Awoo.

Who is your least favorite character and why?

agoodusername

I'm genuinely amazed nobodies said Marine yet, she's normally the first character people jump on in hate threads despite being THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE WHOLE SERIES.

I'm genuinely amazed nobodies said Marine yet, she's normally the first character people jump on in hate threads despite being THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE WHOLE SERIES.

Believe it or not... Marine is actually one of my top 5 favorite characters... I really thought she was a unique addition to the Sonic cast, I mean, come on! Aside from having a similar personality to Charmy, she's one of the most original characters we've seen in a while!

• Thumbs Up 1

Has a confusing personality (one minute he is naive, then he's an asshole).

That's because of his immaturity and strong sense of justice. He wants to save the world and stuff, but often gets ahead of himself and feels self obligated to complete his mission.

It's actually one of the few parts of his character that actually add depth to it.

As for my least favorite character, I'd have to say Storm, simply because he's the blandest of the Rogues and blandest character out there. While Jet was more of a culmination of Sonic's "asshole" qualities cranked up to 11 (rude, arrogant, overly ambitious, and generally a large ham), and Wave was pretty much her own character, Storm was pretty much just Knuckles minus any of the qualities that made him good. While the dumb brawn is an overused cliche' in itself, it's only made worse by the fact that he has literally nothing else going for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol Marine Fever.

Actually, I love Marine. Sure, I can understand how some complain about her being weak/useless and just there to butcher the austrailian language, but in all honesty, I'd rather take that than the usual DBZ overpowered dudes like Shadow or Silver. After all the NEW POWERFUL ULTIMATE SUPER GUYS and SONIC'S LATEST AND GREATEST RIVAL, it's nice to see a random girl minding her own business.

Besides, if she showed up again, they could easily fix her - expand on her "water" powers (seems to be the logical conclusion to what thing she fired at the Egg Wizard, and it would contrast with Blaze's pyrokinesis, just like how Sonic runs but Tails flies) so that she can defend herself, make her Blaze's Tails (the good kind, not the Post-Heroes type), contrast her ship building with Tails' plane building, make her austrailian vocals less out-of-control, and make her more relaxed. If she ever gets a voice, I'd imagine it would be rather deep for a girl her age. But that's just me.

As well as Marine, Rush Adventure gave us Captain Whisker and Johnny, two awesome machines if only for being loyal (and for being robot pirates). The Coconut Crew were also not bad IMO. Rush Adventure had good new guys and gals overall - here's hoping Sonic Rush 3 shows Whisker's ninja twin brother, Black-Belt Moustache.

The things that annoy me are very strange - I can stand Marine's antics and can listen to Cream's high pitches and Black Doom's generic rants all day, but I swear I can not stand Amy's stupidity. Sonic X started the downfall of many characters, but especially Amy. The whole "oh snap everyone's scared of angering her even the bad guy fears her!!!111" doesn't interest me at all. I tend to hate characters that fume at the slightest thing.

Eggman Nega.

This is kinda ironic as I actually think eh's a pretty cool guy, eh turns you into a card and doesn't afraid of anything. My problem with him is the baggage he carries around with him; both the horrible continuity snarl and the implication that my beloved Robotnik has become so much of a joke that he needs his own Evil Twin.

I always hate parallel universe journeys with parallel universe characters. It's about as cliche as you can get, AND they take what could be cool characterisation for an existing character (exploring a different side of their personality brought to the fore by a new environment, say?) and crudely slap it onto a recoloured travesty of them. I hold similar hatred for Percival, Gawain, Lancelot, Nimue, Blacksmith, Galahad, Lamorak, Sinbad, Ali Baba, King Shahryār, blahblahblahblah, as they're all cursed with the same problem.

I would have VASTLY preferred 10 ENTIRELY NEW characters, rather than that hackneyedsmorgsbord of dimensional confusion. Above that I would have preferred that say Knuckles got warped into the Arabian Nights WITH Sonic, but while wandering around in the swarming word-magic of the Lost Prologue he got his personality imprinted with the character of Sinbad for the duration of his stay in the book realm. THAT would have made sense. "O hai; Sinbad lookz liek Knuckles for no raeson" does NOT.

FFFFFFF PARALLEL UNIVERSE CLONES ARGLEBARGLE :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Thumbs Up 1

Silver.

*shudder*

Pot head. Whiny voice. Has a confusing personality (one minute he is naive, then he's an asshole). Oh, and he's WAY over powered.

Silver’s overpowered?

From a combat standpoint, he gets absolutely thrashed by both alpha-male Hedgehogs of the series in his debut game. From an intellectual standpoint, he gets manipulated over the course of 80% of the game.

In a weird twist of both, he gets somewhat emasculated by Blaze at the end.

