Awoo.

New game Ideas?

Eternal EX

Of course, I want it done well. You just seemed to nitpick.
I don't see it as nitpicking. How and how often a character is used is a pretty damn big part of writing a story, and overuse of a character and poorly planned use can kill the impact of the character in a good case and kill the entire story at worst.

Also, I still want someone to critique my full ideas.
H'okay.

What about one wherein reality gets tangled up?
I think '06 was enough of a reality-blender for a good, long time. These things tend to sort of choke themselves to death anyway unless you've got a really good writer on board and take the time to plan it out; they're generally more trouble than they're worth.

All of a sudden, for example, Chip and Sonic, the latter in his Werehog form, are standing someplace weird, such as on top of the Metal Overlord.
I know you don't want to hear this, but it must be said: why the hell is Chip here? The whole point of the ending of Unleashed is that Chip's gotta go to sleep for a few thousand years and thus he and Sonic will never see each other again. You can't have Chip just be there without any explanation, and you'd need an explanation approaching brilliance to justify it anyway.

Also, why the hell is Sonic turning into the werehog again? Dark Gaia sucked out the dark energy that was causing the transformation, so it shouldn't be happening. And why of all places on top of Metal Overlord's body? You need reasons for these things...

Sonics and others from different time periods are stuck in this one, the "present", pretty much.
...and then the whole thing just turns into a clusterfuck of pointless fighting. There's no story here; it's just a bunch of people fighting. It might make for some pretty-looking cutscenes, but it's got all the depth of a piss puddle even compared to the average Sonic story. There's just...there's no point to any of it.

It turns out our scientist "friend" caused the mass reality-warping, and his newest invention is crazy strong.
Soooo what the hell is his plan supposed to be? To bring together all the people who can and will kick his rotund rear, in their powered-up forms no less? What could this possibly accomplish, besides him getting his ass beat? Has he suddenly become a glutton for punishment or something?

Also it's not enough just to say he has a "crazy strong" invention. At least make some effort to describe the thing, what it's capable of, and again, what the fuck he's planning to do with it.

All Sonics merge,
Wh...how...why in the three green hells would the various Sonics merge?!

then Chip reconstructs the Gaia Colossus, Blaze goes Burning, Sonic, Shadow and Silver turn Super, and Tails and Knuckles regain the Superball, with Tails commanding.This is still not enough, so Eggman is tricked into the beam of the Eclipse Cannon.
Why? Why bother bringing the Eclipse Cannon into it? It does nothing for the (essentially nonexistent) story.

At the end, although reality is patched, unlike 06, the events still exist in the timeline, and all involved parties recall said events.
But how is it all fixed? The Sonics have fused (for some inexplicable and probably borderline insane reason) so how do they un-fuse so they can go back and finish whatever fight they were in before the spacetime wedgie brought them here? And how does anyone get back to where they were supposed to be? Why the hell were they here in the first place?!

For god's sake, man! Going into this I wanted to just give it a basic "well it sucks" and be done with it, but the more I try to make sense out of it the more it feels like there are ticks running around in the wrinkles of my brain, nibbling at my precious neurons.

Hmmm...

The idea behind the Werehog is on the verge of being morally reprehensible, his move set is varied and versatile to the point where I think the concept should be expanded on.

First off all, it's not going to be "Sonic the Werehog". I'm going to go with an Altered Beast revival (No PS2 game, m'kay?). You know about how in the early conceptual stages of the character that lead to Sonic eventually became Ristar? That's kind of what is happening here, only with the original concept having actually been used once already.

Anyway, you might not have noticed (The game doesn't seem to expect you to), but there's a surprising amount of depth to the Werehog's move set. Unfortunately, this isn't taken advantage of in game, the enemies barely do anything at all. It's better that way in Unleashed, but that's because there are a bunch of moves that can't be easily canceled out of, for example, that rapid barrage of kicks thing seems to have a minimum amount of time it has to remain active.

I found the Werehog's platforming to be rather awkward, and I think the barrage of pitfalls is to blame. Seriously, Ninja Gaiden 2 doesn't have any of these at all, I really doubt the Werehog needs them either.

Ok, now here's where the real innovation comes in: A real time grappling system. Imagine, for a moment, a manually engaged system wherein you are able to perform moves similar to the QTE finishers in real time. I've seen parts of it in other games. I find this to be a funny comparison, but if you compare most any colossus fight from Shadow of the Colossus to the Colossus battle from God of War. If the kid were able to crawl around quickly and responsively, you could be genuinely fighting the thing while you're on it, rather than being a puzzle boss. Imagine if instead of half heartidly trying the shake you off if instead he were to start scratching around on his back looking for you, but you are able to evade it because you can move with sufficient speed to do so.

Once you have that, you are able to perform maneuvers that look like God of War QTE's in real time.

I will add on to my last idea.

First off, Chip and Werehog were from during Unleashed.

They have no idea what's happening, and run around trying to figure it out.

Like I said, the meetup only happens near the end.

Eggman was trying to rearrange reality so everything was about him.

