Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Impressions, Thoughts, & Help Topic

Agent York

This damn final boss. How are you supposed to dodge when he shoots his arms off? I can't do that part at all without losing rings, it's too fast. And for some reason on this boss when you lose your rings they go flying for miles so they're really hard to get back.

Go to the very end of the arena and they won't even touch you, easy.

• Thumbs Up 2

You're not supposed to fight him in the exact way you do in Sonic 2. For starters, you can hit him at virtually any moment except when he momentarily shields himself with an arm.

Oh cool! Thanks SOAP, that helps a lot. I'll go back to this tomorrow.

Sean - Yeah, I got that bit, it's when he fires off his arms, you could jump them in Sonic 2 but in this they're too fast, so as SOAP advised I have to head to the other side of the room.

Edited by DistantJ

This damn final boss. How are you supposed to dodge when he shoots his arms off? I can't do that part at all without losing rings, it's too fast. And for some reason on this boss when you lose your rings they go flying for miles so they're really hard to get back.

The more you get hit, the farther and faster your rings will scatter. Its basically there to keep you from camping on the 1 ring rule into infinity.

As for his arms, he has a pretty obvious tell so when ever you see it all you really need to do is put some space between you and Eggy (the spindash works nicely). If you make the Doctor meteor down into the corners, then you will actually have enough space as to where Eggy's rocket arms won't have the range to hit you.

Go to the very end of the arena and they won't even touch you, easy.

or if you want to without running away you go right near it's feet after it slammed back down go to the feet and wait for it to fist attack you and it won't even go near you let alone touch you =) that what I do all the time heh :)

Edited by Shaddix

You know the fucking boosters actually slow you down when you're Super Sonic. :/

That reminds me of how speed shoes would actually slow Super Sonic down in Sonic 2.

You know the fucking boosters actually slow you down when you're Super Sonic. :/

That's the second reason why the (new) speed boosters are fail. They put Sonic at a set speed regardless of what speed he's already going in. The same thing happens constantly on Unleashed and only serves to make automation that much more annoying.

That's the second reason why the (new) speed boosters are fail. They put Sonic at a set speed regardless of what speed he's already going in. The same thing happens constantly on Unleashed and only serves to make automation that much more annoying.

Yeah, in Sonic 2 the boosters launched Sonic at HIS top speed instead of the set speed of the boosters. Also the speed boost in the classics lasted long as hell where in 4 it only last like 3 seconds. I assume that's why they put so many in a row in 4.

Man, I do enjoy the game, but so many things feel so wrong to me. :(

Yeah, in Sonic 2 the boosters launched Sonic at HIS top speed instead of the set speed of the boosters. Also the speed boost in the classics lasted long as hell where in 4 it only last like 3 seconds. I assume that's why they put so many in a row in 4.

Man, I do enjoy the game, but so many things feel so wrong to me. :(

I'm reminded of the area in LLZ1 with 3 boosters in a row on a vertical wall.

sonicep1youbastard.jpg

YOU BASTARD!

So close to that achievement then he does this...the first time he did this on one of my runs... DX

Edited by Jetronic

sonicep1youbastard.jpg

YOU BASTARD!

So close to that achievement then he does this...the first time he did this on one of my runs... DX

If you go all the way to the other side of the screen, he can't hurt you like that. Works for me at least.

If you go all the way to the other side of the screen, he can't hurt you like that. Works for me at least.

Mkay, I was watching out for the pink balls : P and then he shoots that D:

Again 3 hits away from winning, I decided to finish him after I got hit. >_>

Edited by Jetronic

The laser doesn't hurt you. You can jump right through it, just like the one the final boss has in Rush and Rush A. It's only the explosion where it hits the ground that hurts.

About time eh? only Hyper Sonic could do that before.

The laser doesn't hurt you. You can jump right through it, just like the one the final boss has in Rush and Rush A. It's only the explosion where it hits the ground that hurts.

3629475926_2789b2d037.jpg?v=0

• Thumbs Up 3

Which resulted in me panicking and jumping into the electric hand.

The bastard got the best of me XD

Which resulted in me panicking and jumping into the electric hand.

The bastard got the best of me XD

Hahaha, that sucks. Just bad luck like when you get yellow blue > yellow > blue > bomb with the Mad Gear boss. I was just wondering if you actually didn't realise that the laser was harmless as I've heard other people say "how am I supposed to get the trophy/achievement when he shoots that laser right across the screen?". Silly people, this is the third game with that attack.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who's rubbish at getting all the rings in the end scene? Any advice?

Also, going back to them after the console version, my god the special stage controls in the iPod version suck. I can't believe I managed to get all the emeralds on that version.

Edited by Mahzes

Also, going back to them after the console version, my god the special stage controls in the iPod version suck. I can't believe I managed to get all the emeralds on that version.

Is it the same as the PS3 (and presumebly Wii) version where the tilt controls just act as a steering wheel, serving the exact same purpose as the directional buttons but more cumbersome?

I bought it on PS3 for the tilt controls + HD combination that only it had, but the motion controls sucked. I guess it was just crazy talk to expect the stage to actually react to the angle of the controller exactly (as if you were holding the stage in your hands). 8I

I love motion controls, but only when they make sense and give the correct feedback.

Edited by JezMM

The special stages are actually a really good concept, but by no stretch are they designed to meet their potential. A little more precision in controls would be great. i.e., a small tilt of the controller/analogue stick should only rotate the stage slowly and a large one would result in a faster rotation. The problems are somewhat dodgy controls, no visible ring counter and too much bounce. Fix those, the they would have been rather than just good.

Edited by Blue Blood

Is it the same as the PS3 (and presumebly Wii) version where the tilt controls just act as a steering wheel, serving the exact same purpose as the directional buttons but more cumbersome?

Basically, yeah. The rotation isn't 1:1 though like you said, which is REALLY noticeable considering you're actually rotating the device and screen itself on the iPod version.

It's a lot more clunky and imprecise than button controls and there's a split-second lag between you actually tilting and it registering, which makes it all kinds of nightmarish.

Like I said, looking back at it, I have absolutely no idea how I even managed to get all the emeralds on the iPod version. I tried replaying them earlier and kept failing the second stage. So much easier on the console with D-Pad controls.

Admittedly, I was never a fan of the Sonic 1 special stages (too hard). These ones aren't my favourite either, but with D-Pad controls they're at least more reasonable.

I somehow get the impression they'll be using retooled Sonic 2 special stages for episode 2 (thank god). Continuing to use these ones would be a bit bleh.

Edited by Mahzes

Am I the only one who's rubbish at getting all the rings in the end scene? Any advice?

I'd appreciate some help with this too. I know the layout of the rings, but I always seem to miss one ring on one of the last two sets.

YES! I finally got all of the end scene rings and got the Super Sonic ending and Sonic head Avatar Award :D

The bit I kept having trouble with was the medium height rings you have to jump and get while also reaching the last platform with the same jump to get those last 3 rings. I'd always jump too early and miss one ring, but if you jump just after you pass the sunflower then you get all 3 and make the last platform for the last 3 rings just fine.

Here's a video that helps:

End sequence is at 06:25.

• Thumbs Up 1