Awoo.

Minecraft

Noir

Might as well post here with any MC updates...

1.6.6 - May 31, 2011

Additions:

• Bonemeal can grow tall grass and flowers on grass blocks.
  • Added Performance in Video Settings, Options Menu. Can be set to Max FPS, Balanced or Power saver.
  • Changed the material of Glowstone from “glass” to “stone”. This means you need a pickaxe to get resources from it.
  • Made Glowstone drop more loot (Up to 4 Glowstone Dust).
  • Made the recipe sizes for creating cloth blocks and glowstone blocks smaller (2x2 instead of 3x3).
    Bug Fixes:
    • Fixed Beds not working very well at all in SMP.
    • Fixed destroying a Boat spawning the player too low, causing them to sometimes fall through the ground.
    • Boats float up to the surface quicker.
    • Boats falling down into water lose their vertical momentum very fast.

New Bugs:

Crashing a boat into ground while riding it doesn't destroy the boat, even in full speed. (is bug?)When putting torches all around a bed in SSP, you will not sleep until daytime.Redstone torches do not work correctly in multiplayer. (In what way, what server version??)Redstone torches do not burn out.Redstone Repeater delays have changed.If Nether Portal is built at or near sky level it can cause SMP to crashWhen placing items in a furnace, dragged item is showed under the placed one.

This is really getting irritating now. Ever since 1.6, I'll be playing for a short amount of time and I'll get a 'Minecraft has run out of memory' message, prompting me to restart the game. I'm damn sure it's not a memory issue on my end, as I've got 8GB of RAM, a 60GB SSD and a 1TB HDD to handle everything, and they're all full of free space. Anyone else running into this?

A temporary workaround would be to increase the amount of memory allocated to the Minecraft client - the default is 1GB.

*would give instructions but also needs to work out how to do this*

This is really getting irritating now. Ever since 1.6, I'll be playing for a short amount of time and I'll get a 'Minecraft has run out of memory' message, prompting me to restart the game. I'm damn sure it's not a memory issue on my end, as I've got 8GB of RAM, a 60GB SSD and a 1TB HDD to handle everything, and they're all full of free space. Anyone else running into this?

What version of Java are you using? It could very well be mismatched with your OS. That's the only idea I have for now. :[

There's a recursive function stack overflow bug in the game somewhere, I've encountered it by hopping around a new map at high speed - at some point it overloads the allotted RAM trying to hold all the chunks in memory.

What it should be doing is unloading chunks like it used to when you go out of range. Basically it's not, so the game will kill itself if you do a lot of exploring until they fix it.

What it should be doing is unloading chunks like it used to when you go out of range. Basically it's not, so the game will kill itself if you do a lot of exploring until they fix it.

After an hour or so of research this is the only conclusive answer I came across. It's definitely an 'until they fix it' problem, unfortunately.

Hate it, or love it - Minecraft is coming to the Xbox.

Edited by DJ FLiGHTS
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ouch! As a console player, reading those comments hurt. Sheesh people(In reference to the people on Youtube), Minecraft isn't selling out or anything so just shut up.

Anyway, this is definitely interesting. We will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

It actually works pretty well on a 360 controller. I've used a mouse and keyboard emulator to map my wireless 360 controller to it quite a few times when I've felt like playing from bed. The only issue is you're never able to turn quite as fast as a mouse, but on the other hand an official port would have a better range of movement for the movement stick than an emulated controller. Upsides are plentiful though, the L and R triggers feel very natural as the mouse buttons and the D Pad is a much more intuitive and easy to use quickbar than the 1-8 keys or mouse scrolling are in particular. I just hope use object gets mapped to a separate button in the official release. It was the only action that felt a little awkward.

Here's hoping for a PS3 port as well.

Edited by Matt

If it means I can voicechat without having to start up Skype or Ventrillo, and none of the customizability of the original is lost (mods, texpacks and whatnot), then hell, go for it.

I'm going to get this for the X-Box and never leave my house again. The free version is addicting enough, and I always wanted to get the actual game.

...and none of the customizability of the original is lost (mods, texpacks and whatnot), then hell, go for it.

I really wouldn't expect it. It'll be the standard texture pack only with no support for mods unless Microsoft make something similar to the Kinect FunLabs thing where the community can upload their work.

Well, here's our first look at Notch's pistons:

pistons.png

It's also been revealed that there will be two versions of them - the standard one, and a "sticky" piston that can pull back blocks after they're pushed. With any luck that'll finally give slimeballs some use.

On another tangent, I took a quick cavedive through some caves that popped up while I was terraforming in the SSMB server, and

HOLY SHIT THAT IS A LOT OF MUSHROOMS

2011-06-08_11.51.27.png

Edited by Blacklightning

Alright, I'll need to shut down the server this early this evening for maintenance. I'll let anyone in the servers know when I'll do it, as well as update this once they go back up. In return, I'll leave the servers open for an extra 2 hours tonight.

Also, peeps still wanting to get into the server, please remember to ask to be white-listed. Remember to have good clean fun~

I apologize for the server being out for the afternoon. Router was restarted due to a power fluctuation, so I had to mess with some settings to get things back to normal. Lots of stuff what with IP and port shenanigans. Worked on it, but took a while since I was unaware it was even down. It's back up, and I guess I'll leave it up for the rest of the night to make up for it. Please enjoy yourselves. (Whoever is still up...)

Meep meep, I just noticed that Silva asked me to put the server info in the opening post. Don't know why I didn't think of doing that myself. But whatever, it's there now and only took me a few weeks :V

Jeb was recently at a big LAN event in Sweden to answer some questions about the future of Minecraft, here's the highlights:

- No plans for dynamic lighting, due to performance and gameplay issues (Mobs spawning, mobs burning in light, etc.)

- Dragons aren't 100% out-of-the-question, but they most likely won't happen

- Oceans (Basically just GIANT bodies of water) are probably not going to happen

- There will be an item or something to make diamond tools more powerful.

- No plans for obsidian tools

- Animals will be more persistent, only really spawning at the generation of a world.

- There's a possibility for infinite map height

- Pistons will not push players/blocks far (This was seen in the pistons WIP video though, but he explained why)

- Adventure mode will be more rewarding to players who like to explore (Notch mentioned this a while back as well)

- NPCs are pretty much planned (Most likely for adventure mode, although he spoke like they weren't)

- There's a high possibility for "exclusive" items/blocks found in certain areas. Sort of like the jungles, corruption, etc. in Terraria.

What have I found in the Creative Server... Just past the clouds... What is that?

screenshot689e.png

I wonder who else will find this...

:3

P.S. Coincidentally the creator of Nyan Cat was in an interview just yesterday. Listen here...

Edited by DJ FLiGHTS

What have I found in the Creative Server... Just past the clouds... What is that?

screenshot689e.png

I wonder who else will find this...

:3

P.S. Coincidentally the creator of Nyan Cat was in an interview just yesterday. Listen here...

DID YOU MAKE THIS? >:o

Oh yeah, and could you please fill my inventory with red wool? I need a whole lot more.