Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

Sony took one step forward with the use of carts instead of UMDs and took WAY too many steps back to make me feel comfortable to buy one.

Honestly with those prices the Vita isn't $249, it's $294 (because 4gb can be used up pretty fast anyway) for the regular and $345 for the 3g version. Then putting a game and any accessories and tax on top of that you might be paying up to $400 altogether for the thing.

Well Sony, you dun goofed.

I'm not going to be buying very much of anything in the near future so it doesn't affect me much. However it will piss many people right the fuck off. £15 for 4GB? Fuck no.

Yeah, they may be losing money on the system itself, but I sure as hell know where they will be making their money.

EDIT:

The accessories aren't too outlandishly priced, but the fucking memory holy shit. Gamestop better have made an error on that shit, because £70 for 32GB is way too fucking much, considering I can get 32GB SD cards from Amazon for less than half that.

Edited by Scar

But but but but but but but GUYS. Those prices are totally fine. You just have to work a bit longer for them.

• Thumbs Up 4

Honestly with those prices the Vita isn't $249, it's $294 (because 4gb can be used up pretty fast anyway) for the regular and $345 for the 3g version. Then putting a game and any accessories and tax on top of that you might be paying up to $400 altogether for the thing.

Hmm wonder if I should wait for a PS vita redesign, oh well going to atleast try it out before I buy, plus lol so much for saying but smartphones moar expensive... not so much anymore(no but seriously). Either way it's really the same thing with most console(especially 360) 50 bucks for one year of online content (that should be free or maybe 20 bucks and lower)... Oh well look forward the day when they create official Bluetooth controllers for smartphones. But as for right now i'm still going towards i guns 2 buy dat, yez.

Why exactly is everybody freaking out over ONE retailers RRP?

Soon as competitors start listing prices they'll go down they always do, especially when the supermarkets begin listing them, Walmart, Tescos, Asda, you name it, the moment they get them in stock the prices will plummit, they always have and they always do. So why exactly are people freaking out again?

I really bloody hope that these stupid asking prices (really, $119 for 32GB!?!) are either false, or are taken back and dropped into the dirt.

Who am I kidding. If these prices are real, then it won't really make much of a difference. A lot of people will eat that shit up just as much as they ate up Microsofts bullshit proprietary HDD's back in the day. In order for the price to drop at all, there is going to need to be a massive number of emails flooding through Sony's doors telling them to drop it, which in my experience is never going to happen.

Edited by Scar

Why exactly is everybody freaking out over ONE retailers RRP?

Soon as competitors start listing prices they'll go down they always do, especially when the supermarkets begin listing them, Walmart, Tescos, Asda, you name it, the moment they get them in stock the prices will plummit, they always have and they always do. So why exactly are people freaking out again?

I wouldn't really say people are freaking out but more concerned if anything. Memory sticks, SD cards, etc. etc. were pretty expensive when they first came out and dropped in price over a number of years. Given, a price drop is imminent with these vita cards but with Sony already having M2 and Memory stick, as a consumer, I would rather have them use these formats since they are already as widespread and significantly cheaper. Yea, Sony is selling the Vita at a loss but I rather them make up the losses in software, not so much hardware, especially hardware that is necessary for the most part for the systems operation.

I mean, when I first got my psp around 2007, despite it being out for 2-3 years already the memory sticks were still pretty expensive.

Edited by LunarEdge

Soon as competitors start listing prices they'll go down they always do, especially when the supermarkets begin listing them, Walmart, Tescos, Asda, you name it, the moment they get them in stock the prices will plummit, they always have and they always do.

No, not really.

It took PS2 an entire year on the market to drop the price of their memory cards from £39.99 which was already hideously overpriced for it's size. Back when PSP's were new and Pro Duos as well, they would cost as much as £100. To this date, Sony's specially manufactured 32 gig Memory Stick Pro Duos still go for £139, for what is essentially a completely obsolete form of storage media that wasn't even proprietary. Other manufacturers sell that same model, for at least £40 cheaper.

