Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I thought they strictly only got rid of Penders's creations, though? Was Lightening Lynx created by Penders?

They got rid of everyone that wasn't written by Ian (and some that were if they had links to off-limit characters or violated mandates) or pre-existed in other media. Lightning Lynx was Scott Fulop.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't Scott Fulop side with Penders with his little war against Archie? probably the reason why if i'm recalling right.

And yet there's Conquering Storm still, despite her direct ties to Lightning Lynx.

A character's backstory can be changed. A full character can't.

True.
So, I guess no more Dr. Finitevus then, either?

Yeah, wish the same could've been applied to Shard. <_<

Yeah, wish the same could've been applied to Shard. <_<

There's a difference. Conquering Storm is still a character Ian created, so even with a changed backstory, Penders would have no leg to stand on when attempting to claim anything about her. However, because of Shard's ties to a power crystal, Archie/Sega don't want to risk it, as stupid as that is.

• Thumbs Up 4

There's a difference. Conquering Storm is still a character Ian created, so even with a changed backstory, Penders would have no leg to stand on when attempting to claim anything about her. However, because of Shard's ties to a power crystal, Archie/Sega don't want to risk it, as stupid as that is.

Penders shouldn't have a damn leg to stand on, in regards to Shade and the Dark Brotherhood either and, yet, here we are.  -_____-
*sigh*

• Thumbs Up 4

Didn't power gems/power crystals/whatever they're called come from the Western version of the Knuckles Chaotix story? I though the actual reason was because Shard was based on a specific, Archie-exclusive version of Metal Sonic created by someone other than Sega or Ian. It's still playing it extremely safe, but it makes sense according to the same reasoning as Scourge...

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch
  • Thumbs Up 2

Didn't power gems/power crystals/whatever they're called come from the Western version of the Knuckles Chaotix story? I though the actual reason was because Shard was based on a specific, Archie-exclusive version of Metal Sonic created by someone other than Sega or Ian. It's still playing it extremely safe, but it makes sense according to the same reasoning as Scourge...

Scourge was fun, but I always thought he was very obsolete. The whole Anti-Freedom Fighters bit from the old comics was extremely uninspired and dumb, in my opinion, and Scourge (while a big improvement over just being "Anti-Sonic") was still just kind of a relic of that, I think. We had Metal Sonic and Shadow, by the time he came along. There was no need for anymore speedy, hedgehog, rival doppelgangers at that point.

Scourge was fun, but I always thought he was very obsolete. The whole Anti-Freedom Fighters bit from the old comics was extremely uninspired and dumb, in my opinion, and Scourge (while a big improvement over just being "Anti-Sonic") was still just kind of a relic of that, I think. We had Metal Sonic and Shadow, by the time he came along. There was no need for anymore speedy, hedgehog, rival doppelgangers at that point.

Metal only really acts out of Eggman's will. Shadow, while a rival, always had noble intentions at heart. What set Scourge apart was that his only allegiance was to himself and his goals were purely selfish and self-serving. To me, Scourge was the only "rival" character that was a legitimate "evil twin" for Sonic. While I have no real defense for the other Anti characters (save Buns, Miles, Rosey, and Kintobor, they were cool), I thought the whole concept of having other versions of the heroes without their nobility or inhibitions was an interesting one that was worth exploring. Just another element of the old universe that I thought made it unique IMO.

On a side note, another reason the reboot bums me out is that what I felt was lead-up to a confrontation between Scourge and the Destructix and Miles and the Suppression Squad is never gonna play out.

• Thumbs Up 2

Metal only really acts out of Eggman's will. Shadow, while a rival, always had noble intentions at heart. What set Scourge apart was that his only allegiance was to himself and his goals were purely selfish and self-serving. To me, Scourge was the only "rival" character that was a legitimate "evil twin" for Sonic. While I have no real defense for the other Anti characters (save Buns, Miles, Rosey, and Kintobor, they were cool), I thought the whole concept of having other versions of the heroes without their nobility or inhibitions was an interesting one that was worth exploring. Just another element of the old universe that I thought made it unique IMO.

