Awoo.

Say what you will but sonic 06

Meta77

...Get out of my head, I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this thread. Shit is still Shit no matter how you look at it.

Honestly the fucking E3 build is better than the final product, look at the E3 trailer and notice how Sonic has a landing animation when jumping from wall to wall, in the final game, he doesn't, how the fuck does that even happen? The only redeeming quality in 06 is its music. I understand people have fun with the game, but there are problems that just can't be overlooked, and I don't know how people are willing to say the game is good depsite its flaws.

I had Fun with ShTH, doesn't mean its a good game.

true the game was not great but still it was a decent game. Some fans are so old school they wont take thier eyes out of 1992. Of all sonic games my fav was sonic adventure 2. Then after it excluding the spinoff games next gen wise id say sonic 06,then adventure one,heroes,shadow and in that order.

• Bad Quality Post 6

Imagine if sonic 06 was actually a good game... sonic and the whole cast would have still looked like that.

While I enjoyed the game to an extent, i'm happy that it failed so horribly.

I used to love Sonic 06, but that was when i couldn't tell between good and bad games. Now that I'm older, I realize that this game is basically broken garbage. :(

A rich storyline that cleverly knits all the various threads together into a singular, satisfying storyline (with, okay, a monster-of-the-week... but at least he was an effective one, and you can't say Mephilis was dull).
Edited by AXB

is a load of shit that has no redeeming qualities, with an overall terrible soundtrack to add insult to injury.

How many "Sonic 2006 defense" topics do you guys gotta make?

Sega themselves seem to agree, considering they're completely ignoring the plot of the game. I'm not even talking about the timeline reboot at the end, either; seems like they've literally thrown it out of the continuity since subsequent games still use Blaze's Rush backstory and such.

true the game was not great but still it was a decent game.

No. It was absolutely terrible. And in so many objective and inarguable ways (most notably being because it was obviously released at least half a year before it should have been) that by the time you get to things that are open to interpretation, the game is already beyond saving. STH '06 isn't a Sonic Heroes-style "decent, but arguable as to how decent it is" game. It isn't even a ShtH-style "pretty poor, but some people can easily put up with it" game. It is just flat-out bad. That isn't to say that it can't be fun despite that (or even that it can't be more enjoyable than other, "better" Sonic games), but you have to work your ass off to find that fun.

Some fans are so old school they wont take thier eyes out of 1992.

This is me, Tornado, talking. I'm the old school Genesis-era Sonic fan whose favorite Sonic game still came out on the Gamecube in early 2002. So, like Diogenese, I'm not the strawman you make me out to be. With that in mind, read my lips: STH '06 is catastrophically bad, and you don't need to be wearing the patented Retrofag Fanboy Goggles to be able to see that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can I just say how utterly awful I think it is, that what should be a simple discussion about a videogame has become a swear-filled cyclone of bitter sarcasm, one sentence posting and downright rudeness? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Disappointed, more like, since this past year I've been lucky to see the brilliant and awesome side of the Sonic fanbase.

I will also say that several people have taken a comment made by Meta77 personally, namely that of some old-school fans who "won't take their eyes out of 1992". The comment was not only factually correct, but also deliberately vague and clearly not targetting anybody here.

Really? Come on... I mean, I'm all for everyone having their own opinion, but the storyline of this game is so utterly full of plot holes and bad writing that I can't see how anyone can call it "rich" or "clever". Not only is it internally inconsistent due to the poorly-played time travel plot--And stories with time travel don't inherently have to be confusing either--but it also manages to screw up and contradict the plots of several other games by completely changing the established backstory of two major characters (Blaze and, by association, Eggman Nega).

And again, I'm all for different opinions, but I personally find Mephiles incredibly generic. And his plan was poorly executed and overly complicated, too.

