Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I think Eggman actually wants to win this war.

Say what you will about Sally, but the comic presents her as a competent tactician, she DID lead the invasion against Eggman in 198-200, imagine what would happened to the FF if that kind of tactical skill was turned against them?

Edited by Soniman032-

Say what you will about Sally, but the comic presents her as a competent tactician, she DID lead the invasion against Eggman in 198-200, imagine what would happened to the FF if that kind of tactical skill was turned against them?

One giant post addressing something that makes no damn sense and the others that I actually want to engage in.

First off, romance may have been a part, and I use that word liberally, of the source material( for real, I thought you were talking about Mass Effect here), but it was nowhere near as prevalent. As VEJI pointed out, there were never huge substantial episodes of SATAM dedicated to romance and nothing but romance. It never drove character motive like the whole Sonic and Tails fight which I will bring up later. It was done in teases so drop that argument right there. And we are talking about a source that in itself a very small part of the franchise and hardly representational of the entire franchise, but since you want to bring up the "source material," something that I watched as a kid, then okay it is on. Nobody, here, wants Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor, or Uncle Chuck to be gone because they have never controlled a substantial part of the book. They serve their purpose as side characters whose interests who stay tangible for a few issues. The only person who has made such assertion is Chooch, but damn does he ever make his presence a constant reminder,right? Just because the book has gotten better about the romance,which isn't saying much because it was nothing but a highschool drama previously, doesn't mean there isn't any right to complain and just because that romantic teases of the source were there, doesn't mean that it was a substantial part of the source.

Second, character development? What character development? Sonic hasn't learned anything. He is still the same hyperactive, belligerent, blue hedgehog that he has always been, but admittedly, that has to do with Sega. Sally hasn't developed at all as opposed to merely given random, desirable traits. The only characters that has received any cognizable development in the past 300 issues including Sonic Universe and Knuckles are Rotor, Antoine, Eggman(who fucking needed it because he was derailed to Team Rocket status), and Scourge. Tails has been reduced to nothing, but the head mechanic whose status of being Sonic's best friend is nothing but an informed status. Knuckles is completely insulated from the main cast with a whole heap of characters with him. Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Amy, Blaze, and Cream are reduced to having their own mini-adventures that mean nothing to the central focus of the story. People who do have an issue with the comic complain about the lack of interaction that Sonic has with any other character which is a valid complaint. It becomes a comic book with Sonic in it which it shouldn't be.

Finally, so what if SEGA endorses it? SEGA is a corporation who is only out to make money. SEGA sees it as nothing more than promotion to sell their games. Assassin's Creed has tons of side material which was approved by Ubisoft and not the AC team that the actual creators do ignore. Sonic Team, the people who actually made the damn franchise, do not recognize the book and has gone out its way to ignore it. I also like to point out why the comic series is so successful. It is not the writing which people have taken issue with. It is the success of the games.

Look at them. Grown ass men and women loving a franchise that is targeted at little girls. They are going gaga over magical ponies. Why? Because each character is written wonderfully and each tale is logically well told. Not one pony, dragon, or whatever has some bland personality that encompasses the entire book and just doesn't fit. Young Justice is targeted at teenage boys yet that doesn't excuse Greg Weisman to write anything he damn well pleases. Point is that just because it is a children's book does not stop it from being written well nor is it a excuse for poor writing. As I love the subtle interchanging of the terms "romance stories" and "personal stories," lets differentiate between the concepts. A conceptual definition for each term. Personal stories aren't just romance. They aren't just between a male and female or any character that is romantically involved. It could have to do with family, friends, or just nemesis, and that should be enough to drive a plot. As I noted earlier, Sonic and Tails had that very unnecessary element thrown into their fight. Tails had every motivation to be against Sonic since his dad was thrown in prison by the king, whether it was just or unjust is up to interpretation, and Sonic criticized the rebellion, calling it stupid. Tails didn't and shouldn't have needed Sonic's involvement with Fiona because Tails had enough motivation and the fight already had an emotional and personal story. Yet we get tacked with the redundant element of "You stole the woman that I loved" which was the main reason or enough of a reason to make Tails attack essentially his brother and hero. It makes Tails look a petty child, Sonic look like a douche, and the writer look incredibly short sided.

Stories where Rotor went to save his family and friends from being pawns of Eggman or Bunnie fought Sonic for the freedom of a certain DEL group from the Sandblasters are great stories that didn't have to be driven by shit that is plaguing the book. Tales where Tails had to fight an entire armada of birds to save his newlywed friends from being prisoners are welcome. Quests about Sonic going on a date with Sally and nothing else like in 222 suck. Stories about Sonic, Monkey Khan, Sally, and Tails traveling to the Dragon Kingdom to convince the clans to leave the Iron Dominion only to turn into nothing but a girl vacationing to her new love interest's kingdom while her old one just obsesses over them while dismembering their enemy's alliances on the side. All of this while her kingdom is under siege and in desperate need for reinforcements.

It also shows the other character's potential. Tails lacks the ambition of Miles, but if he had just a little, Tails could be a force to be reckoned with.

How on Earth is Cochrane letting that topic fly?! He knows full well what 4Chan is!

Edit: And it's made it exponentially more difficult to lead a double-life between SoA and BK unfettered.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Why is it a non canon character

Stop right there. This is a whole nother universe. Every character is canon here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stop right there. This is a whole nother universe. Every character is canon here.

I think he means, why is it that someone who should be a supporting character at best have just as much, if not more plot significance than the main character himself while everyone else is lucky enough to even tag along.

IGN: How has fan reaction been to the outpouring of major storylines coming from Sonic and Mega Man?

Kaminski: Nothin' but love!

