Awoo.

Who here is nabbing the iPhone version?

azoo

You guys might find this interesting - once you've done Splash Hill Zone Act 1, you're free to do any level you want in any order you want, Mega Man style, except the bosses, which you have to complete all 3 acts in a Zone to unlock. It might be different on the console version though.

Plays really well, music is FANTASTIC, like brilliantly catchy, really feel good stuff. Sonic's model doesn't look great on the iPhone, kinda Sonic Rush looking, low poly and with a few rough edges and stuff. Takes a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it it's great. I dunno if physics-hounds will react differently but I honestly can't notice a difference, it feels like I'm playing a Sonic game.

EDIT: Oh, and, a lot of the speed boosters are gone now. There are a lot of sections where there were speed boosters in the videos I saw, even recent ones, where there aren't any in the game.

Edited by DistantJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great fun so far! Having no real problems with the controls, and the resolution is only an issue with the HUD on the iPhone 4. I only experienced a framedrop once, and that was when I was thrown very high into the sky. Smooth as silk other than that!

The special stages are a but daunting at first, but I was able to get an emerald the second time lying down in my bed! So just takes the initial try to get used to what's going on. I guess the main issue is you're not controlling Sonic, but the level itself. Still fun though!

I don't like how the game doesn't seem to play through uninterrupted though. Each time I finish and act or special stage, I'm taking to a menu where I can (seemingly) select ANY zone and play immediately, even if I haven't 'unlocked' it by playing it through the main game. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Either way, I love it! Was worth the wait.

Augh, this is going to be a long night!

One question for all the European "blokes" out there: Does the iOS version have a map or a menu screen?

Like with demo versions, you can pick to play any act of any level (bar the boss) in whatever order you feel like once you finish Splash Hill act 1

Controls are actually quite nice! the digital analogue sometimes gets a little confused initially if you wanted to go left or right but once you get going its fine.

Sonics up looking animation is adorable

Special stages are a tilt job, but very smooth. Your on a time limit though you can get 5 second boosts in the special stages. Once you get an emerald its displayed next to the act you got it in

I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it! :D

EDIT: Oh, and, a lot of the speed boosters are gone now. There are a lot of sections where there were speed boosters in the videos I saw, even recent ones, where there aren't any in the game.

How interesting, I wonder if we'll see this in the console version as well? And I was just starting to get used to them, too!

With the iPhone version now out and the console version coming out soon, when do you think we'll start to see the reviews spin-dashing in?

Aghhh hearing other people are playing it is testing my patience. MUST. STAY. STRONG.

There's not a free demo version available by any chance is there?

I just did the "dreaded mine kart" level

Seemed fine to me, all pits seem to have a spring at the bottom so you don't die in annoying fashion. Also lol jumping into a special stage ring on a mine kart

I am glad they replaced the level in the console versions though, this level is fine on iphone but I wouldn't want it on the 360 version

Just played through Splash Hill and i'm on Act 3 of Lost Labyrinth and I'm really enjoying it! Heck, I even liked the minecart stage (it's a lot easier than it looks). Is anyone else having trouble with a certain point of Act 3? I'm losing so many lives right now but that's probably just me being bad at the game :P

How interesting, I wonder if we'll see this in the console version as well? And I was just starting to get used to them, too!

I could be wrong, perhaps there is some more recent footage with less in but there are places I distinctly remember having speed boosters in videos where they aren't now, so...

There don't seem to be any DIMPS infamous level design problems - the only Advance/Rush style issue I've found are a few unexpected bottomless pits (remember in Advance 2 and 3, where you'd have bottomless pits which stretch all the way from the top of the course downwards? There are a few of those in this game too, but not as many as in Advance 3 (in my opinion they ruined that game).

By the way, I love this game! Can't wait for the PS3 version, because my only complaint here is the 3D models being a little sketchy and a few leaps of faith due to the small screen size.

Good to see folks are really enjoying the game, hopefully it'll put some of the naysayers to bed.

What am I saying? Of course they'll find something to be mad about. :V

Can't wait for more impressions.

Judging by that new gameplay video I posted (here it is again above in case anyone missed it at the bottom of the last page), it looks like this version didn't get any of the changes to the game at all. No map screen, no new running animation, no quicker wheel-o-feet, no running off screen at the end of an Act. That sucks. Still looks like a lot of fun though, that's the main thing :)

Hmmmm, judging by the video Shadzter posted the Iphone version didn't get any (or at least all of) the updates the console version got. We knew that act 2 of LLZ and CSZ were staying the same but you can see that the wheel legs are only showing up on downhills and when hitting a spring. I guess they only had time to fix the console version.

Edit: Shadzter the Ninja!

Edited by speedfreak

It's good to know that even with the iPhone version not having most of the significant changes that it's still a lot of fun. That makes me really excited for the consoles version.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's good to know that even with the iPhone version not having most of the significant changes that it's still a lot of fun. That makes me really excited for the consoles version.

>_>

<_<

Whhhhhooooaaaaaah!

*Shot*

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah, after hearing the Iphone version didn't get the updates I think I'd rather check out the consoles version.

See what I did there?

B)

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 8

Yeah, after hearing the Iphone version didn't get the updates I think I'd rather check out the consoles version.

See what I did there?

B)

That, was the Punniest thing I've ever heard. :v

I'll stop now.

• Thumbs Up 2

With the way the loops work in the iPhone version, players will have to find time to relax after all that spinning.

• Thumbs Up 6

Great. Now people are going to make excessive CONSOLES references just so they can score a few extra rep points. :P

Check out the consoles. Woah.

>_>

Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 8

Seemed fine to me, all pits seem to have a spring at the bottom so you don't die in annoying fashion. Also lol jumping into a special stage ring on a mine kart

Wait until you play as the "Super" Mine cart

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!

• Thumbs Up 1

Why can't it be midnight here? WHY! I want my Sonic 4! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!! How DARE you all get it before me! :angry:<_<:unsure::(please?

Wait until you play as the "Super" Mine cart

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!

Oh man, forgot about that. If you can do that then I'll definitely go out of my way to get this version. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

My god.....it worked. :blink:

Note to myself: Speak in only inane internet memes from now on. The internet eats it up.

On a serious note, I can't wait until S4 releases on Xbox Live next week. It's really awesome to hear such positive feedback on the version that was improved the least. That makes me really excited to see what the CONSOLES version holds.

Okay, I'll stop now. :P

• Thumbs Up 1