Awoo.

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New 2D Classic Sonic Platformer Sonic Superstars Announced at some point.

33 minutes ago, Jango said:

This game's existence really feels like an alternate reality where this is in fact the Sonic 4 that we never got. New island with brand new zones; 4 playable characters from the go (one more than 3&K); a graphical leap (remember that Sonic 3 was meant to be called Sonic 3D and take full advantage of the technology of the time); new powers (3&K had the elemental shields, while Superstars has the Emerald powers and probably the elemental shields aswell); returning rival (Fang) and a new one (Trip); minibosses; level transitions... All things that even with both episodes Sonic 4 wasn't able to achieve.

yep, I feel the same. I still can't believe this is real, even oshima coming back and sonic team finally nailing the freaking classic physics again, something I never believed would happen. To good to be true, but here we are.

It kills me how in the middle of a run where the dude is getting reamed by every basic banik and obstacle - he had to fit in a comment about the level playing itself. There is an obvious skill floor needed to makes things run smoothly. Bad timing.

The levels seem nice and meaty too. There was a lot there, particularly for a level 1.

The fact that this game came out of nowhere, looks as good as it does, is doing a lot of things that fans have been asking for for a while - and is out in just a few months makes me wholly bewildered by it. It's like, damn, what's the catch here?

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

The fact that this game came out of nowhere, looks as good as it does, is doing a lot of things that fans have been asking for for a while - and is out in just a few months makes me wholly bewildered by it. It's like, damn, what's the catch here?

You have to pay 50 extra bucks for the battle mode.

...What? You asked what the catch was!

Seriously, with this game looking so good, it makes sense why people would think there is a catch. Me? I don't think there is one.

4 hours ago, Tenko said:

It's a real shame the industry, and (I'm taking a wild guess here) newer gamers see 2D and sprite based games as old or not worth it. There's been some fantastic and amazing looking 2D sprite based games in recent years. Besides the ones you mentioned, a lot seem to come from Dotemu/Lizardcube like Wonder Boy : The Dragon's Trap, Streets of Rage 4, and TMNT : Shredder's Revenge, or by Wayforward like the Shantae series, Ducktales and River City Girls.

The catch with these is that with all of them, even Shantae which has enough of a rabid fanbase to maybe support it, don't cost $60. Most of them didn't even get physical releases; and Wayforward primarily seems to keep the lights on through other stuff instead.

59 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Jun is the catch.

I'm confident Jun had enough time to take the complaints about his... exquisite choice of synths. Also, with Tee involved, aswell as other SEGA Sound Team members, you know, Naofumi Hataya, our good friend Ohtani, maybe KENICHI TOKOI, ANYONE???? I. Want. To. Believe. The issue with Jun was tasking him to do everything on his own, but when these guys work as a team? Well, I'm sure you heard of TSR, the album.. that also has a game with the same name, funny huh?!

Let's not shit on Senoue here, because I'm sure you bastards like Live and Learn, don't lie to me!

Speaking of Jun, since this miniboss theme isnt traced back to any sonic 4 song and is being actively updated between builds, it's best to assume this is a real track:

Well, it's not Sonic 4-bad, but not all that great either.

Can I just come in and say that I love that the Badniks look robotic?

I’m not a big fan of their cartoony eyed versions when it came to their 3D models like they were in Lost Worlds. Made them look too much like toys than machines.

• Thumbs Up 3

Choosing Knuckles in both Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Mania led to Knuckles-exlcusive experiences and endings, so maybe they've just expanded that to include all four characters? It would be cool to see Tails at the very least get a slightly different campaign and ending from Sonic in a classic game for once.

• Thumbs Up 2

Any chance Amy has her running hammer jump? Always loved doing that. 

Anyway, I just gotta say, it feels really good to be genuinely excited about Sonic games again. After Frontiers and now this, Prime being good, and the comics being solid as ever, it just feels nice to be a Sonic fan again for me, like it hasn't in so long. Basically every game since Colors had been a disappointing announcement to me lol But now I'm feeling optimistic again. 

Now, if could just get Sony Animation to make a Sonic movie... 👀

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Anyway, I just gotta say, it feels really good to be genuinely excited about Sonic games again. After Frontiers and now this, Prime being good, and the comics being solid as ever, it just feels nice to be a Sonic fan again for me, like it hasn't in so long.

They've definitely had good momentum of quality products starting with the first movie. Things really kicked into gear with 2022, and between this and Frontiers, they're keeping it going even into 2023.

So long as this game is great, it looks like they might finally have a potential solid pattern to maintain things good. 

And we've already got a cover, boys. This takes me back to when Lil Boulder covered some of the Classic tracks in Forces and made them sound significantly better. (And also Network Terminal -Interior-. Love that song. Original and Boulder's remix.)

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

And we've already got a cover, boys. This takes me back to when Lil Boulder covered some of the Classic tracks in Forces and made them sound significantly better. (And also Network Terminal -Interior-. Love that song. Original and Boulder's remix.)

Sounds very great! I do love this!

This is hilarious. Everyone is being gaslit and misled about the music with all of these different answers.

Guess it really is better to just wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 3

The weirdest thing of all is that someone pointed out that the song sounded slightly different from the IGN's footage to the GameSpot's one, as if they were different builds...

But why would they have different builds of a song it's not even in the game? 

Look, as much as I think this Hype Guy needs to take a chill pill ASAP, let's say he's telling the truth and the music he heard is indeed completely different... Could it be that at one point the soundtrack was indeed going that way (Sonic 4 faux Genesis synths), but then it shifted direction to be something more like Mania, since again, people complained a lot about Jun's songs in Sonic Origins' Sonic 3&K, and that was fairly recent. 

Who knows.

I guess it will maybe forever be that mysterious song that will get lost to history like the beta carnival night zones almost did.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Look, as much as I think this Hype Guy needs to take a chill pill ASAP, let's say he's telling the truth and the music he heard is indeed completely different... Could it be that at one point the soundtrack was indeed going that way (Sonic 4 faux Genesis synths), but then it shifted direction to be something more like Mania, since again, people complained a lot about Jun's songs in Sonic Origins' Sonic 3&K, and that was fairly recent.

As it is, he doesn't even really have a reason to lie. And he certainly hasn't been one to either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fadel being a hype guy aside, he's the only guy who's played it that's actually taken the time to comment on the music. That's an immediately more trustworthy source than posturing about what it could be based on vague points given.

• Thumbs Up 5