Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 hour ago, Mister X said:

Got 281, but no 280.

Same here.  After I got 281, I contacted Archie about 280.  They got back to me today and said 280 and 281 were shipped from their printers at the same time, so 280 should be in soon.  (Thought it was really good timing when I went out for the mail right after that and saw a new issue in, but nope, only Universe 85.)

Also, wow, 1000 pages.  That's pretty crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

just got issues 281 and 85 in the mail today my self feels like i haven't gotten 280 myself though

Some tidbits from the Letter from the Editor:

Spoiler

-The tentacles on Abyss's head are enhanced and can shock opponents. She uses her status as Egg Boss to plunder the oceans to find treasure.

-Maw is " possibly the most enigmatic" Egg Boss. He's obsessed with perfection and robots, he craves knowledge, and he will do whatever it takes to change the world to his ideals.

-Akhlut will purposely agitate foes to create confrontation.

• Thumbs Up 6

7 minutes ago, Mister X said:

Some tidbits from the Letter from the Editor:

Hide contents

-The tentacles on Abyss's head are enhanced and can shock opponents. She uses her status as Egg Boss to plunder the oceans to find treasure.

-Maw is " possibly the most enigmatic" Egg Boss. He's obsessed with perfection and robots, he craves knowledge, and he will do whatever it takes to change the world to his ideals.

-Akhlut will purposely agitate foes to create confrontation.

Love how making Maw mysterious draws a likely intentional parallel to thylacine's status.  Akhlut sounds as though he's taken a page from Sonic.  Was it just those three Vin talked about? [/spoiler

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, QuantumEdge said:

Hide contents

Love how making Maw mysterious draws a likely intentional parallel to thylacine's status.  Akhlut sounds as though he's taken a page from Sonic.  Was it just those three Vin talked about? [/spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah, just those three, since they're the newest ones (well, new design in Akhlut's case)

Tundra is confused!

Tundra used Frost Breath!

Akhlut is frozen solid!

I'm behind an issue

• Thumbs Up 2

So many hidden comments...when will my pre-ordered copy arrive n the UK already??

2 hours ago, Mister X said:

Was almost done, and there was a stupid blackout all of a sudden. Posting a shorter version in increments just in case.

Reveal hidden contents

-Eggman gets saved by Axel. Eggman suspects the Twins are conjuring monsters. Eggman is surprised Axel rescued him, and Axel gives a little speech about how his gang looks out for each other even if they hate each other.

-Abyss is attempting to shut down the back-up generator while Kukku fights monsters. She's unable to do anything, so Kukku throws a bunch of bombs at the generator and blows it up.

-Hood and Conquering are battling the Witchcarters (Carrotia fires dark energy carrot-shaped projectiles, a nice nod to Skypatrol), but the trio is still strong because Tundra and Akhlut haven't shut down the generator. Akhlut uses his psychic wave things to attack Tundra, but Tundra manages to stop him by freezing him with... ice breath. Eggman calls and gives a paraphrased version of Axel's speech, adding that he'll lock them up as well as their soldiers if they fail. They stop ("But this isn't over") and shut it down.

-With that down, the Witchcarters are weakened, allowing Conquering to bring them down. Hood explains that they're actually mind-controlled (one of the wizards' powers, along with crystalmancy and shape-shifting.). He uses his vertigo-inducers to free them from the mind control, and Bearenger swears they'll get revenge on Wendy.

-Clove breaks Thunderbolt out of her armor to save her from being crushed. After a narrow escape, Clove tells Thunderbolt that she doesn't get to judge her sister because she chose Cassia's way of life for her (quietly adding that she couldn't bear to let her go). Thunderbolt reminds Clove that she should be worshiping Eggman every waking moment, but Clove manages to get out of it by saying that Thunderbolt is clearly more worthy of Eggman's attention. Then they shut down the defenses.