On a side note, another reason the reboot bums me out is that what I felt was lead-up to a confrontation between Scourge and the Destructix and Miles and the Suppression Squad is never gonna play out.

Jet's pretty much that way, outside of helping out his teammates as much as it furthers his goals

Jet's pretty much that way, outside of helping out his teammates as much as it furthers his goals

Eh, to an extent. Jet's just wants money while Scourge wants power, and I don't really see Jet going to the same lengths as Scourge does. Plus Scourge has the power to back up his ego, Jet not so much, plus he's a bit of a coward when the going gets tough. Didn't take Battle Kukku much to put him under his thumb. I dunno, maybe sometime down the line a story can prove me wrong, but right now the two don't seem to have much in common beyond the superficial. 

So the answer is combining  St. John, Scourge, and Shard all into one. Have a Metal Sonic get too big for his britches and go rogue trying to be more like sonic while at the same time trying to kill him, and then eventually end up working for the Nauguses.

Also get Julie-Su in there by making him fall in love with Knuckles

• Thumbs Up 2

Scourge was a great foil character to Sonic, and I don't think his role as a foil is fulfilled in any other present "evil" character as of yet. I was never fond of his backstory in just being Sonic HIMSELF basically, but I thought they did great with what they were given.. like what happened to many other characters. I'll sure miss him as a character :c

Scourge was a great foil character to Sonic, and I don't think his role as a foil is fulfilled in any other present "evil" character as of yet. I was never fond of his backstory in just being Sonic HIMSELF basically, but I thought they did great with what they were given.. like what happened to many other characters. I'll sure miss him as a character :c

A Metal Sonic that gains sentience and becomes obsessed with surpassing the genuine article that he's modeled after is, inherently, much more compelling, in my opinion. Sonic truly being one of a kind also does a lot more for his character, I think. He's unique.

I too think Ian did well with what he had to work with, when it came to Scourge, I agree. But, that still doesn't change my sentiment that he was born from a flawed, misguided idea from the '90s that probably should've just been forgotten about.

But Metal just seems more like some soulless obstacle than a huge foil to Sonic; always getting destroyed in nearly every appearance, so easily. SEGA just won't allow Metal to develop beyond that.

But Metal just seems more like some soulless obstacle than a huge foil to Sonic; always getting destroyed in nearly every appearance, so easily. SEGA just won't allow Metal to develop beyond that.

Well... they stopped him from getting trashed every issue.

I think Flynn has found ways to give Metal hints of a personality, though, as seen in SU#50 before the reboot and here and there throughout the new 'verse. His character has moments of rebellion that are reined in by Eggman's override switches, but he is more or less just one of Eggman's soldiers/trump cards--a poweful one, but it's unlikely he'll get to break away again unless SEGA does something about it themselves.

Course, I prefer Scourge myself, especially after all the work Flynn put into him, but oh well. I suppose we still have Shadow as a foil--he's not an antagonist, but his personality and way of doing things is a direct contrast to how Sonic would handle the situation (also noted in Sonic's obvious sympathy about the state of Knuckles's home while Shadow cares about the greater good).

Edited by Zaysho

I definitely prefer Scourge as a foil. Shadow doesn't really.. go to the lengths that he did or have quite the personality that Scourge did. I hope that they could either create a new character or nudge Shadow more in that direction, perhaps. 

Meh, I didn't see a whole lot of Scourge during the pre-reboot era, but from what I've seen, I wasn't that impressed.

Maybe I need to see more of him, but I personally don't really care that he's gone for good.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Scourge will shine better without Penders' backstory for him. He doesn't need it, anyways. Just have him be some sort of dark manifestation of Sonic that somehow became independent from him, or....something. I dunno.

Everyone gets a Sonic. The humans get a Sonic, Eggman gets a Sonic, the mobians have a Sonic. Naugus needs a Sonic. He should create Scourge

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone gets a Sonic. The humans get a Sonic, Eggman gets a Sonic, the mobians have a Sonic. Naugus needs a Sonic. He should create Scourge

8a35b3fefb75697d3798272303ef658c61e6bf52

Edited by antyep
  • Thumbs Up 1