Awoo.

Say what you will but sonic 06

Meta77

I absolutely love Sonic 06, I own the PS3 version and the XBOX LIVE Games on demand version, the only one I ever sold was the 360 disc whenever I sold my first Xbox 360 back in 2009. The only real problem I have with the game is that it has a few glitches that even I can't overlook, particularly the one where Knuckles and Rouge are stuck to walls, and the one that only seems to happen to Shadow where he falls through the foor.

One big thing I don't get though is why people always criticize Mephiles as being a recolor whenever it is clearly shown in the game that he had to copy Shadows form.

One big thing I don't get though is why people always criticize Mephiles as being a recolor whenever it is clearly shown in the game that he had to copy Shadows form.
You can write a hundred page essay explaining how and why a character is/came to be a recolor, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a recolor. And remember that this is a work of fiction, and the character's introduction. Him being revived through Shadow's shadow and becoming a Shadow-copy isn't a foregone conclusion, a natural consequence of existing rules; they could've written him to be literally anything, but they specifically chose to make him a Shadow recolor. And there's also the problem of having him become a copy of a copy; had it been almost any other character in the series, it would have been merely cliche, but they chose to make a copy of an "evil twin", a character already accused of being a recolor. I'd call it a parody if it weren't obvious they were deadly serious.
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Being a recolor is the least of my criticisms of Mephiles. My main issue with him is that the entire plot could have been much simpler without his overly complicated plan. It was the bad writing I hated. I actually like his character design.

The problems with Sonic 2006 are rooted into almost all of its core parts:

Gamplay: This isn't factoring in glitches. You get a slowed down Sonic, who is actually slower than OMEGA, Shadow with VEHICLES AND WEAPONS, a very slow Silver who's core gameplay doesn't even resemble that of a Sonic game, Tails is super slow, reduced to a ring dummy bomb dummy, Knuckles' glide, punching and wall climbing are nerfed (and is also slow) Amy is absolutely terrible, Omega's hover breaks the game, Rouge has the problems of Knuckles and Tails combined, and Blaze is actually the only decent character, and even then she's still slow, and her homing attack is confusing as all get out. Then Sonic's snowboarding sections are the worst boarding mechanics I've ever witnessed.

Story: The premise is beyond laughable. It's far too dark and doom-laden to fit into a Sonic game. Beyond that, Elise is bland and a Mary-Su, Iblis is the most generic fire-themed villain on the face of gaming, Mephiles is the most generic recolor on the face of gaming (second only to Luigi from the original Mario Bros), King Soleanna has absolutely no characterization, the way the plot unfolds is ridiculously embarrassing and convoluted, Shadow actually has more significance than Sonic until the tail end of the plot (Silver and Elise too, for that matter) and it just hurts. It really hurts. There are more plot-holes than I can count.

Cutscenes: Save the CGI, the entirety of the cutscenes are crap. They go bare-bones to serve their purpose of telling us what is going on, and even then they fall short. We get some uncanny valley with the human characters (which should SERIOUSLY have been more cartoony for it to work) and the Sonic character models were hideously lanky and unappealing. Seeing everyone's mouth move is... unsettling.

Technical Details: Glitches, glitches and more glitches. The game is incomplete. It doesn't work properly. It's the poster child of a rush job.

Sonic 2006 is the blueprint on how to run a franchise into the ground. Just be thankful that the fanbase is too loyal to Sonic to give up on him. Any other disaster like this could be fatal to the series. (except the music, seriously, it's the only thing, and even then not all the tracks are great)

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4

Finally someone who understands. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who does not hate this game for a change (I liked Sonic 2006 as well).

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I say we all do the world a favor and just forget this game about forever.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well we all know that Sonic 06 was simply an unfinished product, but how would you guys view the game and the entire franchise today if the game was finished? Meaning if the game had the originally planned to be unlockable Metal Sonic skin, the rainbow gem that would have allowed a playable in-level Super Sonic, music from classic Sonic games, the speed chip for Silver, extra lives, and other things to buy from the Soleana city shop, additional missions for Sonic, Shadow, Silver and the amigo characters, and the Super Hard Mode feature. Would you guys have at least liked to see some of the scratched features of 06 in future Sonic games?

And for some of the stuff (the story, for example), them finishing it wouldn't have made it any better.

It probably would've still been overly complicated and ridiculous. But I wouldn't be suprised if they hadn't finished it or finalised the script when they were told that they had to get it in before Christmas. I mean I'm sure

Sonic's death scene was a least meant to be in CG.

But overall, yes, it is a terrible game. For non Sonic fans, it must be horrific. I mean the only reason I can like it even slightly is because it is Sonic.

Sonic's death scene was a least meant to be in CG.\

Now, even though I don't have a 360/PS3, I've seen this game's cutscenes, and I'd like to add to that: Silver's final cutscene is incomplete. It's really obvious that they were using the in-game models of Silver and Blaze as stand-ins because apparently they never got around to animating their CG models. Either that, or for some reason they actually thought the in-game models are good enough that no one would notice. Also, in Sonic's final cutscene, the waves in the ocean looks like a choppy .gif animation, another sign of unfinished CGI. Shadow's final cutscene is the only one that appears to be actually a finished CG cutscene.

