Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

32 minutes ago, Pale Stereotype CC14 said:

42 preview! Tracy's back on interiors!

Is this a friggin Zoom meeting call?

And doesn't he mean action? Kudos to Tails on actually coming up with a solution, though.

• Thumbs Up 4

Team Chaotix is all I need to enjoy this next arc. Also the promise of retiring the Zeti for a bit, lol.

5 hours ago, Pale Stereotype CC14 said:

42 preview! Tracy's back on interiors!

For some reason, there's always something really refreshing about seeing Tracy back on pencils after a stretch. It's not even because there's anything wrong with the artists, and I know he filled in some pages on the classic special and stuff, but it's always really nice when he sits down and cranks out a few issues before letting another artist take over again.

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

For some reason, there's always something really refreshing about seeing Tracy back on pencils after a stretch. It's not even because there's anything wrong with the artists, and I know he filled in some pages on the classic special and stuff, but it's always really nice when he sits down and cranks out a few issues before letting another artist take over again.

I think it's because it's been so long. 2 years according to Twitter. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I refuse to believe it’s been 2 years since he’s drawn an issue. Time please slow down.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

I actually got that feeling yesterday and today. My copy of IDW Collection Vol 1 finally arrived and seeing all of the early issues with Tracy, Jennifer, Adam, and Evan working on different issues felt like a nice fresh breath of air. I like Evan and Adam's art as much as the next guy, but the comic definitely could do with a bit of variety, so it's nice seeing Tracy back with his signature style. It's still pretty weird to me too that Jennifer was only on Issue 3 (to my knowledge) and nothing else in IDW, I really liked her artwork in Archie Sonic, so it's a bit sad not seeing her on IDW much anymore.

Another random thing - I may be mistaken, but has Adam ever leaned back into the art-style he had for #7 of IDW? That one is still easily one of the best drawn of the series and I can't remember if Adam ever did another issue on scale with the kind of frantic energy that issue had.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

What? It really doesn't feel like it

10 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Another random thing - I may be mistaken, but has Adam ever leaned back into the art-style he had for #7 of IDW? That one is still easily one of the best drawn of the series and I can't remember if Adam ever did another issue on scale with the kind of frantic energy that issue had.

Seems like he's committed to being more on-model as the book has gone on. That, and we haven't had an issue focused purely on a fight between two characters like that since then. Committing an issue to something like that is a pretty big risk but that one is still a standout for me so I think it'd be worth it to try again. 

I remember IDW Sonic #24 specifically reminding me of 7, but the tone was much less frantic and more tragic there.

12 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah, from what I recall, he's been having some personal issues resulting in him being unable to meet deadlines, so he's taken a bit of a break from regular pencil work. Hopefully things are starting to get better for him.

I don't believe this was shared (came out the same day as the leak) but slightly related to the movie there is a special compilation of comics focused on Sonic and Tails. But it seems this at least was an official solicitation. Issues 1,13, 34, 35

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1413170256424624130

Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles “Tails” Prower. Best friends through thick and thin, they’ve always got each other’s backs. Celebrate the terrific twosome with these three high-speed, high-flying tales full of action and adrenaline.

First, Dr. Eggman is missing, but his rogue robots are still running amok, and only Sonic can stop them. But he can’t do it without Tails!

Then, the best buds are trying to take a break, but something stinks. Looks like baddies can have best friends too! And finally, Tails and Sonic explore an abandoned Eggman base, but they’re not alone! Can they trust the intruder? No worries. If thirty years of friendship has proven anything, it’s that they’ll be fine as long as they’ve got each other!

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, mitsunari88 said:

I don't believe this was shared (came out the same day as the leak) but slightly related to the movie there is a special compilation of comics focused on Sonic and Tails. But it seems this at least was an official solicitation. Issues 1,13, 34, 35

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1413170256424624130

Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles “Tails” Prower. Best friends through thick and thin, they’ve always got each other’s backs. Celebrate the terrific twosome with these three high-speed, high-flying tales full of action and adrenaline.

First, Dr. Eggman is missing, but his rogue robots are still running amok, and only Sonic can stop them. But he can’t do it without Tails!

