Awoo.

Mega Man Universe [CANCELLED]

Ekaje

MMU.png?t=1279304710

Mega Man Universe was to be a new installment in the Mega Man series, downloadable for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, allowing for user created stages and characters using setpieces and characters from the Mega Man franchise, as well as other Capcom series.

It was cancelled on March 31, 2011.

Edited by Ekaje

I hate you so goddamn much. Damn my internet connection. I wanted to be first. D:

I'm happy to see that they have big ambitions for this game, whatever it is. It was hoping for a bigger retail game, but this could be cool.

The name makes it sound like an MMO...

There exists a Mega Man MMO called Rockman/Mega Man online, and for a while people speculated that Mega Man Universe would be that when the copyright for the name was leaked, but now that it's been formally announced it looks to be something completely different. Edited by The Soldier

I hate you so goddamn much. Damn my internet connection. I wanted to be first. D:

I'm happy to see that they have big ambitions for this game, whatever it is. It was hoping for a bigger retail game, but this could be cool.There exists a Mega Man MMO called Rockman/Mega Man online, and for a while people speculated that Mega Man Universe would be that when the copyright for the name was leaked, but now that it's been formally announced it looks to be something completely different.

Yeah, the Mega Man MMO is a currently Korea-exclusive game based around the X series, while this looks like a Classic game that seems to be a crossover with other Capcom franchises.

Also, I demand that American boxart Mega Man be playable.

Edited by Ekaje

This sounds pretty promising. I've been a fan of Mega Man since the early 1990's, but these days I'm not that much of a fan. My old best friend was a huge fan of Mega Man back then and he got me into the series. I really thought Mega Man 2 was the best. Unfortunately, I don't own a PS3 or XBox 360 in order to play this. I do have a Wii and apparently it's not gonna be for the Wii... plus I don't have a way to get online with my Wii anyway... yeah, I don't have the stuff in back of my TV or whatever.

..What did I just watch?

That was kinda weird. I'm not saying it was bad, but just weird.

I jusr watched the trailer and I really liked it. I liked the music.. Not sure about the game. I'm not very good at Megaman games, besides the Starforce series, but I like them. I'm really interested to see how this game turns out, though..

Holy shit that trailer was amazing. I love Capcom's sense of comedy and parody, it's been fantastic lately.

Seems interesing. Would be brilliant if BoxartMan was playable or something. ;)

I think it would be kind of cool if the graphic style mimicked this commercial( minus the real world)

I have no idea what to say about this announcement.

Actually, scratch that, I have two things to say.

1) That trailer was awesome. Loved the bit at the end with the box art!

2) WHY MUST I ONLY OWN A Wii FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Sounds...interesting, to say the least.

Not the biggest MegaMan fan, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I really enjoyed the trailer espically the crossovers with Street Fighter and Ghost and Goblins. Though it does make me wonder what sort of game it's going to be.

I've been a fan of the Mega Man games since 94, I believe. I would play Mega Man 3 and 4 to death when I was little, and I've also played just about every game in the series. I just hope that somehow the Legends incarnation of Mega Man will surface in this game.

...okay, that was the most awkward trailer I've ever seen.

I actually liked it, but that was definitetly not what I was expecting.

....Mega Man Kirby? I mean it seems he turns into other Capcom characters that's what I got from the trailer. >_>

Depending on how big the game is GB wise, I can understand why it isn't coming to the Wii. But if its lower than 4 GB, no. It could've been ported via Retail Disk.

But if its lower than 4 GB, no. It could've been ported via Retail Disk.

All current generation consoles are capable of reading DVD-DL (~8GB). So technically any reasonable size could be written to a disc..

Depending on how big the game is GB wise, I can understand why it isn't coming to the Wii. But if its lower than 4 GB, no. It could've been ported via Retail Disk.

Pretty much any downloadable title on PSN/XBLA can fit on a disc, but it's discouraging to see that Wii owners would willingly accept a watered down port of a downloadable game as a retail game- likely with a retail price.

I'm not trying to flame Wii owners or the Wii(which is by far my most used system), but I at least hope most of us have higher standards than this.

I'm not sure what to expect. And I'm not sure I'm feeling positively about this game. I suspect they're trying to tap into the power nostalgia.

In any case, more information is needed before I can make a serious judgement about it.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180510

A live blog teased the game some more. You can find all the Mega Man related bits below.

Mike Nelson:

last but not least, Mega Man Universe

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:19

Mike Nelson:

Inafune is here to talk about his game.

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:20

Mike Nelson:

"I've come today to talk about this newly announced Mega Man project. and I'd like to introduce the producer who will be working with me on this. Ikaka Ahito. I'm not sure I spelled her name right."

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:21

Mike Nelson:

"The game won't be out for a little while yet. Please support us as you provide more information later." and now back to Inafune.

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:22

Mike Nelson:

you=we

Mike Nelson:

"I'd like to talk about Mega Man's history, first."

Mike Nelson:

He's talking about how Mega Man's true name is Rock Man, and how he thought it was always a goofy name (the Mega Man). He wasn't crazy about the old man pictures that was on the original box arts. "I know from personal experience, that more people come up to me and tell me how much of a Mega Man fan they are. This happens more in America than in a fan. The funny thing is is that they all introduce themselves as '#1 Mega Man" fan. So let's settle this. Who in this room is the #1 fan?"