Maybe the traitor to the FFs ends up being Sally (Given her new Eggman makeover) and she somehow ends up releasing Iblis sometime in the future?

Maybe the traitor to the FFs ends up being Sally (Given her new Eggman makeover) and she somehow ends up releasing Iblis sometime in the future?

The Echidna clan artwork leads me to believe that Chaos will be throw in too (which was hinted by the Cat country mini-arc)

Possibly a battle between the titans of water and flames? (also it could tie into the whole "Iblis is the Sol dimension's Chaos" theory)

If Chaos shows up again, I hope Tikal isn't merged with him like in that "30 years later arc." Granted, if it happens, I don't plan on getting particularly upset, since that won't change anything, but I'd prefer if she weren't tortured again just for the sake of being "shocking" and "dark."

...Which is kind of funny for me to say, since I don't have as much of a problem with

Sally's roboticization. I guess that's mostly since I feel like she'll still get a chance to be "cool" as a robot.

Why the hell did I see a glimpse of the Joker in Eggman's smile on that IGN page?

Why the hell did I see a glimpse of the Joker in Eggman's smile on that IGN page?

Hahaha, poor delusional fool. I do feel sorry for him.

The thing is...he is half-right.

Archie Megaman is beloved by the fans. Then again, Megaman has an airtight continuity and rare moments of shipping if you discount Battle Network and Starforce. Really, the damn thing told itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

That, and he’s a salesman. Being depressed, negative, and self critical about your product usually doesn’t sell unless you’re a twelve year old on fanfiction.net. Also, I get the impression that younger fans generally don't have a problem with a lot of the complaints the series gets.

I was honestly expecting this huge backlash of hate and condescension. Not that I was hoping for it, but I was expecting it.

Anyways, thanks.

Oh don't worry, there was reasonable backlash, I simply just don't have the time these days to engage in a pointless discussion akin to bashing my head against a wall with someone who's primary complaint for all things bad in the comic amounts to their simple hate for one character.

Dusk Golem summed it up quite well. The way people bitch on and on here is as if all the wrongs in the world stem from a few small romance plots in a comic, it is utterly ridiculous.

Don't think the SU#33 preview is due until Wednesday. Don't ask when the cover previews for StH#233/SU#36 will be, because I have no clue.

Edit: Just read Shigamodo's review of Sth#226-229 (aka Genesis). Can't find a single point I disagree on, especially not how dull it was (and that was just from the worded spoilers, before I saw the pages).

Read the description of the Sonic/Sally relationship dominating where it shouldn't, too;

"One was supposed to focus on the villainous wizard, Iron Queen taking control of Mobotropolis, but half the story was focused on Sally dating a cyborg monkey and Sonic not liking it. The current arc is supposed to focus on the…villainous wizard, Ixis Naugus taking control of Mobotropolis (I’m starting to see a pattern here), but half the focus has been on Sally and Sonic dating again."

It makes me pine for SEGA and Nintendo to give the go-ahead for a Mario and Sonic crossover comic even more, just to read this;

"This arc is focused on the villanous wizard, Bowser Koopa taking control of Mobotropolis. He makes sure to kidnap Princess Sally as well as Princess Peach for good measure. He was also appparently sick of all the dating focus and just did it to make his starring role actually mean something".

Hahahaha. So let me get this right....you'd rather see a crappy Sonic/Mario crossover than an officially SEGA endorsed comic series which has romance between Sonic and Sally?

Sorry if I don't take your opinion too seriously. That's like being a Sonic fan and more excited for Mario and Sonic London olympic whatever than Sonic Generations. Has the Sally hate camp really stooped that far?

The Echidna clan artwork leads me to believe that Chaos will be throw in too (which was hinted by the Cat country mini-arc)

Possibly a battle between the titans of water and flames? (also it could tie into the whole "Iblis is the Sol dimension's Chaos" theory)

Hmm. The Sol dimension is an alternate dimension though. Iblis is from the future. As far as I can tell the future is not the Sol dimension so I don't see how that could tie Iblis into being the Sol Dimension's "Chaos".

An epic battle between the two could still happen and be really cool though.

The thing is...he is half-right.

Archie Megaman is beloved by the fans. Then again, Megaman has an airtight continuity and rare moments of shipping if you discount Battle Network and Starforce. Really, the damn thing told itself.

I think he's completely right. Sonic's been going on for almost 20 years. The detractors of the comic are by FAR in the minority. They're just extremely loud thanks to the internet.

Hahahaha. So let me get this right....you'd rather see a crappy Sonic/Mario crossover than an officially SEGA endorsed comic series which has romance between Sonic and Sally?

Sorry if I don't take your opinion too seriously. That's like being a Sonic fan and more excited for Mario and Sonic London olympic whatever than Sonic Generations. Has the Sally hate camp really stooped that far?

Makes sense to me. Why would anyone want to see crappy romance over a crossover between two of gamings biggest stars?

• Thumbs Up 6

Makes sense to me. Why would anyone want to see crappy romance over a crossover between two of gamings biggest stars?

What about a crappy romance between two of gaming's biggest stars? Sonmario anyone? tongue.png

On a more serious note, while I hesitate to call Archie Megaman "better" than Archie Sonic, I'll admit that it's definitely simpler and easy to understand. Archie Sonic is basically DIC's SatAM cartoon mixed with elements of almost every other Sonic continuity. The Megaman comic, however, is only trying to be an alternate telling of the video games, and isn't trying to mix itself with, say, the Ruby Spears cartoon. But again, your mileage may vary as to whether greater simplicity equals better quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any descriptions of them yet?

And why are the covers 1 image? isn't their seprate ones?

Edited by goku262002