-Neph and Maw are dealing with crystallized robots. Maw tells Neph to take down the control tower while he uses a "trick." Using some weird... energy... wave... thing, Maw wipes them out. Neph notices that even the animals are gone and asks how Maw did it. Maw says his modifications are experimental and confidential, adding that "But don't worry -- the beauty of those robots is that those little animals will live forever." 

-The Twins are at the center spire. Wally says that he'll use the energy to restore his magic (and Wendy comments that he'll finally stop whining about it). Wally begins the process by calling upon the "dark god": "The ancient ways are not forgotten! Your loyal servants ask for your blessing. Rekindle the fire within me -- Ixis!" Wendy begins to laugh at Wally's mistake and informs him that it's Dark Gaia's energy, not Ixis. Wally yells at Wendy to stop lecturing him, reminding her that she "corrupted" the old ways and barters with their enemy. Wendy gets annoyed and says that technology is a tool, much like wands and totems ("And Dr. Eggman is your sworn enemy, not mine."), and that she's only helping him because he's family. He tries to summon the power again, but fails because it was shut down.

-Wendy realizes that she can only call Badniks individually now and that her link with her Witchcarters is severed. Eggman, the Egg Bosses, and the freed Witchcarters suddenly appear, ready to confront them. Wendy, however, reminds "Eggy" that she can summon Badniks individually, and she also takes control of the Witchcarters again since they're in range. Finally, she calls upon Crystal Sonic, a crystallized Metal. That's it for the story.

There's concept art for Abyss, Maw, and Akhlut in the back. Two Off-Panels again, the first one's okay, the second one is kinda dumb. The end.

All done. Had ANOTHER blackout, so it took longer than I intended. Sorry it's so sloppy, I was trying to type it up as quickly as I could.

Wow, that's darn fast. Wonder if there are any others got it early? Thank you for the spoilers btw.

Spoiler

A little disappointed by the WitchCarters simply being mind-controlled. I am assuming they will still be manipulated or persuaded by Wendy to stay on her side but wow, less then a quarter of the villains are actually loyal to their leader. That's unexciting... I want more loyal members acting by their own will, no more "I'm forced to obey" characters...

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Why would he be forbidden from interacting with the SatAMers exactly? That's certainly a new one...

I never thought he was being FORBIDDEN to interact with them. Maybe he just so happen to not? Sonic called him from Sky Patrol after World Unite with everyone inside, so they can communicate if they wanted to. Shadow has no reason to interact with them now. Even in the game Shadow doesn't interact with people unless he needs to. 

58 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

How long until someone chimes in that he still doesn't understand the plot and characters of Unleashed?

Picking up the tiny tiny minor details and making them bigger get a "oh my gosh he knows the story so much!!" but ignoring and tearing apart the general flow, good theme and main points of the story that makes the game nice is totally ok? What the heck man.

• Thumbs Up 3

If I knew it was gonna be a thing for everyone to argue about, I honestly wouldn't have posted anything. I just thought it was a neat tidbit I hadn't known otherwise.

I'll know better than to post anything next time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Toby said:

If I knew it was gonna be a thing for everyone to argue about, I honestly wouldn't have posted anything. I just thought it was a neat tidbit I hadn't known otherwise.

I'll know better than to post anything next time.

I don't think you said anything wrong. You just pointed out the details Ian put in and thought they were neat. That I'm sure many will agree. Ar least I agree that its neat.

SBR2's comment was the problem here. It sounded like they were saying his adaption of small detail totally excuses his bad handling of the bigger main story, mocking those who were upset of the adaption.

• Thumbs Up 3

Page Nr. 1000!

34 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

tumblr_o75pbc6Mam1usdohpo1_1280.jpg

Was this posted yet?

