Awoo.

My Sonic, why so... RED?!

Hero of Legend

Whenever I hear "Barry," I think about that annoying blonde dude from Pokemanz.

UR DOIN IT WRONG

Chuckle.jpg

I curious as to why we have Barry though. He's probably just an alternate Sonic for multiplayer. As Prof J said though, that makes the system in Brawl absolutely stupid. And the same for ASR (S0L said that SEGA rejected the idea of colouring the characters differently for multiplayer). Maybe they just stopped being so uptight?

*HUD COMPARISON*

Poorly made in Paint in 2 minutes to showcase something.

You're seriously pointing THAT out? P2's rings and lives are on the right of the screen, and timer and score are shared. What you should be noting is the colour of the HUD. Even so , these pictures are from Amazon, and they get their pictures from press releases.

EDIT: Just to clarify, from that post I'm assuming you mean that it looks suspicious? Or you just mean that it's being shared, which lots of people have said already. That pic just made me notice how the timer is different though.

Edited by Blue Blood

Much as I like the look of that level (completly devoid of colours, anyone? Makes you think it might have some sort of plot relevance?), and much as I like the idea of co-op, this antenna-and-recolour implementation leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Remember, Sega; when Sonic co-ops, he co-ops with TAILS. :angry:

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay so.. I found this out through a friend and then saw this topic. I'm feeling really lazy at the moment so I'm gonna just copy/paste.

[9:27:39 PM] Doctor NK: >2-player in Sonic Colors

[9:27:39 PM] Doctor NK: WHOA

[9:27:40 PM] Doctor NK: WHAT

[9:27:50 PM] Chooch: fjsdklf What??

[9:27:54 PM] Doctor NK: B0040EIQNU.01.PT04._SCRMZZZZZZ_.jpg

[9:27:56 PM] Doctor NK: hfakdfufd

[9:28:24 PM] Doctor NK: >it's not tails

[9:28:28 PM] Doctor NK: FUCK YOU, SEGA.

[9:34:48 PM] Doctor NK: kids around the world

[9:34:51 PM] Doctor NK: are prepping their fathers

[9:34:53 PM] Doctor NK: to sue sega.

[9:37:19 PM] Chooch: I don't really know what to say about this I mean

[9:37:52 PM] Chooch: You message me all 'CO-OP' and I'm freaking out and then I read 'red Sonic'

[9:38:04 PM] Chooch: And then I just kinda sit there for a second

[9:39:30 PM] Chooch: Peplexed

[9:39:32 PM] Chooch: Confused

[9:39:35 PM] Chooch: And amused

[9:39:47 PM] Chooch: But at the end of it all

[9:40:02 PM] Chooch: HELL YEAH MULTIPLAYER

[9:40:07 PM] Chooch: I don't really care

[9:40:17 PM] Chooch: I can be red Sonic :3

[9:40:40 PM | Edited 9:40:50 PM] Chooch: And I'm going to call him Speedy

[9:41:30 PM] Doctor NK: i dont care either

[9:41:48 PM] Doctor NK: i mean lol red sonic but

[9:41:53 PM] Chooch: It's still pretty retarded that it's Speedy and not.. anyone else but

[9:41:55 PM] Doctor NK: multiplayer

[9:42:01 PM] Doctor NK: i mean

[9:42:04 PM] Chooch: Sonic Colors with multiplayer?

[9:42:07 PM] Doctor NK: how many characters from the sonic universe do we have

[9:42:08 PM] Doctor NK: i mean fuck.

[9:42:14 PM | Edited 9:42:22 PM] Doctor NK: and instead a red sonic?

[9:42:26 PM] Doctor NK: but

[9:42:26 PM] Doctor NK: hey

[9:42:31 PM] Doctor NK: this is going to be like

[9:42:34 PM] Doctor NK: the best sonic game since

[9:42:36 PM] Doctor NK: 2b

[9:42:48 PM] Chooch: Some people are suggesting it's a placeholder model

[9:42:59 PM] Doctor NK: lmao yeah that would be nice wouldn't it.

