Awoo.

Tomb Raider - Out 05/03/2013 for X360/PS3/PC

Shaddix Leto Croft

Hmmm...

Anyone think they can pull this off with the new Lara? I'm not too into the Tomb Raider series, but I'm well aware of what Lara is and at least some of her experiences. She's always a professional in her games, but this one instead goes for a more inexperienced Lara that grows into the one she currently. I'd say I like their intentions, but who knows of the outcome.

The "gorey death" factor is something the series already had, but couldn't represent properly because of tech limitations. I mean, you can get brutally crushed, mauled, eaten or impaled in plenty of different ways in the first game. About time they added shaders other than wet tshirt mode to Lara's excessively clean model.

Conceptually I think this new TR is a cool idea (exploring and surviving

) and it doesn't look half bad from the scans, even when accounting the obvious bullshottery. Maybe this time it'll catch on and they won't have to keep restarting the series!

Remains to be seen whether or not CD is up to the task, though.

Game Informer scans now available

Don't know who provided them, but someone called Aimless at the N-Europe forums found them:

http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1246080&postcount=20

1DL6E.jpg

ZjsDM.jpg

RAgaZ.jpg

fkAq2.jpg

A9NuQ.jpg

ecLxq.jpg

ELpQc.jpg

8wnvZ.jpg

eKILc.jpg

This intrigues me. I've always been a fan of the Tomb Raider series, so of course I'm going to buy it. I think the eploration feature is going to be a nice add on. I can't say much about the surviver idea, but if it's done right it can only be an improvement.

Interesting aside... but if you count Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, this will be the eleventh entry into the franchise.

Basically, in both year of release and in number of games, this is Tomb Raider 11.

Wonder if that was deliberate? :D I'd love it to be, I love stuff like that!

Y'know, I hate it when they say reboot and its literally a reboot of the entire franchise. I don't mind seeing games that "reboot" the franchise in the sense that they go back to the beginning, but it bugs the heck out of me when they take an existing franchise and essentially say "forget everything; this is entirely new even though we say its the same character."

I'm not even a Tomb Raider fan, but I've seen this kind of thing with other series'. Batman, for example, and soon Spiderman again (at least the movies, anyway). The Batman was similarly done for the animated series. Another example I can think of is Spyro, too (although I've never played anything after A Hero's Tale).

A recent example I can think of is Lufia, a series I really like. They called it more of a reinvention, but thinking it over it was essentially a reboot; the same basic plot for the game, most of the same characters, but with the world redrawn (medieval into a steampunk world) and numerous backstories rewritten (several major characters live in different locations; Prince Leon, for example, the prince and ruler of Auralio, was made into the older brother of Alex from Bound Kingdom, of which in the original neither kingdom ever interacts with one another at all).

I suppose at least in Lufia's case, though, the "reboot" is still based on the first (chronological) game in the series, unlike in some franchises where it literally starts over with something entirely different.

I wanna be with ya'll in the whole "this game can't turn out well" group...

But I actually really want this game. I don't care if it's not 'tomb raider-y' it sounds like a good game and that's what the series needs.

I wish this stupid fad of naming a series' newest installment after the original would wear the fuck off.

Amen to that. It got mighty ridiculous for Need for Speed when its Hot Pursuit subseries went in release order like this:

*Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit

*Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II

*Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Yes, the numbering went backwards. Does that make even the tiniest of sense to all of ye?

Edited by Pikawil

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't think it would be worth making a new topic for this, but if someone else wants to, then that's fine.

Tomb Raider Trilogy revealed for PS3:

Crystal Dynamics has confirmed it will release a Tomb Raider Trilogy collection for PlayStation 3 this coming March.

The pack contains high-definition versions of Tomb Raider: Legend and Tomb Raider: Anniversary, both of which will have trophy support, as well as the PS3 version of Tomb Raider: Underworld all on one Blu-ray disc.

The product listing for Tomb Raider Trilogy originally appeared on Amazon Germany today and was quickly confirmed to be real by Crystal Dynamics' Karl Stewart over Twitter.

Didn't think it would be worth making a new topic for this, but if someone else wants to, then that's fine.

Tomb Raider Trilogy revealed for PS3:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1140977p1.html

Son of a... :o

My PlayStation2 copies of Legend and Anniversary, both in water-damaged cases, are shot to hell. I just purchased Underworld, for PlayStation3, the other day.

Why didn't I freakin' wait?! :blink:

Is it just me or does the gorey death failure sound like it has to do with QTEs? Oh boy, press "X" to not die. Other than that, the rest of the game seems interesting.

