Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Seriously, what the fuck is this??

I was actually going to buy the comic for the laughs but if this is what it'll look like then I think I won't bother.

Why would you waste money on something you're going to silently laugh at because nobody else can hear you laugh at it anyway?

Laughter doesn't travel across the internet, after all.

Say at what issue did Ian start writing for the comic, and penders left? just out of curiousity

Lots of rumours abound, but IIRC what was confirmed was that Ian was coming in as head writer and Penders was offered to either be a backup writer or an inker for a while, as things changed and settled.

He tried playing it cool instead, saying he'd leave, so Archie'd go "nooo don't leave here have a raise"

They didn't.

Lots of rumours abound, but IIRC what was confirmed was that Ian was coming in as head writer and Penders was offered to either be a backup writer or an inker for a while, as things changed and settled.

He tried playing it cool instead, saying he'd leave, so Archie'd go "nooo don't leave here have a raise"

They didn't.

So basically he either quit or was fired.

No eithers, we know he quit. What I can't recall is why- there's sources saying he was offered to be a backup writer while Ian did the major work, others saying he was offered to be an inker while Ian took up the writing duties (which considering he ended up inking at least one story by Ian, seems more likely).

While Ken Penders isn't with Archie anymore, there really isn't a better place to post the new 'teaser' for his new 'series'. And it's even worse than the ones that came before it:

Lara-Su_Pro.jpg

MY EYES

Eldritch abomination doesn't even come close to describing this image.

Forget the random scattering of light sources, what the hell is going on with her everything? Dear god, and here I thought it looked terrifying on my mobile phone, now I can really see what's going on from my laptop screen. She looks like if Peg from Goof Troop had a 50 year old inbred grandmother.  In fact, I'm declaring this thing to be exactly that. Here is a picture of Peg's inbred granny looking back after escaping from being chained in her basement. Years of being sustained on a diet of fish heads, dust and spiders. She has discovered her destiny, and that is to exact revenge on all of the family members who left her there.

But, good lord. I just realized that space under her chin was the background. On my mobile phone, the hand and her "neck" blended in which looked like some wacky neck covering with jewels. Now I see a hand. One too abnormally small that you could swear that Lara-Su is a thalidomide baby. And those...shoulders? I dunno. My anatomy sense is tingling and telling me that they are too low and small to be placed there. And that growth above her shoulders? Is that supposed to be the trapezius muscle? I could swear she was pumping steroids and iron with the size of that hunk of flesh.

And by the coloration, her neck seems too thin to hold up that bobblehead. She must be in so much pain.

Yup. We must kill it with prejudice.

• Thumbs Up 6

I... didn't even realise the arm was there until it was pointed out, wow.

At first I just thought it was a face with the slightest bit of the chest, like a bust, but now that I look at the full body it just went wretched. The face was tolerable (it does make her look kind of old though) but the rest of the body is just whaaaaaat.

Then again Penders drew those pinups that had bodybuilder Sonic back in the day. Ergo, I think we can determine he has not the slightest inkling of Mobian anatomical structure. A Mobian is supposed to have a head that's 1/3 their body size (usually), with it being larger than their torso, with long, noodly "aerodynamic" limbs. For a guy who worked on an official comic book you'd think he'd know the rules.

Then again he's on the record for saying he prefers Knuckles to Sonic and didn't care about the franchise so it says a lot about his credentials to write such a work. Contrast to Ian, a diehard fan of the games and comics. One guy was doing it for his own personal satisfaction and another wants to actually treat the material with respect.

And look at the quality of what they put out. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, and there's a larger version, where the art failure is even more obvious. Enjoy!

Lara-Su_FrontPage.jpg

As someone who wants to be an artist, I find this insulting to the art community.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire
  • Thumbs Up 1

So through TSSZ I saw part of the panel, but hardly anything was said. Most of it was 'we have these comics', questions and what not, but nothing Sonic related that was super important like Sally's re-design. Or from what I got. I could hardly hear thanks to low volume even when I had i as high as it could go, and the stream only got about 11 minutes of the panel. 