Then, the best buds are trying to take a break, but something stinks. Looks like baddies can have best friends too! And finally, Tails and Sonic explore an abandoned Eggman base, but they’re not alone! Can they trust the intruder? No worries. If thirty years of friendship has proven anything, it’s that they’ll be fine as long as they’ve got each other!

Always fascinated by these weird kind of re-releases. Guess it is very much aimed at kids or for parents of kids who have never heard of the IDW run, and maybe there way to get into it. Just a shame that if they do decide to invest into IDW which would probably be through those 4 issue volumes so they'll wind up rebuying the issues in this collection. Doesn't help that it's like the 10th re-release of issue #1, and you get the middle of a story with #34 and #35, not seeing how it starts or resolves, unless they plan to just use the Sonic and Tails Eggman base sub-plot and cut off the A story of Rouge and co at the Chao races.

But y'know, obviously not aimed at us fans, and really anything that gives a boost to the comics is fine. Pain in the ass for collectors I imagine though.

Apparently in two recent podcasts, Ian's said something interesting stuff about Two Worlds. Or.. what's interesting is what he isn't saying.

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/656167539102138368/has-ian-commented-something-recently-about-the-two

"Once again, I can't get into details right now, but I... I wouldn't be too concerned about that kind of detail anymore. I'll get into it more later, but don't worry about it for now."

What do you think? He knows something? Is the end of Two Worlds nigh? Maybe the Encylospeedia will shed some light on things. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Razule said:

Apparently in two recent podcasts, Ian's said something interesting stuff about Two Worlds. Or.. what's interesting is what he isn't saying.

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/656167539102138368/has-ian-commented-something-recently-about-the-two

What do you think? He knows something? Is the end of Two Worlds nigh? Maybe the Encylospeedia will shed some light on things. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but we'll see.

Why does everyone assume its done? If anything its just gonna be double downed more if the movie has shown anything. The basic gist is probably that they're gonna elaborate on it in the encyclospeedia. 

• Thumbs Up 4

While I don't care for the Two Worlds thing, supposedly the whole series is pretty much based on it, since the days Yuji Naka was there. 

Not saying that means Two Worlds is a  good idea. But rather that it isn't easy to write over in terms of series lore (even if there are contradictions). And as was mentioned, the movie is also based on the Two Worlds Idea. The whole ring portal is how the series bible supposedly dictates travel happens between Sonic's world and the human world. Again, not saying I agree with it, but it is hard to assume it is going away soon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Razule said:

They're probably gonna introduce the human planet in issue #60 or so, I'd wager. Perhaps with an evolved form of Zombots (or something similar) to pay homage to Snyder/Boyle, same way the first arc owed much to Romero? I don't think we've seen the last of them yet... especially with mutations in the Metal Virus being teased and then never delivered upon.

My bets are:

1. "Don't worry about it" means "It's not worth trying to figure out because it doesn't work" 

2. "Two Worlds" becomes more specifically two landmasses on the same planet, still separate though

3. "Don't worry about it" means he's in the process of fixing it up to make sense

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Razule said:

At this point Ian has full control over the series' lore since he's writing the Encyclospeedia, and if he wasn't going to change it, he wouldn't have phased it that way and just said "it doesn't make sense but that's just how it is" or something similar rather than being ambiguous.

22 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

At this point Ian has full control over the series' lore since he's writing the Encyclospeedia, and if he wasn't going to change it, he wouldn't have phased it that way and just said "it doesn't make sense but that's just how it is" or something similar rather than being ambiguous.

Not to sound combative, but just because he is writing the encyclopedia does not mean he has control over the series lore. He is pretty much the messenger who is weaving it together,  but he isn't able to remove stuff he doesn't like without approval from Sonic Team/SEGA. In fact on his podcast he often talks about the thinks SEGA tells him he wasn't allowed to do or that he has no choice to abide by including the Two Worlds stuff which he is also not the biggest fan of but just deals with. So the encyclopedia is just him relaying the info in an organized matter. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I wonder, does ANYONE even like the Two Worlds concepts outside of western classic Sonic purists and human haters?

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Slash said:

I wonder, does ANYONE even like the Two Worlds concepts outside of western classic Sonic purists and human haters?

And kids who grew up on Sonic X in Japan. 

• Thumbs Up 1