I don’t see how being able to siphon some super powers from Sonic (which everyone these days can do anyway) makes him overpowered. Maybe if he snapped somebodys neck or something.

Parallel clone rant

I hope your applying that logic to the end results of the concept and not the concept itself. While many of the endeavors in the field lead to things like Nega, it also can lead to some pretty positive characters that can add a lot to the series, such as Blaze.

Edited by Gallia
  • Thumbs Up 1

Silver’s overpowered?

From a combat standpoint, he gets absolutely thrashed by both alpha-male Hedgehogs of the series in his debut game. From an intellectual standpoint, he gets manipulated over the course of 80% of the game.

In a weird twist of both, he gets somewhat emasculated by Blaze at the end.

I don’t see how being able to siphon some super powers from Sonic (which everyone these days can do anyway) makes him overpowered. Maybe if he snapped somebodys neck or something.

I hope your applying that logic to the end results of the concept and not the concept itself. While many of the endeavors in the field lead to things like Nega, it also can lead to some pretty positive characters that can add a lot to the series, such as Blaze.

I felt that blaze was a little too much like a girl shadow who isn't an emo dick, and she had the backstory of knuckles (I have to protect the MASTER EMERALD! vs. I have to protect the SOL EMERALDS!) ironically Blaze is one of my favorite characters, design, personality, and character development wise. Just goes to show you that a character can have extremely unoriginal elements to them and you can still love them

Well, you're crazy if you were honestly expecting the majority of 'typical' responses to be characters like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have a problem BOTH with "go to a parallel universe" and "find your thematic clone there", but yes, the second draws the bulk of my ire. For my complaint about the first, let me cut-paste something I wrote in some other thread:

My main argument is that I think one canon in one universe is more than big enough for Sonic to be all things to all people. Sure, in one game have him defending a single, animal-inhabited forest from Eggman's aggression; in the next have him and Tails biplaning off on a Sonic World Adventure; and in the next have a LOL DARK storyline with Shadow and Silver where Robotnik's threatening to slag Soleanna to blackened glass just because he's a horrible bastard. You don't need three DIFFERENT Sonic's for all that; he's the goddam Blue Blur, all-purpose hero and the one-stop-shop for all your villain-scrambling needs.

Take Sonic and the Black Knight. WHY did he need to get magical plane-shifted into Arthurland? Couldn't he just... y'know... run into the planet EarthMobius' version of Fantasy Scotland, given that he is explicitly stated to love travelling all over the globe exploring? The world is a big place, you don't need 3 seperate universes to fit normies, druids, and Arabians.

Yes, I accept, Blaze is one good thing (perhaps the one good thing) to come out of a Sonic parallel universe. But why do we need to travel to a different world to see 7 more magic mystic gems, or a tropical, island-strewn ocean? One of the things I loved about Ye Olde Sonic was that he lived in a surreal and magical world where you got weird, fantastic stuff like the Sonic CD opening scene rainbow plumes when he runs across streams, and a time-travelling planet that appears only one day in every 30 was the kinda thing you'd expect. And yet Modern Sonic has to travel to a Fantasy Parallel Dimension for this sort of thing to happen to him. WHY? What happened to the mystery and fantasy and enormity of the world he already lives in?

Sonic's world should always have mystery, adventure, and unexplored lands waiting just over the next horizon. What we seem to have ended up with is that mystery, adventure, and unexplored lands exist only via sub-quantum tunneling through the next horizon, straight into Fictional Stereotypistan.

EDIT: In conclusion, Eggman Nega is LAME.

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen
  • Thumbs Up 2

But why do we need to travel to a different world to see 7 more magic mystic gems, or a tropical, island-strewn ocean?
I do agree that it'd be nice to see more surreal/magical/fantastic/etc settings that are simply parts of Sonic's planet, but I don't believe they're using alternate worlds as an excuse to include these sorts of areas. Instead I think they're using alternate worlds to explore the structure of alternate worlds, and providing interesting settings alongside. It's not as if Sonic is jumping into other universes for a story that's entirely contained in those universes; the storybook games emphasize that Sonic is in the world of a storybook and the Rushes deal with the physical and conceptual connections between Sonic and Blaze's world.

They could've had Sonic just run off to his world's equivalent of the Middle East and make it like the Arabian Nights for Secret Rings, but it wouldn't have the whole inside-a-storybook aspect. No Lost Prologue in a swirling void of pages, no talk of the story itself literally being burned away by the Iblis golem or absorbed by Erazor, no tie-in to Aladdin's story in Erazor's backstory. Black Knight is a bit less focused on the storybook part, but there's still the issue of Merlina's motivation being based on the kingdom's end being inevitable, as it's a finished story. And honestly, the Rushes would be pretty bland if the parallels between Sonic and Blaze, the Eggmen, and Tails and Marine were just coincidental and not literal parallel-universe parallels, and it'd be pretty implausible to have a second set of gems react so violently with the Chaos Emeralds if they had been on Earth the whole time.

