brings a massive amount of possibility. It hasn't been fully tapped, yet, but when it is, I don't doubt that it will be breathtaking.

• Thumbs Up 2