Awoo.

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New 2D Classic Sonic Platformer Sonic Superstars Announced at some point.

I've seen enough of the game to say that I think it'll be at least halfway decent. There are some red flags regarding some of the level design and obviously we've not seen anything in great detail. But it would have to fuck up pretty remarkably for it to end up being a poor game. I'm pretty confident that Superstars will be a welcome addition to my Sonic collection, which is honestly a lot more than I can say for most new Sonic games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing I saw in the trailer made me want to run out and grab this. Christian Whitehead's seal of approval is more convincing than anything they've actually shown, but there will definitely be a live demonstration before the game comes out and I'll be able to tell what's off or not then.

I also wish rolling was in the first trailer but my first thought wasn't that it was broken. There were just a lot of new things the trailer had to prioritize.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Nothing I saw in the trailer made me want to run out and grab this. Christian Whitehead's seal of approval is more convincing than anything they've actually shown, but there will definitely be a live demonstration before the game comes out and I'll be able to tell what's off or not then.

I also wish rolling was in the first trailer but my first thought wasn't that it was broken. There were just a lot of new things the trailer had to prioritize.

The game looked fun to me. Fun enough to make me want play it, and intriguing enough in its premise as a new Classic Sonic game, being multiplayer focused and (seemingly) being created by Sonic Team that I'm my curious to learn more. It just looks like a good time. I'm not clamouring to play it like Mania, I'm happy enough to say that I'm excited. It was a good introduction to the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The tagline of the game is "new thrills, classic feels". 

Even if the game is aiming for a more inclusive market, the quality and historically fondly remembered gameplay of the classics is an obvious selling point here. 

If your going to evoke the classics in the main tagline to the game, then I personally find it more than a little bit curious that no rolling would be featured in the trailer when everyone on the face of the earth knows that the first question lobbed at this game during QandA is going to start with pinball and end with physics. 

That's all I'm saying. It's not a secret. 

For most people, they don't just associate Sonic rolling down a hill as the big tipping point of 2D Sonic gameplay. 

For showing off traditional 2D gameplay updated for a new era, they did just that, showing classic gameplay with new mechanics, characters and features. Like, I know Classic physics is a hot topic among hardcore Sonic fans but its certainly not what the casual fans or the general public scrutinise to recognise a game as 'Classic inspired'. As long as its not blatantly broken like Sonic 4, it slips under the radar for most.

Again, not that I think it really matters when someone who literally knows more about all of this in depth than most if not all of us here gave his own approval on it. Given Whitehead's own experience, I trust his word that the physics are up to snuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

I've seen enough of the game to say that I think it'll be at least halfway decent. There are some red flags regarding some of the level design and obviously we've not seen anything in great detail. But it would have to fuck up pretty remarkably for it to end up being a poor game. I'm pretty confident that Superstars will be a welcome addition to my Sonic collection, which is honestly a lot more than I can say for most new Sonic games. 

If the game feel is as promising as it seems then it'll put it above the likes of Colors and Frontiers, but level design is the other piece of what made the originals great and I'm waiting to see if they get that part right. Accomodating for four players and gimmicky power ups isn't gonna mesh well with traditional Sonic design but maybe it'll be fine in it's own way.

The last thing that's bugging me is something I can't really expect them to fix, but the game feels a bit...cheap? After Frontiers it's kind of nice to see a Sonic game with an art direction again but they're not all that impressive outside that context. A bit of a bummer compared to how the old games pushed the boundaries of the hardware.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is Summer Game Fest the sort of event where these games will be on display for people to try out? We may not have to wait too long for some footage. We're pretty good at picking that stuff apart 

12 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The last thing that's bugging me is something I can't really expect them to fix, but the game feels a bit...cheap? After Frontiers it's kind of nice to see a Sonic game with an art direction again but they're not all that impressive outside that context. A bit of a bummer compared to how the old games pushed the boundaries of the hardware.

It definitely feels like it's playing it safe in that regard, yes. Not with poly count obviously, but like, the art direction is a little flat? I'd say a notch above something like Lost World, but just a little more than a smidge under Generations regarding visual detail. 

I wouldn't liken it to a cheap mobile game like I've seen others claim, though. The game definitely looks good. Maybe if this sells well, we'll get a Superstars 2 that goes a step further.

9 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Is Summer Game Fest the sort of event where these games will be on display for people to try out? We may not have to wait too long for some footage. We're pretty good at picking that stuff apart 

Not that I'm aware of, there's usually a collab with Steam that puts a few demos for everyone to play, but I would doubt seeing Superstars added to it. Press might get some previews, maybe.

I have my doubts that the 4-player stuff will negatively affect the level design all that much. That's always more of an issue with 3D multiplayer games than 2D ones. From what we've seen, it actually seems like the levels won't be spacious enough to accommodate for four people with different skill levels.

Got more of a look at the game.

Specifically the intro. Animation looks nice.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Looks like the Sonic shadow clones will be a significant gimmick, praying it’s not simply a screen wipe 

10 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I hope this means we get the first gameplay impressions soon!

10 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Well there we are!

Im loving this new sonic animated renaissance we got going on. Always have been super clean.

• Thumbs Up 2

The top left portion of the ensemble picture looks conspicuous. It's more than likely nothing, but maybe that hints at a 5th character (probably Fang) becoming playable later? A guy can dream.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

The top left portion of the ensemble picture looks conspicuous. It's more than likely nothing, but maybe that hints at a 5th character (probably Fang) becoming playable later? A guy can dream.

I could potentially see the new Oshima character being playable as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just had a wild ass thought.

If the Chaos Emeralds each have their own power the characters can use, wouldn't that make them more like the four Chaos Emeralds from The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, even though the Emeralds in this game are the same shape instead of different ones? For reference, the Chaos Emeralds in that show each had their own power, like immortality for one of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I could potentially see the new Oshima character being playable as well.

Actually, this is probably the correct guess. Either way I'm definitely onboard with the idea that they're hiding something or someone.

• Thumbs Up 1

First gameplay, showcases physics (which seem right), Amy's gameplay, she has hammer spin in the first seconds of the jump (?), and special stages in which the player absolutely had no idea what to do.

I'd say we got a few interesting things already checked out.

• Thumbs Up 4

Do not like the models in the start screen, but the opening is really charming. Same studio that did Origins for sure. Also, Sonic doing the kage bunshin no jutsu killed me. I guess the Emeralds will work like a weapon wheel of sorts! That's really cool and innovative!

Hey, that Amy gameplay looks great! There's your rolling, man! 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Whitehead approves of the physics.

That is a GREAT sign imo

I wish we got some rolling footage but I can at least appreciate Sonic Team for trying. After how utterly abysmal Classic Sonic was in Forces, them at the very least trying to rectify that and listen to feedback is really nice. Even with Frontiers, despite differing opinions with the game they have shown they are at least willing to take negative criticism into consideration for updates and future titles.

It's such a low bar for a developer yeah I know, but for ST that's a good step forward. Doesn't give em a pass but it's nice.

That Amy footage. I feel like I'm being gaslit, legit rolling physics in a modern age Sonic Team game

• Thumbs Up 6