I've never tried this game, but is it really super glitchy to the point where it's unplayable? Someone should explain to me how glitchy it is to prevent me from buying it when I get a PS3. If it's SA1 glitchy, then I'm fine with it.

I've never tried this game, but is it really super glitchy to the point where it's unplayable? Someone should explain to me how glitchy it is to prevent me from buying it when I get a PS3. If it's SA1 glitchy, then I'm fine with it.

I think I'll just let this video speak for itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I'll just let this video speak for itself.

If you notice the comments, they still try to defend the game.

It's not unplayable, but it's still glitched and unfinished as all fuck.

The fact that the instruction booklet mentions things that didn't even make it into the final build of the game really says something.

They didn't even care enough to make sure the voice actors said the correct lines. "Book of Darkness," anyone? There's also a part where an actor stumbles over a line and repeats himself.

Sonic 06........Well, aside from the music and (for the time) the graphics, that game was a steaming pile of dog shit. Yep, I said it. Not gonna change my mind.

I mean honestly, I need two hands to count the negative points of that game: Broken engine, terrible characters, Boring town missions, awful controls, Glitches all around, lame Amigo characters, Awful DLC (Castle Crashers had better DLC than this) and a story that makes even the worst fanfiction writer cringe.

that game was a steaming pile of dog shit. Yep, I said it.

Ooooh....controversial!

Okay, sorry 'bout the sarcasm. :P But really, saying that Sonic 06 is shit is probably about as radical as saying that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is a good game. ;)

I rented it last summer and decided to do an LP of my first playthrough. I don't think my commentary is very good at all, but this part is the one that always comes to mind for me when I want to remember how much I hate this game.

Fun story:

I was playing this level at 11:00 PM, and was determined to beat Crisis City before going to bed. After sitting there for hours on end, I got yelled at for staying up too late, and I think my mom assumed I was doing something I wouldn't want her to see. All for this game's sake. I wasn't happy.

Also, End of The World is hell unless you know exactly what to do.

My only defense for 2K6 is that it was slightly less terrible than Shadow the Hedgehog. That isn't saying much, of course, as Shadow the Hedgehog is- to me- the absolute worst game in the entire series, and one of the worst games of the decade, period.

But 2K6 is still a fine example of everything wrong with Sonic. Its gameplay is "unfinished" to put it charitably, its story ranges from disinteresting to self-contradictory, and its new characters Silver, Mephiles, and Elise were all incredibly dull in my opinion. I do not understand the love Mephiles gets- He's essentially Black Doom 2.0, except he looks like Shadow, making his character design a derivative of a derivative. It's like a parody of Sonic Team's affinity for stupid recolors, except he's a real character.

EDIT: Just realized Diogenes said pretty much the same thing about Mephiles. Whoops.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

My only defense for 2K6 is that it was slightly less terrible than Shadow the Hedgehog. That isn't saying much, of course, as Shadow the Hedgehog is- to me- the absolute worst game in the entire series, and one of the worst games of the decade, period.

But 2K6 is still a fine example of everything wrong with Sonic. Its gameplay is "unfinished" to put it charitably, its story ranges from disinteresting to self-contradictory, and its new characters Silver, Mephiles, and Elise were all incredibly dull in my opinion. I do not understand the love Mephiles gets- He's essentially Black Doom 2.0, except he looks like Shadow, making his character design a derivative of a derivative. It's like a parody of Sonic Team's affinity for stupid recolors, except he's a real character.

EDIT: Just realized Diogenes said pretty much the same thing about Mephiles. Whoops.

Yes elise was pretty annoying. but the opening was just epic when i first played the game. I played it 2 secs ago.....and i still love the opening.

Edited by DragonSoul

Alot of concepts from Secret Rings and Unleashed would have been used in this game if they had time to finish it and SEGA woudn't split the development team in half mid-way during development. Only 2 areas in this game seem fleshed out and stood out from the rest, and that's Kingdom Valley and Crysis city.All the other areas seem empty and generic in compariosion. My guess is that originally the game would have alot more Cultural/Arabian/Medieval-Inspired levels mixed togheter , when the orginal concept was planned out.

Colours is probably the first 3d game in the series, that didn't have any concept planned for 06.

Edited by ChikaBoing

They didn't even care enough to make sure the voice actors said the correct lines. "Book of Darkness," anyone? There's also a part where an actor stumbles over a line and repeats himself.

Oh yeah I heard about this, what part is it again?

People can make it look a thousand times worse by making videos, but it isn't.

Adventure, even original Japanese Adventure, generally didn't have problems of the same level as STH '06.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Oh yeah I heard about this, what part is it again?

After Rouge returns from the future and gets a call from GUN asking if the "Book" of Darkness has been retrieved.