Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

To be clear, I don't think there's an issue with realistic animals existing on Sonic's world. The issue here is realistic sentient animals on Sonic's world, and from that perspective, I can understand why the change was made.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, this is an interesting tidbit.

Imagine instead of Eclipse the family obsessed alien we got back evil Dan Green. 

God damn! That would've been pretty freaking awesome! As much as I find Mephiles a complete joke and super hammy, he is an awesome villain in some ways. 

Still waiting for the Silver Age.....

God damn! That would've been pretty freaking awesome! As much as I find Mephiles a complete joke and super hammy, he is an awesome villain in some ways. 

Still waiting for the Silver Age.....

I agree.

Just gotta wait for Silver to encounter him via Genesis Portals, I guess.

...Ehhhhhh...

I think I prefer how Shadow Fall actually turned out. Personally, I think Black Doom and Mephiles were both terrible villains; the former for being generic as all heck and putting no effort into hiding his evilness despite claiming to be "saving the humans from their own extinction", and the latter for having a stupid, overconvoluted plot (seriously, why couldn't you just kill Elise yourself or merge with Iblis in the future?!) and an extremely lazy design. Both had cool voices, though.

What we got instead was a not-Black Doom (who wasn't any better or worse, but gets pardoned because we got to see Shadow kill him), and, in my opinion, the perfect foil to Shadow. Eclipse has a cool design, unique powers, and is more than just "Shadow's evil twin with twice the edge!" His motives make perfect sense (his desire to preserve his kind, just basic instincts for all living things), to the point where I'm kind of sympathizing with him, even though he's clearly in the wrong. And I love how he sees his fellow Black Arms as his comrades and family. 

Maybe it's just me, but this story was probably better off the way it was. Some things (and some characters) are just better off buried in the past.

^While Mephi had an extremely lazy (and highly questionable) design direction, his Crystalline form was pretty unique and interesting. I would have loved to see a few of Archie's guys take a stab or two with that.

While we rag on Doom and Mephi for their bland usage in the videogames, lets not forget that Ian has a pretty consistent track record in regards to spinning gold out of Sega's leftovers. Time and time again he's taken unpopular and mis-utilized concepts and built them into something that can at the very least contribute to the overall narrative. I'd be fibbing if I said that I wouldn't be interested in seeing what he could do with a villain that could manipulate time so easily. (He's probably the most OP villain this side of Enerjak and God Mogul).

I don't doubt that Ian could make at least Mephilies something enjoyable. Between the shapeshifting, manipulative nature and a sweet evil cackle there are a few things there to play with. Black Doom... eh, it'd take a miracle, but I'm pretty happy with letting him stay dead.

Thats not to say I'm not happy with Eclipse though. He's got a tragic story going for him and a nice design to boot. It'll be cool to see which other villains he collaborates with in the future. He's a pretty nice wildcard villain.

• Thumbs Up 4

Makes the story make a bit more sense. Black Death being an obvious stand-in for Black Doom and Eclipse being a stand-in for Mephiles as Not-Shadow (though at least this not-Shadow is actually interesting). Think the story worked out better the way it did, but I'd have to see the other product to judge fully.

Though, I still remain I would have preferred Black Death surviving over Eclipse. At least Death looks like he belongs to the Black Arms. Eclipse just looks like another Mobian.

Though, I still remain I would have preferred Black Death surviving over Eclipse. At least Death looks like he belongs to the Black Arms. Eclipse just looks like another Mobian.

To be fair, he shares more than a few similarities with the Sword Brutes while he's in his Bezerker state. He could pass as a bother or a cousin to one of those guys.

But I think that was the point with his overall design. He was genetically engineered to be a Shadow buster, and as both Doom and Death can attest to, another hive mind fireball slinger wasn't going to cut it. They had to evolve their own design, and they did so by stealing Shadows proportions and body type, and then piling on a hulk mode on top of that.

