Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

For question 1, is it said that Robotnik was the one who ordered the plane crash? Cause I could maybe (a big maybe, mind you) see Snivley doing it behind his uncle's back to free Sonic as an insurance policy if the annihilator failed.

Like I said, though, BIG maybe.

Not to my knowledge. The SWATbots just show up, shoot down the plane, inspect it for survivors, then get utterly wrecked by a PO'd Sonic who escapes to fulfill Penders' "homage" to The Prisoner.

But who would give the order to the 'bots to shoot down the plane in the first place? Snively's plan was always going to succeed, regardless if Sonic had his final battle with Robotnik-Prime, the moment the Doctor used it, it would only erase him (I guess everything else, like Knothole would be "sent into the future"...), so it couldn't be the scheming nephew.*

As Bethany pointed out, shooting down the plane would have just put a risk of Sonic escaping into Robotnik's plans, so ol' Ivo wouldn't have had a reason to do that since Sonic probably wouldn't have attacked the Royal Guards like he does with robots, so it wouldn't make sense for Robotnik to give that order.

If the implication is that the SWATbots themselves somehow took the inititive and shot down a plane, either to kill Sonic themselves or because they didn't get the memo that Robotnik wanted Sonic out of the way in the island prison... then that's still a whole lotta stupid.

So either of these three don't make much sense.

Now, I'm not saying that Ken should've had the foresight to copy Sonic's escape from SA2... but why involve the 'bots at all? It wouldn't have been a deus ex machina if the plane was downed by a lightning strike, but it wouldn't have been as mindnumbingly stupid as what actually got used.

*Also, as mentioned, Quack somehow guessed that Snively was altering the U.A. behind Robotnik's back and divine that Snively hated Robotnik enough to kill him like that; how would he know that Snively wouldn't, in an attempt to rule the world in the aftermath, wipe out all of his enemies (Robotnik, Sonic & the FF's) in one fell swoop, but only trust that Snively would be so shortsighted to only kill Robotnik (even if he was right that Snively would forget his other enemies...)

Not to my knowledge. The SWATbots just show up, shoot down the plane, inspect it for survivors, then get utterly wrecked by a PO'd Sonic who escapes to fulfill Penders' "homage" to The Prisoner.

But who would give the order to the 'bots to shoot down the plane in the first place? Snively's plan was always going to succeed, regardless if Sonic had his final battle with Robotnik-Prime, the moment the Doctor used it, it would only erase him (I guess everything else, like Knothole would be "sent into the future"...), so it couldn't be the scheming nephew.*

As Bethany pointed out, shooting down the plane would have just put a risk of Sonic escaping into Robotnik's plans, so ol' Ivo wouldn't have had a reason to do that since Sonic probably wouldn't have attacked the Royal Guards like he does with robots, so it wouldn't make sense for Robotnik to give that order.

If the implication is that the SWATbots themselves somehow took the inititive and shot down a plane, either to kill Sonic themselves or because they didn't get the memo that Robotnik wanted Sonic out of the way in the island prison... then that's still a whole lotta stupid.

So either of these three don't make much sense.

Now, I'm not saying that Ken should've had the foresight to copy Sonic's escape from SA2... but why involve the 'bots at all? It wouldn't have been a deus ex machina if the plane was downed by a lightning strike, but it wouldn't have been as mindnumbingly stupid as what actually got used.

*Also, as mentioned, Quack somehow guessed that Snively was altering the U.A. behind Robotnik's back and divine that Snively hated Robotnik enough to kill him like that; how would he know that Snively wouldn't, in an attempt to rule the world in the aftermath, wipe out all of his enemies (Robotnik, Sonic & the FF's) in one fell swoop, but only trust that Snively would be so shortsighted to only kill Robotnik (even if he was right that Snively would forget his other enemies...)

Lazy writing, essentially. The trick, Kenny old boy, is to not write yourself into a corner in the first place.

*coughME3cough*

God, I remember around the 50th issues, there was a few moments I was thinking, "Wait, why is this happening?" The Swatbot shooting the plane down was one.

The worst parts came a few issues after it though.

*coughME3cough*

My avatar feels so right at this moment. lol

At least most of ME3 was good... Penders? There's not even thin ice. He's already waist deep and the temperature is dropping.

God, I remember around the 50th issues, there was a few moments I was thinking, "Wait, why is this happening?" The Swatbot shooting the plane down was one.

The worst parts came a few issues after it though.

My avatar feels so right at this moment. lol

At least most of ME3 was good... Penders? There's not even thin ice. He's already waist deep and the temperature is dropping.