Game Informer podcast featured a bit of Tomb Raider music which some think it is the Main Theme song I myself think this too

I really like this track for such a small teaser it's very good better than Legend theme (if it is the theme :])

There is a full podcast video on Youtube too =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8CB2wZaazU&feature=player_embedded

• 3 months later...

naamloosxoq.png

More possible info may be coming soon for Tomb Raider i think this image looks very TRReboot style in the next EDGE oh and TR pretty much E3 bound from Karl Stewart's twitter

Drules2

@CrystalDKarl How is the develoment of the new tomb raider going karl cant wait to play it u guys have done a great job with the other games

Karl Stewart

@drules2 all is going good dude. Getting ready for E3.......big plans ahead.

Sources: http://twitter.com/CrystalDKarl

http://twitter.com/drules2

Edited by Shaddix Croft

• 4 weeks later...

BRAND NEW TOMB RAIDER SCREENS!!!!

tnimg083.jpg

sinttulo2xr.th.jpgsinttulo5w.th.jpgsinttulo4cp.th.jpgsinttulo3wv.th.jpg

See more images and scans of the Magazine for more screens and a translation in the link above :). Seeing more stuff for this game has brought back my hype for this game it looks great can't wait for a Trailer :D

Edited by Shaddix_Croft

See more images and scans of the Magazine for more screens and a translation in the link above :). Seeing more stuff for this game has brought back my hype for this game it looks great can't wait for a Trailer :D

You need to be a registered member. I can't be bothered to validate my account >.>

You need to be a registered member. I can't be bothered to validate my account >.>

Edited by Shaddix_Croft
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if this has been posted on here yet but...

Tomb Raider film franchise reboot gets Iron Man writing pair

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=157460#comment-section

- writing team of Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby to work on the Tomb Raider film rebooth

- Fergus and Ostby worked on Iron Man

- film will be produced by Graham King and Tim Headington

- writers are looking to create an "origin story for Lara Croft that solidifies her place alongside Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor in the pantheon of great female action heroes."

- no actors have been cast yet

Now, I'm not the biggest Tomb raider fan out there, but I've been looking at this reboot closely from all the info and all... This right here is a big "FUCK YES!" to me. :)

Edit: Oops, my bad. Wrong Tomb raider. Got a little too eager on that one. Dammit, sorry about that.

Edited by YoshiUnity:Ace SSMB Member

TOMB RAIDER SCRIPT LEAKED!!

Cinematic – Videolog1 Page 1

INT. LARA’S CABIN – TWILIGHT

We’re watching a video log; Lara is seen leaning into the camera as she draws her hand back from the record button and sits down on the side of her bunk.

LARA

(Bored) September second. Three weeks out, zero finds, twenty fish suppers, fifty instances of Roth fantasising about a pint of Bitter and a ninety-nine percent chance that I’ll hurl myself off this boat out of sheer boredom.

Still, at least I’ve convinced him that the only thing standing between him and his ale is the Dragon’s Triangle.

Lara shifts her weight.

LARA

(Dismissive) There’s the usual folklore rubbish about the place – spinning compasses, cursed ships – but that’s a load of nonsense and Roth knows it.

Lara leans into the camera a little.

LARA

(Growing excitement) We’re close to something, I can feel it. Something extraordinary. And that’s what it’s about after all, isn’t it? Anything less and it’s just a hobby.

EXT. VILLAGE – NIGHT

Lara is approaching the village when from a nearby distance she hears wolves BARKING and SNARLING. GUNSHOTS follow, and then the sound of Roth crying out in pain:

ROTH (O.C.)

Gah!

Lara rushes toward the source of the sounds. From across an ancient, weathered bridge that spans the distance to a plateau atop a rock spire, she can see now a battle between Roth and a pack of wolves.

LARA

(To self – relieved) It’s Roth (Calls out) Roth, I’m coming!

Roth unleashes a battle cry in response.

ROTH

Rrrrrah!

She rushes across the bridge, we cut to Roth, who sits on the ground with his back to the wall of a ruined structure. He clutches an emptied automatic pistol in each hand. A couple dead wolves lie nearby, amid a scatter of spent shell casings. Roth’s eyes are closed, his teeth are clenches, but he’s obviously still alive. One of his legs is bleeding from a serious wound. Lara runs into frame and crouches down beside him.

LARA

(Relieved) Oh thank God you’re alive.

Roth pries open one eye, smiles and gestures to draw attention to his gun.

ROTH

(Pained) God had nothing to do with it. (Smiling weakly) It’s good to see you too, girl.

Lara touches Roth’s wound and they both wince.

LARA

(Wincing) Sorry…they did a real number on your leg…

She looks around for something to use as a tourniquet. We focus on Roth and can hear Lara tearing off some material – maybe from Roth’s clothes or hers.

ROTH

(Pained Dismissive) Nah, it looks worse than it is.

Lara starts to bind Roth’s leg.

LARA

Have you heard from any of the others?

ROTH

(Pained) Nothing.

We pull back. Lara’s tied a tourniquet around Roth’s leg. Roth reaches up a hand to be helped to his feet.

LARA

(Shocked) What are you doing?

ROTH

Those scavengers took my food pack. The transmitter from the lifeboat’s in it. If we don’t get it back we’re not getting off this bloody island.

