Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

Does this mean that if I own say... Resistance Retribution, I enter my UMD's details and can download it to Vita for free... or does it mean that I need to pay a fee to re-download it?

If it's the free option... it's ok I guess, can't say I like having to download stuff to memory sticks and what-have-you, but it's better than nothing.

If it's the fee option.... what? Thats quite crappy on many levels.

Hell, it'd be easier to just play the game on your old PSP

That's what I plan on doing. Even after the Vita I still plan on holding onto my Psp blue 2000. Seeing how I live in the U.S that's probably the only way I'm going to get my Monster Hunter fix XD

Here Is Sony’s UMD Solution for PS Vita Owners

http://kotaku.com/58...-ps-vita-owners

I can see many people not liking this.

They should've gotten rid of the backsides touch pad and replace it with a UMD slot dry.png

That's what I plan on doing. Even after the Vita I still plan on holding onto my Psp blue 2000. Seeing how I live in the U.S that's probably the only way I'm going to get my Monster Hunter fix XD

I'd actually suggest putting those MH games on the Vita seeing how they'll use both analogs.

They should've gotten rid of the backsides touch pad and replace it with a UMD slot dry.png

I'd actually suggest putting those MH games on the Vita seeing how they'll use both analogs.

oddly enough the lack of a second analog doesn't really bother me. Yea, it was a pain at first, but I've grown use to it over the years.

You need to pay money to play PSP games you already own?

Guess it's a good thing I never had to pay for mine, then. :v

Edited by Dissident

I don't own a PSP, so this doesn't matter to me.

Its honestly no different to the various Nintendo handhelds outright removing support for older cartridge formats. I want to play my Gameboy Colour games on my DS, but I can't. Oh well. At least you can get them at a reduced price right?

"You followed the footprints, they belonged to a bear... go back to the house and start again."

Is this really that big a deal anyway?

When the Vita was first announced, a lot of us were more or less resigned to the fact it probably wouldn't play UMV's, mainly because other than the PSP, theres nothing else out there (Ugh someone is now going to quote this and show me something that does use them) that uses them, so the format itself isn't exactly a popular/profitable thing to be investing in.

And if you have UMV's then you've got a PSP (one of the older models), the moment Vita comes out the trade in prices for the older models is going to collapse. Sure there might be some trade in offers at a few places, but whats the max you're going to get off a vita with an older PSP trade in? £40 at most?

Edited by Hogfather

I don't own a PSP, so this doesn't matter to me.

Its honestly no different to the various Nintendo handhelds outright removing support for older cartridge formats. I want to play my Gameboy Colour games on my DS, but I can't. Oh well. At least you can get them at a reduced price right?a

It is different, because by the Nintendo handhelds you always had backwards compatibility to the direct predecessor.

For free.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is different, because by the Nintendo handhelds you always had backwards compatibility to the direct predecessor.

For free.

• Thumbs Up 5

Nintendo also release handhelds at a much more regular interval than Sony. Not to mention Nintendo's Cartridge readers are completely dirt cheap to produce. UMD readers are large, clunky, expensive and drain a fuck-load of battery. They dropped a shitty format for a better one. Simple. I have to keep my GBA to play my old Gameboy games, so I guess everyone else has to keep their PSP's.

And once again, the prices you see there are inflated for the Japanese economy. Everything is much more expensive there. The Vita itself costs $325 in Japan, whilst costing only $249 in the states, 250EURO and £239. I find it irritating when people take the directly converted Japanese prices as being the same in the US. What is a $100 in Japan is only $70 in the States.

Everybody needs to like your post, EVERYBODY. For the reasons I've bolded out, or rather because it just plain makes sense.

I will be keeping my PSP-3000, anyone else wanna join the same party.

The UK 3G carrier has been announced... the exclusive contract goes to... Vodafone.

I'm a tad surprised it wasn't BT in all honesty, considering their dominance.

I for one won't be using the 3G version at all if I get a Vita... So being Vodafone, Is this good?

We've got some news on one of the UK 3G partners.

Vodafone is Sony's "preferred partner" for 3G Vita in UK

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 21 November, 2011

UPDATE: 3G connectivity is not locked to Vodafone.

UPDATE: 3G connectivity is not locked to Vodafone. Vodafone is the only network that's been fully quality-assured by PlayStation, however.

ORIGINAL STORY: Vodafone is the "preferred provider" of 3G connectivity for PlayStation Vita in the UK, Sony has announced.

This deal extends to Ireland, Italy, Germany, Span, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand and The Netherlands. In France the preferred partner is SFR, as Vodafone is known there.

The Vita 3G/WI-Fi model comes with a Vodafone SIM card so you can immediately use social gaming features when out and about. These include "near", an application that lets you discover other Vita users who are in your surrounding area and gift virtual items, such as costumes and treasures, to them at the locations they have visited.

3G also enables Party, a pre-installed app that enables communication features during online gaming or web browsing. You can update your gaming status via the Facebook, Twitter and FourSquare apps.

You can also buy the PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi model direct from Vodafone online and in shops. If you connect with Vodafone you get a PlayStation Network voucher to download WipEout 2048 from the PlayStation Store.

"Data plans will be flexible meeting the needs of all users," Sony said. Additional details about Vodafone data plans and pricing will be announced by Vodafone at a later date.

"With social gaming and connectivity at the heart of PlayStation Vita it is important that we partner with a market leading network provider, to ensure users have a high quality 3G experience." Said Sony Computer Entertainment boss Jim Ryan.

"Partnering with Vodafone will enable PS Vita users in the selected countries to always be connected with their PlayStation life, friends and games, wherever they are."

"We want our customers to have the best choice of devices and PlayStation Vita is a great addition to our range," Patrick Chomet, Vodafone's Group Terminals Director, added.