I wouldn't even give ME3 that much, honestly. It had its moments, but not enough of them. And that ending... Ugh... I'm still so pissed off about it that I haven't been able to go back to the ME series since March, 2012. :/

But that's straying wildly off topic. I'm up to Julie-Su's appearance now! She gets so much better as the series progresses, but at this early stage, it's clear that el Grande Pendejo is clumsily steering her and Knuckles into each other's arms. It doesn't feel natural at all. Terribly forced. And this is only in KtE #5. 

Oh yes, and in KtE #4, we have a T-65 X-Wing fighter and an X-34 landspeeder (flying, for some reason). 

tumblr_n7u3e7vsQ21teg32yo1_500.png

There's more coming. 

Try to guess how much time passes during Knuckles as opposed to the Sonic book; KtE was written at such a decompressed manner, I'm surprised that no one seems to get that it feels like everything that happens in that book happens over the course of a month total.

Which makes those Dingos' claims of being ignored seem really whiny.

It feels that NOTHING happens offscreen or in the background much in this book.

I can see that pic of Bean with the orange background having "U WOT M8" put on it by the internet.

Can I say that, from what we've read so far, I love Relic's register? I'm actually looking forward to reading more about her.

Oh yes, and in KtE #4, we have a T-65 X-Wing fighter and an X-34 landspeeder (flying, for some reason). 

tumblr_n7u3e7vsQ21teg32yo1_500.png

There's more coming.

I have to laugh a bit at how the Archives reprints recolored all the Echidnas so everyone didn't blend together so much. There are some purple and even light golden colored ones.

Will you be listing all of Penders's... homages throughout the series? I'm not familiar with what he's referencing most of the time, so it'd be a useful reference for me.

I have to laugh a bit at how the Archives reprints recolored all the Echidnas so everyone didn't blend together so much. There are some purple and even light golden colored ones.

Will you be listing all of Penders's... homages throughout the series? I'm not familiar with what he's referencing most of the time, so it'd be a useful reference for me.

If I recognise them, I'll list them in this topic, with pics. :)

If I recognise them, I'll list them in this topic, with pics. smile.png

Thanks! I'd sorta like to do my own breakdowns of the series at some point, so it helps to have some idea of whatever sci-fi stuff he just dropped into the book. smile.png

I'm guessing there's not much context with that stuff though, is there? They're there for the sake of referencing something?

Thanks! I'd sorta like to do my own breakdowns of the series at some point, so it helps to have some idea of whatever sci-fi stuff he just dropped into the book. smile.png

I'm guessing there's not much context with that stuff though, is there? They're there for the sake of referencing something?

I guess so, yeah. Mostly it's just stuff in the background, although later on, you do get things like the EST piloting Starfleet shuttles and the Guardians arriving at Haven aboard Slave I

It'd probably work better if there was a Google Doc where the Penders Reference List can be made on, like what the ME community did with that one book... Retaliation, I believe it was called.

So others can help out, like me.

So Aleah uploaded some concept art;

coral_the_betta_early_concept_by_kureeji

razor_the_shark_early_concept_by_kureeji

pearly_the_manta_ray_early_concept_by_ku

I won't copy/paste all of the artist comments, but I will point out this one bit, from Razor's commentary.

Hmm, Razor was kept small for the perception of the character. It did seem weird, since the only famous fish-like animals bigger than sharks are whales.

Beefy big Akhlut anyone?

Edit: And more concept art;

echo_the_dolphin__city_guard__concept_by

king_puff_concept_by_kureejiilea-d7o89z3

queen_angelica_concept_by_kureejiilea-d7

Is it just me, or there are something eerie in the way that Aleah draws the eyes?

It's just for the initial concepts so she keeps them undetailed. Her proper eye style is distinct in a different manner entirely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to interrupt.

BrI_olFCYAIGNdW.jpg

Bean's gonna lose his shit soon. that look is the "imma gon fuk u up!" look.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep. You can see a point to the speech bubble that says "Red text. Bean is livid

Though I wonder who he's screaming at? "Mouthless freak"?

"Mouthless freak"? All I can think of off the top of my head is Mephiles, but that's doubtful. Unless he's being reimagined as Dark Gaia spawn. :P

The only other person I could think of is Bark, since he doesn't talk. But then again, since he doesn't talk, why would Bean be freaking out...more so than usual.

Yeah I was going to say it's Bark but if so, Bean's "words can offend too" doesn't make much sense tongue.png

Maybe since It's a Dark Gaia creature they are fighting, maybe Bean's been effected by Dark Gaia making him more crazy.