Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

2 minutes ago, Toby said:

I'm so freaking happy to see that Tracy is coming back!

It's been too long.  Last issue he did, excluding the little bit of work for Worlds Unite was #262 if I recall.  The long break, and the fact that he'll be drawing Sonic's origin story almost makes me wish it was called "Genesis of a Yardley" :P

1 hour ago, Mister X said:

Are people not allowed to have different opinions of things?

Honestly I was just completely expecting KKM to hate it even if it met every single solitary thing he wanted to see from it. And even then it's less that he has a different opinion and more that it seems he just wants to find something to complain about more than anything.

Anyway The best Buds Variant is a little Amateurish. I don't know it's just not great. But I love that Genesis of a Hero is going to basically go through Sonic 1 in the first issue and then just move on to what happened next for Sonic. I'm assuming showing how he inspired the Freedom Fighters *Dodges Bottle Lodged by KKM* and how he met Tails and stuff like that.

Also Tracy Yardley drawing Classic Sonic. Fuck. Yeah! It doesn't happen a lot but the few times we've seen Yardley drawn Classic Sonic (Real Classic Sonic not Genesis Classic Sonic) have been glorious.

The Case of the Pirate Princess sounds ridiculous and amazing and I want it now. Seriously this sounds like it'll be a blast.

And Next Level is going to be 48 pages long. Cool. They must have heard the complaints about the first one being standard length.

SBR if you want to keep playing tsundere with me I'll be expecting you to buy me dinner eventually. Paypal me. I'm Portuguese, a nice dinner of Codfish and Port wine? 10/10.

The premise for the new Chaotix arc looks cool. The new covers do too, in general- even the kinda weird variant for "Genesis of a Hero" got me smiling because it reminded me of the Game Gear games. Even if probably not intentionally. Premise not at all as interesting, but eh. Seeing all these cool classic Sonic covers is making me lament how in a few months, that'll be over. Bleh.

EDIT: That said, that Next Level solicit? "The sequel to the hit Sonic: Mega Drive is here"? Come on, Archie. It's not a sequel, it's issue 2 :V

• Thumbs Up 5

Completely overlooked Next Level's page count.  Suddenly my hype somehow got higher.  Speaking of Mega Drive, I think it's worth pointing out that Lovallo drew the off panel, which is funny after my open comments on wanting more art contributions from him.  I wanted a cover from him and made one.  I wanted an off panel and he made one.  Now if we can just get the pencilling done...

Oh, hey, "The Next Level" is going to be double-sized? Neat. Maybe they'll wrap up the Ancient Gears story with this one? I was originally hoping "Mega Drive" would've been a 48-page special as well, and considering how it turned out, I wouldn't have minded paying the $1 premium for more story.

Looking forward to the new Chaotix arc, as well!

32 minutes ago, The KKM said:

SBR if you want to keep playing tsundere with me I'll be expecting you to buy me dinner eventually. Paypal me. I'm Portuguese, a nice dinner of Codfish and Port wine? 10/10.

http://www.shortpacked.com/index.php?id=2092 The last panel sums up our relationship perfectly I think. Although I think you're older than me despite me being in Ethan's place.

Anyway I kinda hope that the extended length of Next Level might be a sign of the return of 48 Page Specials. I'd love to see those make a comeback.

• Thumbs Up 2

IDW's trying to return to having holiday specials, I'd enjoy that here too. Maybe just a Summer one since I dunno how feasible two 48 page specials a year would be.

EDIT: sorry, meant IDW's trying to return to holiday specials on Disney Comics. Forgot to specify.

I remember when reading through Sonic the Comic, that I thought the holiday specials were a pretty neat thing to do. If IDW is bringing the concept back up, I'd be all for Archie doing the same.

• Thumbs Up 4

That reminds me. I know it'd be a really niche thing, but I'd really love to see Archie sometime do some StC cover variants. Like, it wouldn't be able to literally be variants about Sonic the Comic (IE with Tekno and AoSTH Robotnik and Grrl Power Amy), but seeing guys like Richard Elson or Nigel Kitching asked to do variant covers. It'd be a nice homage. (I probably already expressed this desire here and forgot about it)

• Thumbs Up 6

Genesis of a Hero takes place between Sonic 1 and 2? So I guess we'll see Sonic and Tails meeting. Neat.

19 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Oh, hey, "The Next Level" is going to be double-sized? Neat. Maybe they'll wrap up the Ancient Gears story with this one? I was originally hoping "Mega Drive" would've been a 48-page special as well, and considering how it turned out, I wouldn't have minded paying the $1 premium for more story.

Looking forward to the new Chaotix arc, as well!

I don't think it'll wrap up. Surely they'll want enough issues to make a TPB.

if it doesn't wrap up it better go into an actual issue 2 instead of them pretending they're doing more "sequels"

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, The KKM said:

That reminds me. I know it'd be a really niche thing, but I'd really love to see Archie sometime do some StC cover variants. Like, it wouldn't be able to literally be variants about Sonic the Comic (IE with Tekno and AoSTH Robotnik and Grrl Power Amy), but seeing guys like Richard Elson or Nigel Kitching asked to do variant covers. It'd be a nice homage. (I probably already expressed this desire here and forgot about it)

That would b awesome and Nigel Dobbyn I think already has done some art of Archie Sonic Characters so it wouldn't be too unlikely.