Lara gestures to Roth’s leg

LARA

(Worried) You need bandages, antiseptic… morphine…

ROTH

Also in the pack…

LARA

(Despondent) Shit.

ROTH

(Pained) In a word.

Roth Holds out his hand again. Lara helps him up and he puts his arm over her shoulder. He staggers and blacks out, Lara almost overbalances as his body slumps to the ground.

LARA

(Rising panic) Roth!

She lies him down and shakes his face.

LARA

(Rising panic) Oh don’t do this to me you Yorkshire bastard.

She checks his pulse.

LARA

(Semi-relieved) At least he’s still alive.

Lara stands up, takes a few deep breaths, She looks around the clearing before squatting down to examine the earth. Lara’s eyes follow the wolf tracks leading off in one direction and she stands back up.

LARA

(Slight panic) Oh God, what am I doing?

Cinematic – Village2

EXT. VILLAGE – NIGHT

Lara returns to Roth and finds him still lying unconscious next to the campfire.

Lara drops the transmitter and the medkit next to Roth and starts to work

LARA

(Determined) Right, let’s get you patched up.

FADE DOWN briefly and then FADE UP to Roth waking up. He sits up. Lara’s is sitting a small distance away staring into the camp fire.

ROTH

Not bad. Where does a young lady like you learn to do a thing like that?

LARA

Late shift at The Nine Bells. A wolf’s got nothing on a broken bottle.

Roth looks at the transmitter.

ROTH

You got it. Nice work.

LARA

I assume the plan is to get it to that radio tower?

We angle on the central mountain peak.

ROTH (O.C.)

It should give us the best shot of broadcasting a strong signal in every direction.

Roth grunts, shifting his wounded leg uncomfortably, He looks at the peak, then at his leg, then back at Lara.

ROTH

(softly) Lara. We need to send out that SOS and I’m not going climbing any time soon.

Lara stares into the fire.

LARA

(Despondent) I was afraid you were going to say that.

Roth reaches out and touches Lara’s shoulder. She turns to look at him – her face a mask of worry.

ROTH

You can do this Lara; after all, you are a Croft.

LARA

(Weakly) I don’t think I’m that kind of Croft.

ROTH

(Encouraging) Sure you are. You just don’t know it yet.

Roth reaches over and picks up his climbing axe. He lays it on the ground between them. Lara stares at it for a minute unsure if she should take the responsibility.

LARA

(Putting on a brave face) Then let’s hope I’m a fast learner.

When she does reach for it Roth grabs her wrist gently.

ROTH

(softly but sternly) Just be careful Lara.

Roth lifts his hand and Lara nods before standing up to leave.

She slips off into the night without another word.

Now to read this awesome =D

*doesn't read*

Normally I think I'd be fine with it, but with this game being such a massive departure I want to see it first hand, in action.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

^ I understand if you don't want any Spoilers :)

The first details of the game were revealed earlier this year.

The Crystal Dynamics-developed title will feature a 21-year-old Lara who has complete freedom of movement in a dangerous open-world where she can die in a range of brutal sounding ways.

That's Lara's new voice? She sounds young (cause like, she is young in this game) but she's lacking that well spoken English tone. I hope she still has has it to some extent. The trailer has now completely torn me though. It's a new Tomb Raider and is looking impressive, but it's not Tomb Raider at all now. It's just so... wrong. Everything about it so far is screaming generidark. Why? It's such a shame, especially since now it does look like it's going to be a complete departure from everything we know about the franchise.

Also, 2012 now?

This new Tomb Raider has incredible potential, the real question is if Crystal Dynamics can tap it to it's fullest.

A somewhat open world, this new, vulnerable and more down to earth Lara, and a touch of survival game\horror game is very interesting.

Time will tell.

• 11 months later...

Tomb Raider delayed until 2013

...but there's a new screenshot to feast your eyes on

By Shaun Prescott for CVG AU for computerandvideogames.com

The anticipated Tomb Raider reboot will be released in 2013, despite earlier reports it would hit shelves in late 2012.

In a message posted on the official Eidos message board, Crystal Dynamics Head of Studio Darrell Gallagher has confirmed the studio's Tomb Raider reboot won't see a release in 2012.

"Our priority now is to make sure we fully deliver the very highest quality game. In order to do this, we have decided to move the game's release date by a few months, from Fall 2012 to the first quarter of 2013.

"We're doing things that are completely new to Tomb Raider in this game and the additional development time will allow us to put the finishing touches into the game and polish it to a level that you deserve."

screenshot_282643.jpg

The full statement is here for your reading pleasure. To take the edge off the announcement, Eidos have released a new screenshot from the game, which you can see above.

Has this announcement totally ruined your day? Hold forth in the comments section below!

http://www.computera...yed-until-2013/

Gutted. First BioShock Infinite and now this. I've been looking forward to this game since the gameplay demonstration at E3 last year.