Awoo.

Cutscene Reveal

Detective Shadzter

5. That's okay. I know that and I can agree with that. But Smith sounded cool as well as in character in the Alton Tower commercials. I know they think it's better, I just want to know why. I think it was a retarded decision that makes Sonic sound like a generic platforming dude. He sounds like Ratchet and basically every other popular platforming star nowadays. His timber isn't unique anymore, it's....just "cool".

Edited by Scar
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Now this is degenerating into "your opinion sucks".

I think Sonic should sound as unique as he always has while sounding cool. The voice actor and voice director shouldn't have to choose between these two qualities. I also think that the Alton Towers commercial voice was a solid foundation for Smith to work from. That's my opinion. Let's move on.

EDIT: And I was never praising Griffith, Scar. I don't see how that Jason Griffith Tribute video that I've seen multiple times was even relevant to anything I said.

Edited by Aerosol

Now this is degenerating into "your opinion sucks".

I think Sonic should sound as unique as he always has while sounding cool. The voice actor and voice director shouldn't have to choose between these two qualities. That's my opinion. Let's move on.

Edited by Scar

1. moot

2. Counter-arguments against me were centered around Sonic aging. I was just offering a rebuttal.

3. I know Sega thinks the voice fits better. I want to know why they think the voice fits better, considering it's radically different from anything they've ever had, and they've definitely had a long time to change it if they've really been dissatisfied.

4. moot.

5. That's okay. I know that and I can agree with that. But Smith sounded cool as well as in character in the Alton Tower commercials. I know they think it's better, I just want to know why. I think it was a retarded decision that makes Sonic sound like a generic platforming dude. He sounds like Ratchet and basically every other popular platforming star nowadays. His timber isn't unique anymore, it's....just "cool".

Edited by Blue Blood

]3. I know Sega thinks the voice fits better. I want to know why they think the voice fits better, considering it's radically different from anything they've ever had, and they've definitely had a long time to change it if they've really been dissatisfied.
Edited by Shadic93

Well Im late to the party and stuff but all I have to say is...These are the stages I went through:

-1) Shocked because his voice was much deeper than I thought

-2) Loled at the comedy

-3) Admired the good script and overall better cutscene

-4) Loved sonics voice

-5) WANT TO SEE MORE <33

I was rebuttling your argument about Sonic not being unique any more.

Clearly, he never really was unique, outside of Burke

Edited by Aerosol

I brought up a similar point in the Roger topic, but has it even been confirmed that Sega is "rebooting the brand"? To me, it just sounded like Doctor Sonic's interpretation of the "older" bit, not an actual confirmation itself.

Not to mention that the only things that seems different with this "reboot" is the voices and the exclusion of gameplay-changing gimmicks from the main games, which doesn't really seem like much of a reboot to me...

I doubt Ratchet was based off of Sonic too...anthropomorphic talking creatures is an age old concept, even in games. Ratchet has far more in common with Jak than he does with Sonic. Again, not relevant, just pointing that out.

Edited by Shadic93

An interveiw with one of the new Senior employees stated that SEGA are wanting to 'reboot' the brand, or at least free it from the negative stigma that has attached itself to the series.

Edited by gamerguy21

Galaxy Man, not only did you seemingly read bits of my response at a time and write a response, instead of read the whole thing THEN respond (like Blue Blood did),

• Thumbs Up 1

This is horrible news for me. Nintendo has never up and decided that Mario needed to sound older. He has sounded the same since Mario 64. And don't gimme that "It's been the same voice actor though" nonsense. Smith has shown that he's capable of matching the tone of voice Sonic has had for years. Sega told him to take it down an octave. There better be a good explanation for this.

Mario's supposed to be about 40. Why would he need to sound older?

Mario's supposed to be about 40. Why would he need to sound older?

You've missed the point and that conversation is done and dusted. Let's not kick it up again.

Ratchet has far more in common with Jak than he does with Sonic. Again, not relevant, just pointing that out.

Not really on topic, but I have to correct you. Other way around, bro. Jak became more like Ratchet following the creation and success of Ratchet, who actually went through a character change in the second one to make him more mellowed out and "cool" not unlike Sonic actually.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Unique is probably the wrong word. It's just that, there are certain qualities in a voice that, if I hear it in the context of a video game, will make me think it's Sonic speaking. It's a certain tone of voice that Sonic has always had that what Smith was told to do doesn't.

I have too agree. now sonic sounds like every other Teen anime charater.

