Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Basically, Eggman ruining the Chaos Control is basically Ken Penders taking his stuff, and making it his to begin with! That's how Lara-Su was erased from the world, and how Knuckles is just "The Last Echidna!" Meaning, any offspring will be a hybrid.

I have no clue what you're talking about. Yes, we know the reason why they had to be removed, but in terms of the characters and the comic itself, Eggman did it just because he didn't want Sonic to win.

Anyway, Knuckles is far better now without Penders' stupid baggage.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have no clue what you're talking about. Yes, we know the reason why they had to be removed, but in terms of the characters and the comic itself, Eggman did it just because he didn't want Sonic to win.

Anyway, Knuckles is far better now without Penders' stupid baggage.

Well, I was using Eggman attacking Sonic, and screwing it up as a metaphor for Penders' action going into effect. But of course, had Sonic won, we would've had all the old Penders crap going on!

The most of the Knuckles-related stuff that I miss is Lara-Su, and she's already been replaced with a different character in the form of Relic, who I find more dynamic...and blue, anyway.

Actually no, I miss tentacle-headed Dimitri as well, but that's it. I just liked his design, I don't care about the character himself.

More importantly, all the stupid lore and oh this is so important ancient stuff is gone, and I couldn't be happier. This puts the game series' version of the lore in place, and I think that's a lot better and more tied in with the main story of the franchise. More importantly, it gives the better writer (Ian Flynn) an opportunity to make a better version to replace it, that actually makes sense and, again, would actually have relevance in the standard story canon without contradicting what the games say.

That's not to say I don't miss some of the old world's aspects, especially the darker bits, but there's lots that can be done with this new world to replace it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sorry for breaking up the reminiscing, but I've got some cold hard figures for you lot.

Seems that Worlds Unite is hovering around the 8-10k marks for sales, with the best selling part of last month (Sonic #274) selling just under 10k, and the worst selling part (Sonic Boom #9) selling just above 8k. We only need numbers for the as of now unreleased parts 11 and 12.

Also, it seems that the Direct Market exclusives are giving up a way more accurate picture of how many people total buy the comic per month, not just those via DM. Sonic: Worlds Unite Battles clocked in at 43,815 copies, actually breaking the overall top 50 for the month. Looks good on paper, but I think the others have subscriptions to fall back on too just like Sonic, so ehhhh.

Sorry for breaking up the reminiscing, but I've got some cold hard figures for you lot.

Seems that Worlds Unite is hovering around the 8-10k marks for sales, with the best selling part of last month (Sonic #274) selling just under 10k, and the worst selling part (Sonic Boom #9) selling just above 8k. We only need numbers for the as of now unreleased parts 11 and 12.

Also, it seems that the Direct Market exclusives are giving up a way more accurate picture of how many people total buy the comic per month, not just those via DM. Sonic: Worlds Unite Battles clocked in at 43,815 copies, actually breaking the overall top 50 for the month. Looks good on paper, but I think the others have subscriptions to fall back on too just like Sonic, so ehhhh.

so what does this mean? Is this good or bad?

Neither, I guess. The regular issue numbers are good in that it proves it did provide a consistent boost, but bad in a way because it's nowhere near the boost that Worlds Collide did. 

And I couldn't guess the DM exclusive without knowing what a regular Sonic issue would sell overall to begin with. It's mostly there for Archie to claim they got an issue in the top 50. 

I'm the only one here who don't like world unite and just want to see the main story of Unleashed continue ?

I mean, it's just barely Sigma who get powerfull so everyone (at least as much as they can put character for boosting sales) will smash his face and the end ?

It's not interesting at all because it's more look like a bad fan fic' writh by a fan who just wanna put his favorite character everywhere.

I wouldn't describe it as that, but you're far from the only one not warming up to Worlds Unite. And I doubt they ever will when it's due to end in 8 days time.

I'm the only one here who don't like world unite and just want to see the main story of Unleashed continue ?

I mean, it's just barely Sigma who get powerfull so everyone (at least as much as they can put character for boosting sales) will smash his face and the end ?