If they were just throwing Sonic into other universes because they felt the need to justify having fun locations, then yeah, but that's really not what they're doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Pretty much Dio's sentiment. It'd be hard to put Sonic in those legendary settings in a modern Sonic world. Despite the fantasy of Sonic's classic setting, you'd be asking your audience to believe that Medieval England and Arabia exist aside robot armies and space stations. Wouldn't want to see more time travel to fix that.

So I wouldn't exactly expect to see Omega act like the funny guy, because I mean, isn't that kind of what Sonic is for?

I don't mean exactly funny. Omega seems to want to just burn everything down, which is funny to me. The other characters could acknowledge how crazy he is.

Edited by Dabnikz

I don't mean exactly funny. Omega seems to want to just burn everything down, which is funny to me. The other characters could acknowledge how crazy he is.

Ah, but isn't that already done for Knuckles and Amy? I do think it would work better in Omega's favor though.

Edited by Edge
  • Thumbs Up 1

;; I kinda like lil' Labyrinth Zone....

Anyways, I used to have a fervent loathing of Cream, partly because I don't go for the "cute, innocent little girl" stereotype. Compounded with her lack of achievements and her weirdly skyrocketing popularity back then, I failed to be fond of her. But she's been so absent recently that it's really difficult to even care anymore. However, that same loathing is starting to shift over to those two. You know exactly who I'm talking about: Metal Sonic and Fang The Sniper. Why? For nearly the same reason as Cream-- The level of positive reception these two jokers have somehow managed to garner over the years is directly proportional with just how little they've actually accomplished in the games. Fang is more of a stereotype than an actual character, and somehow Metal Sonic has snagged the honor of being Sonic's greatest rival despite the fact that I don't think he's even canonically landed a hit on the guy. It's right aggravating to see these two paraded around as paragons of anything, especially that biologically-impossible, purple-y pointy thingie. Stay back in the mid-90s where you belong! xP

Hmm perhaps it's because those characters are AWESOME! I don't think anyone knew exactly who you were talking about, because honestly, hate for those two character isn't exactly widespread. Honestly, Metal and Nack?!?! At least my dislike of Cream has some merit; she's got an annoying voice, and is pretty redundant as we already have the cutesy girl character in Amy, and Cream being a rabbit (an non flying animal yet able to fly), makes Tails less unique.

Metal is awesome, he is classic, and he is basicaly the evil aligned Sonic, ie; Robotnik's love of metal and robots personified into his worst enemy. It also says alot about the big man himself; on one side he's not above acknowledging that to beat Sonic he may have to play like him, on the other side it might be a grim look into what he would do to Sonic if he were ever to beat him.

And Nack, Nack is THE coolest, and his fan love is due to his awesome unique design and personality, who else in the Sonic series is an awesome, selfish, weasely, manipulative mercenery - he needs to come back! Perhaps you should consider why they have such a large follwing. In the words of Yatzee: "Popular things are popular for a reason, because they're good....or because Will Smith is in it"

You call them jokers because of what they have failed to achieve in the games?? Well have you taken a look at Eggman lately? Because if anything HE is the biggest joker of all. But this view of having to achieve something to be liked is stupid.

Have we ever seen Rouge achieve her goals of stealing the worlds precious jewels? Have we seen Omega "destroy all Eggmans robots"? What has Big achieved? Yet they all still have their fans not because of what they have acheived in the games, but because of what good characters they are.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

^ Under no circimstances is Big a good character.

As for Nack, the way I see it is that there isnt enough to hate. On the flip side, characters like him and Mighty that are constantly flug in the "bring them back" wagon are hated just for their inclusion in the forray.

Edited by Gallia
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

My personal list:

Cream - She is mostly annoying and her char is flat and one-dimensional, not going beyond being just an obnoxious goody-two shoes. Also, it seems her sole purpose is give Tails a flying female companion, but it ends up making him seem less unique. Her voice is just ear torture in both the show and the games. Not to mention she is barely in the games to begin with so she is better off scrapped out of the franchise. I would rather have Hit Girl from Kick @$$ be in the games just to replace the rabbit.

Big - He is just dumb and fat, really nothing else. He is worst char to play as in SA1 b/c of his fishing gameplay. Who the hell thought FISHING would be a good thing in a SONIC game?! Also, like with Cream, he is barely in the games despite being in the recent ASR, and better off scrapped.

Chris form Sonic X - Do I really need to explain why when others already had? He is an annoying, whiny, and rich brat who takes most of the spotlight along with the other uninteresting human chars. He is just all around completely useless, really unnecessary, and does hardly any squat altogether. It would have made the show better without him, but not by much since IMO most of the eps succumb to robot/monster of the week and the plots were boring at best.

