Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It’ll probably just be a non-canon one shot, like TSR. They then might decide to bring it into canon later.

IDW Sonic is it’s own continuity - it’s just based on the games and takes place after Forces, but it’s in a continuity of its own that doesn’t have to follow games that come out after (hence why TSR was a one-shot standalone issue). 

This is also probably for the best because SEGA play fast and loose with what characters Ian is allowed to use, case and point being Ian having to scrap plans for Infinite because they didn’t allow him. Dadonpa and any further new characters could be in the same boat. If Ian ever does get access to them, he could probably just say the game happened off screen with a caption saying “check out Sonic Rangers for the full story!”.

So will IDW just constantly have events off-screen? That seems like the status quo will forever be restricted given that the world always has to be built in a way to allow the events of the games to happen off screen. I guess things like the Resistance must always be a minor footnote lest we ask where they were in the events of certain games.

I highly doubt SEGA is going to allow very different introductions/backstories for characters/locations/objects introduced in the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was honestly pleasantly surprised by how Knuckles was characterized in the anniversary issue; I was fully prepared for how he was in Mega drive and Mania Adventures and just being more of a doofus. While yea, there are some jabs at his intelligence here and there, he's actually somewhat respected. 

• Thumbs Up 6

9 hours ago, Slashy said:

How will IDW handle Rangers?

Are we doomed for a year long story arc based on an existing story? (I highly doubt we are getting any major plot deviations with adaptations)

Or are all games gonna happen off screen?

Like Ryan said I'd expect a one-shot but honestly if they did do a canon Adaptation I'd expect it to be handled in a miniseries or possibly a maxiseries like maybe 8 issues tops.

Like I sincerely doubt it'd run in the main book. Guys you need to realize IDW isn't Archie. Crossovers will be their own books. Adaptations will be their own books. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just read #40, #41, and the 30th. Not much to say about #40, kindof agree with everyone else. Really the only thing I wanted to add is that I hope Belle gets a bit more interesting/fleshed out now that her "reveal" has been done with. Belle's going to stick around, especially with Evan Stanley's stories it seems, so I kindof want to like her more in the future.

#41: Yeah, again, the Zeti aren't exactly the most interesting. But y'know what, sometimes the best stories is just having an unstoppable force terrorise the good guys, and see how the good guys have to prevail in the situation. I honestly keep forgetting at times how violent the Sonic comics can be, I think Ian Flynn takes a perverse pleasure in terrorising the Sonic cast sometimes. I actually laughed at the panel of Zeena pelting a Chao, guess she is still bitter about her fight against Cream. Saying that though, I am also sortof hoping this arc ends with the Zeti being sent back to the Lost Hex for a while. I like them but I just can't see how you can use them long term. Use them for one more arc, then write them out and only bring them back if you have an idea for them. But yeah, I have hopes for this arc.

30th: I enjoyed this alot. It's just fun, well written, really nicely drawn. Granted, I haven't read the Archie Mega Drive issues. (I'm still stuck around issue #220 in the chronology, and at this point honestly I feel like I need to re-read the whole comic again before resuming where I left off.) So I can't compare the quality of that to this. But I think this special does its job, has some nice humour. I think the Sonic Driving part really is the hidden gem of this, agree with another user on here, those writers for that need to come back, I'd love to see that kindof wit applied to the current IDW continuity. I only bought the digital version of this, but do plan to buy the deluxe physical version when it comes out later.

Classic Sonic: Mixed feelings altogether on the concept of Classic Sonic. I think stuff like the 30th works very well in isolation. I'm not that convinced it can work in the long term. I actually think Classic Sonic would be better suited to something like a webcomic, y'know, maybe one that gets published once a week and gets shared by the Sonic Twitter. Or indeed, if we were sticking to the Archie structure of issues having an "A" story and a "B" story, I think Classic stuff could work as "B" stories to be lighter comedic affairs to the more serious mainline issues. But ofcourse that isn't the IDW structure. I guess you could do something like very early Archie, with something like 3 or even 4 stories per issue, but I'm not really sure I'd be that invested in such a thing, at least for a monthly comic.

I really do think the lesson of something like the 30th is that this kindof thing works in small chunks. I mean at the risk of going political, I think it's fine having Classic Amy being your only female character for a one off like this, but for a long running thing? I wouldn't say it's "problematic", I don't want to imply it's offensive or anything, but considering Flynn and co's efforts to bump up the female roster in the IDW run, I would think Classic Sonic would probably need the same thing.