"We know from our application downloads that games are hugely popular with our customers, so we're delighted to be SCEE's preferred connectivity partner for 3G Vita devices sold across Europe and other selected regional markets. Using the device over Vodafone's high-performance network with extensive 3G reach and market leading download speeds brings a reliable 'anywhere anytime' dimension to gaming."

http://www.eurogamer...r-3g-vita-in-uk

EDIT: Ninja'd lol!

Oh... but I didn't realise it wasn't a 'locked' service. Thats certainly interesting, so if you want you can use another network eh? That certainly sounds a little better than it being locked.

Here's the first party European launch line-up.

Sony's PlayStation Vita EU launch line-up

By Fred Dutton Published 22 November, 2011

Uncharted, new MotorStorm, WipEout headline.

UPDATE According to Sony's PlayStation Blog, Super Stardust Delta and Gravity Rush will also be available from launch.

ORIGINAL STORY: Sony has announced its first party PlayStation Vita launch line-up for Europe.

Among the SCEE-published titles on shelves from 22nd February are Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048, ModNation Racers: Road Trip and a previously unannounced MotorStorm title.

Here's the full list:

• Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • WipEout 2048
  • Reality Fighters
  • Little Deviants
  • ModNation Racers: Road Trip
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Escape Plan
  • Top Darts
  • Hustle Kings
  • Unit 13
  • MotorStorm RC

Sony exec Michael Denny reckons it's "one of the best launch line ups of any games console, ever launched."

Six augmented reality cards that showcase the handheld's WAAR (Wide Angle Augmented Reality) features will also be available at launch, to be used with a number of free games available from PlayStation Network.

Unlike the 3DS's single-card AR, the Vita can read up to six cards at once over a much larger play area. It also supports markerless AR that does away with the cards altogether.

Vita also offers Facebook, Skype, Foursquare, Flickr and Twitter applications, as well as Sony's own new geo-based social plaything Near.

"We're counting down the days to the launch of PS Vita. This launch is something we are all so excited about at PlayStation as that's when we can see PS Vita where it was made to be - in the hands of gamers," commented Denny.

A full list of third party Vita launch titles is yet to be announced. However, Namco Bandai has already revealed that it will have Touch My Katamari, Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen and console launch perennial Ridge Racer ready for 22nd February.

Codemasters' portable version of F1 2011 and EA's FIFA Football are also expected to appear close to launch.

Sony offered up the following list of third party titles currently in development for the Vita:

• Army Corps of Hell, Square Enix
    • Asphalt: Injection, Ubisoft
    • Disgaea 3 Return, NIS America
    • Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, Ubisoft
    • Dynasty Warriors Next, Tecmo Koei
    • EA Sports FIFA Football, EA
    • F1 2011, Codemasters
    • Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7, WB Games
    • Lumines Electronic Symphony, Ubisoft
    • Michael Jackson: The Experience HD, Ubisoft
    • Ninja Gaiden (working title), Tecmo Koei
    • OddWorld: Strangers Wrath, OddWorld Inhabitants
    • Puddle, Neko Entertainment
    • Pure Chess, RebelPlay
    • Putty Squad Vita, System 3
    • Rayman Origins, Ubisoft
    • Ridge Racer, Bandai Namco
    • Shinobido 2, Bandai Namco
    • Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Konami
    • Stardrone Extreme, BeatShapers
    • Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz, SEGA
    • Supremacy MMA, 505 Games
    • Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Drinkbox Studios
    • The Treasures of Montezuma Blitz, Alawar Entertainment
    • Touch My Katamari, Bandai Namco
    • Troopies, Bloober Team
    • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, Capcom
    • Urban Trials, Tate Multimedia
    • Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition, SEGA
    • Orc Attack, Casual Brothers
    • Ben 10 Galactic Racing, Bandai Entertainment
    • Dragon's Racing, Ignition Entertainment
    • Robot Rescue Revolution, Teyon
    • Mortal Kombat, WB Games
    • Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft
    • Bioshock, Take Two
    • Street Fighter X Tekken, Capcom
    • Call of Duty, Activision Blizzard

http://www.eurogamer...-launch-line-up

Why, only $20-30 across the board more than the equivalent MicroSDHC card.

VALUE!

Edited by Tornado

Urgh. Now I'm not going to get a Vita until there are games that I'm gonna love comes out. No LBP at launch disappointed me, then this. Hell naw I'm going to pay $30 for a memory card. Where are we, 1995?

ModNation Racers isn't enough for me at this point. Sorry Sony, as much as I love you I won't get your Vita at launch.

At the same time I'm now beginning to worry how Sony's gonna do well with Vita. It looked like a dream come true at first, now when we get closer to launch there are some disappointments and this memory card one for me personally killed it for me.

Edited by Crystaline Starlight

So we've got proprietary memory cards that are overpriced as shit, games that can't be played without them, no way of internal storage or at the very least an easy 256 mb leeway for merely save states, a prominent online distribution model that is going to require a ton of money invested into that first part, payed for backward compatibility and a slightly discounted bundle for the cheapest memory card available, odds being it will only last you a few months or weeks when buying online games, by promising yourself that you're buying this thing day -7.

I knew the base price was too hard to believe. Shine on you crazy diamond, Sony.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have the agree, as appealing as the Vita is to me, the prices for those memory cards is a bit steep. Sony could have easily used the memory sticks or even M2's. Both are extremely cheap and with a device that claims to be multimedia, a 8gb is at least required in my opinion. Getting decent memory for the Vita when I pick mine up is going to be back breaking. Also, since the Vita is backwards compatible making memory sticks as a memory source only makes sense.

Also, booo.... so we definitely can't save at least our game saves to the card they come on?