Awoo.

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New 2D Classic Sonic Platformer Sonic Superstars Announced at some point.

1 hour ago, DaBigJ said:

I think you're forgetting that automation has been in Sonic since literally the first game with those tunnel things

These things?

image.thumb.png.b48f1cdfca3775ecdb8260b07f9d66c3.png

Just now, Tornado said:

These things?

image.thumb.png.b48f1cdfca3775ecdb8260b07f9d66c3.png

Yeah those, but after thinking about it more those don't really count. Sorry about that. Sorry if I come off as a fanboy too by the way, I'm just kinda blinded by hype because I genuinely feel excited for once...probably since 2017?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm getting Mega Man 11 vibes.

---

Uh...not too big of a fan of the presentation so far. I don't remember if there was an actual release date in the trailer, but it needs a lot of polish in places that feel unfinished.

I noticed 2 points where Sonic kind of fell off a loop, Sonic 3 style, despite having the speed to clear it and it doesn't look to great that Sonic's skidding animation has a very obvious end point where Sonic remains completely static.

Some of the animation looks very good, but it's making the ones that don't really stick out as..."cheap".

This is mighty frustrating. The physics seem to work, but when it comes to rolling they just -- don't even give it the chance. So much of it is automated when it doesn't have to be.

Watching that direct gameplay right now....maybe it's because I'm not familiar with DIMPS or whatever, but I actually get more of a Sonic CD vibe from the gameplay. Act 1 really reminds me of Stardust Speedway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just couldn't help but notice, but if we are to complain, I had this thought about something to complain about: Where are the bottomless pits?

I mean, we have not seen many, or even any of those yet, but bottomless pits were a thing to complain about back in Sonic 4's episodes, maybe the classic stages in Forces, too. I know there aren't any to complain about yet, but yeah, that was a big thing before I thought I'd bring up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't hate the level design in any of those acts, the automation and gimmicks are about the same ammount we have in a zone like Stardust Speedway, and I would argue there's more platforming than it here. 

But the lights out gimmick can get the fuck out of here, my brother in Christ I was ready to sign the fuck out if it were the WHOLE level like that.

Also, man, FUCK this Sonic 4 music, I actually had to mute my phone to watch it, it was driving me crazy.

Yeah all this gameplay footage and Arzest being the developers have killed what little excitement and interest I had at the beginning. Kind of like Sonic Advance 1 where it has good physics but the level design doesn't allow the player to take advantage of it anyway, except the level design still looks as bad as it did in Sonic 4. Sega still doesn't get it.

The elephant in the room is that Stardust Speedway was a particularly gameplay-free act in a game that already had frequently shaky level design alongside its own physics engine of questionable quality.

He can do some characters and artwork but Ohshiima shouldn't have that much influence on this game.

That was the same trap Eggman used on Sonic in Mania Adventures.

Cute little homage there.

I thought we weren't reusing content

• Thumbs Up 2

I must be easy to make happy...I liked what I saw, ear bleeding aside. It looks fun...

• Thumbs Up 3

I can't really say much more other than that I disagree with the level design looking awful. Nothing's outright amazed me yet, but Sonic games don't make me feel that way till I play them for myself. Otherwise, it looks good. Nice mix of gimmicks and conventional platforming.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Tornado said:

The elephant in the room is that Stardust Speedway was a particularly gameplay-free act in a game that already had frequently shaky level design alongside its own physics engine of questionable quality.

He can do some characters and artwork but Ohshiima shouldn't have that much influence on this game.

To be honest, I was wondering if his involvement was the reason for this random Sonic CD inspired level design...

1 minute ago, ZinogreVolt said:

I can't really say much more other than that I disagree with the level design looking awful. Nothing's outright amazed me yet, but Sonic games don't make me feel that way till I play them for myself. Otherwise, it looks good. Nice mix of gimmicks and conventional platforming.

Yeah, it seems they have learned some things from Christian, or the makers of Sonic Origins, or...well, whoever it was they may have learned from, if they learned from anyone at all.

I do have doubts that Sonic Team would not have learned to make something good like this on their own, as far as classic Sonic-like games go. That's just my thoughts, though.

Yea i liked what i saw too. To each their own tho.

Considering this is called Speed Jungle Zone, I’m assuming they’re aiming this to be the game’s Chemical plant equivalent where just moving while being on your toes is the gimmick. The Bridge zone doesn’t look much like that as far as i can tell.

Act 2 reminded me of crash 2 so i thought that was a lil funny. Sonic swinging off the branches looked fun too. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Should've used green forest as the placeholder music. That would've been funny.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

I must be easy to make happy...I liked what I saw, ear bleeding aside. It looks fun...

You really have no reason to feel ashamed if you like what you see. 

Just now, Graystripe2000 said:

Impressions from Fadel. 

Now, all I'm left wondering is if there's a character following/swap mechanic.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Sean said:

except the level design still looks as bad as it did in Sonic 4. Sega still doesn't get it.

Naw
hell naw this ain't it

I'm pretty pessimistic about this series nowadays and I don't really care about it as much anymore because the quality isn't what I want, but I won't even compare it to that. I might be taking stances like this a little heavier than other people tho since I genuinely think Sonic 4 is the shittiest thing Sega ever made and I hold it lower than 06 or Boom for many reasons, even if it's more cohesive of a game on a technical level. Regardless, this game looks much better than Sonic 4. That game's level design was complete ass and I can tell this game's levels look more fun.

... However, I have to admit that is really setting the bar for comparison pretty low. After seeing the trailer and all the new gameplay I'm not too interested in this game overall beyond the local co-op. This doesn't really seem to hold a candle to Mania. The level design isn't bad, but Mania's levels look much better.

The presentation of this game actually threw me off at first, I seriously thought I was looking at footage for a new mobile game, only to find out it's for consoles. Something about the presentation feels outdated to me and I'm not a big fan of it.

I think this game is going to be pretty decent, but I don't think it'll be anything spectacular outside of the fun calamity I'll have with the co-op. THAT is the one thing that's making me really look forward to this. Otherwise it its not too great, but damn brah don't do it dirty by comparing it to that fever dream called Sonic 4 

• Thumbs Up 5