I think it's cool. A little bit world building.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope this issue settles the question of,

Spoiler

"Is Ixis a Penders term???"

once and for all

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Super CC14 RPG said:

Also got the issue today. Off-Panels:

Hide contents

v4rm07.jpg

25aow76.jpg

Spoiler

I like the reference to Colors in the first one

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Super CC14 RPG said:

Hide contents

v4rm07.jpg

25aow76.jpg

Looking at Eric's panel, it looks like my take on his 'humour' earlier was spot on as usual. I mean really, ""Metal Sonic" sounds so tough and mean!", "Well played", does Eric not know that brevity is the soul of wit?

Heck, I would have taken a 'Crystal Pepsi' joke over this. What exactly qualified Eric for this job exactly? Is he someone who actually did something funny once and is just really bad at doing kids stuff? I've actually chuckled at some of Pontac and Graff's stuff but Eric seems to take even the most feeble joke and ruin it.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Mister X said:

Got 281, but no 280.

He was doing his own thing back at the GUN base or whatever, watching the fights.

They wanted to connect Shadow Fall with Chaos Caper and have a fight between Sonic's two main rivals. He didn't talk much with Relic (though seven lines is a lot, honestly) because he was busy talking with the major characters and fighting Eclipse and/or Knuckles most of the time. 

They wanted a shock "death", and the cast was already full enough with the FFs, Knuckles, Sticks, the Maverick Hunters, the Robot Masters, Mega Man, Break Man, Roll, Dr. Light, etc. They used it as a chance to have the comic-exclusives do things, since they didn't appear in Worlds Collide.

They just haven't had a chance to have him talk to the FFs yet. The FFs are primarily in the main book, while Shadow appears almost entirely in Universe these days (because he's popular), hunting aliens and stuff. There's really no need for them to talk right now.

I know, but why couldn't he participate , wans't the prize something valuable iirc that gun might have wanted, I dunno I might have sent that guy we couldn't stop so hard, we had to hire him out to get it. 

Now I understand right, shadow himself was never in sonic the fighters, he would have to be a time traveler, that said with emeril just being shard now, I sort of doubt they would do a full on proper sonic battle thing. I wish they would, I would by the fuck out of that, but sonic battle seems like one of those things that already went down , simular to shadow's own game. So as it sands, it was an opportunity missed, you can say " he was doing his own thing" if you want to, but its only a matter of " and shadow was there for whatever the fuck reason " on a script to make that happen and most folks wouldn't really question it. 

Before I re anger myself about worlds collide, ti'm just going to simply state maybe the cast wouldn't have been so full if they hadn't have made the dumb decision of having comic book characters... the thing that are the least relevant in a video game crossoever , relevant or at least attempted to. I would have rather seen shadow fight zero or blaze fight dhalsim, or fei long or ken for several pages than most of the dumb shit that went down in that comic. And that comic acknowledges Vjoe was a thing , capcom doesn't even really do that anymore. 

Eh i dunno as I mentioned before... shadow the hedgehog the game, the legend , the myth, the damned forth chaos emerald... happened in that time line. Meaning they have context for that having had happened, which means... that I dunno I know knuckles ain't a blabber mouth, but he ain't the most secretive person, nor is he signing wavers, the idea of the aliens that almost successfully devoured an entire planet coming back, should have people going nuts. I not saying people would instantaneously know but when knuckles explains how that emerald broke... that's going to come out, and I dunno alien invasion might be a big enough issue to get someone to talk to shadow... or at least the gun general.

Like people like to go " oh shadow the hedgehog its nothing its whatever" but the end of that game, the canon ending is whole cities devoured with a giant as tumor ship dug into the ground releasing gas poisoning the entire world, so it can devour it whole, that's some serious shit. They literally almost died, that is one of the closest to actual death situations in all of sonic, they are literally about to dye in the final level they are choking.  Rouge freaking the fuck out on the alien space shit and the gun soilders treating shadow weird is the most appropriate reaction. Even relic freaked the fuck out when she heard the name. So i dunno i feel like if that conversation happens, it needs to happen like... soon

39 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I know, but why couldn't he participate , wans't the prize something valuable iirc that gun might have wanted, I dunno I might have sent that guy we couldn't stop so hard, we had to hire him out to get it. 

