Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

EGGMAN YOU FUCKED EVERYTHING UP NOW.

Anywho, 12/12 of the crossover was great, I do however wish it was a little longer though(with the pages). Super Megaman and Super Sonic teaming up, just yes, the fight against Wily and Eggman was too shortlived in 12/12 of the crossover. Well in the future, I hope we expect more crossovers like this Megaman one happening(and not shitty ones). All in all this issue was really perfect, some things about it did make me question though. For example one thing: How the hell did they roboticize Shadow let alone capture him without him putting up a fight?

These damn cliffhangers though are pissing me off. I'm so eager to know what's next now.

1. Is Sonic's World off balance now in the space time continuum?

2. Does this mean Sonic's parents and other "unnecessary characters" are killed off now?

3. tumblr_m3kaj27Uva1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

With the Shadow point, Wily (or Eggman) had equipped Copy Robot with a device he could use to teleport Sonic's friends to the Wily Egg. I assume that Shadow had no Chaos Emeralds, so he had no power increase, and I'm guessing that the properties of the roboticization chamber in the Wily Egg would prevent Shadow from using any Chaos related attacks while there.

Yeah. Eggman and Wily most likely made sure the chamber was chaos proof. Shadow was also caught by surprise and teleported almost on the spot, so there's barely any reaction time necessary. 

Also, hi all!

Arty moops

Wow, man it looks like I did this back in April and it should be coming out soon. It feels so long ago and like this comic has come and gone.

I was excited to mark a new beginning in the comics history. We're just about to move into a period where the comic can cast off a lot of unnecessary weight and redefine itself! I couldn't be more happy about it.

Unnecessary weight? You mean UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 2

Biomass, my friend. If the old and dominating material is removed, then the pioneer populations left over have room and resources for succession.

Guys.

The solicits. Guys, the solicits.

The world is corrupted. Everyone is changed and in the wrong places.

Guys, what Bates is saying is nothing new. Everyone that isn't Sonic and Tails is getting put on a toybox, kept away safely and not cluttering the playfield. Then, as the story demands it, Ian's getting them back one by one.

It doesn't mean Penders characters, it means everyone. The huge spiralling cluster that was the cast of the book, that was as much a strength as it was a weakness- remember the Mecha Sally arc having to deal with three villains and 3 teams of heroes? That's the clutter being dropped.

(repost from BKC)

Arty moops

Unnecessary weight? You mean UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS.

Sounds like a good place to jump in for newcomers. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

So in otherwords not only Penders characters are going to be gone but anybody that was a problem for SEGA is going to be gone too?

So I will be right in a sense that the current Nagus arc won't be finished entirely?

Are you intentionally misreading me, the solicits, and Bates?

It's not Penders characters. It's not anyone that's a problem for SEGA.

IT'S EVERYONE. The cast was overbloated. That's poison for new readers.

They're starting from zero, rebuilding a cast. Sonic and Tails reappear, fight Tails Doll. Meet Chuck, meet Rotor, meet Antoine and some unknown SatAM character. Eggman's travelling the world back to his Death Egg, faces GUN.

They're literally starting a new book, with the same continuity and numbering as the old one.

Edited by Captain Harlock

They're starting from zero, rebuilding a cast. Sonic and Tails reappear, fight Tails Doll. Meet Chuck, meet Rotor, meet Antoine and some unknown SatAM character. Eggman's travelling the world back to his Death Egg, faces GUN.

They're literally starting a new book, with the same continuity and numbering as the old one.

This is what I've been trying to say for the past 5-10 pages, it hasn't really been working.

Penders's characters aren't off-limits, you know...like I've said probably 3 times too.

To me as a new reader, the comic was oversaturated with characters I didn't even know about yet apparently appeared ages ago and were completely uninteresting to me, there must had been only one or two out of the hundreds there were that stood out a little but that's only because they were inspired by StC characters (Fini for example). It didn't feel like a 'Sonic and friends' comic, it felt like 'Sonic and the world'. It was just too many to handle.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is what I've been trying to say for the past 5-10 pages, it hasn't really been working.

Penders's characters aren't off-limits, you know...like I've said probably 3 times too.

But then you're denying Sonic fans the chance to jump to conclusions and pull the "RUINED FOREVER" lever. tongue.png

Based on what happened at the end of "Worlds Collide" I can see how this new direction is going to start taking shape. I figure it'll be a while before all of the Archie characters make their grand return, and Flynn has already promised that 250+ past issues of story aren't getting chucked in the discontinuity bin altogether.