Thanks for explaining your opinions in detail, AXB, and responding to my post. :)

I was originally talking about the potential of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), and I can see the potential the storyline had. I think a lot of the plot holes are easy to explain for us fans (y'know, the kind of people who sit around thinking about Sonic all day... yes, they might confuse the newcomers, but I simply can't be a newcomer to Sonic). I mean, there's the big question of Blaze but, if you view the videogame as a standalone story, she's not a question at all. There's also a plethora of simple answers (that the events of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), despite being released after Sonic Rush, are a prequel... that the timeline was reset by Sonic and Elise at the end, and so none of it ever happened anyway... that the Blaze we see sacrificing herself at the end of Silver's story is our dimension's Blaze, leaving her alternate dimension self free to encounter Sonic elsewhere... that her "blue hedegehog" comment wasn't recognition, just repetition). Damn, those were some long brackets! Sorry about that!

As for Mephiles, I think I just found him interesting. He was Shadow's shadow, the dark underbelly of a character who's already famed for having a dark underbelly. He made some cool comments and I loved his taunting relationship with Shadow (and his reveal, emerging from an ancient antique and yet instantly knowing Shadow). I'm not fussed either way on his murdering Sonic: it was a rather silly cutscene, I'll admit, and it was also an unsporting method of execution. But if you simply play Shadow's story alone, Mephiles is excellent in his involvement (and a wonderful fresh breeze after Sonic just fights Eggman again, and Silver ends up fighting a generic monster-of-the-week).

I'm not quite sure why people exalt Mephiles for that. The way he did it? Effective yes but STUPID. And cowardly. Stupid because Sonic's death should've been handled much more epically. Sonic should've been given the opportunity to put up one hell of a fight and go down heroically but no, the guy who takes down gods of destruction, insane genuises and renegade killer robots on a daily basis gets distracted by a shiny thing and (Quite cheaply) gets stabbed from behind.

IMO, It would've been great if Mephiles aimed at Elise first knowing that Sonic would get in the way to save her. Would've made out Meph to be more dastardly and would've given Sonic's death much more meaning.

Pretty much this. Killing the main character won't make you a better villain. It all comes down to how you kill the main character.

Sega themselves seem to agree, considering they're completely ignoring the plot of the game. I'm not even talking about the timeline reboot at the end, either; seems like they've literally thrown it out of the continuity since subsequent games still use Blaze's Rush backstory and such.

The DS version of Colors says otherwise.

Edited by DragonSoul

I liked messing around with the purple(?) gem and endlessly jumping around the stages, exploiting all sorts of hilarious glitches and going places I was obviously not intended to go to. I liked seeing how the levels were made from an outside view (leaping over boundaries and junk) and I guess in general how a beta version of a 3D Sonic game might play. I kind of feel like a beta tester or something, and it's sorta cool. As a game experience though, pass. I used to have fangoggles on and dig the game, but yeah, the flaws were too great and I just sort of realized it was buggy and unfinished. Though I doubt we have to linger on this, since we know now that Sonic's quality can and did improve since then. ;P I figure the devs were just having a rough time around the time the game was in development or something.

is a load of shit that has no redeeming qualities, with an overall terrible soundtrack to add insult to injury.

Which Sonic game are we talking about here? o_O Sonic 06's one redeeming quality for most people is the glorious soundtrack. I know I, for one, loved it to bits and consider it one of the best Sonic soundtracks. (Again, ignoring the character themes.) I can understand if you didn't like it, but that's just your opinion, not a fact. xD Just sayin'.

Edited by Aptiva

I will also say that several people have taken a comment made by Meta77 personally, namely that of some old-school fans who "won't take their eyes out of 1992". The comment was not only factually correct, but also deliberately vague and clearly not targetting anybody here.

It is factually correct, but not in relation to this topic. It was also very clearly brought up in the first place because of the amount of negative reaction the game has been getting in this topic that Meta77 didn't want to hear, and he obviously said it specifically because he was using it as his "BIAS!" card (because there is no other reason to make that statement in this topic).

Edited by Tornado

I still don't understand why so many people hate the story. When I was watching those cutscenes, I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Something about those cutscenes gave me a SA2 vibe. I thought Mephiles was one of the best villains I've seen in a game in a long time. The soundtrack, I also liked the character models. (though for same reason I liked the cutscenes, because of the SA2 vibe) Tails, Amy, Rouge, and Silver's models especially are some of the best models I've seen in a game. Shadow's model I didn't like. He looked disproportioned.