[9:43:10 PM] Chooch: But I don't know, maybe Sonic Team's that determined about 'Sonic only' that they'll throw in recolors

[9:43:25 PM] Chooch: I wouldn't put it past them

tl;dr Multiplayer is fucking awesome regardless of recolors.

UR DOIN IT WRONG

Chuckle.jpg

Ah yes, that Barry. I can't believe I forgot about the guy alot of us went around as on April fools day, good times. :V

e3soniccolors1277620762.jpg

Poorly made in Paint in 2 minutes to showcase something.

That shows a change with the gauge at the bottom. It's now transparent in favour of the energy bar being coloured instead of grey.

EDIT:

I don't see anything suspicious about the HUD placement.

You're seriously pointing THAT out? P2's rings and lives are on the right of the screen, and timer and score are shared. What you should be noting is the colour of the HUD. Even so , these pictures are from Amazon, and they get their pictures from press releases.

It looks suspicious. I am not opting to get my hopes up because it does look like a co-op online mode, but assuming makes an ass of you and me, it could as well be a time attack, some weird mode, I have no clue, but I wouldn't want to be set on one thing and for it to change to another. Hud is important here, it's obviously center and could be shared, but the timer is different as you said and I noticed too when examining, and while it kinda' cancels any multiplayer race mode, it really leaves it being time attack or co-op.

That or maybe replays? Like the antennas represent their robots and compares you and a friends time in the stage and a visualization? A level editor like some suggested? Just some really weird mode where you have to make both Sonic's survive to the end of the stage? I don't know.

I'll wait until we get some specific details or footage before getting too excited or dismayed, but this just goes to show how hesitant Sega's become about using other characters these days (at least in platformers). Rejecting some of them for Sonic 4 was one thing, but now they seem to be choosing a Sonic recolor over them.

Guess all those complaints really got to them.

I'll wait until we get some specific details or footage before getting too excited or dismayed, but this just goes to show how hesitant Sega's become about using other characters these days (at least in platformers). Rejecting some of them for Sonic 4 was one thing, but now they seem to be choosing a Sonic recolor over them.

Guess all those complaints really got to them.

Yeah I think we sort of brought this one upon ourselves. It does seem like the crazy ZOMG FRIENDZ R SUKK, DA SONIK RULZ sort of got to SEGA.

People yelling "Wherez mah fav character at?" was also a particular fear Yuji Naka had about making Sonic-only games. Maybe that explains the character roster in games like Heroes and '06.

Also, stuff like this only makes things worse:

Though funny, if Sega were to see it, they'd think: "Dewd, we're so doing the right thing by getting rid of the friends. Let's KEEP doing this forEVAR. :V"

-_-"

Edited by Ferno

It seems like SEGA took the same route as Valve with Portal 2. Release a game to the public, hide the multiplayer details.

-If this IS a metal Sonic, then I see 3 possible solutions:

1: As we all have already assumed, multiplayer or co-op, like the Shadow Androids in ShtH. The problem I see with this is the lack of a split screen.

2: Since it may be metal Sonic, then it may be a boss race, like in Sonic CD. The only problem I see with this is that Barry has a life system, then again, it would make for a harder, longer race.

3. Both 1&2 :D

1.) How could this be a new Metal Sonic? Sonic has the same attire.

2.) That's a boost gauge.

3.) How about this? Barry is in the game so two people can play as Sonic at the same time and not be stuck playing as the other characters that they don't like ala Smash Bros?

That or maybe replays?

That could be right. Since the online is guaranteed for leaderboards then it could mean you race against a ghost of another player and maybe the antenna is used to show distance?

Woooaahhh, check out the world completely devoid of colors! I actually like this stage a whole darn lot. The whole emptiness of it all is kinda trippy. Floating cube thingies are cool too.

So... good ol' Barry! Yeeaahhh Barry. Good times. Good times.

Hmm. Trying to guess what's going on in this picture. Looks like some multiplayer shenanigans. Not sure who to attribute the area to, though. My guess is that the Sonic Simulator is making a return and we get to control some good ol' Eggman-manufactured Sonic simulations through this odd void in space - awesome! I'll assume new levels can be unlocked for multiplayer use by either reaching that stage in the story mode or by collecting Special Rings. Extra unlockable characters for multiplayer use would be nice, too - but that seems like it would be unlikely, I'm afraid. Unlike Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight, it looks like 2P will be using the same gameplay as featured in 1P mode, and it would be a tad more difficult to make some more fully functional characters only for use in this mode.