And lest we forget, this is the console that is pretty much going to have to live on these cards. The console is still pushing online marketplace as one of it's biggest means of purchase, and a 4GB card would only fit two games at most if you're incredibly lucky. Either way you spin it, those cards will still rape your wallet, which is kind of expected since these being proprietary ones implies this will be one of the main ways Sony will regain profit on these things.

I'm not buying into this "it's going to be cheaper guise" shit anymore from Sony's side and I'm tired of undermining cynicism about this thing. I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh yeah, RRP isn't set by stores. It's set by publishers and manufacturers. It's not going to be much different.

• Thumbs Up 3

Fully expected them to fuck up accessory prices, given how well it worked for Microsoft's shitty $100 20Gb HDDs.

I wonder if this'll go the way of the 3DS, 'cuz I could sure use 10 free PSP & PS1 ambassador games if I end up buying early.

Fully expected them to fuck up accessory prices, given how well it worked for Microsoft's shitty $100 20Gb HDDs.

I wonder if this'll go the way of the 3DS, 'cuz I could sure use 10 free PSP & PS1 ambassador games if I end up buying early.

I think not buying a company's product will send a stronger message. Problem is, I really want to play a lot of PSP games.

Problem is that these memory cards are required, while technically a 360 HDD wasn't (and the bundles with drives included were plentiful). This is worse.

It was either an overpriced HDD or an overpriced memory card and some games require a HDD . You have to spend extra money on a storage solution (be it separate or bundled) anyways so, yeah, this is the same.

Edited by Dobkeratops

Problem is that these memory cards are required, while technically a 360 HDD wasn't (and the bundles with drives included were plentiful). This is worse.

Not many people I knew owned an 360 Arcade, and those that did quickly found themselves needing an HDD. The Arcades internal memory was barely enough for a few game-saves (I believe it was 256MB), so whilst it wasn't technically needed, it really was if you used your 360 more than occasionally. In fact, the original "Core" version of the 360 had no internal memory at all :/.

Which is frankly no better than the Vita, which also has some pretty pathetic internal memory and requires the over-priced memory units if you use it more than occasionally.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think he means the news from a few months back that some games aren't even playable without a memory card.

360 could play games without them, you just wouldn't be able to save.

It was either an overpriced HDD or an overpriced memory card and some games require a HDD . You have to spend extra money on a storage solution (be it separate or bundled) anyways so, yeah, this is the same.

Though Vita games come on cartridges, so there is no reason that internal memory should be required in the first place.

I think he means the news from a few months back that some games aren't even playable without a memory card.

360 could play games without them, you just wouldn't be able to save.

Really?

I really doubt that the game simply would be unplayable. I thought it was just like PS2 days where no memory card mean no save.

Honestly, it wasn't cool back in those days and it isn't cool now so....

• Thumbs Up 1

Not many people I knew owned an 360 Arcade, and those that did quickly found themselves needing an HDD. The Arcades internal memory was barely enough for a few game-saves (I believe it was 256MB), so whilst it wasn't technically needed, it really was if you used your 360 more than occasionally. In fact, the original "Core" version of the 360 had no internal memory at all :/.

Which is frankly no better than the Vita, which also has some pretty pathetic internal memory and requires the over-priced memory units if you use it more than occasionally.

How can a cartridge not even have it's own memory inside it? All GB, GBC, GBA, DS, and 3DS carts save on there.

Edited by Silencer226

Leave it to Sony, they'll probably say something along the lines of "This is new advanced cartridge technology, besides memory in cartridges is old news; then sony fanboys will be all "yep, yep, makes sense to me, here's my life savings".

I'm a Sony fangirl and I don't think that makes any sense, so don't think all Sony fanboys are like that.

If Sony did say that then I believe it's bull. But I'm not getting it at launch anyway because of no LBP so hopefully by the time LBP comes out, those memory cards will cut down in price.