His machine looks like multiple Bulbmons, one on top of the other, with a window in the middle of each body. Instead of the "arms" and "legs", there are pinchers with flexible arms, three on each side of each body, It is red, of course. There are multiple defenses. First, there is a layer of something flammable, which Burning Blaze, well, burns. Then, loose steel is uncovered, that Super Silver PKs out of the way. The next layer is of stone. Superball Knuckles punches through this. The next has special weakpoints, which Superball Tails hits. Next, one that needs to be hit quickly is revealed, and Super Sonic rushes it. The final one is of pure Chaos Energy, and Super Shadow shorts it out. Finally, Chip, in his Gaia Colossus, rips off the top body. Of course, the heroes also have to dodge attacks. There pattern also must be repeated each time, with the order of defenses changing.

When only the bottom body is left, a barrier not even the Gaia Colossus , Super Shadow, or Superball Knuckles can break is deployed. This is where the Eclipse Cannon comes in.

Jack: Fail. Then Shadow would be to slow. But I do kinda see what you mean. LOL mix 50cents engine with the hog engine. :-P

goodone121: INTERESTING. Bringing backk the MEGA cannon for something and saying super hogs and knux are strong enough. Sounds like a winner soo far.

I hope that the next Unleashed-like game won't be so dissapointing on the Wii. The 360 is gorgeous, and I feel bad for Wii owners (we have both versions) as the Wii version seems to empty. I wished they'd make it so that a game on 360/PS3 and a game on Wii/PS2 won't be so different to each other somehow.

I hope that the next Unleashed-like game won't be so dissapointing on the Wii. The 360 is gorgeous, and I feel bad for Wii owners (we have both versions) as the Wii version seems to empty. I wished they'd make it so that a game on 360/PS3 and a game on Wii/PS2 won't be so different to each other somehow.

I remember watching all versions of the Dark Gaia battle on youtube and feeling like I was missing out on the fun with my measley old PS2 version.

Hmm, what about splitting the series in 2? One would not be a watered-down version of the other, and the BSN plothole could be solved, by putting the Future! characters in the PSP60 canon, and the Alternate Dimension! versions in the DiiS2.

Eggman hires Fang to keep Knuckles busy while Eggman takes the Master Emerald, which he uses to power his latest doomsday weapon. Sonic and Tails then set out to stop him. Knuckled joins in too, and Amy is a supporting character. Eggman also sends Metal Sonic out to slow the heroes. Shadow is an unlockable playable character.

Was that so hard?

Edited by Indigo Rush

Most of the ideas I've been reading here, are real ridiculous, it's funny. Some of them are also pretty selfish. Catering to only your needs. Oh well, it's not like anybody here will get a job working on the next sonic.

...Personal?

It was aimed at the whole thread, not one person.

True. I was dissing mostly everyone. Edited by lounge

Most of the ideas I've been reading here, are real ridiculous, it's funny. Some of them are also pretty selfish. Catering to only your needs.

It's not too different than the actual games really. IIRC, Tetsu Katano justified Black Knight by saying he's always wanted to see Sonic with a sword.

It's not too different than the actual games really. IIRC, Tetsu Katano justified Black Knight by saying he's always wanted to see Sonic with a sword.
It's not like he put it in a main series game. Considering it's a story book title, and takes inspiration from king aurthur's story, it's not out of the ordinary. The characters act just the way anybody would expect them to.

He picked the Arthurian setting as an excuse to give Sonic a sword.
He was put in charge of the next storybook game, so I don't see how it's an excuse. The Arthurian setting plays a huge role.

Also maybe, he brought in the sword concept because he didn't want to have just another sonic game where you run fast. Sonic unleashed already had that. He was probably thinking that the game needed a catch, to pull people in. I don't see how it's bad thinking.

He said that he had always wanted to see Sonic with a sword. The sword came before the setting. If he thought the sword would serve as a hook, he's just a tad retarded for not realizing why people buy Sonic games.

He said that he had always wanted to see Sonic with a sword. The sword came before the setting. If he thought the sword would serve as a hook, he's just a tad retarded for not realizing why people buy Sonic games.
The point is that he and his team were able to make the setting & story suitable for the concept. People buy sonic games because of the character. They're just adding on top of that idea. If a person walks into a game store, and see's the game, their reaction might go along the lines of "Hey, he's got a sword. This could be interesting." At least, that's what I think the team's intentions were.

Sonic game based all around the theme of water! So like, underwater ruins and temples and such. Or an underwater city...

Honestly though, SEGA needs to bring back water stages. I loved them! ;-; Also the water graphics are beautiful on the 360 consoles, so it should definitely be 360 exclusive, no Wii. >-> I would like to see how SEGA handles that and all, water effects I mean.

The point is that he and his team were able to make the setting & story suitable for the concept. People buy sonic games because of the character. They're just adding on top of that idea. If a person walks into a game store, and see's the game, their reaction might go along the lines of "Hey, he's got a sword. This could be interesting." At least, that's what I think the team's intentions were.

No, I'm just looking for Sonic being Sonic.

Yours is not the only opinion that counts, Phos. Even though some others may feel the same way as you, there are yet others who feel differently.

I bought Black Knight because it was Sonic. If it was some other franchise like Mario with a sword, I would have avoided it. So I buy it because of the character.

BACK ON TOPIC - I'd like another storybook game. Since the two so far have turned out well, I think I'll let Sonic Team decide what gimmick they'll put out next. I know people are going to whine and complain about it, but I'll give it a chance first. I liked the combination of the original story (Arabian Nights, King Arthur, etc.) and Sonic's world. The gameplay was fun in both.