I'm sure these other characters, even Penders's characters (and I really hate to call them that) will come back in due time (they ain't dead, people), but the primary cast needs to be built back up and introduced properly for new readers. I'm sorta looking forward to this simply because it's the kind of accessibilty the Sonic book has always fallen short of with its on-going continuity for so long.

Edited by Zaysho

I wouldn't be surprised if at least a good handful of Archie-exclusive characters were basically gotten rid of. Not because of any copyright issue, just because they're useless and unnecessary.

Okay, but then why are the redesigned Freedom Fighters on the cover of the first Sonic issue after Worlds Collide? That would imply they play a role in that issue and thus aren't reintroduced. 

They can be reintroduced while playing a role, though...?

Also they don't appear until the second issue after the end of WWC. The first issue after it has Sonic on his own.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Just started reading these again. Currently on #123. How do the Sonic Universe comics tie in with the original series? 

By being events that happen between the main comic, telling what the other characters are doing in the meanwhile.

Just started reading these again. Currently on #123. How do the Sonic Universe comics tie in with the original series? 

To add to what ChaosSupremeSonic said, many of the events in Sonic Universe do tie into current storylines (e.g. "Babylon Rising" or "Scrambled" happen before/during the events of the main series issues #230-236), while the others run right alongside them (e.g. "Journey to the East," "The Shadow Saga," "Scourge: Lockdown" don't tie into directly, but the events happen in roughly the same timeframe). Where you are in your reading right now, you won't have to worry about those storylines for a good while.

Edited by Zaysho

To add to what ChaosSupremeSonic said, many of the events in Sonic Universe do tie into current storylines (e.g. "Babylon Rising" or "Scrambled" happen before/during the events of the main series issues #230-236), while the others run right alongside them (e.g. "Journey to the East," "The Shadow Saga," "Scourge: Lockdown" don't tie into directly, but the events happen in roughly the same timeframe). Where you are in your reading right now, you won't have to worry about those storylines for a good while.

Gotcha! i am pretty excited to read further into the series. Back in the day I used to read these comics all the time. I loved the Endgame series (46-50) and I am a sucker for the Sonic Adventure tie in. I am still sad they never did a complete Sonic Adventure 2 tie in. 

I appreciate the info. Also diggin this board a lot. smile.png

It says on the Archie website that new subscriptions sometimes take 6-8 weeks until they send you the first issue. Is this normally true?

I'd like to subscribe now and still get the new comics in a couple weeks from now...

Gotcha! i am pretty excited to read further into the series. Back in the day I used to read these comics all the time. I loved the Endgame series (46-50) and I am a sucker for the Sonic Adventure tie in. I am still sad they never did a complete Sonic Adventure 2 tie in. 

I appreciate the info. Also diggin this board a lot. smile.png

No problem! About SA2, while they never did a true tie-in on the same scale as the Sonic Adventure adaptation, the storyline at least finally gets addressed in Sonic Universe #2 (via flashbacks that reflect the events of the present in that issue). Little extra note if you want to know where Sonic Universe storylines begin, the first issue takes place after Sonic #196 and Sonic X #40 (though the latter need not be read to understand the story of SU#1). It'll be pretty easy to figure when most of those stories place due to references and editor's notes between the two books as well, so you likely won't get lost when you finally do start to read those.

Glad to hear you're enjoying reading the book though! I'm planning on jumping into the large gap of issues (#100-onward) I missed years back when my interest in the comic was waning (I jumped back in with #177 and was hooked from then on). While I didn't like the general direction the book was taking around that time, I still want to fill in all those continuity holes and at least experience it first hand. It also helps knowing now that things get better (for the most part). Thank goodness for comixology...!

It says on the Archie website that new subscriptions sometimes take 6-8 weeks until they send you the first issue. Is this normally true?

I'd like to subscribe now and still get the new comics in a couple weeks from now...

I don't quite remember how subscriptions worked, but you'll likely receive the next upcoming issue depending on when you subscribe. I think that shipping time usually applies for things like back-issue collections and so on, because I subscribed not too long before #196 came out and that was the first book I received in the mail. I'm sure if you subscribe now, #252 should be the first book you receive, but I'm not absolutely sure about that.

Edited by Zaysho

I don't quite remember how subscriptions worked, but you'll likely receive the next upcoming issue depending on when you subscribe. I think that shipping time usually applies for things like back-issue collections and so on, because I subscribed not too long before #196 came out and that was the first book I received in the mail. I'm sure if you subscribe now, #252 should be the first book you receive, but I'm not absolutely sure about that.

Ok, thanks for the reply!