I know he has, I paid him to, so he's probably up for it if Archie were to contact him :V

I just read yeasterday Mega Drive. It marks my first bought issue of Archie's Sonic. In physical form. So I was extra hyped to read. As for my thoughts...

Spoiler

I LOOOVEEE the art style. Enviroments are rich and characters very expresive. Getting a vibe of Sonic OVA in it. Story was very simple but we have here a showcase of main characters, main villan and muggufins are introduced here. Some may say it was to fast, but honestly there wasn't too much story to begin with. And thats fine becuse thanks to that characters can shine. I love the portayals off all of them. (I will always adore the scene where Eggman asks Sonic to get down. And that sad/scared moustache.) And those expresions, oh the expresions. Yeah they are instant memes, but why is that a bad thing? They fit both the story and characters' personalieties, and that's the most important thing. Can't wait for The Next Level.

Off-topic is an interesting twist for both, a Genie plot and &Knuckles meme. It was good.

Aaaand to the news:

17 minutes ago, The KKM said:

That said, that Next Level solicit? "The sequel to the hit Sonic: Mega Drive is here"? Come on, Archie. It's not a sequel, it's issue 2 :V

Well, it's a direct continuation, so technicly it's a sequel ;)

As for that Best Buds variant, Sonic looks like Micky Mouse with a quills. His face is too round for my taste.

Waiting for Worlds Unite: The Complete Epic. I had so much fun with Worlds Collide that I just can't wait ^_^

Also, do you think that I can start reading that new Universe arc without knowing curents events in main series? 

11 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

Waiting for Worlds Unite: The Complete Epic. I had so much fun with Worlds Collide that I just can't wait ^_^

Also, do you think that I can start reading that new Universe arc without knowing curents events in main series? 

1) Hate to burst your bubble, but Worlds Unite isn't anywhere near Worlds Collide's level of quality. Prepare for massive disappointment.

2) Yeah, SU arcs tend to be pretty standalone stories. You won't need to read anything else to enjoy this new Chaotix arc.

6 minutes ago, The KKM said:

if it doesn't wrap up it better go into an actual issue 2 instead of them pretending they're doing more "sequels"

Pretty sure that if the current pace of the story from issue 1 carries over to TNL they'll be able to wrap it up...

Spoiler

If they stick to the linear "go to a stage, defeat Dr Robotnik Eggman and gain a Chaos Gear" plot progression that they used in #1, they'll definitely have time to do 4 more zones for the remaining Chaos Gears (yes I'm calling them for shortness and because it sounds cool, keep up) and the final boss "zone" with metal sonic and that. I mean, it's gonna be double the length of the first issue so they'll definitely have enough space to do all that with plenty of time to spare.

Also, something else I'll probably mention: Archie probably intended for Mega Drive to be a two-parter thing from the start but didn't tell us that just so it could be a really neat surprise later on when they made a big reveal of it everywhere to critical acclaim sorta just mentioned it an IGN interview at the last minute (not sure that was the best way for them to announce TNL, but whatever). I extremely doubt that they divided it up later on because to be perfectly honest, that sounds like a silly idea that would've resulted in this issue being much, much more spaced out overall (which it really wasn't). Labeling The Next Level as Issue 1 again is kinda iffy, but WHO CARES GOOD COMICS.

tl;dr: Pacing will be fine, since it was probably made to be a two-issue thing.

8 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

1) Hate to burst your bubble, but Worlds Unite isn't anywhere near Worlds Collide's level of quality. Prepare for massive disappointment.

Man letting people read things for themselves and deciding if they find it disappointing is overrated. :P

If people are allowed to mention the consensus on things like the Penders era or specific arcs like Iron Dominion, they're allowed to mention the consensus here. Unfortunately, the consensus for Worlds Unite seems to be between "meh" and "dislike". 

• Thumbs Up 8

19 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Still waiting anyway. At best I will be presently suprised. At worst I'll show Archie that someone wants to buy those big volumes and maybe they'll realese Mega Man: Master Edition :( (hope dies last)

18 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

Hide contents

tl;dr: Pacing will be fine, since it was probably made to be a two-issue thing.

Oh, I really doubt they divided it later on as well. But "neat surprise"? That's a very kind way of seeing the more likely "pretend there's no part 2 in order to incentivise the purchase of part 1, despite planning for part 2 from the start" :P

6 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

Still waiting anyway. At best I will be presently suprised. At worst I'll show Archie that someone wants to buy those big volumes and maybe they'll realese Mega Man: Master Edition :( (hope dies last)

No, hope rides alone. And Archie's reprints? They are the dead.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

If people are allowed to mention the consensus on things like the Penders era or specific arcs like Iron Dominion, they're allowed to mention the consensus here. Unfortunately, the consensus for Worlds Unite seems to be between "meh" and "dislike". 

I agree.

And I liked Iorn Dominion dammit

Hey, I liked Iron Dominion too. You ain't the only one...though it could have done without the SallyXKhan thing.

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

No, he was being sarcastic about KKM. 

Well I guess my sarcasm detector malfunctioned a bit. Excuse me.

Aleah Baker is co-writing The case of the Pirate Princess. Once again Archie forgets to Credit her.

Just now, SBR2 said:

Aleah Baker is co-writing The case of the Pirate Princess. Once again Archie forgets to Credit her.

Aside from the blunder, this has me even more excited, since her off panels are some of the best, so she's probably well suited for a more comedic story like this.

I wonder if she's a co-writer because of inputting on the Meropis people.