See above. Also, Mario has spoken lines before. That's not really relevant, just pointing that out. I'm not talking about "Let'sa go!". He's said a full (albeit short) sentence once or twice...atleast once in Sunshine and once somewhere else...can't remember where.

If anyone wants to hear Mario really talk then they should serch youtube for videos of him talk to people at the nintendo world store.

Edited by Gamer18

I've been staying out of this thread until the news cooled down, but I think I might as well give my input on the new voices.

Honestly, I may be the only one (or at least in the minority) to say this, but BOTH voices are unconventional for me. One issue I have with Kate Higgins is that because I watched the horrid Naruto dub (subs are infinitely better, and even THEN I hate the show itself), all I hear from Tails is Sakura. It's hard to get used to.

Not saying that Tails doesn't sound like a boy (Sakura actually sounds very tomboyish in the first place, it's just a bit weird to hear that in Tails' voice): this IS his best voice yet, even better than Cory Bringas if you ask me, especially in actual acting quality. To me, this voice sounds a lot more natural and closer to being 8 years old than the last one, which just sounded like a woman holding her nose.

As for Sonic, yeah, it's very different than anything we've had before. Honestly never expected it. However, I agree that despite it sounding -deeper- and more masculine and heroic, he still very much sounds within his age-range vocally. I know of people YOUNGER than Sonic who have deeper voices than RCS's Sonic. But basically, because of it being so different, it's really jarring to get used to. The acting is great, but for Sonic's voice, it just doesn't seem right. Honestly, this voice would have fit Shadow better, but that's just me. And if RCS ends up voicing Shadow, I obviously expect a deeper voice than this, since he's already gone this deep for Sonic.

Oh, and I sincerely hope that the Colors DS demo gets on the US Wii Shop Channel soon. Even though I still don't intend to get the DS version, I would like to try it out.

...oh, and I might be yelled at for saying this, but I hate how Sonic games are basically turning into AoStH. That cartoon was horrible imo, and I view people's liking of it as just having nostalgic value to it. Not trying to be rude, but I don't want Sonic games to be like kids' shows. The way everything is animated and written just screams "Sonic done by Pixar or (the old) Warner Bros".

The only things I liked/found funny in the cutscene writing/humor/animation-wise were the moonwalk and 4th-wall breaking. (Ironic, I liked the majority decision's "least funny and lame" joke in the cutscene as the best joke.)

Edited by Shade Vortex

Listening to the cutscene for the 5th time, Sonic's voice actually grew on me a lot more.

Actually gives a more maturer feel for his character. Of course, after seeing Sonic jump off of warships as a sport, I want to hear him while he's in action and having fun...we all love it when the guy's somewhat cocky, amirite?

I can agree, it grew on me after 3 hours since the cutscene came but I think it's different so people are off-putted at first With time, more will adapt.

Listening to the cutscene for the 5th time, Sonic's voice actually grew on me a lot more.

Actually gives a more maturer feel for his character. Of course, after seeing Sonic jump off of warships as a sport, I want to hear him while he's in action and having fun...we all love it when the guy's somewhat cocky, amirite?

Unlike so much sonic fans, i think the old characters voices were just perfect (aside tails, kate just sounds better that point) :

Jason could Carry out a lot emotions to sonic, while i am not sure if Roger could be as good....

Edited by speedduelist

Unlike so much sonic fans, i think the old characters voices were just perfect (aside tails, kate just sounds better that point) :

Jason could Carry out a lot emotions to sonic, while i am not sure if Roger could be as good....

If Roger can do awesome voice acting in Assassin's Creed 2 & Brotherhood....

He can pull off an awesome Sonic voice like he provides in that Sonic Colours cutscene

People need to understand that Roger has proved in MANY of his works he is perfectly capable of carrying out many emotions. Check out some of his other work, he has fantastic range as well as seriously good acting skills. People just don't like change and haven't adjusted, and PLUS are comparing ONE cutscene of Roger's with ALL of Jason's work. Added they are comparing LATER Jason performances to Roger's first performance as Sonic.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

People need to understand that Roger has proved in MANY of his works he is perfectly capable of carrying out many emotions. Check out some of his other work, he has fantastic range as well as seriously good acting skills. People just don't like change and haven't adjusted, and PLUS are comparing ONE cutscene of Roger's with ALL of Jason's work. Added they are comparing LATER Jason performances to Roger's first performance as Sonic.

That is one thing I like about Roger. He is WAY more versitile voice wise than Griffith. Griffith literally abused one kind of voice for every character he played. There were only a few exceptions. Roger is much better at really creating individual personas for each character he acts. See here: