Awoo.

Minecraft

Noir

Not exactly Minecraft related, but Bethesda are suing Notch.

A lot of people want more details about what is going on, so here is everything I know:

First of all, I love Bethesda. I assume this nonsense is partly just their lawyers being lawyers, and a result of trademark law being the way it is.

About half a year ago, our lawyers recommended us to register “Minecraft” as a trademark, so we did. I had voted against it initially, but we did it anyway. Better safe than sorry, and all that. At the same time, we also applied for “Scrolls”, the new game we’re working on. We knew of no similarly named games, and we had even googled it to make sure. I’m not even sure if you CAN trademark individual words, like “Scrolls”, but we sent in the application anyway.

(Disclosure: We’ve enforced the trademark for Minecraft once, when there was a minecraft clone on iOS, using our name. People were emailing me saying our iOS version was buggy and bad, so we asked them to change the name of their game, and they did.)

A while later, out of the blue, we got contacted by Bethesda’s lawyers. They wanted to know more about the “Scrolls” trademark we were applying for, and claimed it conflicted with their existing trademark “The Elder Scrolls”. I agree that the word “Scrolls” is part of that trademark, but as a gamer, I have never ever considered that series of (very good) role playing games to be about scrolls in any way, nor was that ever the focal point of neither their marketing nor the public image.

The implication that you could own the right to all individual words within a trademark is also a bit scary. We looked things up and realized they didn’t have much of a case, but we still took it seriously. Nothing about Scrolls is meant to in any way derive from or allude to their games. We suggested a compromise where we’d agree to never put any words in front of “Scrolls”, and instead call sequels and other things something along the lines of “Scrolls - The Banana Expansion”. I’m not sure if they ever got back to us with a reply to this.

Today, I got a 15 page letter from some Swedish lawyer firm, saying they demand us to stop using the name Scrolls, that they will sue us (and have already paid the fee to the Swedish court), and that they demand a pile of money up front before the legal process has even started.

I assume this is all some more or less automated response to us applying for the trademark. I sincerely hope Bethesda isn’t pulling a Tim Langdell

Huh.

This reminds me of that time some idiot in Baltimore trademarked the word "hon" for her bakery, and threatened legal action upon anyone who used it without permission. Likewise, this is impossibly stupid. But unlike then, I really doubt this will go through.

http://officialtombr...check-out-these

tumblr_lpgy7m3F081qkq7tbo1_500.jpg

Now this is pure awesome (well for me) shame I don't play Minecraft but I thought I'll share this for you Minecraft fans who likes ya skins tongue.gif

Why does Lara have a moustache 4 out of 6 times? I guess they're meant to look like sunglasses in hindsight but it's like they chose the absolutely most inappropriate place to put them in.

EDIT: Also I don't know what you did Silva, but that previous chunk protection glitch seems to have been completely fixed now. So yeah, thanks for that.

Edited by Blacklightning

I am back, and I am excited.

Marriage has been wonderful so far, and nobody sabotaged my computer while I was gone.

The only negative thing going on at this moment is the Scrolls trademark lawsuit nonsense, and I think I came up with the perfect solution:

Remember that scene in Game of Thrones where Tyrion chose a trial by battle in the Eyrie? Well, let’s do that instead!

I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors. We select one level, you select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins.

If we win, you drop the lawsuit.

If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you’re fine with.

Regardless of the outcome, we could still have a small text somewhere saying our game is not related to your game series in any way, if you wish.

I am serious, by the way.

This is the best way to solve a lawsuit ever.

All lawsuit's should be solved this way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bump.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/17/notch-challenges-bethesda-to-quake-3-deathmatch-for-scrolls-tr/

Look, sometimes the traditional justice systems of the world just can't get it done. Some kerfuffles require alternative forms of arbitration -- like, for instance,the recent trademark dispute between Mojang and Bethesda over the former's upcoming game, Scrolls. Notch from Mojang has an interesting suggestion for solving the dispute once and for all: "I challenge Bethesda to a game ofQuake 3," he said in his blog earlier today.

"Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors," Notch added. "We select one level, you select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins." The stakes for this contest would be fairly high, as Notch added, "If we win, you drop the lawsuit. If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you're fine with."

In related news, we've been sitting here for like, an hour, trying to turn this whole scenario into a parody song of Charlie Daniels' "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." Our two hang-ups are that we're not comfortable characterizing either party as Satan, and also that we're just not Weird Al-clever.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just saw a FiM version "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and learned about it's really good sequel today and now it's mentioned in an article. Why do these coincidences always seem to happen to me?

Moreso on topic, I find Notch's suggestion really humerous. I hope Bethesda takes it, though I doubt they will. It would be a fun way to end a dispute though. Not really proffesional but still cool. I want a song about this, as a parody of "The Devil Came Down To Georgia", to be made now.

Even more on topic, anyone see, hear about or play the Moon dimension mod?

Seems like a fun mod. Especially for those who like space and Nasa and such. smile.gif

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good! Can't wait for the new mob! And now that i rewatch, the food meter seems like a fine idea.

Edited by Phantomime

IM THROWING MY MONEY AT THE SCREEN BUT NOTHINGS HAPPENING-

But seriously, IT LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME. :DDDDDDDD

Start a new world for 1.8 experiences?

There's quite a bit of new content on the way in the 1.8 update to Minecraft, including a reworked combat system, a creepy new enemy type and a creative mode. To see all the changes, though, you'll need to start a new world.

As confirmed by Mojang, to see the new biome features such as ravines and rivers, as well as the new villages throughout the world, it's necessary to create a new file.

The game is still technically in its beta phase, so this isn't entirely surprising, but I could see how some might be a little bent out of shape considering how much time they may have invested in their existing worlds. Minecraft programmer and creator Markus "Notch" Persson recently gave IGN an overview of what's to come in 1.8 at this past PAX. The update is expected to go live some time next week.

Edited by Wolfy

I rarely play on multiplayer servers due to the immense lag that it creates, and I have no problem starting over and creating new files. That's when gameplay is the most engaging anyways, so this bit of news doesn't break my heart. I just want the update to come already.

You guys are taking that quote a bit out of context there. It claims you have to start a new world to see the new features. All that really means is that they won't be applied to existing parts of your old worlds, and even then the game will still generate some if you move into new territory. This is something that happens after virtually every Minecraft update, and it's really no big deal unless you were somehow expecting a giant mushroom or a town to pop up next to your house for no real reason.

You guys are taking that quote a bit out of context there. It claims you have to start a new world to see the new features. All that really means is that they won't be applied to existing parts of your old worlds, and even then the game will still generate some if you move into new territory. This is something that happens after virtually every Minecraft update, and it's really no big deal unless you were somehow expecting a giant mushroom or a town to pop up next to your house for no real reason.

Well I knew that wouldn't happen of course, but I thought this update was acting different for whichever reason. I thought it was saying that even though you have unexplored land in your game, you'd still need to start a complete new world for the new 1.8 updates to appear. I'm aware of how all the other updates have worked in the past, I just thought this was different, XD.

MINECRAFT 1.8 IS OUT! (technically)

Minecraft's massive Adventure Update 1.8 has been leaked -- by Mojang right-hand man, Jens Bergensten, or Jeb. Minecraft creator Markus Persson is content with the leak, as shown through his subtle use of a winking emoticon in this tweet, and the following message, which says, "(I am fine with you using it. Make sure you get it from the leaked url we are hosting, though)."

Jeb affirmed his part in the leak with yet another emoticon, in the long-eyed equals-sign style, on a Reddit post. Jeb had previously tweeted he would upload the jar file for "expert users," which is exactly what he did nine hours later. If you're an expert Minecrafter, download the file here and get your adventure started.

When a developer leaks its own game a few days early, we think that should just be called a release. But hey, what do we know?

I have downloaded it. So far, its pretty damn good. I have been to a NPC village but then the game slowed down very much.

MINECRAFT 1.8 IS OUT! (technically)

I have downloaded it. So far, its pretty damn good. I have been to a NPC village but then the game slowed down very much.

Yeah, I've been having mine play extremely slow too. To the point where I had to quit actually, =/. I was able to find an NPC village, which I stole all the awesome new windows, and those slick iron bars, <3. Then I ventured a bit and found an Enderman, which after toying with him for awhile, I got myself killed LOL. Finally, I accidently fell down a large crack in the surface of the plains and landed right in front of an abandoned mine. I didn't have any torches, so I nervously walked down it until I was raped by a zombie.

As for the new features, I really love sprinting, <3. That said, I don't like how the animals sprint away when I hit them, >(. It makes much more sense, chasing pigs for food is getting annoying, XD. Speaking of, I'm not sure if I'm fond of the hunger bar yet. It seems like it'll be something to really piss me off later in the game, like being so far in a cave exploring and running out of food, so having to go back and etc.

I found an abandoned mineshaft deep underground, and heard what could only have been an Enderman. Didn't see him in the end, but damn it was creepy down there. o_o

I was just about to find a dungeon after hacking my way through tons of cobwebs, when 3 spiders raped me in a corner. :(

And my game was pretty laggy too, so it's definitely a big of some sort. Roll on official release!

I still have yet to find one NPC village.

I fell down a huge gorge and died in lava down there

and I love how creative mode is Minecraft Classic + Flying