Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

Sorry for double post.

Could we maybe change the name of this topic, so it's just a topic about the voice actors in general?

I'm happy with the German voice :) The French one sounds like Roger to me.

I don't like the German VA...he's so unenthusiastic. The others are ok though. The best ones are the English and Japanese actors.

My Initial reaction:

Shinji-Hirako.jpg

Sonic's new voice? Seriously? I'll never take this series seriously again.

..but sure enough...he's getting better at it. hell, Griffith did pretty good with the role in the years, So I had no problems.

Edited by Shinigami

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I love Sonic's new voice, it's hard to picture Griffith's now. In Generations his voice seems to have improved slightly after Colours too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh... not really a fan of the new cast... and the previous ones... except Mike Pollock, he's awesome. I just play the games in Japanese (when there's the option) now of days. I kinda like Griffith more than Roger, because, well... I'm not sure... Roger just sounds... off to me.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally I love Sonic's new voice, it's hard to picture Griffith's now. In Generations his voice seems to have improved slightly after Colours too.

He sounded more higher pitched in Generations. I'm not sure if I really like that but I'll be fine with it if as long as he doesn't go any higher then that.

Roger sounds awful in the new Olympics game. And I thought he was good in Colours/Generations, too.

Well, they are just redoing voice clips from the old cast mostly. But I probably need to hear him for myself.

I hate Vector's new voice. He sounds just like the 4kids actor, only marginally better. But... I don't like Vector sounding like a muppet. :/

4:20 and 4:50 here are some good examples of what I'm talking about. He does have a few good lines/grunts but there's quite a few bad ones like these too.

Edited by XD375

I'm not blaming Roger either. Sonic has a history of good actors being hindered by bad direction (Ryan Drummond and even Jason Griffith could do so much better than their in-game lines, for example).

This is pretty horrible.

2:30's "Alright!" and the "It's all about speed!" at the end are standout bad lines.

Edited by XD375

They sound pretty poor to me. He's putting emphasis in the wrong places or is lacking it altogether, and doesn't sound anywhere near as good as he does in Free Riders, Colours and Generations. It's almost like he's trying to impersonate how drunk Griffith sounded sometimes. The few random clips in this game are an exception though. The rest of the time he's been great.

The acting in the Olympic Games videos made me cring a little and thats one of the few times where I'd though Roger sounded pretty off.

Having played Mario & Sonic 3 I'll just throw it in there that I don't like the sound of Smith as Sonic because I never did, but I will admit that he did do a pretty top notch job in Free Riders. Here, not so much.

Aside from that, it looks like there's been another change in direction for Pollock as well - Eggman sounds considerably deeper and gruffer now than in the previous two instalments, and in contrast Nega is noticeably higher pitched and more robust. Did they switch vocal cords or something?

Unfortunately Cream doesn't speak long enough to judge properly, which is a shame given how amazing Ruff is with that role. Strassman did a fantastic job as Rouge again, though! She's easily her best iteration. Bailey also continues to be a great Omochao, and O'Shaughnessy is a fantastic Charmy.

Knuckles, Vector, Silver, Shadow, and Espio are all very inoffensive, and more or less sound like their previous voice actors. They all did fine! Thornton gets some bonus points for not slurring Shadow's lines so much this time around.

Now one thing that bothers me is that despite Tails and Blaze's new VA's being superb, they both must have received some poor direction or something because they do not sound nearly as great as they did in their previous two games. A fair share of Higgins' lines lack any emphasis on anything and she ends up speeding through them too quickly. Bailey, instead of sounding like Hudson with a regal accent like she did beforehand, sounds like another character entirely with her voice as deep as it is. Overly serious, even when the lines don't call for it. Must have been a directional thing, because she did the role just fine beforehand.

Omega's voice is a tad too deep now to comprehend what he's saying in some instances. I'm assuming that's the filterer's fault, and not Mignogna's.

Yurchak's take on Jet is a bit too nasaly for me, but that's entirely based upon personal preference. I liked Griffith's take on him better, in which he sounded more like a jerkass parrot thief instead of a whiny little child. (Oddly enough, his dialogue in this game reflects that of the latter... give or take some ADHD.)

Metal Sonic and Egg Pawn's voice actors are pretty hard to judge seeing as they're non-existent, but they're still not as bad as Amy's.

Surprise surprise, Robinson is a terrible Amy and should have never received that role in the first place. She still sounds like Minnie Mouse on speed, much to everybody's chagrin.

Edited by HunterTSF

Personally, I like Roger as Sonic because he sounds... normal? And like a teen. Griffith isn't a bad actor, but I always felt he sounded too old for the role, if that makes sense. :|a