Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

3 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I'm going to be honest, I think this looks--and sounds--obnoxiously juvenile.  The model and texture-makers have obviously worked really hard, but the result feels like style over substance in the worst way.  I still don't like the fight animation, Sonic himself might be even more obnoxious than in Sonic Colors, and if these are the jokes they chose for their vertical slice, I'd sure hate to see the ones they're hiding.

Looks?

The aesthetics or the animation?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Poster

Meanwhile, on Melrose Ave. in Los Angeles...

\ace attorney lawyer GIF by Funimation

3 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I'm going to be honest, I think this looks--and sounds--obnoxiously juvenile.  The model and texture-makers have obviously worked really hard, but the result feels like style over substance in the worst way.  I still don't like the fight animation, Sonic himself might be even more obnoxious than in Sonic Colors, and if these are the jokes they chose for their vertical slice, I'd sure hate to see the ones they're hiding.

...dude, come on. I'm not sold on the humor either, but at least the story looks like it's taking itself seriously. Perhaps it really is a turd and we're all just being optimistic, but can we at least wait until it's out before we judge? If Frontiers is anything to go by, your shonen Sonic ain't going anywhere. It's just getting a new, slightly-more obnoxious counterpart for the kids.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Looks?

The aesthetics or the animation?

The animation, I maintain looks pretty flimsy.  The aesthetics I think are actually pretty good, but they also feel like a lot of flash to appeal to children with short attention spans.  Also I was kind of being creative when I brought in the sound part, but overall by "looks", I meant "seems".

2 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Meanwhile, on Melrose Ave. in Los Angeles...

\ace attorney lawyer GIF by Funimation

...dude, come on. I'm not sold on the humor either, but at least the story looks like it's taking itself seriously. Perhaps it really is a turd and we're all just being optimistic, but can we at least wait until it's out before we judge? If Frontiers is anything to go by, your shonen Sonic ain't going anywhere. It's just getting a new, slightly-more obnoxious counterpart for the kids.

If they don't want people judging things by their trailers, they shouldn't be releasing trailers.  Also this is not about me wanting "Shonen Sonic" at the expense of, say, Looney Tunes Sonic.  More comedic takes on the character are fine by me; I like Sonic Boom, I like the movies, I like the Sonic LEGO Dimensions level, I even like the occasional joke in Pontaff-written games.  But when all of the above are funnier than anything I saw here, why shouldn't I judge?

As to the premise that takes itself seriously...it's a waste, for reasons I said above, or at least that is my stance until demonstrated otherwise.  It looks like it's mostly just an excuse to put characters in a bunch of goofy clothes.

I'm still going to try to watch it, so my mind is not closed.  But it is skeptical.

not having everyon'es mouths awkwardly plastered on the side of their faces what is Netflix thinking huge failure inbound.

• Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

2 hours ago, Starnik said:

The show looks really cool so far. It might end up as my favorite Sonic cartoon. 

I hope this show turns out really good!

The idea of this cartoon is growing on me. I blame Frontiers for putting me in a good sonic mood. With that being said, I REALLY do wish we'd get a sonic show that takes places in his earth instead of these wacky themes. Sonic X would've been PERFECT.. but we did the other world trope and blargh. Sonic's voice is growing on me, I hate tail's voice with a passion. Just because he's 10 doesn't mean he needs to SOUND like some bratty snot nose kid. Bring colleen back PLEASE. And Eggman.... the less I say about his voice the better. 

I'mma give it a go when it pops on the 15th because I'm curious but I long for the sonic anime that takes itself seriously like Sonic adventure 2 and takes place on Sonic's earth completely. Tho this makes me think of a question...

Satam Sonic meets Shonen game Sonic. Who wins? Do they fight? How does Satam Sonic treat Eggman and Shonen Game Sonic treat Robotnik? 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Remynaka said:

Just because he's 10 doesn't mean he needs to SOUND like some bratty snot nose kid.

It actually does.

5 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

First look at some Prime merch

Wow, the cartoon series haven't come out yet and it's already getting merch.

