Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

1302182697.png

With Classic Sonic making a comeback alongside our current modern Sonic, which one do you prefer? The edgy and cool and taller 'Green Eyes' Modern Sonic, or the shorter, chubbier, cartoony lighter Classic Sonic? Attitude play a part, as Modern Sonic is typically played out as being sweet-hearted deep-down with a love of freedom while classic is known to be more cocky and charmy? Characterization? With both of them colliding again, which design and direction of character do you like better?

Edited by Multi

Even though I grew up with mostly the old design with the old cartoons, I prefer the current one a lot.

It's not that I hate the Classic design, but it just doesn't seem that appealing to look at in 3D format.

But I might change my mind about that once more info on Generations is out. B)

Other than that, I just don't care about design that much.

Edited by DragonSoul
  • Thumbs Up 2

Modern all the way. I look at that picture and I can't understand why people would pick right over left.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 2

You know what's funny? I look at that and don't see such a massive difference in their head:body size proportion.

modern Sonic evokes a feeling "Trying to be cool and failing at it".

Which is exactly why I love it.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 1

For the same reason you prefer the modern design, it's what YOU like.
And I can't understand why they like it. It looks like something out of a bad commercial.

While I'm fine with both, I prefer Classic Sonic. It's a bit more timeless and modern Sonic evokes a feeling "Trying to be cool and failing at it".
Personally I think the modern design looks sleek and athletic, where the classic design has a more "I have eaten all of the hams" look.
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I love the current, Unleashed-era design. It's just so... dynamic and soulful.

But I still love good ol' classic Sonic, and I'm thrilled to see him in the teaser. ^^

• Thumbs Up 2

Ehhh... I like both designs but god damn, the third dimension doesn't do many favours for Mister Sir Classic Pants. Looks more like a guy in a suit, than the speedy pin cushion from my childhood. :c (That said, it is cool to see him again)

I'll have to go with the hip and happening modern Sonic.

I prefer the modern design. And while I like the old Japanese classic 2D artworks, the classic 3D model from that teaser doesn't appeal to me that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Classic, with Unleashed-modern right behind. However for somenreason Sega gave classic Sonic his western style ears and buttbrow, which makes it awkward. Why can't it stay the same as the old artwork the Japanese made? It would look better than this, although this is still adorable.

Also I have to side with Glenn. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

I love the modern design. I liked the old design back in times of Sonic 1-S3&K, but when I first saw Sonic adventure..I absolutely fell in love with that design! My favorites are Sa2 Sonic and SNG Sonic, but Colors Sonic is not that bad.

I think Sega are doing well making classic Sonic's return, but I hope it's just for one anniversary game. Modern Sonic looks much more cool and fresh IMO. Classic Sonic had his time, now it's modern era.

P.S. I absolutely LOVE green eyes!

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

God, I love Sonic the Hedgehog. Doesn't matter what design or model he has. He will always be Way Past Cool!

• Thumbs Up 4

So what's the difference between Sonic the hedgehog and Sonic the hedgehog?

The question for the ages...

I do love modern Sonic, really. But he's not as appealing to me, and to a general audience of everyone. Classic Sonic can appeal to all kinds, whereas modern Sonic is designed look cool to youngsters. He's my fave.

Also people, stop saying "It's still Sonic the Hedgehog at the end of the day" because that's totally besides the point. There's two very distinct designs.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like how much personality they gave Classic Sonic in the trailer in his animation, but his modern design fits Sonic more. It's sleek and athletic. It's not impossible to give the modern design personality in the animation, because they have done it before. With that said, it's great to see Classic Sonic back.

Edited by Ryusuke

I like the modern design better. Modern Sonic just looks cooler to me then the classic design. The classic design just doesn't look cool, plus he has a little bit of a belly on him.

Modern man, for the same reasons stated above. He's sleek and athletic, really giving off an aged and mature feel.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why be a fan of either? All I care is that the retronerds won't cry anymore, methinks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Why be a fan of either? All I care is that the retronerds won't cry anymore, methinks.

Cause I've grew up with the classic Sonic but I also love modern Sonic, too?

• Thumbs Up 1

You're a fan of at least one of them. Maybe neither one any more than the other, but you're still a fan.

I don't like one more than the other, because and I will say it again, at the end of the day its still Sonic, he still has that steadfast heart of gold, his sense of justice, his cocky attitude, and his speed, and most of all they both represent times when I'm truly happy playing games.

So no I don't think one is better than the other, because they're both awesome in their own way.

And I think its good Sega gave the retro purist what they wanted.

• Thumbs Up 2

Modern. BY FAR. Classic design can go die in a fire even though I was attracted to the series years before the modern design emerged and actually attached to the characters in their classic design. I just don't like classic design. He looks like he can't even plod along let alone exceed the speed of sound, the eyes are flat and soul-less and portray very little emotion outside of eye ridge movement (My god, he has more of a pronounced ass-face than modern design :blink:), the limbs are extremely thin and unlike modern design, don't look as if they can even hold his weight and in Blue Blood's sig image, his leg looks like it's coming out of his nipple area when he's running :huh:

Still, I'll say that classic design still has a strange appeal and I like him ;) He just can't stack up to modern Unleashed design to me.

• Thumbs Up 4