Awoo.

The OLD pilot of Sonic X

vgmaster

Has anyone from the show ever confirmed it to be a seperate character and not some transformation of Sonic? Has it been confirmed that its name is Nazo or is it merely a fan label?

Has anyone from the show ever confirmed it to be a seperate character and not some transformation of Sonic? Has it been confirmed that its name is Nazo or is it merely a fan label?

Fan label.

The jpg on an old official site was named "nazo", but as "nazo" merely means "mystery" in Japanese, the intent of the image name was not to say "This character's name is Nazo" but rather "This character's name is a mystery."

Didn't stop the fanbase from calling him "Nazo" en masse for whatever reason, however.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of liked Sonic Battle, plus it had one of the greatest soundtracks of any GBA game.

As for the Sonic X pilot, I like this more than the show itself. I don't mind the Japanese version of the regular show (notice I said Japanese version because I hate the English version with a passion), but I hate Chris and all the other human characters on the show. I think it's better without them.

People don't listen to Wei anymore. DX I still think Sonic X would had been kind of boring without Chris to yell at. Because not only we would get Eggman constantly changing his mechs but also stuff we have pretty much seen before. Well execpt a less rubbish adaptation of Sonic Battle, which I would had loved to see. But other than that Sonic X would be pretty repetive with out Chris. So go yell at him more! lol

Oh and Nazo I thought was a negative Super Sonic. But I guess not. lol

Negative Super Sonic is:

a) The Werehog

b ) Super Scourge

c) Dark Sonic

Edited by Tailikku
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Nazo looks like a terrible fan creation, and he pretty much is a fan creation when people treat him like a new character. What are those wings on his back, and that tail? The eyeliner stuff makes him look a version of Shadow.

I've got three words for you:

Power of Nazo.

Nazo_x.jpg

I'm actually curious on how "Nazo" would have been as a character. IF he was a character at all, anyway, for all we know he could have been a transformation of sorts.

Judging from the way he looks, I'd think he would actually have been a Jerk Sue.

I'm actually curious on how "Nazo" would have been as a character. IF he was a character at all, anyway, for all we know he could have been a transformation of sorts.

Judging from the way he looks, I'd think he would actually have been a Jerk Sue.

I heard somewhere a while back that "Nazo" was supposed to be a modern Hyper Sonic that they eventually scrapped in order to fit in with the continuity on the games and not go off on their own. I'm not sure if that's true though, and I can't remember where I read it so no one should follow that unless they know the source.

@ U N Owen was Wei:

I actually agree with what you said about Chris. I hate him, but it would be boring without him.

Super :lol: Lombax

I heard somewhere a while back that "Nazo" was supposed to be a modern Hyper Sonic that they eventually scrapped in order to fit in with the continuity on the games and not go off on their own.

Huh? If that was true, then why did Chris take over Amy's role for converting Shadow? Why were humans even near Sonic, when in the games at the time, didn't even have a human friend?

It kind of looks like someone who didn't know what Silver looked like drew Silver.

Silver was made long after the Sonic X prototype.

Silver was made long after the Sonic X prototype.

I'm making an observation, not an explanation. I think I'll call him "Sivler", in the same vein as homsar is to Homestar Runner.

Edited by Phos

For all we know, "Nazo" could've been Sonic's 'Rainbow Crystal Forme' or something.

... acctually, that would've been interesting...

Why can't we see an equal mixture of animals AND humans? I just think a world with humans and anthropomorphic animals coexisting would not only create a good balance and variety, but it's an interesting concept in itself.

Why can't we see an equal mixture of animals AND humans? I just think a world with humans and anthropomorphic animals coexisting would not only create a good balance and variety, but it's an interesting concept in itself.

This.

I like the idea that there's no social difference between the animals and humans. If it walks and talks like a person, it's a person. Eggman isn't the antagonist because he's human, he's bad because he's trying to take over the world, which is bad news for humans and animals alike.

I dislike the connotations of some continuities that tried to set the conflict between Sonic and Eggman as some incredibly clumsy microcasm for a conflict between animals and humanity, which makes no sense because by their very sentience the animals are effectively "humans" on a social level. Therefore, to say that both animals and humans are neither inherently good nor bad, and to show them peacefully coexisting as such, is the best way I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed; the last thing the series needs is to become an allegory for racism. There's basically no evidence that animal-people* in the game continuity are treated any differently from humans, a couple of potentially racially-charged (ahem) comments on Dr. Eggman's part aside. From the introduction of human NPCs in Adventure to the present day, I can't think of a single example of an anthropomorphic animal character being treated as anything but totally normal. Sonic's basically a superhero, Tails has ties with the respected Professor Pickle, Rouge is a close associate of the president... it's kind of refreshing.

*Of all the things the comics have done, providing the term "Mobian" is by far my favourite. We really need something like that to be canon for the games already.

*Of all the things the comics have done, providing the term "Mobian" is by far my favourite. We really need something like that to be canon for the games already.

I dislike it though. What do you call humans who happen to live on Mobius (In canons with a Mobius, that is)? "Mobian" makes sense for them too, since by its very name it implies that it refers to "Someone who lives on the planet of Mobius" rather than "someone who is an anthropomorphic animal."

Edited by Dr. Mechano

I dislike it though. What do you call humans who happen to live on Mobius (In canons with a Mobius, that is)? "Mobian" makes sense for them too, since by its very name it implies that it refers to "Someone who lives on the planet of Mobius" rather than "someone who is an anthropomorphic animal."