Not too abnormal, especially when the cartoon is tied to a brand like Sonic the Hedgehog. If there's money to be made, investors and creative executives are quick to jump in on it.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Not too abnormal, especially when the cartoon is tied to a brand like Sonic the Hedgehog. If there's money to be made, investors and creative executives are quick to jump in on it.

That is true.  I might get these stickers once the show comes out.

Did you know there is going to be more Sonic Prime footage at the Game Awards event and Netflix Geeked Toon In Livestream this Thursday?

• Thumbs Up 3

In addition, Gizmodo has an article with exclusive first-look images, as well as an extended synopsis confirming that the alternates of Sonic's pals will have different personalities and abilities. They won't recognize him, either, and he'll need to convince them to unite and help him fix his reality. I know there are gonna be some folks here that will be disappointed to hear that, so sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

It also confirms that Shadow is indeed helping Sonic on his journey to "save the friends that he took for granted". So there's also that.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

In addition, Gizmodo has an article with exclusive first-look images, as well as an extended synopsis confirming that the alternates of Sonic's pals will have different personalities and abilities. They won't recognize him, either, and he'll need to convince them to unite and help him fix his reality. I know there are gonna be some folks here that will be disappointed to hear that, so sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

It also confirms that Shadow is indeed helping Sonic on his journey to "save the friends that he took for granted". So there's also that.

The whole "save the friends that he took for granted" angle sounds really interesting!

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So it appears that Roblox will be showing the first episode of Sonic Prime 5 days early in Sonic Simulator.

I've never felt more old that I do right now. They're airing the first episode of a new cartoon in a game, that itself is built within another game?

Fuck it. I'll wait for the VHS. 

Just now, Blue Blood said:

I've never felt more old that I do right now. They're airing the first episode of a new cartoon in a game, that itself is built within another game?

Fuck it. I'll wait for the VHS. 

Now that you mentioned it, having Sonic Prime premiere on Sonic Simulator, which is apart of Roblox is actually pretty weird...

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, SonicWind said:

Why would I be disappointed over something so obvious? Just cause they are alternative version of the group doesn't mean they share the same memories or experiences.  (Ex: Stone Ocean. Will not spoil it you haven't see it or prior parts). 

Edited by Zoomzeta
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

Why would I be disappointed over something so obvious? Just cause they are alternative version of the group doesn't mean they share the same memories or experiences.  (Ex: Stone Ocean. Will not spoil it you haven't see it or prior parts). 

And this can offer very interesting situations for Sonic.  Also, I'm interested in the whole "taking his friends for granted" angle.  That's something I haven't really seen explored in any Sonic media.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is this SEGA's way of apologizing for spending a decade acting like the "Sonic's Shitty Friends" detractors were the entirety of the fanbase?

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Is this SEGA's way of apologizing for spending a decade acting like the "Sonic's Shitty Friends" detractors were the entirety of the fanbase?

I think so. That or the huge success of Knuckles and Tails on the big screen might have changed their stance on Sonic's friends.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

11 hours ago, SonicWind said:

The only disappointment from this article is that there’s only 8 episodes:

The show consists of one 40-minute episode and seven 20-minute episodes, and premieres December 15 on Netflix.”

Bummer.

8 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

And this can offer very interesting situations for Sonic.  Also, I'm interested in the whole "taking his friends for granted" angle.  That's something I haven't really seen explored in any Sonic media.

I wouldn't say that.

Chronicles focused its entire first act on Sonic taking his friends loyalty and respect for granted. There was a lot of tension in the group because Sonic just assumed he would step back in as the defacto leader even after shunning his friends for an unspecified period of time. The comics also often used that concept as well. Sonic assumed Tails would fall in line in the House of cards act - which lead to a rebellion. Boom Sonic had to get Ego checked multiple times over needing to rely on his friends more often than not.

3 hours ago, The Famous Sonic said:

I thought there's going to be 24 episodes. 

We already knew they were gonna release the episodes in chunks. We'll end up with 24 but we will not get the whole series in one go.

• Thumbs Up 7