Still, I'm not going to lie, when I started moving the joystick, I was shocked. Who did they hire to program the character's movements? How can you get a job working on an iconic franchise game like that, and not be able program physics. The designers had time to make levels, the animators had plenty of time to make those cutscenes, I just don't get that.

I still don't understand why so many people hate the story. When I was watching those cutscenes, I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Something about those cutscenes gave me a SA2 vibe. I thought Mephiles was one of the best villains I've seen in a game in a long time. The soundtrack, I also liked the character models. (though for same reason I liked the cutscenes, because of the SA2 vibe) Tails, Amy, Rouge, and Silver's models especially are some of the best models I've seen in a game. Shadow's model I didn't like. He looked disproportioned.

I found no redeeming aspects in the story at all. Half the characters you mentioned don't even have a role in the story. Elise is a walking plot device, with no personality at all. Mephiles had a plan they makes no sense in the slightest, if he had to merge with Iblis, why the hell didn't he do it when he first met Silver?

• Thumbs Up 2

I found no redeeming aspects in the story at all. Half the characters you mentioned don't even have a role in the story. Elise is a walking plot device, with no personality at all. Mephiles had a plan they makes no sense in the slightest, if he had to merge with Iblis, why the hell didn't he do it when he first met Silver?

Maybe he needed all the Chaos Emeralds to do so. Not to mention Mephiles seems to be the type of villain who toys/uses others rather than achieve his goals on his own.

Maybe he needed all the Chaos Emeralds to do so. Not to mention Mephiles seems to be the type of villain who toys/uses others rather than achieve his goals on his own.

Plus, thanks to his ease of time travel, he could make his plan as unnecessarily elaborate as he wanted. If something got screwed up along the way, he could literally step back and try again all the wiser.

No. Because in the Last story after he kills Sonic, he only has the purple emerald, then the other 6 magically go to him. And if that was the case he wouldn't have killed Sonic in the first place.

Nope, still terrible.

Look, kid, I liked both Sonic Adventures, I liked Secret Rings, I liked Unleashed, I loved the Rushes and Colors. I am not this strawman you've built up in your head, this excuse you've come up with to explain why so many people hate what you like that doesn't make you wrong. I can and do judge the game for what it is, not how it measures up to other games. And my conclusion is simple: '06. Is. Shit.

You don't have to agree with it (though I can't understand how you don't), but stop trying to pass it off as if it's a flaw in my perceptions, and in those of everyone who disagrees with you.

Im 21 going on 22. Yes the game is shit no doubt about it but when I sat down and played it the game was good. the fmv movies will always remain as some of the best. and the final fight with solaris music was pure win.

It is factually correct, but not in relation to this topic. It was also very clearly brought up in the first place because of the amount of negative reaction the game has been getting in this topic that Meta77 didn't want to hear, and he obviously said it specifically because he was using it as his "BIAS!" card (because there is no other reason to make that statement in this topic).

Actually I made that comment after reading the latest nintendo power and reading about that fan remake old school sonic and how one said that sonic 2 was his fav and how he hated 3D sonic games ever since adventure.

Im 21 going on 22. Yes the game is shit no doubt about it but when I sat down and played it the game was good. the fmv movies will always remain as some of the best. and the final fight with solaris music was pure win.

Actually I made that comment after reading the latest nintendo power and reading about that fan remake old school sonic and how one said that sonic 2 was his fav and how he hated 3D sonic games ever since adventure.

Did we even play the same game? The final boss was boring as fuck and half of the FMVs weren't even actual CGI.

Edit:

Oh, and it's absolutely undeniable that the classics were far better received than the post-2000 games. Are you suggesting that everyone who prefers the classics is a biased fool who needs to stop pretending they're in 1992? Please. That's the most bullshit claim I've heard in a long time.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1