It's not interesting at all because it's more look like a bad fan fic' writh by a fan who just wanna put his favorite character everywhere.

You clearly haven't been keeping up with the thread. The majority of people on the thread, myself included don't like Worlds Unite

Yeah I'm sorry I don't come here often, I just wanted to give my opinions c:

And excuse as well if I made some english mistakes, I'm not english native ^^

Speaking personally, it's not that I hate Worlds Unite. It's just that, compared to Worlds Collide, it's quite a bit more average and, frankly, overstuffed for its own good.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'll reiterate my main problem with WU:

It tries way too hard to be "bigger and better" than WC but not keeping what actually made WC good. WC was all about putting Sonic and MM stuff together as a love-letter for both franchises. WU's gimmick is shoehorning not only Boom and X, but also different Sega and Capcom IP's into the mix. Bigger, but certainly not better.

• Thumbs Up 4

Worlds Unite was a major letdown, if you ask me. It's not like it's bad or anything; in fact, seeing all those characters fighting against a major threat is what crossovers are for. But unlike other crossovers where writing allowed for a build-up to the big fight like, for example, JLA/Avenger, everything here looks so...rushed. Worlds Collide dragged on for a little bit, but in the end it had a satisfing conclusion (Save for the last page, but, eh, Ken Penders happened). Ian had time to write a good story where every character had a purpose. 

Unfortunately, Worlds Unite is not like his predecessor, in terms of quality.

Part 2 killed it for me, mainly the artwork.

While it is still a rushed mess in Act 3 right now, at least the artwork is a LOT better, Part 1's was also good. Honestly I think they had a good start to the crossover with the Robotized and Reprogramed Sonic and Mega Man wiping the floor with each others supporting cast, but it all just ended too soon. Trying to fit all this in only 12 issues is already a pain in the neck as it is, felt like this should've been 20 issues, but that's way too long to be away from the main events in both Sonic's and Mega Man's series we can't stall on the Unleashed plot forever.

• Thumbs Up 3

Worlds Unite has met most of my expectations... which were honestly very low to begin with. As soon as we saw just how unbelievably large the cast of characters would be, there was absolutely no way it would work well, especially so soon after Worlds Collide. And while it doesn't surprise me it's not nearly as good as WC, it's disappointing how clear it was that it'd be this way from the start. I feel like if they were able to wait just another year, there would have been more time to improve the pacing and anything else about the story. But even then they could only fix so much...

Not to say I didn't find things to enjoy about it though. I'm still super glad the Archie Sonic cast got to be part of it, and the character interaction had a lot of good moments here and there. I did enjoy the setup to the first act too, but by the second act things started getting a lot more cluttered with Sigma's giant Planet Butt, and the mediocre art that reeked of disinterest from the artist himself.  I really didn't mind his art much at first... but man, it just dwindled in quality after every issue. Sadly Act 3 doesn't really fix the clutter, but what definitely makes it the better act is Hesse's art, and the actual effort Ian and the rest put in portraying each franchise as accurately as they could in just a few pages. It ain't perfect, but it shows actual research was done and I will give them credit for that.

To me, Worlds Unite has been an enjoyable mess. It's something that never needed to happen this soon, but it has enough fun things about it that keeps it from being abysmal for me. For a massive story all about fan pandering and not much else? It does it's job well enough I guess.

But please Archie... never do this again. Not for a LONG time. :X

Worlds Unite has met most of my expectations... which were honestly very low to begin with. As soon as we saw just how unbelievably large the cast of characters would be, there was absolutely no way it would work well, especially so soon after Worlds Collide. And while it doesn't surprise me it's not nearly as good as WC, it's disappointing how clear it was that it'd be this way from the start. I feel like if they were able to wait just another year, there would have been more time to improve the pacing and anything else about the story. But even then they could only fix so much...

Not to say I didn't find things to enjoy about it though. I'm still super glad the Archie Sonic cast got to be part of it, and the character interaction had a lot of good moments here and there. I did enjoy the setup to the first act too, but by the second act things started getting a lot more cluttered with Sigma's giant Planet Butt, and the mediocre art that reeked of disinterest from the artist himself.  I really didn't mind his art much at first... but man, it just dwindled in quality after every issue. Sadly Act 3 doesn't really fix the clutter, but what definitely makes it the better act is Hesse's art, and the actual effort Ian and the rest put in portraying each franchise as accurately as they could in just a few pages. It ain't perfect, but it shows actual research was done and I will give them credit for that.