Road to the 50th: Pretty good news. Really any news that continues to show that the run is doing well is always good news. I do wonder a few things about this, the obvious implication of another mini-series is one. Kindof wonder if this'll be something more in line with something like - I think - Sonic Universe #9-#12, the arc that tied in with the Iron Dominion? Something abit more tied in with what is going on in the main book, rather than being more spin-offy? Just a guess purely from the wording, but I am very curious. Second thing I wonder is how this will fit in with the trade releases? #45-#48 being a sortof 4 parter, then #49 leading directly into #50? Then #51-#52 being a 2 parter? And finally, I also wonder if with them building up the release of #50 this early, think we might get a bumper issue for #50? Perhaps a double sized special issue? That would be really neat.

#45 Solicit: By premise alone, I think this will be at least stronger than the #37-#40 storyline. I think Evan Stanley has some real strengths when it comes to character interactions, so a road trip/camping holiday for a mix of 4 girls I think should produce something pretty interesting I think. I kindof wonder how this will begin this epic storyline to #50 but I guess we'll see. Kindof disappointed Whisper isn't apart of this, although as she is my favourite of the IDW originals that is purely my bias. Tangle is getting alot of screentime lately, she may not exactly be as important as Sally was for Archie, but at this point she feels like an essential character to this run. I can't imagine her getting written out or her importance being diminished, at least for the time being.

Second Monthly Series: Said it before but yeah, I think it is something I hope Sonic can graduate too. Again, no idea how IDW works, but I mean, if Sonic can be succesful enough to get mini-series sold and annuals and one shots sold, I don't really see how a second monthly series can be that far out of reach. Sonic Universe again is probably a good idea, I think that is a good crowd pleaser since it pretty much means characters in IDW can get the spotlight at some point. Saying that though, I actually wonder if another idea might be to give it to a character like Tangle, or Tangle and Whisper, or other IDW original character. It seems like once an IDW character is approved and off the ground, there is a lot less mandate to worry about. I kindof wonder if it might be a good idea creatively to have the second series focus far more on original IDW characters, which would hopefully mean a bit less Sega oversight. Obviously not too far removed from Sonic the Hedgehog, but maybe something that could allow for some more experimental or risky storylines. I dunno, just food for thought.

• Thumbs Up 4

Random question: we all know that Archie Sonic is the longest comic based  on video game, but do we know any runners ups?

From my research
- Both Mega Man  (Archie) i and Tomb Raider (Top Cow) had 52 issues, (both dead)
- If you count "all comics ever made" then Tomb Raider and Street Fighter have around 100.
- Nintendo Power was magazines with comics in it and lasted 285 issues.

I'm just wondering if IDW Sonic can soon become 2nd longest comic based  on video game

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Random question: we all know that Archie Sonic is the longest comic based  on video game, but do we know any runners ups?

From my research
- Both Mega Man  (Archie) i and Tomb Raider (Top Cow) had 52 issues, (both dead)
- If you count "all comics ever made" then Tomb Raider and Street Fighter have around 100.

I'm just wondering if IDW Sonic can soon become 2nd longest comic based  on video game

It's weird in the world of licensed comics video game comics just don't last that long. The other 2 longest running licensed comics Marvel's G.I. Joe which I thing was like 150 something issues and Marvel's Conan which Sonic just barely managed to top before Archie lost the license. Ironically IDW ended up continuing the G.I. Joe comic and Conan's rights are back at Marvel now. Time's funny like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure where it falls since it's not a western licensed comic but Pokémon Special/Adventure is still an ongoing thing with a long, roughly connected narrative that is exclusively based on the games with some changes here and there. 

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It's weird in the world of licensed comics video game comics just don't last that long. The other 2 longest running licensed comics Marvel's G.I. Joe which I thing was like 150 something issues and Marvel's Conan which Sonic just barely managed to top before Archie lost the license. Ironically IDW ended up continuing the G.I. Joe comic and Conan's rights are back at Marvel now. Time's funny like that.

Most comic licenses were throwaway prior to the 2000s, and thats not taking into account the huge early 2000s slump they were in. 

And Sonic was pretty much an accident as far as licenses are concerned. 

• Thumbs Up 1

IDW will be releasing a prequel story to the Sonic 2 movie.  I do wonder how the Sonic movie will look like in the IDW format.  Will it have the same artists from the comics or will they have different people working on it?

