Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 hour ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

thunderbolt_sonic_channel_by_adambryceth

Missed out this fluffball

That's nice. But where da fuq my bae at?

That preview page is available on the Archie app. Weird seeing Dulcy so...trim.

Anyone else still not have issue 280? Archie told me they were having a printing problem with the issue, which is weird, considering other readers apparently got their copies...

8 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

That preview page is available on the Archie app. Weird seeing Dulcy so...trim.

Anyone else still not have issue 280? Archie told me they were having a printing problem with the issue, which is weird, considering other readers apparently got their copies...

I haven't got mine either, but I've been having different issues with Archie all together recently. I renewed my subscription in August, and they didn't add the issues to my current run like they said they would, rather they started a whole second run. And when I went to complain they said that they didn't have my order on record, despite me making the complaint not 2 weeks after renewal.

23 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

That preview page is available on the Archie app.

Ah, I see

23 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I don't have it either. And I'm pretty sure my subscription was going to be extended because of Boom's cancellation, so it must be something on Archie's end.

is the new issue done in a rush or something? peppers' pencils normally look stiff but this is ridiculous

also meh on new dulcy. manages to both not really look like a sonic enough (why the fuck doesn't she have a separate colour muzzle, that's like a most basic cheat) and it's just boring that the solution to making her a sonic is "change her body type completely". If Eggman weren't a Sonic character the comics'd adapt him by making him look like his 06 design at this point. Thin him up and suck up any fun in the art style.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

is the new issue done in a rush or something? peppers' pencils normally look stiff but this is ridiculous

also meh on new dulcy. manages to both not really look like a sonic enough (why the fuck doesn't she have a separate colour muzzle, that's like a most basic cheat) and it's just boring that the solution to making her a sonic is "change her body type completely". If Eggman weren't a Sonic character the comics'd adapt him by making him look like his 06 design at this point. Thin him up and suck up any fun in the art style.

So, that's what looked off to me! The muzzle. I mean, I like this new design better than the ugly as fuck original Dulcy, but it still looks very bland for a Sonic character.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, The KKM said:

Looks like standard Peppers to me, he just doesn't have an inker and colorist who compliment him.

In Shadow Fall, Amish and Herms are what saved his art.

As for Dulcy, I don't like the character enough to care about how she's drawn, but Hesse made her look much better on the cover. I'm chalking it up to Pepper's art being the problem.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't really care about Dulcy to wonder about her design, it's better than the old one but that's not saying a whole lot. Nothing that makes me go wow or urg.

Also asked my LCS to get a copy of Mega Drive #1 for me, it will make a change from my usual Judge Dredd stuff I get from them.

Just now, Mister X said:

Someone got 281, it seems, since I found this. I cropped it a bit since I wasn't sure if full pages are allowed. Anyway, here's Dulcy

Hide contents

Dulcy2.jpg

well she looks overall nice... i like the outfit design on her chest but dunno..  i think i miss part of her old long neck...

i hope it appears on the next pages.. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

I do feel they should have kept at least a bit of her long neck and pot belly. I get Dulcy stood out like a sore thumb even among the Satam cast, but there seems no point giving a freakin' dragon the exact same body structure as everyone else. Even something closer to the less conventional game designs like Vector or Big would have been a huge improvement.

Concerning the wallpapers, I had a bit of a go with that myself (though during the old styled backgrounds). I don't think my Bunnie is one of my best though:

s_c_bunnie_redesigned_wallpaper_by_e_122

• Thumbs Up 7

My big problem with Dulcy is that Vector's face style really looks off with her within the pages. Like, sometimes it'd be blatant and just really not nice to look at, especially in front shots. I mean, Jian the Tiger's a Blaze clone in the face as well, but she manages to look less blatant and off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why does the comic keep flip-flopping over whether they're allowed to show the classic designs or not? Last issue it was so small one could easily excuse it as an oversight, but here we have two full flashbacks featuring classic Sonic and Tails respectively.

I'm not complaining mind, but its still confusing P;

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, were you lot talking about that one page? Shit, uh, forget you read that and hit the spoiler box instead.