Edited by AdventChild

They're like my childrens! I loves them all!

No, really, I'm just not the sort of person who can build up a huge amount of bile over a character unless they're really stealing the spotlight, and that hasn't happened too much since the disastrous mid-noughties. Even if I don't particularly like a character, I can usually find something to like in the way a character interacts with the characters I do like. I'm not the biggest fan of Shadow, for instance, but I like Rouge and Omega, and he compliments them well.

...if I had to choose someone to list here, then, it'd probably have to be Silver. I don't really dislike him any more than I do Shadow, but his interactions with most other characters tend to amount to nothing more than ad nauseam repetition of GOTTA SAVE THE FUTURE, which is not particularly endearing. He worked pretty well with Blaze in '06, but that was a thousand kinds of impossible, which basically just leaves his time with Espio in Rivals 2... that wasn't bad by any means, but it was pretty short and still mostly consisted of Silver whining about Chao. <_<

There's also the matter of his having basically created the Rush/'06/Rivals pile-up, and as a continuity freak that's something I'm not too keen on. Oh, and if he had to be a Trunks knock-off, could he at least go all the way and have a sword? Even Hiro Nakamura managed to have a sword. Still, his biggest problem (and one of the bigger problems with the series' characterization as a whole, I think) is just that he doesn't get much time for casual, non-saving-the-world-related conversation. I'm sure I'd warm up to him if he could just take a break every once in a while.

Whithin the games, it's that girl in sonic 06. I have nothing else to say but humans (excluding the eggmen) shouldn't be in sonic games.

Out of the games, i think it's pretty obvious that i say that the little git Chris Thorndyke should take this spot.

I have nothing else to say but humans (excluding the eggmen) shouldn't be in sonic games.
This is still stupid. Humans exist in Sonic's world, Eggman is proof of that; so, why shouldn't they show up?

This is still stupid. Humans exist in Sonic's world, Eggman is proof of that; so, why shouldn't they show up?

Yeah... but I might actually agree if he was just saying humans shouldn't take super-prominent roles in Sonic games. It does feel kind of out of place, to me.

All the humans (Excluding the obivous crossovers and the eggmen.) are either tennage girls who iditoctily help the blue blur even though they don't realise Sonic is not like them of them or just ask sonic to do stupid silly errands.Oh and about Chris Thorndyke.

All the humans (Excluding the obivous crossovers and the eggmen.) are either tennage girls who iditoctily help the blue blur even though they don't realise Sonic is not like them of them or just ask sonic to do stupid silly errands.Oh and about Chris Thorndyke.

To count all canon humans besides Eggman playing prominent roles:

1. Gerald/Maria

2. Elise

And Elise didn't help Sonic at all really, HE helped HER.

just ask sonic to do stupid silly errands.

Blame the game, not the characters.

You call them jokers because of what they have failed to achieve in the games?? Well have you taken a look at Eggman lately? Because if anything HE is the biggest joker of all. But this view of having to achieve something to be liked is stupid.

More like what they've barely achieved, actually.

Eggman atleast comes somewhere in his goals, and if you add him defeating Super of all Sonics, then that is nothing to joke about.

Have we ever seen Rouge achieve her goals of stealing the worlds precious jewels? Have we seen Omega "destroy all Eggmans robots"? What has Big achieved? Yet they all still have their fans not because of what they have acheived in the games, but because of what good characters they are.

For Rouge: I could have sworn that was more like a hobby of hers where as working for the government has a much bigger priority over a lot of what she does. Kind of like Knuckles, treasure hunting is a hobby while guarding the M.E. is a goal/duty.

For Omega: PLENTY of times, starting with Heroes.

For Big: Well, what are his goals?

Really?

I count: Eggman, The President, The GUN Commander, Professor Gerald, Melina (does she count?), Elise, and Maria

That's SEVEN humans (like the number of Chaos Emeralds! *shot*)

Only one of them is a teenage girl that Sonic doesn't like.

All the other humans are in a different league compared to those two...well, not sure about the President (but I mean, he's a freaking President, so that's gotta be worth something). Maria atleast served as some form of drive for Shadow, Gerald, and the GUN Commander, and wanted more for the Earth, but I'm not sure how you would class her.

Either way, I suggest you do more research on the humans, because your description is completely off the mark.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

^You forgot the president's secretary...

She even had her own menu theme in SA2. :o

Edited by imarafan

There's nothing wrong with human characters. The issue I have with human characters is when the human characters are just bad characters in general. I don't dislike Chris because he was human, I'm not apathetic about Elise because she was human, I'm that way because I don't think they're as good of characters as others.

Chris could be a hedgehog, echidna, fox, wolf, porcupine, pink kitty cat (lol) or whatever else. Doesn't mean he'd be any less shitty unless they actually changed how he is as a character.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1