• Thumbs Up 5

Synopsis:
Life is good in Green Hills for Sonic the Hedgehog. Maybe too good. He’s starting to get bored, and when Sonic gets bored, things become a lot less boring for everyone else—fast! Quicker than you can say “Chili Dog,” the Fastest Thing Alive is saving the day and causing all sorts of chaos along the way! Can Tom and Maddie help him keep his secrets now that he’s gotten a taste for heroics? Plus, new and returning characters starring in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 take the lead in stories of their own!

Well thats just neat. Its a four part mini-series that'll release just before the movie airs in theaters. That'll be cool. Wonder who is on writing duties.

• Thumbs Up 7

25 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

IDW will be releasing a prequel story to the Sonic 2 movie.  I do wonder how the Sonic movie will look like in the IDW format.  Will it have the same artists from the comics or will they have different people working on it?

Since Tyson Hasse contributed to both Archie and IDW comics and redesigned movie Sonic, I wouldn't be surprised if he would work on the comics. Though I'd love to see Evan Stanley's art because she has very interesting style of drawing human characters (you can find such art on her DeviantArt)

• Thumbs Up 2

Not to be the negative guy in the room, but what are the odds these mini series books get delayed past their ship date and release after most of us have seen the movie? 

As for the comic itself, it's not taking real estate away from the main book so I am all for it. Might even get some extra shine for movie verse Tails and Knux 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sega DogTagz said:

Not to be the negative guy in the room, but what are the odds these mini series books get delayed past their ship date and release after most of us have seen the movie? 

As for the comic itself, it's not taking real estate away from the main book so I am all for it. Might even get some extra shine for movie verse Tails and Knux 

Technically it's a mini series, so it'll be several months release from the movie before fully coming out. Even if the first issue was delayed, and even then it only is releasing a few days before the movie. 

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Wouldn't be a big deal to be honest. Prequels can be enjoyed either way.

• Thumbs Up 3

59 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I can see this being a bit concerning since IDW is notorious for delaying their books (IDW Sonic anyone?)  Anyway, I'm hoping that this comic series releases on time.

On that note, I guess the movie comic is why Ian Flynn was trying to avoid a question on his podcast.

I think someone asked him what he was looking forward to/hoping to see in Sonic 2 or something like that. But then he responded that he was going to dodge that question because even if he was not working on the movie itself, he was in a position where he "knew things" that others didn't know yet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This is interesting, but I also wonder: is this the 4 issues the synopsis of number #45 mentioned as being part of the build up to issue #50? Or is there another 4 issue mini-series in the works? I think it is a very good move for this to be a tie-in prequel, rather than just a straight up adaptation.

Fans are drawing fanart of background characters

E5yVTWIWYAQLx6Y?format=jpg&name=900x900

This one is by Mintywhisker on Twitter

• Thumbs Up 3

43 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

This is interesting, but I also wonder: is this the 4 issues the synopsis of number #45 mentioned as being part of the build up to issue #50? Or is there another 4 issue mini-series in the works? I think it is a very good move for this to be a tie-in prequel, rather than just a straight up adaptation.

It's 95% likely it is a mini series. If you look at the details for the compilation on the website it says it collects issues #1-4. That means they have been given an independent numbering separate from the main series. 

It also means that individual issues 1-4 should be released monthly at some point later this year before being combined into a large volume right before the movie comes out. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Fans are drawing fanart of background characters

E5yVTWIWYAQLx6Y?format=jpg&name=900x900

This one is by Mintywhisker on Twitter

What a swanky overbite you have

So since that solicit is for a trade I guess that means that we'll be getting a Sonic movie miniseries alongside #45-48. Though that confusesme a little because I would have though the Miniseries would be a part of the 10-issue storyline since Evan said that #50 is the end of season 3 so I can't imagine it being part-7 of the storyline. 

3 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

So since that solicit is for a trade I guess that means that we'll be getting a Sonic movie miniseries alongside #45-48. Though that confusesme a little because I would have though the Miniseries would be a part of the 10-issue storyline since Evan said that #50 is the end of season 3 so I can't imagine it being part-7 of the storyline. 

I thought that the movie comics were its own thing that's not tying into the current comics?

On 7/2/2021 at 12:13 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

From my research

Super Mario Kun easily squashes that record.

And Pokemon Special just beat it.

3 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I thought that the movie comics were its own thing that's not tying into the current comics?

Yeah that's kinda what I'm getting at. It's weird to advertise a 10 part story but the only miniseries that seems to be coming out is an unrelated movie tie-in.

• Thumbs Up 1