Awoo.

Mega Man Universe [CANCELLED]

Ekaje

Wait wait wait, this game they've been plugging for a while, that people are looking forward to, just suddenly gets canned. Something doesn't add up.

Haha, screw you too man :v

So yeah, I guess it's still true. You know what that means, guys?

Thats right! Mega Man is practically dead! MML3 was never greenlighted, this game is cancelled, and the only thing to look forward to is an Archie comic series that will probably never get that much publicity. Looks like there's nothing left of the Blue Bomber.. is this it? ;_;

Wait, wasn't there also a Megaman MMORPG in development? Whatever happened to that?

So if they believe Megaman isn't popular here in the West...what are the chances we'll never get a Megaman ZX3 then? :o

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

So if they believe Megaman isn't popular here in the West...what are the chances we'll never get a Megaman ZX3 then? :o

Very unlikely to begin with, considering how one hasn't happened yet.

They think he isn't popular? I guess this explains why he was a no show in MVC3. Still kinda pissed about that. :/ To me not having Megaman on the Capcom side is like not having Spiderman on the Marvel side. Inexcusably idiotic.

Anyway I'm not too upset about this getting canceled, but I am kinda worried about Legends 3 now. :(

Hmm...unpopular?

Well, there's a little something called MARKETING, that tends to sell your products. I mean, seriously, I didn't even hear about any of the subsequent sequels to Mega Man Star Transmission, or whatever it was called, unless I checked the Mega Man Wiki. And then they developed all these spin-offs that no one gave a shit, while having nothing to do with the original story(ies) that never even had a chance to conclude, do you really think people are going to keep giving a shit?

Didn't they take cues from Mega Man 9 and 10? Those got a lot of attention and, to my knowledge, sold rather well, simply by returning to the original Mega Man, rather than focusing on Mega Man's distant cousin's brother's father's son's mother's great-great-great-great-grandson's battle with throwaway villain #7. I mean, I love Mega Man's X and Zero, but it was just getting way too damn convoluted, and each spin-off series looked less and less like the original Mega Man. The return to form was needed...strangely enough, just 7 or so years ago, the opposite was the problm.

But with that said, Mega Man Universe looked like it was of the same ilk in terms of a retro revival, and that would have only spelled success for Capcom. Sure, the art-style was balls, but they were addressing that. And no way they can go back on Legends 3, that's all I heard about for days after its announcement.

Mega Man's not popular in the west....pffft.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait, if Megaman's 9 and 10 sold very well...where the fuck are they basing their claim that Megaman hasn't sold well in the here in the west?

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait, if Megaman's 9 and 10 sold very well...where the fuck are they basing their claim that Megaman hasn't sold well in the here in the west?

Once again, it was a joke.

Once again, it was a joke.

so it was confirmed to be an april fools thing or is it actually true that it's been cancelled?

Edited by LunarEdge

• 1 month later...

1up recently had an interview with Inafune that included a few comments related to Universe and its cancellation.

1UP: Speaking of downloadable titles, last year you were very involved in promoting Mega Man Universe for Capcom. There was even a trailer with you on camera saying “Your world, Megafied.” A short while ago Capcom canceled that project. Were you disappointed to hear that? Were you surprised when it happened?

Keiji Inafune: Yeah, I was very disappointed at that outcome for several reasons. One, they kind of started to cancel the game as soon as I left, which made it sort of like I was the only one pushing for it. And it wasn’t just a game that I personally wanted to make, it was a game that, again, represents what I think the steps that are required for a Japanese company to take in order to realize the value of download content. They need to use a brand name that has value in the West — and Mega Man is definitely one of those brands I think — and put it into digital content so that Western gamers can purchase that and get excited about it. And if it’s successful then, as I said before, they’ll start to market it properly and start to work on making downloadable content in Japan that will sell like the West does.

So I felt there was a lot of potential with that title and it could have represented a very important step for the company to take in realizing the value of digital content, and now they’re right back where they started a few years ago in not understanding digital content and not [being] able to keep up with the West in that area. So yes, I was very disappointed.

1UP: Is it in some way flattering that it continued without you, that it’ll keep going, or is it kind of sad that it’s going to go on without you?

KI: Dead Rising, Mega Man, these are all Capcom’s IPs, so whether they want to continue to make sequels or outright stop making those brands, those franchises, that’s up to Capcom and I really don’t have a big say in it, but I can say this: for a game that I developed or had a clear concept of, to watch that game, to watch that concept be twisted and changed to the point that it no longer feels what that original game was supposed to symbolize, that’s kind of sad because that’s not the vision, that’s not what I had in mind for that series. To have it be changed so drastically or radically, if that ever does happen to one of the franchises I’ve created that would be very disappointing.