I call yellow Sonic!

Edited by HunterTSF

Tsh. Player 2 obviously should've been Sonicman.

This all looks very interesting, though. I honestly never, ever touched Black Knight's multiplayer, but if Colours' multiplayer is as good as the rest of the game looks, I might have to drag a friend or two away from Call of Duty long enough to give it a try. The grey stage looks interesting too, although I suspect it'll either be a Lost Prologue-esque training stage or multiplayer-only. It looks like it'd make an interesting final boss arena, but I can't imagine multiplayer happening there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something tells me the entire level will change color at some point.

Just a thought. ;)

Something tells me the entire level will change color at some point.

Just a thought. ;)

Just when you thought the seizure educing time traveling in Sonic CD wasn't colorful enough.

So many twists and turns with this game. Rather than try to figure out exactly what I am seeing here, I am just gonna pray that the stage they are on is not some test beta and will actually make it into the end result. For a game like Colors, having a black canvas stage could be really cool. The color of the stage could dictate a wisp power or maybe it is just some intermediate dimension that Eggman has already deprived of its spectrum.

….

OMG CO-OP *droolz*

Reasons for recolour?

Child 1: Hey, you wanna pway Sawnik Colourz racing/co-op wiff me?

Child 2: Yeah, sure!!

Child 1: OK...*boots the game etc* OK......I'm Sawnik, you be tailz

Child 2: No fair....I wanna be Sawnik, Tails is SO uncool!

And there you have it.

If every person in the race is just a different coloured Sonic, there will be no arguing over who gets to be Sonic.

Of course, there should be other characters for people who want variety, but when the same character is picked, it should turn into a recolour.

Usually, in Online the Sonic on your screen is blue, and all the others are recolours. To the other player, in Online, he is Sonic and you're the recolour.

Everybody wins.

Things are different in split-screen. Then P1 would be Sonic, and P2 etc would be recolours.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it doesn't have split-screen, that doesn't mean it's not versus, it could be ONLINE versus.

Anyway, the textures DO make it look like a test area, not something out of the game, I have a friend in game design and a friend who teaches game design who have shown me test-levels for games and they nearly always look like that, however if they were just testing different coloured Sonics etc., they wouldn't have a second boost bar and lives.

There's a possibility this could be one of many Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions (or VR Missions in the US) style bonus levels.

Interested to see what this turns out to be.

Oh and of course every character would need to be a recolour! It'd be ridiculously unbalanced if they used characters who all have different speed, jump height and different moves (and c'mon, everybody on here would be so pissed if they included Knuckles and Tails but didn't give them flying and gliding moves, and most people on here would be even more pissed if they included Shadow), unless it was specifically a racing game in which case there'd be the whole strategy of picking your character etc, but that's not something which time should be spent on on a 1 player game with multiplayer extras.

Edited by DistantJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

Children playing Video games said:Child 1: Hey, you wanna pway Sawnik Colourz racing/co-op wiff me?

Child 2: Yeah, sure!!

Child 1: OK...*boots the game etc* OK......I'm Sawnik, you be tailz

Child 2: No fair....I wanna be Sawnik, Tails is SO uncool!

No. Impossible. Everyone loves Tails :/

Oh and of course every character would need to be a recolour! It'd be ridiculously unbalanced if they used characters who all have different speed, jump height and different moves (and c'mon, everybody on here would be so pissed if they included Knuckles and Tails but didn't give them flying and gliding moves, and most people on here would be even more pissed if they included Shadow), unless it was specifically a racing game in which case there'd be the whole strategy of picking your character etc, but that's not something which time should be spent on on a 1 player game with multiplayer extras.

Then they could've added gliding and flying? And I wouldn't be all too angry if they couldn't fly or glide. If I recall they couldn't in Rivals and it was just fine. Of course it would be better if they could, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they couldn't. And also, only whiny bitches would whine about Shadow being in.

• Thumbs Up 1