Awoo.

The OLD pilot of Sonic X

vgmaster

I'll be honest with you, this doesn't look that different from the normal Sonic X. Aside from Chris not showing up (Although if they had stayed on this path, a variant of Chris could've possibly shown up.)

The only thing that really looks interesting is that it didn't look like it was set on Earth. And it seemed to have more of a "Gotta catch 'em all" vibe when they mentioned the Emeralds at the end.

Also, rainbow stone? Really?

I've never seen this clip in anything higher quality than a piddling <5MB video file. Does anybody know if this was released on DVD?

...Not that I particularly care about it anymore, but I remember looking all over for it back when I actually gave a shit about Sonic X.

Yeah, it was a DVD extra on one of the Japanese Sonic X DVDs, I've got it. :)

Edited by -Mark-

I love the guy talking about how fast Sonic is, in the slowest possible and most monotone voice he can manage.

Other than that this looks pretty much Sonic X without Chris but that's like a shit sandwich without rotten onions.

I love the guy talking about how fast Sonic is, in the slowest possible and most monotone voice he can manage.

I'm actually willing to bet that english wasn't the narrator's first language.

Just so we're clear, Chris wasn't the only problem regarding Sonic X, even if he was certainly the biggest one.

Even without Mr. Thorndyke getting in the way, we'd probably still have other crap like the Metarex and Dark Super Sonic and the half-assed adaptations and the Flanderizing of almost everyone and Robotnik making the infamous Going Too Far speech and Knuckles constantly being made fun of when the other characters aren't much better.

Amongst a few other things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uninspired the furry characters in this pilot were but I think that they're more intriguing than the bland humans that were in the final product. That (Fox? Didn't see a tail...) bloke and (Hedgehog?) girl in the cafe actually looked interesting, at least to me.

Also intriguing is the 'Crystal Rainbow Stone' and Chaos Emeralds being mentioned in the same video. Mix up? Those shard things look like Master Emerald shards.

Also, Cream and Knux have a car lol. And looking at that city, I'd say it has a pretty good resemblance to the city featured in the beginning of episode 52 in the final series.

Interesting as I missed it first time around, but it's basically the opening extended right? The only difference being that Tails throws Sonic some emerald shards instead of a ring (they broke down a chaos emerald?!) and furry antros suggesting a homeworld setting

Regardless no matter how they set out Sonic X, it still would of been dreadfully flawed. There just wasn't the writers and SEGA went with some of the cheapest animation studios in Japan. I mean Sonic X manages to spend almost WHOLE EPISODES with characters awkwardly off model and some really cheap animation tricks to try and deliver on the action.

It got better once the series got into the game adaption's but still seemed a bit off at times. It's not that Sonic X is outright terrible, it just needed to be thought out a lot better and given more of a budget (same goes for Sonic Underground which tries SO HARD at a decent long-running story but falls flat on its face)

Yeah, like mentioned above, it might have been better if the story didn't take place on a "human setting" of sorts, but like jenny above me mentions the show still would have been as flawed as the eggs my sister cooks. The whole furry anthro setting/whatever could have provided a better background, since everyone would already know Sonic right. And I feel like more could have been done if a character like chris was introduced as some animal (in the same sorts as Sonic and company). Not only that, they could have other characters like the ones from the comics jump in from time to time like Julie-Su or Sally + others. I feel like they could taken it further than using regular humans ya'know (we're still great by the way).

Also, that pilot gives me the impression that Sonic is a dick. I mean, look at all that collateral damage hes causing, smashing up buildings, causing cars to crash and such. I mean Eggman is just as bad, but Mr. Sonic is the protagonist here right?

Also, that pilot gives me the impression that Sonic is a dick. I mean, look at all that collateral damage hes causing, smashing up buildings, causing cars to crash and such. I mean Eggman is just as bad, but Mr. Sonic is the protagonist here right?

You don't have to be a villain to cause collateral damage.

You don't have to be a villain to cause collateral damage.

Heroes freely causing damage is always a What The Hell Hero deal regardless.

Frankly, the only time I'm fine with this is when a villain later uses this to his/her advantage and gives the hero bad publicity while said villain gets good publicity.

• Thumbs Up 2

So wait... did Dr. Eggmun get the rainbow crystal stone or not?

