Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

Classic Sonic but only because he represents good games 1,2,cd,3 in his main series.

Unlike Modern Sonic with bad games like sa2,heroes,06,Unleashed in his main series.

I don't care for the spinoff games from both era's really.

But when it comes to looks Modern Sonic looks a million times better than his classic self.

• Thumbs Up 1

Modern. BY FAR. Classic design can go die in a fire even though I was attracted to the series years before the modern design emerged and actually attached to the characters in their classic design. I just don't like classic design. He looks like he can't even plod along let alone exceed the speed of sound, the eyes are flat and soul-less and portray very little emotion outside of eye ridge movement (My god, he has more of a pronounced ass-face than modern design blink.gif), the limbs are extremely thin and unlike modern design, don't look as if they can even hold his weight and in Blue Blood's sig image, his leg looks like it's coming out of his nipple area when he's running huh.gif

Still, I'll say that classic design still has a strange appeal and I like him wink.gif He just can't stack up to modern Unleashed design to me.

What. Was. I. Thinking?

Screw all this. After seeing that video that featured C Sonic's animations, I fell in love with C Sonic.

Now I'm not sure I like the lack of logic and blatant catering to warped interpretations that stem from his muteness but I've grown to like a lot more about him. I think that the cute chubbiness and big eyes are exemplified in endearing-ness by his mannerisms. I like M Sonic marginally more because of the reasons I've said before here but C Sonic is now a very close second, because I've grown to like him on his own distinct merits.

• Thumbs Up 1

When did Sonic pick up the hobby of breakdancing?

I think it was Sonic Adventure 2, but I don't remember.

I remember Tails could break in Sonic Adventure.

I'm starting to get all new love for Classic Sonic just for how utterly adorable he is, I mean gawd.

I think it was Sonic Adventure 2, but I don't remember.

I remember Tails could break in Sonic Adventure.

I think he started breakdancing either in the Advance or Rush games.

According to this, Sonic's breakdancing hobby can be traced all the way back to Sonic 1. I'm not sure when it became a staple to the series, but I assume it was around the Sonic Advance-Battle era.

I prefer modern Sonic. I grew up with the classic design(S3&K ftw)but well... there's a reason they redesigned him, and then kept him that way.

Classic Sonic but only because he represents good games 1,2,cd,3 in his main series.

Unlike Modern Sonic with bad games like sa2,heroes,06,Unleashed in his main series.

I don't care for the spinoff games from both era's really.

But when it comes to looks Modern Sonic looks a million times better than his classic self.

Why are you blaming Modern Sonic for games that are in your opinion, bad?

I'm pretty sure that's not very fair.

But anyways, I can't say which I like the most honestly, but I'm a bit biased with that considering I was introduced to Sonic at a point in time where it seemed like Classic Sonic didn't exist to me. Until I got older. So I'm gonna have to say Modern Sonic, because I have a closer connection with that design.

there's a reason they redesigned him

Maybe, but not a good enough reason. I understand that they were trying to make him look more "modern", but i think that the traditional, cartoony "funny animal" look of classic Sonic is one that will never go out of style, at least not here in the west, since it's so firmly etched in the public conscious by characters such as Mickey Mouse (who has managed to remain marketable for decades with a look that has changed very little since 1940). So i cant imagine they actually gained much by redesigning him.

And of course, what was a "modern" look in 1998 wont be modern forever. So if Sega wants Sonic to look top modern at all times, they are eventually going to have to give him a major redesign again...

No, i think this is one of those times when they should have went with the old tried and true "if it aint broke, dont fix it" point of view and allowed Sonic to keep his original look with perhapes just a few minor tweaks over the years. It is often the characters who looks the same for generations that becomes true icons.

Classic, mainly because that's what I grew up with. I don't even consider him 'classic' I consider him just 'Sonic'. Heh.

Sonic's classic design is etched into the public's memory because that was the design in use during the absolute height of the character's popularity, not necessarily because it has anymore staying power than the Unleashed design. The Unleashed design is, by all accounts, so similar to the classic one that the implication that it completely lacks timelessness because of the differences is annoying at best and wrong at worst. I mean, we're not talking about generic space marines here; give a person who's only seen classic Sonic an Unleashed render and they're not going to be confused and repulsed.

Sonic is Sonic to me. Not fussed at all by his design. If I had to choose a favourite I'd have to say Modern. I actually prefer the sleeker design looks more awesome and the longer quills give of an aura of menace to me. They just look a hell of alot sharper.

Maybe, but not a good enough reason. I understand that they were trying to make him look more "modern", but i think that the traditional, cartoony "funny animal" look of classic Sonic is one that will never go out of style, at least not here in the west, since it's so firmly etched in the public conscious by characters such as Mickey Mouse (who has managed to remain marketable for decades with a look that has changed very little since 1940). So i cant imagine they actually gained much by redesigning him.

And of course, what was a "modern" look in 1998 wont be modern forever. So if Sega wants Sonic to look top modern at all times, they are eventually going to have to give him a major redesign again...

No, i think this is one of those times when they should have went with the old tried and true "if it aint broke, dont fix it" point of view and allowed Sonic to keep his original look with perhapes just a few minor tweaks over the years. It is often the characters who looks the same for generations that becomes true icons.

Character Model - Classic Sonic. He's just so adorable. Plus he looks more like an actual hedgehog.

Character Personality - Classic Sonic. He's brave, courageous, and with an attitude. He wants to help his friends and he's determined to do it. Modern Sonic on the other hand feels like a bit of a joke. He's trying too hard to be cool, and at times it's not even on purpose writing. It's purely unwanted. Classic feels like a cool guy who is willing to joke around and hang out, but he's leaned back, and just cool like that.

Gameplay - To be completely honest, although I do love all 3 eras of Sonic gameplay, my favorite has to be modern. Why? Well I just see so much potential for this. If you want my whole speech about this check out my speed VS platforming thread, but I think that this whole new speed makes Sonic unique and different. Is it perfect? No. But are the classics? No. And you're an arrogant and unwilling of opinions based fool if you say that they ARE perfect. Seeing Classic Sonic in Generations will be nice, but it's just a celebration of Sonic's birthday. Nothing more, nothing less. Modern Sonic on the other hand is going to be around for a while. So I would like to see them take that gameplay even farther!

I love both though.

Edited by Gaming Misfit
  • Thumbs Up 1

Character Model - Classic Sonic. He's just so adorable. Plus he looks more like an actual hedgehog.
Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

No he don't. Classic Sonic might have the same level of cuteness like an hedgehog but neither he and Modern Sonic don't look anything like an actual real hedgehog.

No he don't. Classic Sonic might have the same level of cuteness like an hedgehog but neither he and Modern Sonic don't look anything like an actual real hedgehog.

As Blue Blood said, he's closer in size. M. Sonic is freakishly tall and like a man animal.

As Blue Blood said, he's closer in size. M. Sonic is freakishly tall and like a man animal.

Originally before Generations, I thought that C. and M.Sonic both have the same size. M.Sonic is as tall as Mario but he's pretty short compare to the humans in the games. C.Sonic must be freaking tiny.

I like how cute classic Sonic is, but damn, that modern Sonic is too appealing so I guess I like modern Sonic more wub.gif