-What you saw in the preview is what you get of Silver Sonic in action. It's a very talky issue.

-Sally asks where her team is, but Dulcy is reluctant to bring them in as they're new. Sally insists that they meet, while also looking for Zonshen, the Key Guardian.

-At the Shijin Shrine, we're introduced to them; Jian the Tiger, Bunker the Tortoise and Cinder the Pheasant. Jian is the cool, stoic type it seems (and is an ex Egg Soldier, from Stormy's army specifically), Bunker is presumably quite formal as she's the shrine matron, and Cinder is hyper as all-out and apparently wants to become a phoenix...and has a non-standard Sonic beak design. It's not the reference to Kung Fu Panda that people wanted, but it gave me strong vibes of Sonic the Comic's Ultimax (Jian more in the clothing).

-They and Dulcy explain how they usually make offerings to a phoenix "lesser spirit", but it's been acting weird lately so they've been avoiding it. It's the only reason the Egg Army haven't taken over the temple as well.

-It's weird how Dulcy is shown to be quite adhering to traditions but then refers to the phoenix and its ties to legend as "some prophecy junk [her] mom keeps going on about". On the other hand, nice to see it's the mother for a change, carrying over the SatAM dynamic.

-More people won't help because of clan wars, which is also stopping them taking on the phoenix. Cinder was from the Southern Pyre Clan, while Dulcy ran away to Westside Island because of the wars. We have a flashback to her when she was younger (it was about the time Sally met Lupe as well because she has the same clothing), and she learns from Sonic how you don't have to be part of a clan.

-Because of this, they want to change traditions, but it's a slow process apparently. The Egg Army has had the swiftest change, preaching unity through strength, and that anyone is welcome as long as they work hard. That's why Jian became an Egg Soldier initially.

-Sonic decides that the best course of action is to get the Gaia Key and then drive back the Egg Army later.

-In the village, they can't find Zonchen anywhere. Cream and Cinder run back to say that they've found out he went to the temple grounds that morning, so they make tracks.

-At the Egg Base, Conquering Storm and a Soldier are looking over the banged up Silver Sonic, while talking about the plan. They let Zonshen into the temple ground as a lure for the heroes so the corrupted Phoenix can destroy them.

-After the preview to homesick, Bunnie, Tails and Teanchi's family try to convince him to help them rebuild the home, but he's more upset over the lineage lost as it was in the family a long time.

-We get a flashback to Bunnie's past as she explains how Rosie and Chuck found her in Royal Hills Zone as a toddler, and Tails and Muttski cheer her up after her limb replacement by saying how they want to support her. The message is that while his home is gone, he still has his family. Also Tails and Muttski have black eyes here, but it is close to the 25th anniversary so I wonder if it's gone lax for this time again like it did around the 20th.

-This convinces him, and he asks Kaeo to get the Key out of the vault.

-After a bit of celebration from getting the last Gaia Key (apparently Bunnie was getting depression at night...even though we weren't really shown that), Tails realises that Angel Island would still be in danger so goes to contact Amy.

-Apparently it''ll be a close call since she and Knuckles still only have three shards, so Knuckles plans to go on a mission for two more that night, and it turns out that Mighty and Ray (and Moss) are along for the ride.

-There's a page about the world of Sonic, giving information on each of the places visited (the Unleashed places plus Mobotropolis and Meropis). Mobotropolis and Meropis have official flags.

-There's concept art of Dulcy and Conquering Storm, which incorrectly refers to this issue as the latters return (even if we don't count the piddly cameo in Eggman's Dozen part 1, she had more to do in ED part 2 than she does here).

-The fanart is back to a large section and one off-panel.

-Some tidbits in the Sonic Grams. It re-iterates that Cream has a big role to play in the resolution to the Shattered World Crisis, but there are no immediate plans for a solo arc (it does encourage people to write in if they want to see it).

-Apparently the Keys to Victory arc was about showing how the crisis has affected every day lives and hopefully introduces a human and relatable element to the situation.