To me, Worlds Unite has been an enjoyable mess. It's something that never needed to happen this soon, but it has enough fun things about it that keeps it from being abysmal for me. For a massive story all about fan pandering and not much else? It does it's job well enough I guess.

But please Archie... never do this again. Not for a LONG time. :X

They probably won't. By the time the 300th Issue happens, we'll probably see it as a regular issue that gives us a Sonic Origins Story, centering around Sonic the Hedgehog himself. Or maybe it'll be a simple battle between Dark Gaia and Super Sonic.

Edited by YoshiAngemon

They probably won't. By the time the 300th Issue happens, we'll probably see it as a regular issue that gives us a Sonic Origins Story, centering around Sonic the Hedgehog himself.

Nope.

Ian already said Sega won't allow their characters to have origins.

Nope.

Ian already said Sega won't allow their characters to have origins.

Or they could just make the whole 300th Issue one big Off-Panel, with all the gag characters, including Momma Robotnik. Not like it'll just be a Routine Boss Rush story for Sonic and Eggman.

Edited by YoshiAngemon

I had an inkling that Worlds Unite wouldn't be as good as Collide as soon as I saw that other SEGA and Capcom IP's would join in. Too many characters, it doesn't work. No way they can pull this off I thought. And it looks like I was right. 8/

I had an inkling that Worlds Unite wouldn't be as good as Collide as soon as I saw that other SEGA and Capcom IP's would join in. Too many characters, it doesn't work. No way they can pull this off I thought. And it looks like I was right. 8/

Plus the fact that they were trying to shove all of this into 12 issues. 

Which is kind of ironic actually. You would expect the biggest issue would be it'd be a clusterfuck with too much story and not enough space, but somehow it's an overblown sequel that didn't have enough of a story that it needed 6 issues of set up, and wasted 5 issues to pointless battle scenes. That's not to mention the stupid crap that the other universes couldn't be introduced until the last act, the whole thing in general is a total mess.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh hey, the train made a new stop, this time it's part 11.

-There's not really much in the way of spoilers to say. Like, outside of what the preview showed, there's a page where the Interpol crew have their fight aided by the Shadaloo crew and they're surprised and stuff, but it's six pages of nothing but single panels of heroes punching things. 

-Sigma weakens and the heroes think they've won, bar Sticks, who's proved right a panel later as Sigma powers up again.

-So then all those crossover heroes are swiftly owned by Sigma, as Mega Man, X, Sonic, Sally and the Sky Patrol crew discuss their options, which are either Sonic and Mega Man going super or being completely boned. So then they get the Chaos Emeralds (Sonic referencing Worlds Collide without a footnote to say "go back and read Worlds Collide to get it!!") Sigma has X and Sally in his physical grasp and the last page is Super Sonic and Super Mega Man. Despite the milestone being more pages, the actual Worlds Unite part is of the standard 20 page length.

-The other story is the Sonic Comic Origins story that led into Worlds Unite, which was supposed to be reprinted in Sonic Super Special Magazine #14 before that became a no-show.

-Ehhhhh

Was there anything about Xander and the Doctors? 

I wasn't expecting that much from the start, but that's still pretty disappointing. At least it's just one more issue to go.

Was there anything about Xander and the Doctors? 

I wasn't expecting that much from the start, but that's still pretty disappointing. At least it's just one more issue to go.

Just read the preview that was put online prior, and that's everything you get on them this issue.

From what I hear, apparently it was recently released on the Archie's mobile app.

So, is Sonic Super Special Magazine #14 ever going to be released physically or is Sonic Super Special Magazine going the way of the Sonic Legacy Series?  It seems like it keeps getting delayed.

SSSM#14 was released on the app, but then it was apparently recalled. Who knows if it'll ever see the light of day (we don't know now, unfortunately).