It's not perfect, admittedly, but it sounds alright, it's easy to remember and it's much shorter than "anthropomorphic animal"; that's the main thing. These discussions would be a lot more streamlined if we could cut down a few syllables. :rolleyes:

It's not perfect, admittedly, but it sounds alright, it's easy to remember and it's much shorter than "anthropomorphic animal"; that's the main thing. These discussions would be a lot more streamlined if we could cut down a few syllables. :rolleyes:

I get that. I just wish they picked a word more specific to them, rather than the more general term that should simply denote what planet they're from.

If another sentient species was discovered on Earth, I'm sure they'd be lumped in with humans and considered "Earthlings" in the same sense. This is why "Mobians" referring only to animals bothers me so much, because it should be about the planet (And thusly include humans too). Some other term would lend itself better to the concept, I think.

Perhaps we can refer to them as...anthros! What a novel idea! XD

I'm going to agree with Mechano on this one. In the non-canonical alternate continuities, Mobius is the name of the planet on which Sonic, Eggman, and the rest of the bunch live on. The term "Mobian" simply refers to anybody who lives on that planet - whether it be anthro, human, a normal animal or whatever. It simply wouldn't be able to merge into the canon continuity as well seeing as Sonic's planet has been explicitly stated as being named "Earth" since Sonic Adventure 2:

Dr. Eggman: Citizens of Earth! Lend me your ears!

But then again, I don't find "anthro" or "Mobian" to be to my liking, either. "Anthropomorphic animal" just sounds so much more scientific. <3

I wasn't trying to express a particular love for the term 'Mobian' or an endorsement of its validity in the Archieverse so much as a desire for any kind of short, in-universe term to be used in the games. It wouldn't need to be that word in particular and frankly I'd be pretty surprised if it was (although given the recent resurgence of chili dogs, you never know). Just... anything, you know? If we had something proper to call them, they might be more likely to appear en masse as background characters and we wouldn't have stupidity like Black Doom's spouting on about "the humans" for an entire game.

'Anthro' works for this sort of discussion, though. I wish I'd thought to use it.

I wasn't trying to express a particular love for the term 'Mobian' or an endorsement of its validity in the Archieverse so much as a desire for any kind of short, in-universe term to be used in the games. It wouldn't need to be that word in particular and frankly I'd be pretty surprised if it was (although given the recent resurgence of chili dogs, you never know). Just... anything, you know? If we had something proper to call them, they might be more likely to appear en masse as background characters and we wouldn't have stupidity like Black Doom's spouting on about "the humans" for an entire game.

'Anthro' works for this sort of discussion, though. I wish I'd thought to use it.

It certainly would be nice to see a term that differentiated the anthros from the humans - it's quite evident that humans aren't the only sentiment beings on Earth, and it's quite annoying how the general term of "humans" is used for describing the general populace by most everybody. Why, most of the human inhabitants don't even seem acknowledge that they're... not human. (But then again, it would be a rude thing to state "ZOMG?! WTF R YOU? HEDGEHOGS DONT TALK. WAT?")

What's truly interesting is that not even the human children will make note of their inhumanity. Younger kiddies may be prone to make rather blunt statements that may be considered rude to others, but they'll converse with Sonic and the gang as if they were an average Joe. Erazor Djinn, Dr. Eggman, Eggman Nega, and the G.U.N. seem to be the only ones who even refer Sonic or his buddies as their respective species. Quite odd, seeing as anthropomorphic animals aren't even all too common in Sonic's world.

Perhaps it's considered to be impolite for humans treat them any differently than a "person". Why, excluding the aforementioned special cases, only anthros will refer to other anthros by their species. (EX: Knuckles calling Rouge "bat girl", Rouge calling Tails "fox boy", Silver first addressing Espio by shouting "Hey, chameleon!", etc.) I suppose it might be comparable to blacks being referred to by the N-word. If you're black yourself, you can say it without worry - if you're not, it's considered derogatory and rude.

...which means the majority of the antagonists in the series have been using very mean words to address Sonic and co. :C

Edited by HunterTSF

...which means the majority of the antagonists in the series have been using very mean words to address Sonic and co. :C

"You're pretty persistant for a hedgehog, aren't you?" ~ Eggman, referring to the all-too-common stereotype that hedgehogs are known for easily giving up, I guess?

"They STINK, like ECHIDNAS do!" ~ Rouge, offending all one of the worldwide echidna population.

The less we say about Shadow's comments about humans (Despite, y'know, being best friends with one) the better...

I mean, this kind of raises another question though- Tails and Amy are the only animal characters who seem to have normal surnames. The rest simply go by the format of "[First Name] the [species]", which in the context of the social structure of the series does strike me as a little odd.

Am I a bad enough dude to skip the entire thread and respond to the OP? Of Course!

Over the years, people have been complaining of why Sonic X had humans in it. Well I can see why they're complaining, cause this was what it was originally going to be like.

The issue with Sonic X was not that humans were in it. Quite frankly, regardless whatever the original games said, if people going into Sonic X hadn't gotten used to the idea that there are humans in Sonic games by 2004, than they really shouldn't have been paying attention to the series anymore anyways. And to an extent, it wasn't even that the humans had more screen time than the game characters (except the whole "Chris Show starring Chris" thing, but even that wouldn't be inherently problematic if handled well). It was that they were all one dimensional and boring (and in Chris' case, an unlikeable asshole), and they stayed that way throughout the course of the show.

That is a characterization problem and structural problem rather than a conceptual one. Because of that, there is very little evidence provided in this pilot to believe that the show's creators, failing to introduce generic human characters into the show, wouldn't have just introduced uninspired and generic animals instead. The only difference that lack of humans would have definitely caused would have been just that: lack of humans. But the problems with Sonic X ran far deeper than the type of characters the creators padded the show with, so it really wouldn't have made any difference to anyone but the most extreme of whiners.

Edited by Tornado