-Shadow will be playing a huge role in the Shattered World Crisis resolution as well, pointing to seeing it in Shattered. Those who were hoping that Shadow would be a minor part in it will probably be disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 4

I just remembered Dulcy's mum was in SatAM, meaning her mum here could very well be the same character.

But...was her name (Sabine) from the show too, or was that comic-only?

Pretty sure Sabina was named that in SatAm as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Homesick only has nine pages, making this a nineteen-page comic.

Well, 281 was quite a snore.

Spoiler

- Artwork passable at best.

- We start... in the middle of the battle Sonic vs Egg Army for a sixth issue in a row. We could start a drinking game. Silver Sonic survives whole 3 pages this time. In that speed he might actually be a threat one day. I do wonder what they planning on Mecha Sonic. It would be weird if they left him out.

- It's a sin putting dragon in your world and making it boring. I never liked a Dulcy and this version keeps in tradition. Funny enough she has very little in common with the Satam Dulcy, at least personality wise. Her team is boring, but nicely design,

- Whatever Chip realized in previous issue, i guess it wasn't that important, seeing how quiet he is today;

- Back-up is ...meh. Old man cries over house and realizes that people are more important, carry on.

I like Bunnie, cyborg with fancy accent be is cooler then another tech guy or french, but character-wise she is the blandest of the team. She's tough, good hearted and cheerful, that's all. It that story supposed to make her more interesting, it didn't work for me.

Last time I was this bored was at the very beginning of the Preboot, but I blamed chaos of rewriting everything (plus re-establishing team for the new crowd). Here...I just wait for Panic in the Sky.

• Thumbs Up 2

Good issue. Thoughts in the spoiler tab.

Spoiler
  • It's nice to see Dulcy back, and for me, it nice to see her for the first time. I came into the comics around Endangered Species & Worlds Collide, so I didn't get to see her in the old universe, but it's nice to see her in the new universe.
  • I really like the tie-in they made with the Four Symbols of China as the members of Dulcy's team: White Tiger of the West, Black Turtle of the North, Vermillion Bird of the South, and Azure Dragon of the East). I wonder what the center represents in that scroll; in the myths, it's supposed to be the "Yellow Dragon of the Center", but it looks like it could be either a Golden Phoenix or a White Dragon. I don't really know.
  • Dulcy's and Bunnie's backstories were nice.
  • Can't wait to see Knuckles and Mighty team up. Hoping there is a minor reference to Knuckles' Chaotix in the next issue.
  • Thumbs Up 6

The only true problem in this issue is that the Tornado in the comic is colored blue instead of the superior red color scheme!

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Toby said:

The only true problem in this issue is that the Tornado in the comic is colored blue instead of the superior red color scheme!

You have an enemy for the rest of your life.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You have an enemy for the rest of your life.

No accounting for taste I suppose! 8D

I think I'll hold off until the whole arc blows over for 281&282 my opinions that is

Edited by Akessel92

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Why does the comic keep flip-flopping over whether they're allowed to show the classic designs or not? Last issue it was so small one could easily excuse it as an oversight, but here we have two full flashbacks featuring classic Sonic and Tails respectively.

I'm not complaining mind, but its still confusing P;

I mean, the only thing I have a small irk with is how inconsistent the whole black eyes thing is with those who have colored irises. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Classic Sonic's design even tho I prefer the characters with colored irises, but there's a kind of awkwardness to it. Whatev's tho, it's easy to get over it. It's good to see they not barred from the design anymore tho.

And I know I've said this before, but can I just reiterate how awesome it is that this world is mixed with mobians and humans (mostly) mixed in the same countries instead of just Sonic and his friends in a world full of just humans (or Eggman being the only human in a world full of anthros/mobians)?

The issue isn't as exciting as I expected - we're just rushing to the final act, and all it's doing is reestablishing backstories, but at least it didn't feel as rushed as the previous issue and stands adequately. I'm just waiting to see Conquering Storm in action. I'm even more happy to hear that Shadow's gonna play a big part in the final act of this adaptation!

• Thumbs Up 1

Right. I definitely would say it's better than #280 was, but it's not quite what I would call good. It's blatantly just there to give backstory exposition, but at least the backstory exposition is more engaging this time.