Eclipse doesn't look like any other Black Arms because he's not just any other black arms. He's the super soldier. He's essentially their Shadow. Much like the black blur, his color scheme should be enough of a dead ringer to point out his bloodlines. He looks alien enough to me to lump in with the rest of his tribe.

Ian's track record over making lame characters actually good, I would have actually wanted to see how something like that would work.

Don't get me wrong, I still rather the Black Arms either not even be in this continuity even if it's more game-centric or be completely re-imagined into a group that wasn't "lol evil aliens all up in yo backstory", but if I can get something enjoyable out of it, then I can live with things like Eclipse being around as he is.

Mephilies tho, that would be something to see Ian work with. Might've been the next difficult thing to work with after the Second Genesis Wave, I'd guess.

But I think that was the point with his overall design.

It is, and I recognize the choice a long time ago, the answers to "why." I just don't agree with it. I would have much preferred Black Death over Eclipse, I just find the variation a lot more interesting.

^While Mephi had an extremely lazy (and highly questionable) design direction, his Crystalline form was pretty unique and interesting. I would have loved to see a few of Archie's guys take a stab or two with that.

Ditto, I would love a more demonic, sinister looking Redesign, something worthy of the name Mephiles/Mephisto, but keep the Crystalline mofit.

I always thought he should look more like Marvel's Blackheart if he assume a more original appearance.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

I always thought he should look more like Marvel's Blackheart if he assume a more original appearance.

I first read that as Darkheart from one of those Care Bears movies, now I can't stop thinking about Mephiles saying, "Time for a game of disappearing hedgehogs."

Mephiles is supposed to Shadow's own "Shadow" the same way Shadow himself is to Sonic. Like, what Shadow could have become had he gone down a different path.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mephiles seems nothing like that though. Shadow at most could be determined to get rid of humans down a different path, he doesn't have the power to do what Mephiles does.

Speaking of '06 stuff.

12038415_805355389561671_912466559443055

Has it even been said that much in the new reality?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mephiles seems nothing like that though. Shadow at most could be determined to get rid of humans down a different path, he doesn't have the power to do what Mephiles does.

Speaking of '06 stuff.

Hidden Content

Maybe, maybe not, it might've happened, must've gotten erased same way like the game's events?

Speaking of '06 stuff.

Hidden Content

Honestly, I'd just take that as blatant fourth-wall-breaking.

Hidden Content

Yeah, it's just another instance of Ian inserting popular Sonic memes and having a character express discontent with any of them. "Find the computer room!" and "You're too slow!" anyone?

Edited by DarkLight

Ah yes, I've just seen the preview panel Archie posted.

CR7mQArVEAArk8q.png

On the one hand, now it make sense.

On the other hand, it is literally a rehash of what Chaotix Quest did. :/

Totally forgot Evan Stanley was writing this arc. My bad.

The meme sthick is still something I associate Ian most though.

Speaking of '06 stuff.

Hidden Content

10.jpg

Yeah, they're really taking advantage of that meme. If it weren't integrated well and fluidly in the plot, I could see it as being grating.

Also, screw you Spoopy Matrix for taking Conquering Storm as an avatar before me. :lol:

Edit: But it's k. I'll settle for second with another picture of her.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Yeah, they're really taking advantage of that meme. If it weren't integrated well and fluidly in the plot, I could see it as being grating.

Also, screw you Spoopy Matrix for taking Conquering Storm as an avatar before me. :lol:

Edit: But it's k. I'll settle for second with another picture of her.

Lel I see we're both Conquering Storm fans!

Your avatar's better though, mine is not quite right... (It would be better if we got the bigger avatars feature again...) :^)

Another thought though, Since Conquering Storm's back, would Lightning Lynx come back too? Or is he gone as well?

No, he's gone. He was done by another writer. 

I thought they strictly only got rid of Penders's creations, though? Was Lightening Lynx created by Penders?