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:25

Mike Nelson:

"Ok, lets meet at the Capcom booth and you guys will have to fight for the crown. I'm kidding, please don't punch each other. Ok, let's talk Mega Man Universe what a lot of you came for. As a lot of you know there is a trailer and is designed to be mysterious, in that it doesn't show what the game is about."

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:27

Mike Nelson:

"This trailer came about that everyone has their own idea what Mega Man is and what it means to them."

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:27

Mike Nelson:

"Everyone has their own perception of what Mega Man is. Our eelings in mfaking this game is a platform in that people can play as their favorite mega man, or their favorite character, to encourage imaginative play with this game."

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:28

Mike Nelson:

"The goal of Mega Man Universe is for you to play as the Mega Man of your dreams."

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:29

Mike Nelson:

"The goal is to have Mega Man fans unite together in one place" (sounds like multiplayer of some sort) "I can't go into detail, but you might have an idea of what I'm talking about. And for those who haven't seen the trailer, we're going to show that right now."

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:30

Mike Nelson:

and again, this trailer is pretty great. These props are actually at the Capcom booth.

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:31

Mike Nelson:

"I know the trailer is a little mysterious, but what did you think?" Applause, of course. "We'll do our best to get this game into a playable form as soon as possible. We'll have more Mega Man Universe news coming in the near future. I feel bad that you call came here....but I'm going to let you in on stuff that the press doesn't even know..." But I'm HERE

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:33

Mike Nelson:

"Of course Mega Man Universe is someting I've always wanted to make. But there are other things going on in Mega Man for this year. There are going to be more Mega Man announcements forthcoming. I will tell you that it is an 'oft-requested thing'"

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:35

Mike Nelson:

the crowd starts to shout titles, to which he only responds "Thank You"

Thursday July 22, 2010 5:35

Mike Nelson:

so that's about it. The man is like Yoda. So we'll have to wait a little longer for more Mega Man Universe news, but it looks like we'll probably hear something sooner than that regarding an "oft-requested" Mega Man game.

From what little they teased, it sounds like the game has online functionality, which is probably why it isn't coming to Wii.

They also promise the announcement of an "often requested" Mega Man game. Will we finally get Legends 3? Or perhaps another Mega Man X?

Often requested... Better be X9, or Maverick Hunter X2. Something X related to keep me happy.

MOAR.

"The goal of Mega Man Universe is for you to play as the Mega Man of your dreams." "The goal is to have Mega Man fans unite together in one place."

When he says "Mega Man of your dreams", I wonder if he means that there will be many incarnations of Mega Man playable, or perhaps a highly customizable Mega Man?

And an oft-requested title... That could be many things. Legends 3? X9? ZX3?...plz :-(

Or maybe in Japan fans are really demanding EXE7. :lol: Or even worse, they announce a localization of Operation Shooting Star. :P (j/k on both counts).

And when they say soon, do they mean at Comic-Con?

Edited by Ekaje

"The goal of Mega Man Universe is for you to play as the Mega Man of your dreams." "The goal is to have Mega Man fans unite together in one place."

When he says "Mega Man of your dreams", I wonder if he means that there will be many incarnation of Mega Man playable, or perhaps a highly customizable Mega Man?

And an oft-requested title... That could be many things. Legends 3? X9? ZX3?...plz :-(

Or maybe in Japan fans are really demanding EXE7. :lol: Or even worse, they announce a localization of Operation Shooting Star. :P

As for the Mega Man of your dreams, that's the vibe I'm getting.

For oft-requested, I doubt it's ZX3. My friend (who's big on the entire series, on the state-side front at least) had summarized the ZX plot, and it sounded like it all wrapped up after 2. As for EXE 7, well... I'm getting a feeling the crossover will get localized is a bit more likely, if at all.

As for the Mega Man of your dreams, that's the vibe I'm getting.

For oft-requested, I doubt it's ZX3. My friend (who's big on the entire series, on the state-side front at least) had summarized the ZX plot, and it sounded like it all wrapped up after 2. As for EXE 7, well... I'm getting a feeling the crossover will get localized is a bit more likely, if at all.

Though that one was a half-joke, since ZX is pretty much dead since Advent sold badly in Japan. And EXE7 and OSS were jokes too, since EXE actually had an ending to the series, telling what happened to the characters after the series, and OSS is just a port of EXE1 with ONE extra scenario near the end, and a few new battlechips, plus it sold really badly in Japan.

--------

EDIT: Also, both EXE and Star Force got endings, and then they had Complete Works art books released. ZX, however does not have a Complete Works. Hmmm.....

On a completely unrelated note, damn, it's hard to type with all these straws in my hands.

Edited by Ekaje

Though that one was a half-joke, since ZX is pretty much dead since Advent sold badly in Japan. And EXE7 and OSS were jokes too, since EXE actually had an ending to the series, telling what happened to the character after the series, and OSS is just a port of EXE1 with ONE extra scenario near the end, and a few new battlechips, plus it sold really badly in Japan

Wait, so that's all OSS is? Wow, I was expecting too much. I thought it was a brand new story from the ground-up.