Now I understand right, shadow himself was never in sonic the fighters, he would have to be a time traveler, that said with emeril just being shard now, I sort of doubt they would do a full on proper sonic battle thing. I wish they would, I would by the fuck out of that, but sonic battle seems like one of those things that already went down , simular to shadow's own game. So as it sands, it was an opportunity missed, you can say " he was doing his own thing" if you want to, but its only a matter of " and shadow was there for whatever the fuck reason " on a script to make that happen and most folks wouldn't really question it. 

Before I re anger myself about worlds collide, the cast was full of who? A bunch of characters who largely did nothing and comic book exclusive characters, you know those characters people aren't there for during a video game crossoever. You know that shadow zero fight teased in the poster, nah fuck that see sally and antione do shit you know those guys. I'm to going to stop myself, but it was dumb, it was dumb and bad and actually no one liked it. 

Eh i dunno as I mentioned before... shadow the hedgehog the game, the legend , the myth, the damned forth chaos emerald... happened in that time line. Meaning they have context for that having had happened, which means... that I dunno I know knuckles ain't a blabber mouth, but he ain't the most secretive person, nor is he signing wavers, the idea of the aliens that almost successfully devoured an entire planet coming back, should have people going nuts. I know saying people would instantaneously know but when knuckles explains how that emerald broke... that's going to come out, and I dunno alien invasion might be a big enough issue to get someone to talk to shadow... or at least the gun general. 

Like people like to go " oh shadow the hedgehog its nothing its whatever" but the end of that game, the canon ending is whole cities devoured with a giant as tumor ship dug into the ground releasing gas poisoning the entire world, so it can devour it whole, that's some serious shit. They literally almost died, that is one of the closest to actual death situations in all of sonic, they are literally about to dye in the final level they are choking.  Rouge freaking the fuck out on the alien space shit and the gun soilders treating shadow weird is the most appropriate reaction. Even relic freaked the fuck out when she heard the name. So i dunno i feel like if that conversation happens, it needs to happen like... soon

Why would GUN want a Chaos Emerald, considering the Freedom Fighters need all of them to put the world back together?

And Shadow will show up when he's needed. But, like it or not, the book's called "SONIC the Hedgehog". The spotlight stays on him and those directly involved with him. Quite frankly, I think Shadow's gotten more than enough time in the limelight lately in Universe alone.

• Thumbs Up 8

4 hours ago, Super CC14 RPG said:

Reveal hidden contents

v4rm07.jpg

25aow76.jpg

Can Archie just...get rid of Eric Esquevel already? Pontac and Graff are overbearing, but at least they TELL a joke before ruining it.

Really, I can't recall the last time I've found an Off Panel funny. From any of the writers. Lamar Wells deserves better material to draw than this.

• Thumbs Up 4

If Shadow's popular to the point that he shows up in Sonic Universe nearly every other story arc...maybe a new comic is in order?

15 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

If Shadow's popular to the point that he shows up in Sonic Universe nearly every other story arc...maybe a new comic is in order?

The same could apply to Knuckles :P

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

To add on to something Forte-Metallix was saying, GUN seems to be deferring and aiding the Freedom Fighters since they're the ones trying to fix the Shattered World. Team Dark are cleaning up threats not directly involved with Sonic's quest, but are still a problem because of the planet's fragile state. The Black Arms are a big deal. Breezie hoarding a Emerald and putting up as a prize that Sonic and friends could easily obtain isn't really of much interest to them.

36 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I'd be all for this, except, well...I'm not sure how long a third series would last, considering 1) Archie's current troubles and 2) Boom's and Mega Man's fates (which may or may not be related to point one, not sure if we know anything concrete about that).

• Thumbs Up 3