The two things that are most important to mention, is someone asked what's happening with the new Freedom Fighters, mentioning Antoine and his coma as an example and the other's I couldn't hear, to have Ian answer 'Countdown to Chaos'll show where they are and what they're gonna do, as well as where that comes to play.' Also, that we'll get to know what's going on with Sally with #252. Thanks to Evan Stanley spoiling it. xP 

Another thing, is someone asked about possible Mega Man comics, such as Battle Network, X, Zero and Legends, and they ended up saying other things while trying to say 'We can't reveal that yet', while everyone else were doing X motions with their arms. Not easy to miss. Most dramatically, Ian. Wanted to throw that out there for the other Mega Man fans -- we might be getting an X comic?! I'm excited, but I'm not getting my hopes up!

Edited by Spin Dash

Well from what I understand Spaz has been trying to get an X comic off the ground for ages. Starting by getting a classic Mega Man comic going. First with Dreamwave which caved and now with Archie. He even did an X mini comic at the end of one of the Dreamwave issues. He has been rallying for Mega Man comics for ages.

The one nice thing about the Dreamwave comics version was the foil cover of issue one. I managed to get the whole set before they went belly up. They had a Maximo comic and Devil May Cry too while they had the Capcom license. I do like how Archie puts everything into trying to preserve quality and don't tackle too much at once, but a few extra game series comics would be good. There's a few they could do justice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't expecting much tbh. The comics in a new era, we kinda need to find out for ourselves. Kinda suprised we haven't heard of any attack on Ken during the convention though, going to the panel is asking for trouble.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't expecting much tbh. The comics in a new era, we kinda need to find out for ourselves. Kinda suprised we haven't heard of any attack on Ken during the convention though, going to the panel is asking for trouble.

He wasn't at the panel, I don't think. I know Mike Pellerito or however you spell his name, Ian (duh), Jon Gray and Evan Stanley were there for sure. There were a few other people, but I would've recognized Penders like I did the others.

Maybe he was in the crowd? Considering he's at a Sonic booth of some kind from that photo... Wonder how he managed that.

He wasn't at the panel, I don't think. I know Mike Pellerito or however you spell his name, Ian (duh), Jon Gray and Evan Stanley were there for sure. There were a few other people, but I would've recognized Penders like I did the others.

Maybe he was in the crowd? Considering he's at a Sonic booth of some kind from that photo... Wonder how he managed that.

He was at the panel, in the audience. He wasn't actually up front with the Archie creatives--that'd be insane.

Edited by Immortheus
  • Thumbs Up 1

He was at the panel sitting in the back. He doesn't have a mustache, but has long hair and a ponytail now.

He was at the panel sitting in the back. He doesn't have a mustache, but has long hair and a ponytail now.

You serious or being sarcastic?

I'm not up to date with the whole Penders fiasco, I have a lot of questions but I feel I should just ask one here; did he really draw that horrendous image? There are so many mistakes I don't even know where to begin and as an artist myself it's even more glaring. I don't like ragging on other artists' work but you have point out something bad when it's this bad.

Some things to look forward to this week (if nothing happens to Alex's camera)wink.png .....

I got a written interview with Ken Penders talking about his side of the story, his projects and the criticisms on his art.

I did a video interview with Ian Flynn as well on the upcoming changes in the book.

We also have some video of the Q & A at the Sonic/Mega panel including the Sally cosplayer having Ian "free" her.

Oh boy...I hope he behaved himself for the interview and didn't go too egotistical or schizo on you Jason. Looking forward to the Ian interview and Q&A videos tho. Good job :)

A Bumblekinger got a better shot of the #255 cover. It may still be fuzzy, but it's easier to make out stuff. Spoilered for size and in case you don't want to be spoiled.

CameraZOOM-20130721131552281_zps341a2a5b

• Thumbs Up 2

A Bumblekinger got a better shot of the #255 cover. It may still be fuzzy, but it's easier to make out stuff. Spoilered for size and in case you don't want to be spoiled.

CameraZOOM-20130721131552281_zps341a2a5b

Well with the hints Ian gave out on Bumbleking, I can guess that it's the Iron King.