I far prefer the story they went with. Fortunately I don't hate the human characters, and stuck-in-another-world stuff, so I enjoyed the different flavour they gave the show from the game's storylines, which is ironic because Sonic X was also the most accurate show to the game's canon of all the Sonic animations.

City Escape? Any human-occupied stage in Unleashed? Lol.

Edited by JezMM

How many buildings had the Power Rangers destroyed while fighting with their Zords (There were many fights in cities)?

That pilot looks quite better than what we had later

I would have finished watching this series if it wasn't for humans. And I would have loved it if They gave us some new characters that fall back in to obscurity after one episode like they did in SatAM. So... yeah, I'm all for it.

Heroes freely causing damage is always a What The Hell Hero deal regardless.

Frankly, the only time I'm fine with this is when a villain later uses this to his/her advantage and gives the hero bad publicity while said villain gets good publicity.

Didn't Eggman do that in one episode too?

I kinda like that about Sonic, it shows he doesn't give a damn when stopping eggman.

The reason I like this pilot is it seems to place Sonic in his own world. Mobius, hell yeah. Planet Freedom, hell yeah. The game-verse location isn't great to me because it's just an alternate Earth. This had potential to bring interesting new places into Sonic history. Instead he lived in a mansion with some kid. Explicitly because he wasn't at home too. Chris is a consequence of being stuck on Earth. Sonic would actually have a residence of his own in this anime. The likes of which have not happened since Knothole and the OVA airliner.

Edited by Dabnikz

Yeah, it was a DVD extra on one of the Japanese Sonic X DVDs, I've got it. :)

Ignoring the overdone human arguments, I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't release this pilot on DVD, instead opting for the World Hobby Fair version, which isn't really as exciting or nice-looking at this one. The main problem I have with the pilots, though, is how slow-paced the animation is, but at least it's still better than the shit we ended up with.

They did release it on DVD, I have it. D=

Got both pilots on DVDs as extras on the Hi-Spec Japanese Sonic X DVDs.

Ahahahaha, d'oh.

Merging the topics.

I wished that Sonic X was like the pilot, the pilot looked a lot more exciting and had a different story going on. The Adventure series if they made the episodes for them in the pilot's storyline probably would've been better. No Chris means he won't steal Tails and Amy's spotlight in the Adventure 2 scenes. I don't mind humans if they are done right, in Sonic X they are extremely retarded especially in the episode where Eggman tries to repair the moon after destroying it and everyone is buying his products and thinking Sonic is the enemy for destroying his stuff. The only thing that made the humans worth it was the elderly raping Sonic in the boat episode. Chris was more tolerable in the Japanese version, but he still at times was very whiny and madly in love with Sonic and over bearing. He was very selfish and the episode where he forced Sonic to stay in his world with him, the first time I saw it I was so mad, I wanted to smack the kid lol.

I didn't like all the hand holding and somewhat gay seeming relationship between the two of them, maybe if they made Chris a girl character instead it wouldn't seem as....gay. The humans in Sonic OVA I actually liked and made more sense to me, they weren't ass retarded and were tolerable, when you saw Mr President and this other guy talking to him later on in the movie it gives you a general idea on how laws and politics in Sonic's world might have worked. They also had animal features and some appeared human but with pointed ears, so they were more human like but also had qualities to make them closer to animals or humans from a different world completely from Earth or a distant future version of Earth. I personally liked that and thought it fit way better with Sonic and company than the humans set up in Sonic X.

I think Sega always wanted humans to be around with Sonic, in Sonic 1 conceptual artwork there was going to be a woman named Madonna and also if you've had the pleasure of reading the Sonic 1 Japanese manga, Sonic's playing in his band from the conceptual artwork at a concert and a bunch of human girls with animal features like bunny and cat ears are cheering and listening. That also makes the appearance of Sarah later on in the OVA make much more sense as well. The humans in the Adventure games specially Adventure 1 were tolerable, they were just there and you didn't have to talk to them unless you wanted to. The humans in that game were done okay, the problem with Sonic X was they went about everything all wrong. They made the humans the primary focus instead of Sonic and company, and they made the humans act really retarded like they had no brain at all. The story wasn't put together right and everything fell apart, if everything was done right similar to the Sonic OVA it probably wouldn't of been that much of a big deal, or made the humans not a primary focus like in Adventure 1. Even Sonic Screen Saver had humans in the background of most of the artwork. :P

Edited by SonikkuGenesis89